Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Lache Seastrunk (RB Baylor)

Hunter_R

Value picks.... and Casserley and the host pick 2nd and 3rd round picks of their respective teams. At worst, what did they do... drop a round! Baldy goes with a 6th round pick... that was the point of the drill.

For all the Knocks on this draft, he likely will be player that makes it a success 3 years from now.

I'm burgundy colored glasses guy, but % states all our picks won't hit. I'll say TM, Breeland and Long become very good/good players. LS can have high,high ceiling.

Where do you find something like that?

Ebay. I've actually got over 300 Redskins autographs and other cool cards like John Riggins Game used jersey pieces from Superbowl 17, Darrell Green's shoe, rookie cards of Sean Taylor, Griffin patches and autos, helmets and other stuff. Collecting Redskins stuff is a guilty pleasure of mine but the wife thinks it's a bit on the nerdy side so I cut down to just the rookies each year and sneak in a few I have to have every so often. Glad you liked it. Seastrunk is going to be be fun to root for this year :) The story touched me and I have five children of my own.

Very moving story. What a brave little girl and a strong mother/woman. Boy I hope I never have to know what it feels like to outlive a child. 

I noticed one of his quotes folds into something that Griffin tweets pretty often..."Know Your Why". Here is the quote:

"In life, you've got to find that 'why,'" Seastrunk said. "Why did you get up and go to work? What did you do this for? For me, it's Molly. It's to live my life to the fullest like she did."

Ebay. I've actually got over 300 Redskins autographs and other cool cards like John Riggins Game used jersey pieces from Superbowl 17, Darrell Green's shoe, rookie cards of Sean Taylor, Griffin patches and autos, helmets and other stuff. Collecting Redskins stuff is a guilty pleasure of mine but the wife thinks it's a bit on the nerdy side so I cut down to just the rookies each year and sneak in a few I have to have every so often. Glad you liked it. Seastrunk is going to be be fun to root for this year :) The story touched me and I have five children of my own.

What would you say, on average, do you pay for a signed rookie card?

Wow, speed and an eye for picking those open holes (like Albert... er, Alfred). Hope he does the same being here, and if so, see him as either ahead of Helu, or our third. After what Helu did last year, there's no question he'll be a part of the trio.

Very moving story. What a brave little girl and a strong mother/woman. Boy I hope I never have to know what it feels like to outlive a child. 

I noticed one of his quotes folds into something that Griffin tweets pretty often..."Know Your Why". Here is the quote:

Yeh, I believe "know your why" is something that Art Briles tells his players at Baylor and it is obviously something they all very much buy into

What would you say, on average, do you pay for a signed rookie card?

Good question, depends on several factors. Brands are a consideration. Chrome, Contenders, and National Treasures cost more and are more highly sought after then other brands. If you buy something that is more popular your going to pay a higher price. The next consideration is numbering. The lower the number the higher the price usually. 1/1's are going to cost you more then something that has 10 of it but that /10 is going to cost you more then something that has 500 of or is unnumbered. I have Jordan Reed autographed cards that cost me $160 and some that cost me $10 bucks simply because one is a 1/1 and the other is unnumbered. Teams play a role in this as well. Teams like the Patriots and Broncos are more popular today then the Redskins so rookies for those teams would cost more. Hype plays a part in this as well. This year if you wanted a rookie auto of Sammy Watkins your going to pay more money for that vs a card of say Odel Beckem today but timing is also a consideration. If week one comes and Odel Beckem goes off for 200 yards then his prices will spike as momentum will come in and drive it upwards. I've seen guys come out of nowhere like last years Case Keenum and go from a $5 card up to $150 dollars after one game. And I've seen guys go from a high steady price and nose dive after an injury like Doug Martin did last year. Momentum plays a factor.

I'm sorry to get technical in this but there is no easy answer for this as too many things are there to consider. Today I would say 10 bucks for a Redskins rookie autographed unnumbered card would be my guess not from one of those brands I mentioned. Once you get into numbering, brands, hype and when you buy things change. Sorry to take this off topic. To get it back on topic

Like what he did there at the combine and like his attitude here

So from a lot i have read about this guy people say hes non existent in the passing game. Any truth to that? We really needed a back who can catch and do something with the ball out of the backfield. 

He`s about as non-existent in the passing game... as a wide receiver is to the running game -- perhaps they get an end-around once every few games. You can`t showcase a skill if you don`t get an opportunity to.... but it doesn`t mean it doesn`t exist.

I`ve seen a few videos of Seastrunk catching some footballs.... he looked smooth and effortless to me. Doesn`t look like the type of back that`s going to fight the football or a body-catcher.

Those are the 3 backs I would keep as well. Thompson could replace Helu if he plays like everyone was hoping, but he seems to break easy, and he didn't do well when he had a chance. This is probably my favorite of the picks so far. Good thing the running back stock has collapsed the last couple years.

Your signature is like a train wreck.  I shouldn't watch, but I can't help myself...it hurts so good.

The #2 RB job is Helu's right now. Thompson has shown zip, Royster has not excelled at anything and Seastrunk is a rookie. I think Lache earns the #3 RB job out of camp. Helu has proven he can run AND catch. He's got a hold of the 3rd down back job as of now.

So from a lot i have read about this guy people say hes non existent in the passing game. Any truth to that? We really needed a back who can catch and do something with the ball out of the backfield.

He can catch the ball, but, as I understand it, he knows next-to-nothing about running routes. I also seem to recall that he's not very good at picking up blitzes and staying in to block.

At Baylor he caught a total of 9 passes. Last year none of Baylor RB's had more then 5 catches. The problem here is that Baylor doesn't throw the ball to any RB, even ones who can catch.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/05/19/rookie-seastrunk-confident-he-can-be-reliable-pass-catcher-out-of-backfield/

Rookie running back Lache Seastrunk says he’s confident he can help the Washington Redskins’ offense as a complement to starting tailback Alfred Morris.

“I feel like it’s a great opportunity,” the sixth-round draft choice from Baylor said over the weekend at the team’s rookie minicamp. “I really feel that I can make things happen. I’ve just got to make sure I keep knocking down this playbook each and every day. I’ve got to make sure I stay in tune with everything I’ve got to stay in tune with. And everything will come to fruition.”

Seastrunk was not used much as a receiver out of the backfield in college, with only nine catches in two seasons at Baylor. He will have to prove himself as a receiver to be in the mix for the team’s third-down-tailback duties. But he said he’s confident he can show that he can be a reliable pass-catcher.

“Everybody is gonna have an opinion about  what I do, what I can do, what’s my weaknesses,” he said. “They really don’t know. I know my weaknesses. I feel like I don’t have any weaknesses. I feel I can catch the ball very well. I feel I can do anything anybody asks me to do. I feel like if you were paying attention, I caught well here [at the minicamp]. So it doesn’t really matter. Everybody is gonna drop balls. Calvin Johnson drops balls. So I’m not worried about that.”

Seastrunk is friendly with fellow Baylor alum Robert Griffin III and said he will be an especially enthusiastic blocker in pass protection for the Redskins’ quarterback.

“I would never let nobody hit my mom,” Seastrunk said. “And I won’t let nobody hit RG.”

The bolded part made me laugh, Moses is protecting Griffin and so is Seatrunk. In all seriousness this is the thing about his game that most worries me. A 3rd down compliment RB has to protect the QB first then make plays 2nd. If he can protect Griffin then he will get a shot at the position. If he cant then he wont

• 3 months later...

[post=

][/post]First off I am sorry this is so long but if you got the time to read it, my take on Lache Seastrunk, I posted some things about him you might also find interesting back in May here. That's why I bumped this old thread up

So the latest news last I checked was some one posting a guess at the 53 article. Lache was cut. 

Why is the world sleeping on this guy? I really don't understand that so thought I would reopen this conversation months later. I would read the entire thread and catch up on this guy before we cut him to see why I did. 

Recently read that some think if Lache is dropped the place would meltdown. I am not going to melt down. I'm bumping this up because I think cutting him is not the right thing to do now. 

Lastest article I saw on him before the preseason game

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/64044/lache-seastrunk-speed-kills

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins drafted him for a reason, the same one that could earn him a roster spot. Lache Seastrunk still needs to prove he can catch passes consistently. He still needs to prove he can pass-protect. 
What he doesn’t have to show is that he can run fast. It could be the reason Seastrunk sticks around despite not yet having done a whole lot this preseason entering Thursday’s finale at Tampa Bay. 

“Speed kills,” said the rookie sixth-round pick. “There’s so many different ways you can cut an apple, I guess. They can put you out wide, burn a corner. They can move you around a lot and make you a dual threat.” 

[+] Enlargenfl_a_seastrunk_l_400_200x300.jpg
AP Photo/Alex BrandonLache Seastrunk's speed could be factor that causes him to stick with the Redskins.

Seastrunk has carried the ball 19 times for 98 yards this summer, the third-most rushing attempts behindAlfred Morris and Silas Redd. But Seastrunk had 12 carries in the first preseason game and none in the third. Seastrunk hasn’t been a factor in the passing game, with no targets his way -- though few of the Redskins’ backs have, save for veterans Roy Helu andEvan Royster

Though Royster has been more productive this summer, the Redskins want to add speed in the backfield. Second-year running back Chris Thompsonlikely would have been the choice if not for a sprained ankle that again raises questions about his durability. 

Undrafted free agent Silas Redd has run hard, but lacks Seastrunk or Thompson’s sizzle. And, like the others, Redd hasn’t been tested much in pass protection. 

The coaches knew Seastrunk would take time to develop in the passing game. They do understand he could be used in other ways from scrimmage until reaching that point because of his speed. 

Seastrunk said he knows he’s shown the team his speed, quickness and agility. He still knows he must show more. 

“I haven’t shown I can catch,” he said. “I just need more opportunities to catch the ball. I feel I catch pretty well. And pass blocking. But it takes time. I’m building my house right now, starting with the foundation and making sure my foundation is sturdy.” 

In practices, Seastrunk struggled in pass protection, specifically in the one-on-ones with the linebackers. It’s easier for the linebacker to win in these battles, though Seastrunk at times was knocked to the ground. 

“The hardest part would probably have to be when they bull rush,” Seastrunk said of protection in general. “You have to know how to react and throw your weight forward. It’s not easy at all.” 

He’ll have one more chance to prove what he can do Thursday. But Thompson also will get plenty of action. 

“The only thing I can ask for is an opportunity, and I have an opportunity,” Seastrunk said. “The only thing I can do is just believe.”

For those who cant click links. Bolded his comments. I thought it was impressive, smart, aggressive, true, and a good attitude.

I still like this kid, and want to believe he can develop those pass blocking skills required to play a Reggie Bush type role with the team. He can catch, throw him the ball and see what he is capable of doing. His cutting is elite and he has speed which you can not teach and that's what this team needs at running back third down type of players who can contribute and break long plays.

Last night he had an 80 yard catch and run TD you have to see.

http://gfycat.com/SomberUnfoldedFlickertailsquirrel

(Not sure how to embed that?)

So I was just watching some videos of him and thought you would enjoy them too

One Legged Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUWEcP71Ag

Combine 

Best in the broad jump? Is that true? 

http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/8/29/6081377/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-lache-seastrunk

#3. Lache recorded the best vertical jump (41 1/2 inches) and broad jump (11-2) of any running back at the 2014 NFL Combine.

That's pretty cool, but what does it tell me?

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/gridiron/nfl-draft.htm

Broad Jump - Similar to the vertical jump, this is a test of lower body strength, explosion, and power. The broad jump measures how far you can jump, not how high. From a standing position, the player jumps forward off two feet as far as he can. The broad jump is the most important for running backs, linemen, and linebackers.

vertical jump - A test of explosion and power. The player jumps off both feet straight up as high as he can. The vertical jump is most important for receivers and defensive backs.

We are potentially letting go of the best player to do these things in this years draft class who has a decent rushing average per carry, who has impressive cuts, who can catch the ball? Watch the videos. He can catch the football. He just went for an 80 yard reception TD but people are still wondering about that? I don't understand it

And the reaction to that 80 yard play was the coaches face looking like he is about to cut the guy? I really don't understand that either

This is not someone you let go of. This is not a player you try and stash on the practice squad. This is a kid you try and game plan for.

It's easy to like this guy

I hope they are smart and keep that guy this year. He is the one player I am rooting for to make it.

Oh and in that Hogsheaven link I posted it says this

#1. Lache originally committed to Oregon for his freshman year in 2010. He redshirted and was a member of the travel squad. He transferred to Baylor in August of 2011 and lost a year of eligibility as a result.

That is not the story there. The story there is that the reason Lache committed to Oregon and then backed out of it and redshirted is because he made a serious mistake. He accepted a bribe from Chip Kelly to come there. Lache committed then the NCAA immediately jumped on it and suspected that it was illegal practices and while that short investigation went on Chip Kelly then head coach at Oregon was in the news going from I am not going to the Eagles, to running away and joining that team. 

This player is why Chip Kelly is in the NFL now.  He illegally recruited him because he wanted him.

Alot of colleges wanted him and he accepted money to go to Chip Kelly's school which the NCAA investigated and found guilty. They were fined heavily. Lache once he heard about the investigation decided to redshirt and then went to Baylor. Lache is the reason Chip Kelly has the reputation of a rules breaker. If Chip Kelly was breaking rules to get Lache I think after what we've seen need to use that weapon not cut the guy

Personally I feel that if we keep 4 RBs I would keep Lache, Redd over Royster and CT. Especially CT for me at least is not even in the conversation, always hurt and last night what exactly did he show?

A youth infusion is a solid idea. Royster is a bad ass, and he can be useful but lets face it. Moneys wrong with Royster, he is a free agent next year and its a toss up between him and Redd. Your two backups to Morris and Helu are better off being Redd and Seastrunk if you only keep 4.

Gruden inherited CT and didnt choose him. He choose Seastrunk who delivered

Archived