Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

3 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Ruben Foster failed his combine drug test. Pretty sure that takes him off our board.

Hot story! Hot news. Breaking. You should bring it with more excitement. :P I was now like...huh what is this guy saying?

Source: https://www.google.nl/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801347/article/alabama-linebacker-reuben-foster-failed-drug-test-at-combine%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%3Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%3Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Devent%3Ddraft%26sr%3Damp

Damn.  This probably does take him off our board and move Reddick up on most boards.  Doubt we can get Reddick at #17 now.

I'm sure teams have already known this for a while.  Now we know the real reason we've been hearing about Foster's stock slipping in the draft.

23 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Ruben Foster failed his combine drug test. Pretty sure that takes him off our board.

I guess I need to see what the substance was he was trying to hide.  Shouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker.  Could be an opportunity to buy low situation somewhere later in the draft.

His test came back as diluted, which is treated as a "fail". I'd be ready to take him off my board, but I'd trust that the scouts did an adequate background check to see if he'll be an issue. If they say take him off they board after the check, we should do it without thinking twice about it.

I remember a couple years ago Timmy Jernigan and Zach Mettenberger both had diluted samples and I don't believe either has had any trouble with the drug policy since entering the league. Randy Gregory was a different case, because it was known he had a drug issue in school.

All draft picks are hit or miss. Randy Gregory either was smoking weed or chose not to show up to multiple drug tests. We don't know exactly the results of the test for substance, just that he didnt pass. According nfl.com, the test was marked as a failed test because initial results marked it as an attempt to dilute the sample due to excess water?. Reports don't mention substance abuse. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801347/article/alabama-linebacker-reuben-foster-failed-drug-test-at-combine

1 minute ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

I don't get your analogy. Randy Gregory plummeted down draft boards the day before or, a few days before because he got caught with weed.

He has been suspended many times, and his latest one year suspension were all for "substance abuse", not PED

I'm saying Gregory had a weed addiction, while it's likely Foster's suspension came from him taking supplements to increase his weight in time for the combine.  Drafting someone with a weed addiction is a lot more risky. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinking about a current hot speed rusher:  Vic Beasley had a 1.59 10 yard, and a fast 40 in the 4.5's.   I think we have enough power rushers.  Kerrigan-Preston-Murphy aren't fast.  They aren't guys IMO you can line up wide in 3rd and long and can tee off on the QB.  But I'd take another power rusher if they are consistent.  None of our pass rushers IMO are consistent.

To my naked eye Reddick plays fast. And his numbers back that up.  TJ Watt is a fun watch -- with speed that's decent.  A guy like Ryan Anderson at least speed wise would fit who we currently have as edge rushers, maybe even a tad slower considering his 10 yard time.   Jordan Willis' numbers are good and he has good intangibles, too.   My opinions on this aren't hard and fast so if you or anyone disagree, I am open minded.  I haven't studied every player here closely.  This is purely if we went all pass rushers.

Round 2

1.  Willis

2.  Bowser

It's funny you mention Jordan Willis because he is my favorite speed rusher and in my top 5 of Edge players overall.

A few other notes:

1. I'd rather have a dedicated pass rusher in a guy like Willis if we go for a speed rusher as opposed to Haason Reddick playing primarily at ILB then switching outside on 3rd downs. Both you and Cooley both think speed rusher is a big need for this team so i'd rather have a full-time one in addition to any player we draft at ILB instead of trying to kill two birds with one stone in Reddick.

2. I just think the hype of Reddick has become too rich for my blood. If we draft a college OLB to transition inside to ILB its going to take any of them time to adjust, regardless of how talented Reddick is. So if we go that route I'd much rather draft either Ryan Anderson or Tyus Bowser. Like Reddick, they both can bring the pass rushing aspect of their games to the ILB position and still line up outside in pass rushing sub packages if we wanted.

3. Our need for speed at the ILB position isn't as desperate with the signing of Zach Brown

4. I love that Manusky wants ILBs that can bring pressure and its a great draft for those types of players (Reddick and Ru Foster included)

My ILB rankings/favorites for the Redskins are as follows:

1. Jarrad Davis

2. Ryan Anderson

3. Tyus Bowser

On 4/19/2017 at 4:29 AM, Morneblade said:

If Fournette drops and is there are 17, take him. Run to the podium.

If Cook is there, and he is your BPA, take him.

I don't have a 1st round grade on McCaffery, in fact I have him behind Mixon. Who will be there in the 2nd round. So no matter what, he is not BPA for me.

As far as I'm concerned, there are better OLB, ILB, S, and CB that will all be BPA @17. I think one DL will be there. The fact that all those positions are also a need is even better.

After that combine, the shoulder injuries, and the character flags, word is that Cook already dropped to round 2 if not lower on a ton of boards. Cook will be there and we won't take him barring a major shock. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

To be fair, a weed addiction is a lot more risky for a team to gamble on than PEDs.

Yes and no.  Weed isn't normally -- but can be sometimes -- performance enhancing.  PEDs def. are.  Take away the PEDs and you have Trent Murphy 1.0.

2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

It's funny you mention Jordan Willis because he is my favorite speed rusher and in my top 5 of Edge players overall.

A few other notes:

1. I'd rather have a dedicated pass rusher in a guy like Willis if we go for a speed rusher as opposed to Haason Reddick playing primarily at ILB then switching outside on 3rd downs. Both you and Cooley both think speed rusher is a big need for this team so i'd rather have a full-time one in addition to any player we draft at ILB instead of trying to kill two birds with one stone in Reddick.

2. I just think the hype of Reddick has become too rich for my blood. If we draft a college OLB to transition inside to ILB its going to take any of them time to adjust, regardless of how talented Reddick is. So if we go that route I'd much rather draft either Ryan Anderson or Tyus Bowser. Like Reddick, they both can bring the pass rushing aspect of their games to the ILB position and still line up outside in pass rushing sub packages if we wanted.

I've touted Willis on this thread some, though its been awhile.  I like Reddick over Willis in part because he seems to play faster.  He plays to his speed IMO more.  Reddick as he actually talked about on Path to the Draft can bend and get low. As Cooley mentioned he's slippery.   Willis to me seems a bit stiffer.  But if they trade down I like Willis just not at #17.  Reddick can also rush from the MLB spot.    Per the other players you mentioned, I like Jarrad Davis too if they trade down.

54 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

After that combine, the shoulder injuries, and the character flags, word is that Cook already dropped to round 2 if not lower on a ton of boards. Cook will be there and we won't take him barring a major shock. 

Will see.  Doubt it if Casserly is telling the truth -- he said he polled a bunch of teams' front office people and asked them to choose their favorite running back in the draft and 7 of them choose Cook.  Casserly says if Cook falls to #17, Redskins got to take him.  Granted I take Casserly with a grain of salt.  But still I seriously doubt Cook falls into the late first let alone into the 2nd.  Tampa supposedly is infatuated with Cook and want him at #19.  B. Westbrook publicly urged the Eagles to take him.

Heath Evans just now on the NFL Network was talking up Cook to the Giants and said wow if that happens. I can't see Cook getting past so many teams.  And it would give me heartburn if he ends up in Philly or NY.  Our team is bad enough stopping the run as is.

3 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Yes and no.  Weed isn't normally -- but can be sometimes -- performance enhancing.  PEDs def. are.  Take away the PEDs and you have Trent Murphy 1.0.

Huh?  Weed can sometimes enhance performance?  I've never heard that before.

And I was saying drafting a guy with a weed addiction is more risky because it's impossible to know whether the player can truly get rid of a habit he's likely had since his early teens.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've touted Willis on this thread some, though its been awhile.  I like Reddick over Willis in part because he seems to play faster.  He plays to his speed IMO more.  Reddick as he actually talked about on Path to the Draft can bend and get low. As Cooley mentioned he's slippery.   Willis to me seems a bit stiffer.  But if they trade down I like Willis just not at #17.  Reddick can also rush from the MLB spot.    Per the other players you mentioned, I like Jarrad Davis too if they trade down.

Will see.  Doubt it if Casserly is telling the truth -- he said he polled a bunch of teams' front office people and asked them to choose their favorite running back in the draft and 7 of them choose Cook.  Casserly says if Cook falls to #17, Redskins got to take him.  Granted I take Casserly with a grain of salt.  But still I seriously doubt Cook falls into the late first let alone into the 2nd.  Tampa supposedly is infatuated with Cook and want him at #19.  B. Westbrook publicly urged the Eagles to take him.

Heath Evans just now on the NFL Network was talking up Cook to the Giants and said wow if that happens. I can't see Cook getting past so many teams.  And it would give me heartburn if he ends up in Philly or NY.  Our team is bad enough stopping the run as is.

Cooks combine was horrific and combine's, specifically 3 cone, agility/burst related drills plus minimum speed requirements have a huge correlation with success, add in the shoulder and the off field concerns and i have heard and believe that he will fall, quite a bit. Fournette and McCaffrey go top 15-20, Fournette as high as 4th potentially, then Mixon and Cook are the round 2 values, though Mixon could keep falling. 

5 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

For those wanting Reddick, like me, the Foster development is not good for us.

If Foster and Cook are there at 17; who would you take?     I want to say Foster, but I think I would go with Cook....or trade down

I gather Bruce and Scott Campbell are privy to info we aren't.  I've watched my share of Cook during the college season so I am sold just from that.  Foster I've been catching up on recently and the dude is dynamite to watch.  I'd love either pick -- presuming that the off the field stuff checks out where they are comfortable with either guy.   Reddick, Cook, Foster (or Adams or Hooker if they surprisingly drop)

Archived