Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Happy Independence Day

Burgold

Sometimes, Independence is helping a friend. Freedom links with duty and responsibility. It's not about going out, chugging a beer, or grilling burgers. It's not listening to a patriotic tune or watching fireworks. Sometimes, Independence is having the freedom to be there for each other and help when the call comes. It's about being by the bedside when your child is sick. It's about carrying a part of your brother's load. It's not about building walls, but tearing them down.

July the Fourth represents something different to me each year. I love this country. I acknowledge its scars. I still see a beautiful landscape with soft rolling hills, stark granite shoulders, and swift currents. I hear people, mostly good, struggle for their families and come to the fore after a tragedy. Blood, money, and prayers are swiftly given. I can even feel the drumbeat of that spark to believe in better, to be better, to do better.

This year, I cheer my Independence again despite those who try to steal it, diminish it, or try to force me to cower in the shadows behind a locked door. You can take my life, but not my freedom. You can press me with fear, anger, and rage, but not snuff out my hope. My strength comes not from a gun or bank account. It arrives United and Independent. 

I wrestle sometimes with the great dichotomy of the United States. We are a giving country that is too selfish. We are United and States.

United-- a community that needs each other, defends each other, supports each other. I am independent because of soldiers, marines, sailors, teachers, EMT, construction workers, farmers, utility workers, family, and friends.

States-- I stand as an individual, a solitary island able to be selfish to stake out and pursue my own needs and dreams Independently. Self drives me. I have been guilty of worshipping money and stuff. It is too often the God we praise most vocally.

However, we rise as one when called. We are there for family, for friends, for country, and indeed the world. We are still free. That means we are servants. That means we have responsibilities. I believe we still fulfill our requirements.

I am free enough to make my own choices, my own mistakes, and to choose to be the author of my own destiny. It's been an interesting though mostly sad year. Yet I am glad of it.

Happy Fourth of July

HTTR

(I wonder if anyone will read this whole thing lol. If not, I'm okay with talking to myself. That's a kind of freedom too.)

It's never too early to celebrate our freedom and independence. Well, for two of you it seems to be. Independence is celebrating your independence when you want to! Not when other subscribe it on a calendar. 

It's never too early to celebrate our freedom and independence. Well, for two of you it seems to be. Independence is celebrating your independence when you want to! Not when other subscribe it on a calendar.

It's all good, I was just curious if you knew exactly what day it is

Fireworks downtown start at 9ish, how long does it normally run for, anyone know? Been a bunch but never on a schedule before so I'm drawing a blank. I gotta be in Rockville at 11 for something and I think I should be good but just want to plan ahead

most are 20-30 minutes here

Actually - Burgold's timing was pretty spot on. The Continental Congress voted in favor of independence on the 2nd, not the 4th. The 4th was the day the resolution on independence was approved (our "Declaration of Independence").

John Adams believed the 2nd would go down as the more beloved day in the new nation's history because of that reason.

/pedantic

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life,

And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.

I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today,

‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.

‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

Archived