Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Gruden's plan if he doesn't believe in Robert or Kirk?

NoCalMike

So first we have to assume a few things.

1) Gruden is not a fan of any of the three QB's currently on the roster

2) Snyder at least intends to give Gruden the five years in his contract

3) Gruden isn't going to modify the offense going forward

I am putting my personal opinions aside on the three Quarterbacks on the roster for a moment, and assume that to go all in on the Gruden era it means that there is going to have to be a new QB on this team as the starter, and soon.  How does this get accomplished?  Another season like this one and we will certainly be in position to draft a potential franchise QB, however that is never a guaranteed thing as this franchise continually learns, and that also puts Gruden in a position where it will be his third year before said rookie QB even sees the field.

A lot of people were thinking we should put AJ Smith in charge of football operations starting in 2015, well on the post game show they were saying that "inside sources" shared info that he is not a fan of any of the QB's on our roster either.

Right now this feels eerily similar to how the Shanahan era began, 

FTR, I love the idea and hope this thread stays objective and away from the Kirk vs. RG3 arguments. 

I honestly think we're in a tough position, no matter what happens at GM, HC, DC, OC, etc. 

1. We're not in position to get either of the two top QB prospects (which I personally wouldn't want anyway).

2. The FA QB market is weak.

3. Too many other holes need addressed (OL, S, DL) immediately.

I'd have to say that at least for 2015, we need to go with an upgraded offensive line and an open QB competition in camp.  Best man wins. If none of them pull away in '15 and show to be worth keeping in '16, then we look at QB as the #1 target in '16 (Gruden's third year).  The FA class that year is better than this year.  I don't know much about the draft class so one can only hope the '16 QB draft class will be better than this years.

At least that's what I would do if I were GM for a day (or year, or two).

You are assuming things that can't possibily occur.

1. Gruden does love Colt Mccoy would like to see him come back.

2. There is no way Dan Snyder let's Jay finish all 5 of his years of his contract.

3. There's no way that Gruden doesn't modify his offense some.

Yes, I know I am throwing your assumptions to the wind.  Sorry, I can't realistically see any of those assumptions really happening.

Snyder will want the Redskins to focus on Griffin until it becomes obvious even to him; that Griffin just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB.  That is going to take another 2-3 seasons.  So, if Jay doesn't agree with that; Dan will eat the contract and hire a coach that will.

If Gruden wants to be a successful coach; how can he not modify his offense? 

Also, Gruden will only be allowed one more year to show that he has what it takes.  If the team is playing this badly next year; Gruden is gone.

Well, Robert & Kirk are only under contract through 2015, so one or both will have to be extended if they are to be given "2-3 more seasons" to develop.

Also, I am not sure if Jay is actually a fan of Colt McCoy or just thought he was the best of the bunch.  

And I understand that he will make adjustments going forward, but I am assuming the basic fundamentals of the offense aren't going to change, namely, to cater to the kind of offense Robert was successful in before.

I agree with bradboyd80.

Neither of the top QB prospects excite me enough to spend #5 on them. And even if they did, I wouldn't expect either of them to present any kind of upgrade over Griffin, McCoy or Cousins behind this offensive line.

Spend our 2015 resources upgrading our offensive line. Not entirely, of course, but I would venture 2 of our top four picks would be appropriate, plus a FA acquisition. And let the QB situation sort itself out organically through open competition.

If it doesn't bring the team to an acceptable position by the end of 2015 - get rid of everybody.

I think the plan is to roll with a QB that doesn't turn the ball over, he's not fond of any particular guy, so we will probably bring in a veteran QB and let all 3 QB's compete for the starting job, possibly keeping Colt McCoy if there's no better option around in FA. Jay will only keep 1 of them as the backup and draft his guy in 2016.

The big problem I foresee right now is that he has to draft OL or bring in top flight FA's to fix the O-line, if he doesn't his offense won't work and he's out after next season. Now if they bring in a big name DC he will want to upgrade the defense in the draft and with top flight FA's.. We will have to choose offense or defense to fix or have one hell of an offseason.

Personally I would go OL, I think we have enough talent on defense that a new coach can work with, but again the new DC might not come here if he won't be given the resources to draft and bring in 1st round talent.

So the plan in my opinion is to improve this team to at least an 8-8 team that plays sound football before we bring in Jay's guy in 2016.

As far as improving the O-line. I know Iupati of the 49ers is a free agent, and while he is going to likely get a big pay day, he would be a huge upgrade to our interior line plus he is still young. A signing like that could allow us to go for a Safety with the #5 pick which is also a position of desperate need. 

Andy Dalton chokes once more in the first round of the paloffs

Bengals fans and coaches have now REALLY seen enough (not that they won before he got there)

Gruden convinces Allen and Snyder that Andy Dalton is really the guy we need here and he will make us instantly competitive again

they work up a trade of RG3 or Cousins and a 1st or whatever else they want (even though Dalton isn't worth a 2nd) and then we go on to be below average to mediocre for the next 2-3 years until Gruden gets fired then we go on in a typical Dan Snyder Clown Show fashion for the remainder of this decade.

As far as improving the O-line. I know Iupati of the 49ers is a free agent, and while he is going to likely get a big pay day, he would be a huge upgrade to our interior line plus he is still young. A signing like that could allow us to go for a Safety with the #5 pick which is also a position of desperate need.

I agree with you regarding Lupati but I still believe we have to spend our 1st pick on RT or another G.

HTTR

He has NO choice but to work with Griffin.

Gruden's an incompetent buffoon at this level no question. But he's not stupid enough surely to not realise if he wants to keep being a HC in the NFL (and there's.NO way he'd get that privilege for a LONG time after this catastrophic shambles); he HAS to find a way to make the relationship with 10 work as Roberts going nowhere either.

Anc the pull of being one of the very fortunate few to be a pro ball HC is surely a LOT stronger than continuing his dislike of our QB.

Surely?

Of course Snyder could always do the right thing and can Jays inept ass. But that's said.more in pleading hope than anything.

Hail.

I agree with you regarding Lupati but I still believe we have to spend our 1st pick on RT or another G.

HTTR

Yeah agree with that too, I know we need a safety and if the BPA at 5 is a safety we should take him but if not we should trade down, take the best RT in the 1st round and take a safety with our 2nd.

If we get Iupati we might be ok at G, maybe try Moses/Compton/Long there, or even draft a young Center and put Lichtensteiger back at G.

I think the plan for next year is not so much about QB, but more about the Lines, a new DC and the safeties. Or at least it should be, if anything was clear as day from this QB carousel ****storm of a season it was that no QB is going to be succesful behind this line with a team constantly trailing on the scoreboard because the defense is in Cover 0 all the friggin time giving up easy TD's over the middle..

You are assuming things that can't possibily occur.

1. Gruden does love Colt Mccoy would like to see him come back.

2. There is no way Dan Snyder let's Jay finish all 5 of his years of his contract.

3. There's no way that Gruden doesn't modify his offense some.

Yes, I know I am throwing your assumptions to the wind.  Sorry, I can't realistically see any of those assumptions really happening.

Snyder will want the Redskins to focus on Griffin until it becomes obvious even to him; that Griffin just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB.  That is going to take another 2-3 seasons.  So, if Jay doesn't agree with that; Dan will eat the contract and hire a coach that will.

If Gruden wants to be a successful coach; how can he not modify his offense? 

Also, Gruden will only be allowed one more year to show that he has what it takes.  If the team is playing this badly next year; Gruden is gone.

Robert will not be extended if he doesn't play better next year so that's one of your assumption's to the wind.  Snyder has never given a failure another contract.

His plan appears obvious.  Collect a paycheck for a couple of years and hope the NFL doesn't hold his stint with the Skins against him.

I stick to my assertion that Gruden was told that he absolutely could not play Cousins under any circumstances.  There is no doubt that Griffin will be the starter for the 2016 season, but Gruden will be gone by then.

I think (hope) priorities are OL and Safety this offseason. I don't think Jay has the type of OL he wants to run his offense. It was probably a mistake to try and mix his power run game with the zone blocking scheme since each requires different types of personnel. Need a big body for interior line and new RT (whether FA or draft). I think defense needs a Safety and corner but have enough talent to be much better with new leadership.

As for QB, I think Jay has been given green light to play the guy he wants (without FO demands) and believe he will give all 3 (I believe Colt will be resigned) every opportunity to take the starting job. I don't believe all 3 will be on roster, one will be traded or released to avoid any conflicts moving forward. If it fails, 2016 we will be looking at new QB either threw draft or FA.

Trying to stay true to the OP, and of course offer my opinion, I believe they will eventually move away from the current 3 QB's.  Unlike some who believe our current HC is incompetent, I believe that he at least understands how to evaluate a NFL QB.

We have three backup QB's on our roster.  Since the best backup QB at this point in time is probably Colt, plan on keeping him long term.  To be clear, I don't believe any of the three are any type of long term starting QB's.

But, I would give RGIII an entire off season to compete, but don't extend his contract.  Let him prove that he can play in this league by giving him a chance.  Maybe a miracle will happen.

So, what to do moving forward:

1.  Since I have always been a relative BPA person, we should start building the lines.  Use our picks to build the trenches, and that can be in any round of the draft.  I just want some quality players that come start, and prefer Oline over Dline, but passing on a premier Dline player just to draft Oline of lesser ability is not smart.

2.  While building the lines we still need to find a cover CB, 2 safeties, another LB.  I would also like to upgrade a TE among other positions of need.

3.  I don't have an answer for our future QB, but just know he is not on the roster today.  Since half the teams in the league don't have an answer at QB either, I don't feel bad that I failed to come up with one.

Bottom line, the owner sucks, but can't do anything about that so hopefully, someone in the FO thinks we need to think long term and starts to build the team this off season.  And, find some quality players in the draft.

Archived