Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car knocked off the Bay Bridge in collision with truck

Bang

BAY BRIDGE, Md -

Anne Arundel County and state officials say a collision with a tractor-trailer pushed a car over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and 40 feet into the water.

The State Highway Administration reported that the accident happened about 8:25 p.m. Friday near exit 32 eastbound, at the Sandy Point overpass.

Authorities say the female driver of the car was able to get out of the vehicle and swim to a jetty where she was subsequently rescued.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22889570/car-goes-into-water-after-crash-at-bay-bridge#ixzz2ZY3MXPBn

Amazing she's alive.

~Bang

how she survived this is a miracle.  I ususally travel with  my daughter to the beach around that time on fridays and cant imagine that happening as it would be nearly impossible to rescue myself but i keep thinking how would I be able to save her since she is all strapped in her car seat......

this woman is just lucky it didnt happen in the middle of the bridge.

Yeah, definitely one of my top fears, although it helps that the water was only 8 feet deep.

that beach is just not designed for cars going at high school without a high guardrail.

Seriously, the truck driver had no business taking his 18-wheeler onto that beach. But to be fair, you're right, everyone knows this was one of those beaches that's designed for cars with at least a college-level education.

:P

that beach is just not designed for cars going at high school without a high guardrail.  it doesn't take too much for a car to over in certain areas.  

if this happened to me, i wouldn't have survived. 

Autocorrect Post of the Week.

Amazing.  Someone was born under a lucky star.  I've driven over that bridge many times and never really felt unsafe.  Just shows how short the distance is between normal and tragedy.

Living next to the Bay Bridge, there is plenty of tragedy there.  Bad stuff happens ALL the time.  Accidents, jumpers, deaths, bridge pieces falling off, etc.

There are plenty of people who drive it tend to fear it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331679/Chesapeake-Bay-bridge-The-Maryland-bridge-terrifying-locals-pay-25-company-shuttle-car.html

Wow! Glad she's ok.

As I understand it, there are people who are frightened to death of that bridge. Also, I understand that people are paid to drive other's cars over the bridge.

I get nervous going over that bridge.

I get nervous as hell on that bridge.  Not to the point where I'd consider paying someone to drive me across, but still, it's scary as ****.  Honestly can't believe that this is the first incident.  I've often thought that those rails aren't big/strong enough looking to hold a car going back at a decent speed.

Going across to the Eastern shore is the worst, IIRC because it's two lanes, you're up against the rail no matter what.  Coming back is better because it's three lanes.  I sit in the middle.

Wow! Glad she's ok.

As I understand it, there are people who are frightened to death of that bridge. Also, I understand that people are paid to drive other's cars over the bridge.

>I get nervous going over that bridge.

I get nervous as hell on that bridge.  Not to the point where I'd consider paying someone to drive me across, but still, it's scary as ****.  Honestly can't believe that this is the first incident.  I've often thought that those rails aren't big/strong enough looking to hold a car going back at a decent speed.

Going across to the Eastern shore is the worst, IIRC because it's two lanes, you're up against the rail no matter what.  Coming back is better because it's three lanes.  I sit in the middle.

Sometimes west bound is 3 lanes. A lot of times it's two lanes. With 1 lane dedicated to east bound traffic. I like to drive eastbound on the westbound side to freak out my wife.

for some reason, i'm not freaked out by the bridge at all, even though i have a pretty normal fear of heights. 

i was on the bridge this weekend and was looking for the spot where the car went over, but couldnt see anything. i expected some kind of scrapes or damage to the concrete wall. weird. 

Archived