Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

The white over burgundy look was what was worn during the Gibbs I run in the 80's/90's, and yes the uniform has no physical effect on performance, and yes it was also worn during the losing seasons after Gibbs left.

But that color combo represents when we won SBs and were perennial winners, and many fans adhere or associate this look with the time when we were good. The white over yellow look has to go, I don't think there's an argument on that one, but the other look is too old looking; the burgundy over yellow look does look 70's, and just not updated enough to coincide with the rest of the league.

There are a handful of teams who have not messed with their look in forever, but their look is simplistic enough to actually blend in nicely with the rest. And of course a couple of teams have really went off the deep end with change. Being Bruce has opened Pandora's box of change it has been a disaster, and disaster seems to follow him wherever he goes.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

The white over burgundy look was what was worn during the Gibbs I run in the 80's/90's, and yes the uniform has no physical effect on performance, and yes it was also worn during the losing seasons after Gibbs left.

I am sure that it has been mentioned that Allen started the home whites solely to make Dallas wear blue.  Gibbs carried on the tradition.  I would love to see it return. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I am sure that it has been mentioned that Allen started the home whites solely to make Dallas wear blue.  Gibbs carried on the tradition.  I would love to see it return. 

I don't think George Allen did that.  I always remember us wearing burgundy at home with both him and Pardee.  I know we went had new uniforms in 1978-79 under Pardee.  Allen was let go after the 77-78 season.  I know when Gibbs was in SD, they always wore white at home under Coryell.  I think that was more of a factor then having Dallass wear their blue.

57 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I don't think George Allen did that.  I always remember us wearing burgundy at home with both him and Pardee.  I know we went had new uniforms in 1978-79 under Pardee.  Allen was let go after the 77-78 season.  I know when Gibbs was in SD, they always wore white at home under Coryell.  I think that was more of a factor then having Dallass wear their blue.

I've seen something about this recently, from what I recall re went to white pants with burgundy jerseys and burgundy pants with white jerseys when Beathard became GM in 79, but I don't think we switched to white jerseys at home until Gibbs in 81

9 minutes ago, Diesel Hog said:

Haha, you are right, my bad.  Wasn't there another guy in that mix who was a dud?  Comb, Devin, and who else?  Thanks Vinny! 

Fred Davis, who was a bit less of a bust than the other two

4 hours ago, carex said:

I've seen something about this recently, from what I recall re went to white pants with burgundy jerseys and burgundy pants with white jerseys when Beathard became GM in 79, but I don't think we switched to white jerseys at home until Gibbs in 81

This is all correct, except Beathard became GM in '78 . The burgundy jerseys with white pants at home did begin in '79,

Edited by C.Taylor

33 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Win, lose, or draw, the white top, burgandy pants will always be the best look.  Any other color pants on them just looks goofy.

I agree and disagree.  I think white on burgundy may indeed be the best look, but burgundy on gold is not far behind, and it's certainly not a goofy look.  Nor is white on gold, or all white.  All burgundy however did look a little goofy.  That may have been my least favorite uniform combo.

White on burgundy should be the primary road uniform, while burgundy on gold should be the primary home uniform.

Bring back the white pants for the occasional all white look, and use the gold pants on the road for like one game.

As I keep saying, the team should fix their stripes, then have white, burgundy, and gold pants and jerseys.  If done right, gold jerseys with burgundy pants could look pretty cool.  The gist of it would be something like this:

robert-griffin-iii-colt-mccoy-kirk-cousi

Edited by Diesel Hog

That gold jersey would work with the burgundy pants.  It would make a better color rush with burgundy pants too.  It would be the flip side to the normal home uniform while the team still displays their primary burgundy and gold colors.  This as opposed to the solid color look or all burgundy or all gold.

Actually, now that I think about it, all teams should try it...

Oakland with black pants and silver jerseys.

Buffalo with blue pants and red jerseys (as opposed to all red color rush they currently do)

Green Bay with green pants and gold jerseys

Pittsburg with black pants and gold jerseys

etc....

2 hours ago, Diesel Hog said:

I agree and disagree.  I think white on burgundy may indeed be the best look, but burgundy on gold is not far behind, and it's certainly not a goofy look.  Nor is white on gold, or all white.  All burgundy however did look a little goofy.  That may have been my least favorite uniform combo.

White on burgundy should be the primary road uniform, while burgundy on gold should be the primary home uniform.

Bring back the white pants for the occasional all white look, and use the gold pants on the road for like one game.

As I keep saying, the team should fix their stripes, then have white, burgundy, and gold pants and jerseys.  If done right, gold jerseys with burgundy pants could look pretty cool.  The gist of it would be something like this:

I think I'm just anti the gold pants.  That never worked for me.

On 9/27/2016 at 1:27 PM, DM72 said:

Just permanently go to the white tops/burgundy bottoms and burgundy tops/white bottoms and throw away the yellow bottoms.

Yellow bottoms only work with Pittsburgh and GB.

there's no sensible reason for that to be true, so I'm going to just say it's not.

And I hate white pants so I'd prefer they never get brought back

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Would make sense, given the Boston origins of the team.

But isn't Harvard's red actually scarlet, not burgundy?

BostonRedskins_FRC01_1935_SOL01_SOLCOA_S

But before the official vote by the Harvard Corporation, students’ color of choice had at one point wavered between crimson and magenta – probably because the idea of using colors to represent universities was still new in the latter part of the 19th century. Pushed by popular debate to decide, Harvard undergraduates held a plebiscite on May 6, 1875, on the University’s color, and crimson won by a wide margin. The student newspaper – which had been called The Magenta – changed its name with the very next issue.

http://www.harvard.edu/about-harvard/harvard-glance/history

• Like 2

OK, keep the burgundy pants with the two-striped socks. 

Perhaps for one home game, take the field for pregame warm-ups in all burgundy, then do a "Notre Dame" and switch to gold jerseys before coming out on the field for the game. 

Edited by studzmckenzie