Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Cousins to be named starter week 1 against Phins

Commander Chaaarmnder

My off the wall prediction?

Cousins will be named starter Week 1, but it'll be off the notion that they have to have a QB to prep for that first game. They can't roll the dice prepping Robert without knowing he's going to play. So regardless of whether he's cleared or not, they're going to prep for Cousins to start Week 1.

HOWEVER...

Once Griffin is cleared, they end up starting him the following week, stating that it was always the plan for Griffin to be the starter this year.

And the entire sports media complex in this town, and half of this forum, completely melt down over it and begin to crazily demand that it's entirely "Snyder's Fault" (despite the whole "undisputed starter" thing basically began once McCloughan came on board).

I'm not absolutely convinced this happens, but it wouldn't shock me based on looking at a totality of the off season as opposed to a bunch of seemingly agenda driven leaks over a span of a few days. IF it happens, it'll just be yet another piece of glorious/horrible chaos to watch unfold. 

Gruden has been given 3 QBs and all of them have been given ample chance to show themselves.  I am not quite sure what more he can do. 

Makes for an intersting season.  If KC comes in, plays well but the offense shows significant improvement, then Gruden is justified for letting RG3 walk.  If KC comes in, plays poorly and offense doesn't improve, then SM and FO will feel justified in letting Gruden walk.

Really, only thing Jay can do is trust his decision and hope it was the right one.  In Januaray, we are either talking about a team on the rise or a team about ready to get totally blown up, coaches along with it.

That's really been the funny thing about how this entire thing has gone down....

There's two different possibilities that could both have the same appearance, and yet the media (and many on here) are acting like there's only one possibility.

Possibility One - They've decided to move on from Griffin despite earlier claims of him being the #1 guy this season. Kirk Cousins will be named the starter for Week 1, Colt McCoy will be name the backup, and Griffin will be inactive for that game.

Possibility Two - They've decided to stay the course with Griffin, but won't know if he's able to play for the Miami game until a few days before. As such, to properly prepare for the Dolphins, they have to have game plan for one of the other QBs. Kirk Cousins will be named the starter for Week 1, Colt McCoy will be named the backup, and Griffin will be inactive for that game.

In terms of what comes out from Ashburn Park, both of those two scenarios look the same. Cousins gets named the week one starter. However, what occurs after is VERY different with both of those possibilities. But the reality is, once you strip away all the "leaks" and all the "reports", both of those possibilities are ABSOLUTELY plausible. And yet, it's being presented as if only one of them is.

Which means that IF possibility two ends up coming to pass, it's going to be a nuclear meltdown in this town because the media has become so invested in it being only one possibility, and so many of the fans have bought it hook line and sinker.

I'm not saying that possibility two is correct, I'm not even saying it's likely; I'm simply suggesting that the certainty that so many people are stating with regards to this situation is being done with questionable logic and is potentially setting up for a really big disappointment.

As far as I'm concerned, Gruden's job security is now tied to Cousins. He pretty much ran RGIII out of here, now if Cousins craps the bed running his offense, then what?

I agree, IF this report turns out to be true, and Cousins plays very poorly, Gruden cant say he was giving both a shot to win the job this year.  He chose his guy, and his success will be tied to him.

Good.  So tired and ready to be done with all this RG3 crap.  Let's go Cousins, he may be shaky at times but I have faith in the guy and believe he can improve.  The fact that he understands the basics of the QB position is what gives me hope.  Not to mention he is humble, his teammates play hard for him, and he can produce on offense.

Grudens job has never been on the line, anymore than any other coach.

Griffin was already out week one

Everything else is fan driven bull****, correct?

Unless, we have some miracle season where we actually win a playoff game, Gruden is fired the day after the season ends. There is no way Scot McLoughlan is hitching his wagon to Fredo Gruden.

Well, if it takes some pressure off that twitter thread to allow other discussions besides QB to take place, this thread is a good idea

No doubt the twitter thread will be overrun with QB discussion regardless, but maybe this thread can help take some of the pressure off.

I'm with you.  I'm so tired of 3000 post threads, won't even go into em anymore.   

But wasnt Jay Gruden that same guy that championed Mccoy and let Cousins mentally self destruct 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/07/gruden-wants-to-see-if-he-can-build-a-team-around-colt-mccoy/

worst part is we all know Gruden wont make it past this season, he's too incompetent to be a head coach 

This is 100% not going to happen.  He's only in year 2 of a 5 year $25m guaranteed contract.  No chance Gruden is sent home after this season with a $15m check.  If he can turn Andy Dalton into a playoff QB, I don't see why Cousins can't be?

I'm so happy about this. I'm ready to move on. Even if RG ends up on another team and has success and Kirk doesn't pan out. I don't care.

100% agree!  Time to move on and let the circus go to a different town.

I'm putting together a montage of RGIII highlights set to "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLaughlin as we speak.

This will be just as sad as the ASPCA commercials that I refuse to watch.  Well done.

Good.  I think all Kirk needs to do is to learn how not to throw the ball to the other team.  Many great QBs have had to learn the same thing.

Versus RG3 who has to learn what the heck to do when he's in the pocket, something that great QBs aren't still learning in their 4th year.

cousins is the best qb on the team everyone understands it. whether he can in time become the good enough to become a multi year starter is in question and hopefully he answers that in the affirmative this year. Lets for the day, the week and until Miami feel good the Skins have taken a turn for the good!

One thing that needs to be done ASAP.  Find Russini's leak and get him/her the hell out of D.C.  Take a page from Tyrion Lannister's book.  Find the rat.

In general, the less that we replicate Tyrion Lanister, the better.  That said ...

I'm pretty sure this "leak" was either one of two things:

1. Something that they wanted out there, and they (Jay/SM) fed to her, probably through an intermediary, just so that it's out there prior to Gruden's presser

2. It's STILL pure speculation based on the facts, and ESPN is floating it out there in order to force Gruden to deny it at his press conference.  

Either way, I'm not sure that there's a rat to catch here.  

I'm so happy about this. I'm ready to move on. Even if RG ends up on another team and has success and Kirk doesn't pan out. I don't care.

I'm not happy about this.  Not because I'm ready to move on, but because only the 'Skins could have found a way to literally blow up the possibility of having a star QB for a decade.  It's clearly partially on Robert, partially on the team, but I think if the organization was truly professional grade, with good, stable management, good communication, etc., we wouldn't be here now.  

For whatever it's worth, Robert has all the talent in the world, and I will believe to my dying day that if he hadn't blown his knee out in the playoff game (which is on both him and Shanahan), he wouldn't have been such an ass, and they could have continued the type of development, using some R/O, some traditional, a la Seattle, and brought him along slowly.  And if he didn't have to go through an ACL rehab, he would probably have been ok with that.  

What could have been.  

But I agree, it's time to move on. 

I think it's probably the right choice. I'll admit I feel a bit sad about it. The promise of RGIII is a hard one to let go of, but Griffin is hurt again and doesn't seem ready. He played okay against Cleveland and could do nothing in Detroit. If Gruden believes more in Cousins then that is who he should coach and play.

As I said in my thread today... He better be right though.

I'm completely with you.  

Gruden better be right.  

In general, the less that we replicate Tyrion Lanister, the better.  That said ...

I'm pretty sure this "leak" was either one of two things:

1. Something that they wanted out there, and they (Jay/SM) fed to her, probably through an intermediary, just so that it's out there prior to Gruden's presser

2. It's STILL pure speculation based on the facts, and ESPN is floating it out there in order to force Gruden to deny it at his press conference.  

Either way, I'm not sure that there's a rat to catch here.  

I'm not happy about this.  Not because I'm ready to move on, but because only the 'Skins could have found a way to literally blow up the possibility of having a star QB for a decade.  It's clearly partially on Robert, partially on the team, but I think if the organization was truly professional grade, with good, stable management, good communication, etc., we wouldn't be here now.  

For whatever it's worth, Robert has all the talent in the world, and I will believe to my dying day that if he hadn't blown his knee out in the playoff game (which is on both him and Shanahan), he wouldn't have been such an ass, and they could have continued the type of development, using some R/O, some traditional, a la Seattle, and brought him along slowly.  And if he didn't have to go through an ACL rehab, he would probably have been ok with that.  

What could have been.  

I tend to blame the cap penalty as well...that extra $36 million was supposed to offset the draft picks given up to acquire Griffin.

The only way that he doesn't start week 2 is if he completely melts down emotionally and mentally.  And if that happens, it's even money that it's Colt vs. Griffin in week 2.  

Yep.

I think the only reason Gruden isn't saying anything beyond week 1 is because he wants the team to stay focused on week1.

The only way that he doesn't start week 2 is if he completely melts down emotionally and mentally.  And if that happens, it's even money that it's Colt vs. Griffin in week 2.  

If the offense just looks "meh" and barely scores--even while Cousins doesn't melt down--I could easily see them saying Griffin's 100% healthy now, back to our original plan.

I tend to blame the cap penalty as well...that extra $36 million was supposed to offset the draft picks given up to acquire Griffin.

Yeah, there's definitely some of that.  2013 was doomed because there was no way that that the 'Skins could overcome the lack of picks, the cap penalty, AND a busted knee/relationship between QB and Coach.

That said, you know, if you transplanted the entire Pats coaching staff/FO/Ownership to Ashburn, gave them the exact same scenario, 'Skins roster, cap penalty, Griffin, etc. I find it hard to believe that Kraft/Bill would have let the thing get so far out of control that the entire organization melted down.  They might not be able to create a playoff team out of the mess, but they would have handled it in a way that at least was professional.  

My thought, anyway.  

This is 100% not going to happen.  He's only in year 2 of a 5 year $25m guaranteed contract.  No chance Gruden is sent home after this season with a $15m check.  If he can turn Andy Dalton into a playoff QB, I don't see why Cousins can't be?

Sherm Lewis may be asked to give up his job as a greeter at Walmart.  I don't think Gruden has the internal strength of Zorn to be neutered on national TV and just take it.

If the offense just looks "meh" and barely scores--even while Cousins doesn't melt down--I could easily see them saying Griffin's 100% healthy now, back to our original plan.

I don't see how this coaching staff can justify another QB carousel after last year. You got 3 youngish QBs who are going to struggle because the team stinks.

Pick one so at least we are not back doing the same thing again next year.

Archived