On Now
Coming Up
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden speaks to media after practice at Redskins Park in Loudoun County, Va. on Friday, November 14, 2014.
  • Fri., Nov. 14, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Live Verizon Gametime Live Redskins pregame show hosted by Lou Holder LIVE from FedExField before the Redskins vs. Buccaneers kickoff on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EST Live Gruden Press Conference Redskins head coach Jay Gruden takes the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Sun., Nov. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EST Live Player Press Conference Select Redskins players take the podium following the Redskins vs. Buccaneers game at FedExField on Sunday, November 16, 2014.
  • Mon., Nov. 17, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Tue., Nov. 18, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Wed., Nov. 19, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Thu., Nov. 20, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

• Fri., Nov. 21, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EST Redskins Nation

Photo

Car knocked off the Bay Bridge in collision with truck

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bang

Bang

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 12,561 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

BAY BRIDGE, Md -
Anne Arundel County and state officials say a collision with a tractor-trailer pushed a car over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and 40 feet into the water.

The State Highway Administration reported that the accident happened about 8:25 p.m. Friday near exit 32 eastbound, at the Sandy Point overpass.

Authorities say the female driver of the car was able to get out of the vehicle and swim to a jetty where she was subsequently rescued.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.c...e#ixzz2ZY3MXPBn

Amazing she's alive.

~Bang

#2 StillUnknown

StillUnknown

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Stories like this remind me that I really need to learn how to swim.

#3 SpringfieldSkins

SpringfieldSkins

The Gadget Play

• Members
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Wow! Glad she's ok.

As I understand it, there are people who are frightened to death of that bridge. Also, I understand that people are paid to drive other's cars over the bridge.

#4 Gary Clark Fan

Gary Clark Fan

The Role Player

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

how she survived this is a miracle.  I ususally travel with  my daughter to the beach around that time on fridays and cant imagine that happening as it would be nearly impossible to rescue myself but i keep thinking how would I be able to save her since she is all strapped in her car seat......

this woman is just lucky it didnt happen in the middle of the bridge.

#5 skinfan2k

skinfan2k

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 17,007 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

that beach is just not designed for cars going at high school without a high guardrail.  it doesn't take too much for a car to over in certain areas.  

if this happened to me, i wouldn't have survived. 

#6 Elessar78

Elessar78

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

What worries me is how to get my kid or kids out in the event this happens. 

how to get out of car sinking in deep water:

"POGO"

#7 Capo

Capo

Cheerleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I get nervous going over that bridge.

#8 stevemcqueen1

stevemcqueen1

The Pro Bowlers

• Members
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm sure the truck was doing something stupid and dangerous.

#9 Gibbs Hog Heaven

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 21,992 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Wow. Lucky girl praise the Lord.

She sure had a guardian angel looking out for her Friday.

Hail.

#10 Hubbs

Hubbs

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, definitely one of my top fears, although it helps that the water was only 8 feet deep.

that beach is just not designed for cars going at high school without a high guardrail.

Seriously, the truck driver had no business taking his 18-wheeler onto that beach. But to be fair, you're right, everyone knows this was one of those beaches that's designed for cars with at least a college-level education.

:P

#11 Dan T.

Dan T.

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 16,644 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

that beach is just not designed for cars going at high school without a high guardrail.  it doesn't take too much for a car to over in certain areas.  

if this happened to me, i wouldn't have survived. 

Autocorrect Post of the Week.

#12 Burgold

Burgold

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 14,229 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Amazing.  Someone was born under a lucky star.  I've driven over that bridge many times and never really felt unsafe.  Just shows how short the distance is between normal and tragedy.

#13 RichmondRedskin88

RichmondRedskin88

The Run Stopper

• Banned
  • 5,614 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

I find the Harry Nice bridge between VA-MD more nerve racking.  Nothing good happens if there's a wreck.

#14 chipwhich

chipwhich

The Run Stopper

• Members
  • 5,724 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Amazing.  Someone was born under a lucky star.  I've driven over that bridge many times and never really felt unsafe.  Just shows how short the distance is between normal and tragedy.

Living next to the Bay Bridge, there is plenty of tragedy there.  Bad stuff happens ALL the time.  Accidents, jumpers, deaths, bridge pieces falling off, etc.

There are plenty of people who drive it tend to fear it.

http://www.dailymail...huttle-car.html

#15 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Wow! Glad she's ok.

As I understand it, there are people who are frightened to death of that bridge. Also, I understand that people are paid to drive other's cars over the bridge.

I get nervous going over that bridge.

I get nervous as hell on that bridge.  Not to the point where I'd consider paying someone to drive me across, but still, it's scary as ****.  Honestly can't believe that this is the first incident.  I've often thought that those rails aren't big/strong enough looking to hold a car going back at a decent speed.

Going across to the Eastern shore is the worst, IIRC because it's two lanes, you're up against the rail no matter what.  Coming back is better because it's three lanes.  I sit in the middle.

#16 rictus58

rictus58

The Starter

• Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Wow! Glad she's ok.

>I get nervous going over that bridge.

I get nervous as hell on that bridge.  Not to the point where I'd consider paying someone to drive me across, but still, it's scary as ****.  Honestly can't believe that this is the first incident.  I've often thought that those rails aren't big/strong enough looking to hold a car going back at a decent speed.

Going across to the Eastern shore is the worst, IIRC because it's two lanes, you're up against the rail no matter what.  Coming back is better because it's three lanes.  I sit in the middle.

Sometimes west bound is 3 lanes. A lot of times it's two lanes. With 1 lane dedicated to east bound traffic. I like to drive eastbound on the westbound side to freak out my wife.

#17 grego

grego

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

for some reason, i'm not freaked out by the bridge at all, even though i have a pretty normal fear of heights. 

i was on the bridge this weekend and was looking for the spot where the car went over, but couldnt see anything. i expected some kind of scrapes or damage to the concrete wall. weird. 

#18 Gamebreaker

Gamebreaker

The Cover Corner

• Members
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

This seems to happen on an annual basis. I try to avoid that bridge as much as possible.

#19 Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Someone mentioned the Nice Bridge. I remember driving across that abut 5 years ago, in a full on downpour, barely being able to make out the bus in front of me. One of the freakiest moments I've ever experienced driving.