Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Lache Seastrunk (RB Baylor)

Hunter_R

Yeah I do realize it is a new coaching staff, I wasn't putting blame on the coaching staff yet I stated "decision makers."   I'm sure they have a hand and input but it ultimately rides on  Bruce Allen & Co....with essentially the same scouting staff manned by Scott Campbell since Joe Gibbs was here.  So it bugs me when I hear someone say oh yeah the Redskins know what they are doing yet we haven't been a consistent winner for a long time.  It starts with the players we are choosing. 

With that pick we could have drafted someone else.  If you are a gm and you know your coach values pass blocking, being able to run routes, etc why draft a guy that never caught 10 balls a season and was not apart of the pass blocking at Baylor?

Are you aware that the previous regimes overruled Campbell's draft board and selected other players?  Again we are talking about a 6th round draft pick.  Over 70% of all players picked in the 6th round and later do not make it.  They took a flier on a guy with obvious strengths and it didn't work out. It happens all over the league and all over the league fans overreact. 

Noting to see here folks, move along now.

Are you aware that the previous regimes overruled Campbell's draft board and selected other players?  Again we are talking about a 6th round draft pick.  Over 70% of all players picked in the 6th round and later do not make it.  They took a flier on a guy with obvious strengths and it didn't work out. It happens all over the league and all over the league fans overreact. 

Noting to see here folks, move along now.

I could not agree more. Just for fun I thought I would look at the "disaster" we have in terms of drafting since people are upset that we are "wasting" draft picks. Here is a breakdown of our draft over the last 5 yrs. It has total number of draft choices and then (# still on the team. - I counted those on PS or IR) - Note: I did this by hand so if I made a mistake somewhere please let me know. I will gladly correct it.

Rd 1 - 3 (3)

Rd 2 - 3 (3)

Rd 3 - 4 (4)

Rd 4 - 6 (5)

Rd 5 - 6 (3)

Rd 6 - 6 (4)

Rd 7 - 12 (3)

Out of 28 players drafted in rds 1-6 we still have 22 or 79%. The drops off significantly in the 7th rd. But are we really expecting to fill our rosters with 7th rounders? Not all draft picks are going to work out. Sorry if I don't see this as a problem. 

Just for comparison, since Bill Belicheat is considered the standard bearer. I thought I would look at how NE fared. Here are the results for thier last 5 yrs - Rd X - # Drafted (Still on team, including PS and IR):

Rd 1 - 5 (5)

Rd 2 - 9 (6)

Rd 3 - 9 (6)

Rd 4 - 2 (0)

Rd 5 - 3 (1)

Rd 6 - 6 (1)

Rd 7 - 10 (3)

Notice that we have to get to Rd 4 before we don't keep all picks, and then we kept 5 of 6. Belicheat dropped 3 2nds and 3 rds. Can you imagine the uproar here if we released 2nd rd pick?

So we have kept 22 of 28 picks through the 6th round or 75%. In comparison NE has kept 19 of 34 or 56%. We both have not kept very many rd 7 picks. Obviously part of that is we were a pretty bad football team 5 yrs ago. Last year we were 3-13 but I think we all agree we had/have more talent than that.

I just do not see the problem. We used to keep draft picks no matter what during the Vinnie years (partially because we only 3 to 5/yr but that's another discussion), didn't matter how clear it was they were not going to make it (a few bust WRs come to mind). Even under MS he kept some FAs and drafted players that really made you scratch your head (FA Jamal Brown anyone, along with some 7th rounders we just cut like Gettis, Hurt, etc.).

Jay and staff have assembled 90 guys and picked who they think are the best 63 regardless of where or when or even if they were drafted. But because one guy has a sexy 80 yds pass play people are sure they have no idea what they are doing? SMH  Sorry, this is just not logical. the data suggests that under Bruce Allen the team has been pretty successful with their draft picks.

I could not agree more. Just for fun I thought I would look at the "disaster" we have in terms of drafting since people are upset that we are "wasting" draft picks. Here is a breakdown of our draft over the last 5 yrs. It has total number of draft choices and then (# still on the team. - I counted those on PS or IR) - Note: I did this by hand so if I made a mistake somewhere please let me know. I will gladly correct it.

Rd 1 - 3 (3)

Rd 2 - 3 (3)

Rd 3 - 4 (4)

Rd 4 - 6 (5)

Rd 5 - 6 (3)

Rd 6 - 6 (4)

Rd 7 - 12 (3)

Out of 28 players drafted in rds 1-6 we still have 22 or 79%. The drops off significantly in the 7th rd. But are we really expecting to fill our rosters with 7th rounders? Not all draft picks are going to work out. Sorry if I don't see this as a problem. 

Just for comparison, since Bill Belicheat is considered the standard bearer. I thought I would look at how NE fared. Here are the results for thier last 5 yrs - Rd X - # Drafted (Still on team, including PS and IR):

Rd 1 - 5 (5)

Rd 2 - 9 (6)

Rd 3 - 9 (6)

Rd 4 - 2 (0)

Rd 5 - 3 (1)

Rd 6 - 6 (1)

Rd 7 - 10 (3)

Notice that we have to get to Rd 4 before we don't keep all picks, and then we kept 5 of 6. Belicheat dropped 3 2nds and 3 rds. Can you imagine the uproar here if we released 2nd rd pick?

So we have kept 22 of 28 picks through the 6th round or 75%. In comparison NE has kept 19 of 34 or 56%. We both have not kept very many rd 7 picks. Obviously part of that is we were a pretty bad football team 5 yrs ago. Last year we were 3-13 but I think we all agree we had/have more talent than that.

I just do not see the problem. We used to keep draft picks no matter what during the Vinnie years (partially because we only 3 to 5/yr but that's another discussion), didn't matter how clear it was they were not going to make it (a few bust WRs come to mind). Even under MS he kept some FAs and drafted players that really made you scratch your head (FA Jamal Brown anyone, along with some 7th rounders we just cut like Gettis, Hurt, etc.).

Jay and staff have assembled 90 guys and picked who they think are the best 63 regardless of where or when or even if they were drafted. But because one guy has a sexy 80 yds pass play people are sure they have no idea what they are doing? SMH  Sorry, this is just not logical. the data suggests that under Bruce Allen the team has been pretty successful with their draft picks.

Game

Set

Match

Rd 1 - 3 (3)

Rd 2 - 3 (3)

Rd 3 - 4 (4)

Rd 4 - 6 (5)

Rd 5 - 6 (3)

Rd 6 - 6 (4)

Rd 7 - 12 (3)

You should also count the UDFAs we have on our roster. I don't know how to do this as a percentage, but names like

Darrel Young

Logan Paulsen

?Chris Baker?, though I'd probably count him as a FA

Will Compton

Tress Way

Nick Sundberg

Silas Redd

I hate that people who talk about our "draft" success/failures don't include UDFAs in there. I think it says something that we can get guys like Young, and Paulsen off the streets of the draft and have them come in here and produce.

I think most people are not irritated tha Redd beat out Seastrunk. I think many people like me are irritated that somehow they decided to hold onto Chris Thompson (who was literally the first ps signing we had if im not mistaken) despite him being unhealthy almost during the entire process and his spot could have went to someone like Seastrunk who is more of a project.

Thompson just seems like that mirage in the desert like malcolm kelly was. I personally have seen nothing out of him that even warrants a ps spot he is just as bad if not worse in pass pro then seastrunk, as reports from camp seem to indicate and he cant stay healthy

The coaching staff was around the kid 24/7 if they didn't put him on the PS it's for a reason. 31 other teams aren't even interested in him even being on their PS. John Keim one of the most unbiased reporters we have has said Chris Thompson has outperformed Lache in every conceivable notion. 

Lache isn't better than Chris Thompson it's just he's been healthier than Thompson. Phillip Thomas and Chris Thompson were cut because of their injury history but were signed to the PS because they're very good players who can contribute. Lache was cut because he's not good enough yet to contribute this year even on PS. I'm sure he'll be picked up next year and hopefully he's working on his game. 

You should also count the UDFAs we have on our roster. I don't know how to do this as a percentage, but names like

Darrel Young

Logan Paulsen

Will Compton

Tress Way

Nick Sundberg

Silas Redd

I hate that people who talk about our "draft" success/failures don't include UDFAs in there. I think it says something that we can get guys like Young, and Paulsen off the streets of the draft and have them come in here and produce.

I think you missed my point. I was actually saying we have done pretty good in the draft in terms of drafting players that make thee team. UDFA are virtually impossible to track which is why you leave them out. 

I agree, it's awesome we found some UDFAs to make the team (Redd, A, Davis), 

I think you missed my point. I was actually saying we have done pretty good in the draft in terms of drafting players that make thee team. UDFA are virtually impossible to track which is why you leave them out.

I agree, it's awesome we found some UNFAs to make the team (Redd, A, Davis),

I think he was supplementing your point...

Darrel Young

Logan Paulsen

Will Compton

Tress Way

Nick Sundberg

Silas Redd

Sorry, it was I who missed your point. You were supplementing what I said and I also agree with you.

For the life of me I can't imagine how anyone might believe this to be so.............and I have a pretty lurid imagination  :lol:

People don't come here to learn, they're here to vent, to scream, to hold their breath 'til they turn blue, to have the ****s, the fits and the blind staggers and to share it with everyone, ain't no time for learnin' 'round heyah

This is how rabid fans act. It's fast football and fast playoffs and I'll have the supersize Superbowl Trophy wIth a large Mug of Fan EGO  to wash it down !!  We realize this is the place for passionate Redskin fans to air their opinions also to err in their ways also demanding often too much too soon..Let's all relax  BREATHE !!  yes BREATHE !! let the Head Coach and the Staff work their magic If we end up with another season like 2012 It's going to be all forgotten about who made the team and who didn't won't be missed at all :)

It is much harder to make a team that is a perennial winner then a team that isn't.

And here I thought that after all the asinine ****ing, moaning and complaining in the free agency thread ES members would learn a thing or two and not be quite so quick to jump back to asinine ****ing, moaning and complaining whenever the front office does something they didn't want them to do.

As for "wasted draft pick" lol....I guess there must be a mentality residing in some here that every single college player is better than the worst 5-10 players on your squad. 

This is how rabid fans act. It's fast football and fast playoffs and I'll have the supersize Superbowl Trophy wIth a large Mug of Fan EGO  to wash it down !!  We realize this is the place for passionate Redskin fans to air their opinions also to err in their ways also demanding often too much too soon..Let's all relax  BREATHE !!  yes BREATHE !! let the Head Coach and the Staff work their magic If we end up with another season like 2012 It's going to be all forgotten about who made the team and who didn't won't be missed at all :)

Darrel Young

Logan Paulsen

Will Compton

Tress Way

Nick Sundberg

Silas Redd

3-13 second worse in the leaguuuuue. Poor personel.

Not really disagreeing with your main point but there is no way that we can know if Thompson or Thomas are good or not.

Yea I mean I didn't mean good like pro bowl good even though it came off like that lol I meant good like they have the ability to contribute in this league.

It's the same thing with Keenan Robinson when fans were ready to pull the plug and get rid of him the front office/coaching staff still held on to him because when he's healthy the talent is there to contribute.

That's why the front office/coaching staff have refused to pull the plug on Phillip Thomas and Chris Thompson because when they're healthy they contribute, now it's just up to our training staff to get them healthy enough to contribute. 

Sometimes patience doesn't pay off (jason campbell) but at the same time, sometimes patience does pay off (keenan robinson). In this instance we have to be patient and hope Chris Thompson finally gets healthy enough to play like he did at FSU for us here in washington. 

Archived