Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Jay Gruden, Welcome to Hell

kleese

I suppose they fought...but their effort was sub par, at least in my mind. They certainly weren't prepared. I don't know what type of game plan that was. I dunno...like I said just a feeling. Hopefully he can turn it around.

I agree, they looked sloppy but a lot of it was talent too. Polumbus got ****** so hard on that sack fumble it was amazing. Cousins threw those picks and missed Paul on that wheel route. Guys made huge mistakes last night. Not sure yet how much of it was coaching, we'll learn as we go.

We are just as bad as those teams. We are almost approaching 30 ****ing years of putrid horse ****. We are a turd franchise just like the Raiders.

MG, I was thinking the same thing today. The realization that our beloved squad is in the same pool as the aforementioned franchises. The way its going our best hope is to be The Cubs of football...lovable losers? :-(

New coach, same problem. Are we ever going to get to the root of the problem?

Such a good question. 

I know the easy asnwer is Snyder ... it has to be him. Despite all his efforts to stay of the football operations side of everything I still think he finds a way to meddle without meddling. I don't know ... 

I agree, they looked sloppy but a lot of it was talent too. Polumbus got ****** so hard on that sack fumble it was amazing. Cousins threw those picks and missed Paul on that wheel route. Guys made huge mistakes last night. Not sure yet how much of it was coaching, we'll learn as we go.

I'm okay with learning as we go but only if we plug in some of the young guys... Espically on the Oline!

Hail!

What's one of the only things that's stayed the same from when the Redskins got blown-out by the Eagles at home versus when they got blown out last night at home?

Jim Haslett. 

I know the majority of people that post on here like to blame the coach, but maybe they should look at the right coach next time? If I remember correctly, Shanahan was the one to blame for the defense playing like it was because he apparently overruled Jim Haslett a lot. Yet Shanahan is nowhere to be seen and we still saw the same exact defense last night that we have pretty much seen for the majority of the Shanahan years. Seems like Mike Shanahan was on to something.

Even if Kirk Cousins was playing great, do you think it would have been any different? More like the 45-41 win we got over the Bears last year. Where they still put up 41 freakin points on the defense even though the QB was playing fantastic. It just so happens that the QB was playing bad last night and it made it look that much worse.

Defense was the major question heading into the season and guess what the Redskins have done about it? Absolutely nothing. Four years later.

QB’s have bad games and Kirk happened to have a total stinker last night, but just imagine how bad it would have looked last week if Kirk didn’t play good? Probably would have been 37-7 instead of 37-34.

So, who are we blaming now? Kirk? RG3? Shanahan?

Or Jim Haslett?

To be honest im sick of the Haslett bashing. Is it his fault out #1 CB cant cover a freaking TE? Or is it his fault that our franchise OLB cant rush the passer?

Too be honest it feel like Haslett is doing his best job to cover up the holes in the D. We cant blitz b.c we cant cover anyone for 2 seconds...we cant drop into coverage because our front 4 gets 0 pressure. Hes damned if he do he damned if he dont. 

At some point corners gotta cover and pass rushers have to get the QB. Its pretty simple.

The game yesterday is a microcosm of what's happening now. A few things go wrong and then more goes wrong. It quickly spirals out of control and you're lost and there's no way out. 

20 years of ineptitude was pressed up against the gates and just waiting for an implosion. The angst over all that time is going to be applied in full weight to the players and coaches -- and hey, that's part of the deal. It's not just that we're a losing franchise, that's bad enough, but it's even worse that we were a proud and successful franchise and this dark period in our team's history is longer and bleaker than anyone would have feared 20 years ago. 

There is a 'culture' problem in for this team.  No doubt Dan Snyder created the culture here.  But we the fans are responsible for the fuel that feeds the machine.  We are so starved for success that we quickly elevate average players who spike for a few games and we (both fans and media) fill their heads with delusions of grandeur.  The players buy into it and then when it really matters they pull a Heath Shuler and puke all over their shoes.

Last night I watched a team that played like they felt they were a division contender because of the close game last week.  And this is what happens time and time again.  The team has a gutsy effort, gets a little ****y and then when they get punched in the mouth they fall to the mat and wait for the count. 

As has been typical for our beloved, heart-breaking team (regardless of who the players or the coach may be) I witnessed a meltdown of of courage and discipline.  Kirk stunk up the place last night.  No one can excuse the bad decisions he made.  We knew the line wasn't great but the week before the ball was out too quickly for it to be a factor.  What I was most upset with was that our 'superstar' cadre of receivers didn't appear to put in the necessary effort to get open.  With the exception of Niles Paul I didn't see anyone really wanting to get open.  That's a very important fact because that's how the Giants defeated our pass rush.  The Giants receivers worked the butts off to get open for Eli who picked us apart with quick passes. 

I have to question the effort of our defensive backfield as well.  The rush needed a second longer to get to Eli (or at least make him move) and they just didn't battle like I thought they should; with the exception of Ryan Clark.  The D-line did a good job vs the run with all the players that have been missing and being banged up.  Asking them to get to Manning in under 3 seconds was a bridge too far.  The DB's failed them.  I'm not ready to get rid of Haz but for the love of God learn from the previous week!  The Eagles ran the same dang seam route twice for TDs!  How could the defense be surprised by that attack again?!?!

Special teams is all about heart and effort.  I think it's very telling that, for about the 3rd year straight the Redskins special teams has been bad.  That says a lot about the character or heart of the team.  And if the team doesn't care enough to battle a hated division opponent then why should we, the fans who ultimately pay their salary, care?  We should make them win the division (again) before we decide to heap praise on them.  Until then, they need to be held accountable for their lack of passion and effort.  Even if they somehow beat Seattle don't be fooled.  This team needs to prove that they have truly learned from the mistakes of the past.

Thank you, thank you, thank you HogNose!

Those pics are awesome, especially Norv. I still enjoy a good Norv joke.

One of my coping mechanisms is to simply bathe in the self loathing--sort of like Cubs fans. They really are a great punch line and rather than get upset or frustrated when my friends mock me (and oh, they do) I just take the self deprecating route and roll with it.

I just keep watching, laughing/crying and maybe someday they'll be good.

I won't repost HogNose's pictures, but it would make a great Pepto Bismol ad.

He forgot Zorn and Marty.

Still astounded that people actually thought this would be a winning year.

Hail.

Whats the harm in being optimistic.  I mean, there is ridiculouse like saying 14-2, but not insane saying 10-6, 9-7.  I think all 32 teams fans think they'll have a winning record before September 1st.  Hell, if I just sat here in August and said, "they'll be no better than 4-12," I may as well not even bother with the season.

Shane Falco sums up our problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0oy2Na_pg

I know that these things wouldn't even help, but I almost feel like the ENTIRE reset button needs to be hit before our fortunes will change...

Change the name: Forget it. I'm sick of the debate and, quite honestly, sick of associating the product of the past couple decades with what I grew up loving so deeply. Call them the Warriors, the name of a specific tribe, or the Monuments. I don't really care anymore.

Move the stadium: FedEx obviously isn't the problem. In fact, that poor stadium is a victim in that it's needed to host so many lifeless games over the years. Start the plans for a new stadium in DC or Virginia immediately.

Dismantle the Front Office: For years now we've tinkered. Fire Cerrato and give Marty power. Re-hire Cerrato to help Spurrier scour the earth for his former college players. Demote Cerrato to hire Gibbs. Promote Cerrato to run the show with Zorn. Fire Cerrato to hire Shanahan. Hire Allen to help Shanahan. Promote Allen to hire and build a team for Gruden. All the while we've kept the same personnel guys, etc. Blow it up and hire the best GM you can find and task him with rebuilding the entire front office.

Like I said, it's mostly symbolic but I'm over the status quo. This team doesn't resemble anything I lived and died watching during the magical autumn Sunday afternoons of my childhood, so we might as well start fresh.  

I am so on board with everything here. I am sick of being a terrible team and then having to hear about the "racist" team name on top of it. Kill the contreversy and just change it already! Make the focus on football, because for as long as i can remember, its been anything but football.

Dismantling the front office cannot happen soon enough. They do not know how to draft. They dont know how to work free agency. They dont pick up any talent. They dont know how to get talent worth growing. All they know how to do is market. Market, market, market. Make more suckers buy more things without giving 2 craps about the actual product on the field. I am sick of it.

Change the name: Forget it. I'm sick of the debate and, quite honestly, sick of associating the product of the past couple decades with what I grew up loving so deeply. Call them the Warriors, the name of a specific tribe, or the Monuments. I don't really care anymore.

For a long time I've been against this idea (and still am philosophically) but at this point I'm just sick of it being a talking point.  I don't really think the name is offensive, the problem is that there are small group of loud people who have said it long and loudly enough that people are starting to presume offense upon something that hasn't been hurting anyone.  But, as I said in the beginning, if I don't have to hear them talk about it anymore, then I'm in favor.

I think Gruden knew before the season started there were still a lot of holes on this team.

Unlike Jim Harbaugh who has worn out his welcome with the 49ers, I think Gruden is the right choice

unless the Danny next year wants to hire Harbaugh to be head coach and Jay Gruden to be offensive coordinator.

Not likely :)

Both coaches come from coaching families with strong football traditions.

Gruden needs better players.  Three years ago Harbaugh inherited a 49er team with a great defense and a weak offense. All Harbaugh had to do was fix the quarterback.  Gruden needs to fix offense, defense and special teams- especially

special teams.

I can see why the whole "change the name and well win!" Thing is gaining momentum.

After all, it worked so well for the Bullets!

I think we all need to step back and breathe a little.  The team is not "cursed" - several teams have injury problems and go years without winning records.   We won 3 games last season.  3.  We have a rookie headcoach.  I thought we'd be 6-10 before we lost our starting QB.

The overreaction needs to stop.

C'mon people

Archived