Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 10/2/2016 at 7:32 PM, StillUnknown said:

Its a tough call for me. Daredevil wins on action and choreography, Cage had a better atmosphere and feel. I realize feel is completely subjective, but Cage connected with me in a way that Daredevil just can't.

I might have given the edge to Luke Cage right up until Cottonmouth subbed out for Diamondback.  They replaced a strength with major weakness in that trade off.  Cottonmouth was a fantastic character and Diamondback might have been the worst villain Netflix has delivered so far.  I still loved the series though.  Great atmosphere and interesting characters.  Misty, cottonmouth, and Mariah were all good.  So much so that they often over shadowed Luke Cage.  That's a good thing.  I'm undecided on Shades. 

Anyone think it was weird that Luke Cage's bar never came up?  Not an important detail and maybe it did and I missed it.  He was sweeping hair and washing dishes because he needed to be paid in cash but the whole time I was thinking, wait... didn't you own a bar in Jessica Jones?  Now all of the sudden he's broke and needing to be paid in cash? 

Also I would have gone to get some coffee with Patricia Wilson. 

• Like 2

One question from Luke Cage:  

Spoiler

what happened to the list of corrupt cops they mentioned halfway through the season and the guy Misty arrested?

Also I'm not a huge fan of Diamondback.  He was entertaining and the backstory was interesting, but really seemed overpowered for a normal guy both with and without his glove(s) and really dumb.

I was kind of rooting for Shades to kill the other villains for a good portion of the show, lol.  

I thoroughly enjoyed it overall of course and the music and atmosphere is great.  

Spoiler

Not sure what to make of the ending.

it was deliciously bittersweet, but seemed a little abrupt and gimmicky and uncertain as to how long it would last.

6 hours ago, Destino said:

I might have given the edge to Luke Cage right up until Cottonmouth subbed out for Diamondback.  They replaced a strength with major weakness in that trade off.  Cottonmouth was a fantastic character and Diamondback might have been the worst villain Netflix has delivered so far.  I still loved the series though.  Great atmosphere and interesting characters.  Misty, cottonmouth, and Mariah were all good.  So much so that they often over shadowed Luke Cage.  That's a good thing.  I'm undecided on Shades. 

Diamondback was too cartoonish once he was actually introduced

I thought Diamondback was fun.  I believe he was an homage to blaxploitation villains from the 70s.  I liked that he just went whole hog crazy instead of being a typical reserved/repressed crazy villain.  My only complaint with him was that I thought his motivation for hating Luke and turning to super-villainy was a little flimsy.  I bet that it was more fleshed out in the comics, but it would have taken a more in depth exploration of Luke Cage's criminal past to translate to the show.  And the show was not interested in portraying Luke as a former criminal--he was a wrongfully accused and noble character all the way.

My favorite line of the show was about Diamonback's costume.  "What the hell?  What type of Jean Paul Gaultere **** is this?  What are you, a pimp Storm trooper?"

One question I have is what is his connection to Justin Hammer?  How are they developing this technology, and if they were selling it to him, who else is running around with this stuff?  Seems too powerful for Justin Hammer to have invented.

• Like 2

Oh man, i  have not watched Cage yet, and in my drunken stage this afternoon, i have clicked on this thread.

So all i have to really say is i have not watched Cage yet, but i can't wait to do so... which is to say I CAN wait, because a series like this that I am really looking forward to has to be watched in the proper scenario,, no chance of phone calls, no chance of interruption.

Now, because I am in my cups and I tend not to read too deep in this thread for fear of spoilers..  the Defenders.

I am old. To me, the DEFENDERS are Magician, Fish-Man, Bird-nose, and Girl.  ... and of course, Hulk.
But it seems that the later defenders,, who were largely active in the worst period comics,, the early 80s.. are the team they will work with.

OK, but... (some of these things i have not seen introduced yet...  ?) 
A/ The Son of Satan has to be the son of Satan, not just some mutant with fiery powers, and he has to be more than some disaffected punk kid. He's the SON of SATAN for crying out loud. His own sense of  self value will not allow him to be some millennial whiner.

.B. Kyle Richmond has to be big in all of this, since he;'s the money behind the Defenders. Danny Rand has the money to do this, but it's a change in storyline.

C. Valkyrie? and if she's to be big, Black Knight? Without him, her story changes considerably.

D. If there's no Valkyrie,.... there's realy no Defenders

Anyway, i have lost my initial thought. Wine does that.  Answer any of this and i am sure it will rekindle whatever the hell i was thinking about 5 minutes aog.]

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3

He's talking about the classic Defenders roster that was Dr Strange, Nighthawk, Namor, Valkyrie, and Hulk.  My guess is that NONE of those characters will be in the Defenders show.  Which is disappointing no doubt.

As far as I can tell, this Defenders series is really just going to be a Heroes for Hire series plus Daredevil.  I don't expect it to be anything like the Defenders comic from the 70's.

Exactly.

You have to be up on Hulk lingo to follow me,  i guess...  the first 15 or so Defenders episodes were Marvel at their 70s finest, trying to tie satanic movie fads & C'thulu mythos into Marvel superheroes. If you read Marvel in the 70s, a lot of Lovecraft style horror crept in.. many series had their episodes in the new england countryside dealing with lost gods and cult horrors.

Defenders being chief among them.. with it basically being a Dr. Strange branch for the first 12 or so issues. it was much later. (what i call the 35 cent era and beyond.. Comics in large part sucked in the eras between a 35 cent cover and a 75 cent cover.) that it became a team of Iron Fist, daredevil, Son Of satan and more.

Given how the TV vs the Movie universe is set up, I doubt we will see Dr. Strange, Hulk or Silver Surfer in the Defenders, even though they are essential.

Heroes for Hire is more what it is. A non-team headed by Iron fist and Power man..  er. Luke Cage. 

I think i will love it even if it's not what I think of when I think "Defenders"..  fact is,   my view of it was only about 30 issues of a run of over 100.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

So when this super series kicks off and Castle, Cage, Daredevil, JJ and Iron Fist join forces, who's gonna be the bad guy(s)? Seems like Kingpin would be below their pay grade (okay probably not)

Black Sky/The Hand? The purple guy seems like he could've been the most compelling.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Bang, preach it, brother. They've basically introduced Heroes for Hire as a quartet, and started calling them The Defenders.

As a fanboy, I'm still over the moon about all this killer Marvel TV. But your Defenders are my Defenders.

• Like 3

Finished Luke Cage this weekend.   Great acting.  I thought the plot was a bit flimsy.  Cottonmonth didn't do it for me as a villain.   He was just your everday two bit ganster, granted a successful one.   

Another problem is that Cage's opponents were zero match for him, because of his superpowers.  Except

for Diamonback/Stryker when he had his suit, and if the foreshadowing is correct, will have powers to match Cage when that scientist guy is through with him 

Daredevil is the best of the Netflix Marvel series because of its villains, although Cage may have slightly better supporting roles.

Honestly I don't want to see Daredevil or Punisher "team up" Luke Cage / Jessica Jones.  He would have nothing to do.  Part of the reason why I didn't like Batman vs. Superman, not to the mention Flash/Arrow crossovers

They should have brought Daredevil in as his lawyer at some point during the series.  

I'd also like to see some cameos from the more powerful heroes at some point.  All those hammer tech weapons could have seen iron man dropping in and being a smarmy asshole.   Maybe have black widow pull off some sneaky stuff in the background with no explanation.  Captain America in the sports memorabilia shop after they fixed it up.  Small stuff like that tie the shows and movies together.  

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

They should have brought Daredevil in as his lawyer at some point during the series.  

I'd also like to see some cameos from the more powerful heroes at some point.  All those hammer tech weapons could have seen iron man dropping in and being a smarmy asshole.   Maybe have black widow pull off some sneaky stuff in the background with no explanation.  Captain America in the sports memorabilia shop after they fixed it up.  Small stuff like that tie the shows and movies together.  

I've been thinking about this as well. I understand wanting to maybe not have other superheroes steal the shine from the main stars of the show, but damn, what good is MCU if the U is missing.

In JJ it made sense, because nearly everyone would be under Purple Man's control, but I was shocked there was no one but Claire in Cage. No JJ, even though she nearly killed him.

It seems like a smaller world, but they make it seem larger than even the Avengers world, including Civil War, which was a Cap title but was a glorified Avengers movie.

I hope they work on this in the future

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Well, just finished watching the last episode of Luke Cage. 

One impression?  I'm usually one of those folks who doesn't like the recent trend towards trying to make The Bad Guys less bad, more conflicted or abused.  Almost always, I'm wanting to see villains who are more one dimensional.  More "bad for bad's sake". 

But this time?  I thought Cottonmouth was a better villain than Diamondback. 

Maybe it was because he had Mariah, opposite him.  Making him look more evil, by comparison. 

I also think that they left several loose ends.  But then, I like that about the things they've done, so far. 

There was one, though, that I really was expecting to be revealed, at the end, when they were doing the silent wrap-up of various things, revealing lost things, and so forth? 

Spoiler

I really expected a scene of the mic stand.  I mean, it's got to be somewhere. 

(I will simply dismiss as being too easy, to propose the theory that Shades wiped the mic stand down, and left it on the stage, and that there's simply some other mic stand, that had been missing for months, and is completely unrelated.  No, the missing one has to be THE mic stand.) 

I will certainly assume that Shades has it, and is holding on to it, for leverage.

On 10/10/2016 at 3:44 AM, Kosher Ham said:

Problem is that the hulk...is boring. 

No way.  Hulk is very interesting.. and even if the tortured soul / split personality angle isn't any good,, Hulk himself has been an amazing character in the movies. 
Avengers,, the fight with Thor on the Helicarrier is epic..   Hulk attacking the fighter jet was an incredible scene..  his battles in the big Battle of New York were equally "smashing"..  

In the second avengers,, which really, I didn't much like Ultron,, too smarmy.  But Hulk in a berserk rage fighting Iron Man was worth my 10 bucks.

read the Ultimates trade paperbacks...  Hulk is HULK. A murderous cannibal frat boy. A 12 minute "hulk event' results in 30 square blocks of destruction, hundreds of deaths, and all because Bruce banner's girlfriend was having dinner with Freddie Prinz, Jr..  and Hulk didn't like that. And of course, Captain America kicks his ass.
Hulk also destroys an invading alien armada because Captain America told him that the alien leader was making time with Banner's girlfriend while Hulk was away. "You THINK HULK NOT FIND OUT??!!'

He's not a good guy. Not some misunderstood monster. He's just a monster.

There may not be a better Marvel series in the last 20 years than the first two TPBs of Ultimates.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

41 minutes ago, Bang said:

Avengers,, the fight with Thor on the Helicarrier is epic..   Hulk attacking the fighter jet was an incredible scene..  his battles in the big Battle of New York were equally "smashing".. 

Best scene in the movie: