Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A crackpot idea: What about trading up to draft QB Marcus Mariota?

kgor93

If they took a QB with the first pick, I wouldn't be mad. But trading more draft picks for one would be REALLY STUPID. I prefer Winston over the Oregon kid.

To the OP:

Why a QB over a lineman? You didn't explain the reasoning. What have you seen this season that suggest a rookie QB would thrive behind this offensive line?

Here's why. A great QB is much tougher to find then a tackle. A great QB makes the line better. Not saying a great QB is in this draft though. That's for the scouts to figure out. But if they think Mariota or Winston is that guy, they have to take him.

Here's why. A great QB is much tougher to find then a tackle. A great QB makes the line better. Not saying a great QB is in this draft though. That's for the scouts to figure out. But if they think Mariota or Winston is that guy, they have to take him.

This is the exact argument that was advanced for drafting RGIII last go round.  Get the QB, he raises the team up and you build around him.

Except we forgot the "build around him" part.  Sure, we lacked for a lot of tools, but we missed opportunities where they existed and added skill positions where we needed guys in the trenches.  

I was in the "draft Griffin" camp last go around, and I don't regret it one bit because I agree with your argument in principle, BUT I can't support it this go round.  I had thought this team was capable of building around "the guy," like most teams do, but I was wrong.  We're not.

We fundamentally cannot build a team.  We just don't know how.  And until we figure that out, there's no point in drafting a QB because we'll be right back here in 2017 or 2018.  Mariota will be Griffin 2.0, the same way Griffin is seemingly Campbell 2.0, and Campbell was Ramsey 2.0, etc. etc.

Normally I'd be all for drafting a franchise QB if we truly believed they were the guy.  Except we don't deserve to draft "the guy."  We'll turn "the guy" into "the Ramsey 4.0."

When we figure out how to actually draft decent players, THEN we can go draft "the guy."

IMO there is not a QB in this draft worth a top 10 pick - which likely will not stop 2 being taken. If there is any trading or picks for a QB I hope its someone trading up with us to take one of them rather than us doing anything stupid. Hell I would be very disappointed if we stayed put at say pick 5 and took a QB let alone trading up a couple of spots.

Just ****ing no. I don't want to trade a draft pick away for anything ever again for any reason

I wouldn't mind being on the Rams side of our trade.  Unfortunately we can't trade with ourselves, and if we did it would turn out against us anyways.

OK, no trades.

This is the exact argument that was advanced for drafting RGIII last go round.  Get the QB, he raises the team up and you build around him.

Except we forgot the "build around him" part.  Sure, we lacked for a lot of tools, but we missed opportunities where they existed and added skill positions where we needed guys in the trenches.  

I was in the "draft Griffin" camp last go around, and I don't regret it one bit because I agree with your argument in principle, BUT I can't support it this go round.  I had thought this team was capable of building around "the guy," like most teams do, but I was wrong.  We're not.

We fundamentally cannot build a team.  We just don't know how.  And until we figure that out, there's no point in drafting a QB because we'll be right back here in 2017 or 2018.  Mariota will be Griffin 2.0, the same way Griffin is seemingly Campbell 2.0, and Campbell was Ramsey 2.0, etc. etc.

Normally I'd be all for drafting a franchise QB if we truly believed they were the guy.  Except we don't deserve to draft "the guy."  We'll turn "the guy" into "the Ramsey 4.0."

When we figure out how to actually draft decent players, THEN we can go draft "the guy."

Winston is a much better pro prospect than Griffin. Haven't seen much of Mariota. Winston gets rid of the ball and can throw guys open. Not sure we should draft him because he needs to go somewhere that's probably stable. We have an unstable organization. But if the Redskins think he can be a great QB, and he's there when they pick they should take him.

I like the o.p. and the first part of his write up..fire all the current idiots on the staff ..shore up the o-line..if they do this then have at it moving up to get a q.b..dont listen to the homers around here. .I figured out long time ago they just like to hate...good write up o.p.

Dont feed the troll!

Seriously, how does one have the ability to shore up the offensive line without the draft picks you will be spending to draft a QB?  No thanks.  QB is not, was not, and will not be the problem with the Washington Redskins, and until the team realizes that they will stink.

Archived