Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

All too often disagreed not only with Mayock's individual evals, but moreover his rankings. 

Just, feels so amateur hour. Can my posts serve as a resume? I'd like a shot. 

Honestly, why hire Mayock when if what you want is his input, all you need is an internet connection? 

Mayock's final rankings 2016

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656285/article/mike-mayocks-2016-nfl-draft-position-rankings-50

Quarterback

1. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State 
2. Jared Goff, California 
3. Paxton Lynch, Memphis 
4. Connor Cook, Michigan State 
5. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

Rise: Hackenberg (NR)
Fall: Dak Prescott, Mississippi State (5)

Running back

1. Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State 
2. Devontae Booker, Utah 
3. Derrick Henry, Alabama 
4. Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech 
5. Kenyan Drake, Alabama

Rise: Booker (3)
Fall: Henry (2)

Wide receiver

1. Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss 
2. Corey Coleman, Baylor 
3. Josh Doctson, TCU 
4. Will Fuller, Notre Dame 
T-5. Sterling Shepard, Oklahoma 
T-5. Michael Thomas, Ohio State

Rise: Coleman (3)
Fall: Doctson (2)

Tight end

1. Hunter Henry, Arkansas 
2. Jerrell Adams, South Carolina 
3. Austin Hooper, Stanford 
4. Nick Vannett, Ohio State 
5. Beau Sandland, Montana State

Rise: Adams (3)
Fall: Hooper (2)

Offensive tackle

1. Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss 
2. Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame 
3. Jack Conklin, Michigan State 
4. Taylor Decker, Ohio State 
5. Germain Ifedi, Texas A&M

Fall: Jason Spriggs, Indiana (T-5)

Guard

1. Cody Whitehair, Kansas State 
2. Joshua Garnett, Stanford 
3. Christian Westerman, Arizona State 
4. Connor McGovern, Missouri 
5. Isaac Seumalo, Oregon State

Center

1. Ryan Kelly, Alabama 
2. Nick Martin, Notre Dame 
3. Max Tuerk, USC 
4. Evan Boehm, Missouri 
T-5. Graham Glasgow, Michigan 
T-5. Jack Allen, Michigan State

Interior defensive line

1. DeForest Buckner, Oregon 
2. Sheldon Rankins, Louisville 
3. A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama 
4. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss 
5. Jarran Reed, Alabama

Rise: Robinson (4), Nkemdiche (NR)
Fall: Reed (3), Andrew Billings, Baylor (5)

Edge rusher

1. Joey Bosa, Ohio State 
2. Leonard Floyd, Georgia 
3. Shaq Lawson, Clemson 
4. Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma State 
5. Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Linebacker

1. Myles Jack, UCLA 
2. Reggie Ragland, Alabama 
3. Darron Lee, Ohio State 
4. Su'a Cravens, USC 
5. Deion Jones, LSU

Yeah I frequently disagree with Mayock too.  I think he got too draftnikky over the years.  Started covering his ass and getting sucked into the groupthink rather than continuing to give his unvarnished and original evaluations.  I liked him better when he was going out on a limb to say things like Robert Ayers would be the best defensive player in the class, even though it was wrong.  He saw something in his game that he believed in and didn't give a **** what the groupthink said.

Among the media guys, I like Louis Riddick.  I don't know how he is at evaluating college players, but he's good at evaluating pro players.  If not for GM, I like him for some sort of front office job.

Hmm.  Actually I don't have a problem with those 2016 Mayock rankings except I think he had Nkemdiche and Leonard Floyd too high.  Other than that, those rankings look really good.

On 7 March 2017 at 9:09 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

#Colts and #Skins both contacted the Bengals about the 9th pick during the 2017 NFL Combine.

Not sure I want us to do that, what's the cost, probably our 2nd rounder and a flip of later round picks. Maybe to jump ahead of NO to get Foster. Don't like the idea of giving away high round draft picks though.

14 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

All too often disagreed not only with Mayock's individual evals, but moreover his rankings. 

Just, feels so amateur hour. Can my posts serve as a resume? I'd like a shot. 

Honestly, why hire Mayock when if what you want is his input, all you need is an internet connection? 

The last line of you post killed you. If the Redskins want your knowledge, all they need to have is an internet connection and go to ->

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah I frequently disagree with Mayock too.  I think he got too draftnikky over the years.  Started covering his ass and getting sucked into the groupthink rather than continuing to give his unvarnished and original evaluations.  I liked him better when he was going out on a limb to say things like Robert Ayers would be the best defensive player in the class, even though it was wrong.  He saw something in his game that he believed in and didn't give a **** what the groupthink said.

I think NFL network has taken his soul. He used to be the guy who would just work film and give his opinion about a guy. He didn't care what they did at combine. He didn't care what the teams said. He would call does pro comparisment off combine numbers just crazy. He just did his own thing. Stick to the film. 

But yeah...the NFL wants to make the draft as big as possible. So they kinda forced him in becoming more engaged in the entertainment part...and all the crap around it. 

I like Mayock the best when he gets all schoolgirl gigly about a prospect. Like Aaron Donald. He was just so in love with him as prospect. A lot of people questioned if he had the size...but Mike just was like ''I have seen him on a football field, this guy is a beast''. 

At this stage I can see Gruden looking for a RB high in the draft. First round would not surprise me now. WR can wait for me, if Pryor comes up big then both he and Crowder will be looking for money in the near future. I'd address that in 2018/19. TE is set.

Long, Moses and eventually Scherff may all need payday's soon. Potentially even Ty Nsheke.  I'd add OL high in the draft this year to balance the cost out.

If we can get Logan in today, DL becomes very solid. I'd want more edge rush. ILB sucks, plus I want another DB. We have a massive gap at FS and potentially CB if Breeland tanks. 

So for this years draft - RB, OLB/DE rusher, ILB, best DB, best OL.....Would be flexible based on how the board flows, buts that's my 5 positions through 4 rounds.

I'd even consider using 5th, 6th,7th rounders to edge back up the draft. All these damn comp picks in the third round piss me right off, pushing our fourth rounders down.....Finally, if the boards a wash at #17, drift back to snag another 2nd or 3rd. Stacks of options.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

With Scot we kinda knew where the draft was going. Now I have no idea. I think ILB, PRer and secondary are still a priority. 

They apparently still have Scot's draft board and guys like Breer suggest they are likely going to use it.  But wonder if Jay-Manusky now are more instrumental to how the draft plays out.  I thought it was interesting that Manusky highlighted corner when he was asked about needs.  And we know they met with a bunch of corners and a bunch of D lineman at the combine.     With us having the UF secondary coach in the fold, I wonder about Wilson, Tabor.  Tabor might slip to the 2nd round with his poor 40 time.  Laconfora among others keep saying they hear both in FA and the draft they are going very top heavy defense. 

If the rumor is they are looking to trade up (which sounds very un-Scot like) wonder if its for a specific player who they expect to go top 10.  Solomon Thomas?  Foster?  Adams-Hooker?

I'll was being a little careful previously now I'll be blunt.  He summed up prep to me by saying he's studying D line, D line, D line.  I know I've made the point before but some questioned whether I was missing some nuance to it.  The reason why it actually stood out so much was there was no nuance at all.  He was blunt as a sledgehammer.   However, if they keep signing D lineman maybe that urgency dissipates. And I hope they do sign more D lineman -- come on Bruce please sign Logan! :)  He wasn't in a panic about MLB that's why I've played that down.    But now we got an-ex MLB running the defense so perhaps that changes.

If is the Bruce ego show.

We wont draft OLB because Trent is Bruce his puppy.

We will draft a WR because Bruce wants Doctson to fail. Show Scot messed up  (opinion Bruce). 

Probally draft a RB early because thats high succes rate. 

We wont draft Dline man because "reasons". 

-----

Question 

We thought this was a deep good draft but Patriots have traded away a lot of picks. Can we read from that that they don't like this years draft? 

7 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

We will draft a WR because Bruce wants Doctson to fail. Show Scot messed up  (opinion Bruce). 

-----

Question 

We thought this was a deep good draft but Patriots have traded away a lot of picks. Can we read from that that they don't like this years draft? 

Hopefully not true.  But its a funny summary. 

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

-----

Question 

I hate everything about your post lol.

45 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Question 

I see it more as the Pats riding the Brady train to its last end.

Once they lose a HOF QB that takes a below market salary because he's married to a supermodel who outearns him, I think they fall off really quick.

Archived