Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are things as they seem?

MrWill

I do feel sometimes that this Gruden vs Griffin thing is a bit overblown. At least I hope it is. I'd love for it to work out. Maybe the media, along with the fans are getting too worked up when Gruden throws out some criticism about Robert. Gruden has called out several players in the media, the latest being Djax with the Philly media. Who knows? We'll see what happens.

that gruden candidness was a breath of fresh air when we only lost a couple games.

that gruden candidness was a breath of fresh air when we only lost a couple games.

Also much needed.  I get the idea that certain players had unrealistic views of themselves.  If it becomes news that you (Griffin) are NOT talking to the press, then perhaps you should have shut your mouth much earlier. 

It is incredibly hard to believe the events that continue to occur within the Washington Redskins organization on a weekly basis.  This week, Gruden continued to bash Griffin, talking about what he will have to do with the gameplan in order to 'make it possible' for Griffin to thrive.  I took notice of the moment that Griffin & Gruden had on the sideline in the first half, which clearly seemed positive.  Yet, all of the rhetoric anyone has to contribute involves the idea that Gruden despises Griffin, and does not want him on the roster......and that there will need to be mediation between the two (Bruce Allen) for the coming season.  I am confused about so many things that seem to persist (and always get worse) with this team, and I am looking for hypotheses that are different from my own.  So, in this thread I propose a rather complex question:

Are things as they seem?  Is the Gruden/Griffin pairing really as bad as is reported (irreparable)?  Is Griffin, the guy who wowed us on seemingly a weekly basis during his rookie year, not worth giving time due to 'poor football IQ/poor mechanics'?  Is Gruden 'trying to get fired' by attacking RG3 yet again (and offering his negative opinions so freely)?

Since when is telling Griffin he needs work on his fundamentals translate into him hating Griffin?

I don't think he hates Griffin; but I will say that Griffin is not the head coach or GM; he doesn't do things the way he wants to, thats why there's this thing called a coach. If Gruden calls him out because of his bad footwork, not reading the field, etc, Griffin should be man enough to accept these accusations and improve on them, not act like a spoiled baby and cry until he gets his way.

Griffin has talent, but to play/survive in this league, there are other aspects of playing QB in the NFL that Griffin needs to work on. Why is it bad because he's being called out on it? Everyone else says the same thing, from ex players, ex coaches, and analysts; i'd take an ex coach's word over a fan's word 100 times out of 100.

Griffin doesn't run the team, Gruden does, at least right now. If Griffin ends up getting Gruden fired, no coach will want to come here to be used as a scapegoat for Griffin's issues. Let both of them sit down this offseason and work things out; get Griffin some help with his issues while Gruden integrates some plays/formations in the offense which will be more comfortable with Griffin, and both will be fine. They both know where they stand, and they're both adults.

Wait. Stop. Let me get this straight. Haz is making his D look easy in practice so RG3 can look good. But then, Haz that is, keeps the same look in real game time as he thinks all other qb are as good as RG3?

So Haz been is destroying RG3 all of this time. Sense now that makes.

I actually believe the opposite, I think RG3 sucks so bad he makes the D look good in practice, therefor Haz thinks he doesn't need to change anything for game day.

What is kind of baffling to me is how Gruden strolled into D.C. so adament that Robert was THE starter, and then 1 injury and a few poor games and now it seems like he doesn't want him on the team anymore.  Something doesn't add up.  Was he just giving ownership lip service so he could get hired for the HC gig?  If not, how is it possible that given how mediocre the rest of the offense has consistently been, can he already be ready to wash his hands of Robert. 

Then you have the even weirder situation with Cousins, who has basically become a ghost due to some untimely INTs.  He got the most out of this offense this year, and while the INT's definitely hurt the team in critical situations, was that really enough to say Colt McCoy of all people should be captaining the ship?

It all seems so illogical to me at this point. 

It just might be possible that Gruden was sincere at the beginning but has watched Robert and coached Robert and realized very quickly that he is very far behind the curve in some very fundamental QB things. And that as a third year NFL QB, soon to be 4th year, he is unlikely to put it together at this point playing against world class athletes and coaches. That is his assessment, I'd bet, (right or wrong) and he doesn't want to spend the next 2 seasons floundering around with a QB that isn't as good as the backups at the things he wants his QB to do.

Your Kirk point is interesting. His only real significant issue is the crazy interceptions, which is significant, but that can't be corrected? Does he think its just a gene that can't be fixed? Does he really believe in Colt that much? Why?

Quoting hasn't worked right since IE 11.

Let us not forget, the media's job is to create buzz. Guys on the radio have 3-5 hours to fill every day.  Newspaper and TV guys need people to pay attention.  Everything is always going to be covered for every single angle, explored in places that are unnecessary. Speculation drives sports media.

It isn't bashing when they're always correct. This board needs to get over their WaPo hate.

Yesterday Mike Florio - of all people - dissected how Post reporter Mike Jones spliced and skewed Gruden quotes about Griffin to make them sound worse than they were:

Gruden’s Words on Griffin are Starting to Get Overblown

It’s become a sport of sorts for Washington coach Jay Gruden to talk publicly about the flaws in quarterback Robert Griffin III’s game. And it’s become a sport of sorts for the media to shine a light on the things Gruden is saying, apparently in the hopes of creating the impression of dysfunction in the building and/or a Costanza-style effort by Gruden to get fired.

While Gruden has indeed been pointed and harsh about Griffin in the past, the coach’s comments from Tuesday have unfairly been twisted by some in the media.

For example, Gruden’s Tuesday press availability included a comment about Griffin that caught plenty of attention on Twitter. The tweet sounded a lot worse than the transcript revealed it to be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/16/grudens-words-on-griffin-are-starting-to-get-overblown/

So they aren't "always correct." Anybody paying attention would know that.

You guys don't really know when its good or bad, when it comes right down to it...And I am promising you right now, you don't know whether its good or bad. You really don't know, because you don't know what we're trying to do, you guys don't look at the films, you don't know what happened, you really don't know. You "think" you know, but you DON'T KNOW, and you never WILL, Okay?

---J. Mora

I do feel sometimes that this Gruden vs Griffin thing is a bit overblown.  At least I hope it is.  I'd love for it to work out.  Maybe the media, along with the fans are getting too worked up when Gruden throws out some criticism about Robert.  Gruden has called out several players in the media, the latest being Djax with the Philly media.  Who knows? We'll see what happens.

All it would take would be for Griffin to show progress.  I think this last game a light went on and Robert realized that he better buy in to what Jay's selling.  Because no one is lining up to support him.  Personally, I'd love to see them have some fun with this.  Like have Griff wear a Redskins jacket that says "Jay Hate me" on the back. 

It's funny how so much of the "news" lately relates to things people said in press conferences or on Twitter, rather than what happened on the field. Who cares about a bunch of blather?

The Redskins' incompetence on the field says it all. They are unwatchable, except for laughs.

Is Jerry Jones alive or merely held up by wires rendered invisible by TV magic and spare body parts of long dead Cowboys' quarterbacks and the leather from NFL footballs?

oh man i laughed my butt off at this....seriosly tho we need to draft offensive fat boy lineman to protect whoever is back there at QB

What is kind of baffling to me is how Gruden strolled into D.C. so adament that Robert was THE starter, and then 1 injury and a few poor games and now it seems like he doesn't want him on the team anymore.  Something doesn't add up.  Was he just giving ownership lip service so he could get hired for the HC gig?  If not, how is it possible that given how mediocre the rest of the offense has consistently been, can he already be ready to wash his hands of Robert. 

All football coaches have egos, and it seems Gruden had little to no idea how far Griffin was behind the curve.  It became even more apparent when Cousins took over and the team scored in bunches.  As is typical in the NFL, defenses adjusted to Kirk, and before Kirk could adjust back, Robert was healthy.  I like your post, but what adds up here is pure Danny.  Gruden was hired to make RG3 into an NFL QB, NOT Kirk and NOT McCoy.  I really get the feeling that Kirk was showing up RG3 and had to be stopped.  So Danny did it.  To not activate Kirk, when the starter had a neck injury is sort of ridiculous, and telling. 

Archived