Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONFIRMED: Scot McCloughan has accepted offer to become Redskins GM: Per Michael Robinson, Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport

Boss_Hogg

Who makes the call on the coaching staff now, Allen or McCloughan? Seems strange to be interviewing new DC's without our new GM if he makes the call

You do realize that McC could be telling Allen who to bring in, before actually being officially hired, right?

Guys can talk and scheme before these things materialize.

If Scot is as good as advertised and he pushes the team toward legitimacy this much  is guaranteed ... 

He reports to no one. 

He will wield the power, even over Snyder - obviously I mean this figuratively. I would not say this in year three of Snyder's disgusting reign, but it's year 15 and he is weak.  The Skins are prime for the taking and the power will go to whoever shows the first signs of competency. 

I think, what we can expect, is a full clean.

Outside of a few untouchable studs (Kerrigan, Trent ... maybe Breeland) ... no one is safe and this roster will be injected with all sorts of new young talent.

Before this news I wanted OL/DL in the draft. I still do, but I also trust this re-build in the long-run ... as in 3+ years. I trust that if we don't hit one position this year, it will be eventually addressed. As in ... maybe we go DL+CB in the draft this year and don't touch OL til the 5th. I'm okay with that. I trust this guy 100x more than anyone else who's ever been here. I trust that 3 years from now, we will be much stronger, and whether that's because we got Player A in 2015 or 2017, we got him eventually.

So that being said, we have a LOT of holes. I would love it if we just stockpiled picks, because I fully trust this guy to hit some HRs in this draft, and the more picks the merrier.

As much as I would like a full clean, we have to keep in mind potential cap penalties. Does anyone have a list of players with expiring contracts or are in their last year?

You do realize that McC could be telling Allen who to bring in, before actually being officially hired, right?

Guys can talk and scheme before these things materialize.

Still think it is better for him to meet the people personally & then you can ask them all sorts of questions to see how well you'd work together.

The question was also related to Jay, is there any possibility he goes in the next week

Allen is basically Snyder's consiglieri. He's there to make sure Snyder doesn't do anything rash and undermine McLoughan or anyone else, so it makes sense that McLoug would report to Allen.

It's kind of a win for Bruce since it seems his job performance is no longer linked to on-field wins or losses.

I feel like I need to bump my "We don't understand the kind of bad owner Snyder is" thread. Because it was brilliant and would have explained everything to you.

Snyder's problem is not that he interferes. Snyder's problem is that he is a god awful manager who creates a toxic environment of back-biting and one-upping that destroys the team every year.

McCloughan is an incredibly talented dude. I think he will find players. The problem is that envirionment is always going to exist here and we just threw an emotional alcoholic into the mix.

I still think having Bruce Allen as a buffer zone eliminates that problem.  The problem now is getting competent people in the right place.

He'll frozen over pigs flying all that good stuff.

Snyder learned his lesson just hope it pans out cause I so deeply want a sustainable good team

Wise statement especially the Snyder learned lesson quote.  This is the 1st time Snyder, IMO has given total control to a true GM.  IF it doesn't work out will he ever do it again.  IF it does workout, which I think it will he will be so happy he made the move (Snyder with Allen's convincing) to do it.

Gruden picks his coaches.

On the defensive side of the ball, he better go with Wade Phillips.  IF he picks Barry he's lost his mind and probably his job in another year.  He'd better think carefully when he picks his new DC!!!

I feel like I need to bump my "We don't understand the kind of bad owner Snyder is" thread. Because it was brilliant and would have explained everything to you.

Snyder's problem is not that he interferes. Snyder's problem is that he is a god awful manager who creates a toxic environment of back-biting and one-upping that destroys the team every year.

McCloughan is an incredibly talented dude. I think he will find players. The problem is that envirionment is always going to exist here and we just threw an emotional alcoholic into the mix.

I'm not gonna lie to you, this is my main concern.

We can hire the smartest, most capable guys in the world but if you don't give them the environment to succeed, he won't be able to produce.

Well, he gave Jim his full support during his season-ending press conference. Saying if it were up to him, Jim would stay. So he was either BSing or he faced insurmountable pressure to not bring him back.

Jim stepped down of his own accord.  He wasn't fired.  Whether he was pressured to do so is another question, but he was probably feeling it from a lot of directions.

Well, he gave Jim his full support during his season-ending press conference. Saying if it were up to him, Jim would stay. So he was either BSing or he faced insurmountable pressure to not bring him back.

Eh.

I think Pudgy Gruden is the Anti-Bellichick. He talks and talks and talks at press conferences and I'm not sure he's even aware what he is saying half the time.

And then he announced the two spoke and decided he should move on.   Same thing Coughlin did.   

Praise the Lord the decision over Hasshole was taken out of his hands.

Hail.

Kinda.

By Haslett who agreed to move on.

Archived