Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The deep ball

CaliSkinsFan92

It is so nice to see the deep ball being utilized as it was today. One of the big positives about RG3 before he was drafted was the amazing deep ball that he posses and it has been used well the last 2 weeks and was used early in the season in St Louis. Aldrick Robinson seems to be our obvious deep threat while Garcon is a guy who can take it to the house from anywhere. Moss, Morgan, and Hank are more possesion recievers who all caught some important first down catches today but might be able to get deep as well. I find it very excited to have such an awesome deep ball thrower and having the threat of scoring at anytime. That was an amazing throw today.:D

Robinson has a knack for it, but I like that several of our guys have gotten open for long TDs this season. I can't remember a season when so many different guys have hauled in deep passes like this. In 2005 Moss had a bunch and in 1999 we had both Westbrook and Connell. But so far this year Moss, Robinson, Hankerson, Paul, and Garçon have scored relatively long TDs in the passing game. Davis and Morgan also have the ability as well. This could be fun if these kids continue to gel!

Completely agree that's it's a MORE than welcome return to the game of a guy who had arguably the best deep ball game in college last year. And I've been critical of the OC for not letting him air it out more often purely because of that ability we know he posses in abundance.

But to be fair, we've utilized him fantastically well all year long to both utilize what he's comfortable with in helping him transition to the pro's and play to his strengths therein; and also to play the current strengths of the O and the weakness' we have. All the B/S from the talking heads, and indeed many fans about the 'gimmicky' offense and 'teams catching up with the scheme' are simply that, B/S. This O is as pro as any other O out there. It just looks more college like as we run far more base sets out of the gun and pistol. But the plays are far from collegiate. And the more we go, RGIII will placate everyone as he has the ability to cover ever single facet of a QB's bag of tricks. Those that want a drop back passer will get that in abundance. Those that relish the option runs and his unique athletic ability will continue to see that. The dude has EVERYTHING and more.

This will be the most dynamic offense in the entire league within the next year or so. And even if teams do catch up, stopping it and more so him with the brilliant use of zone reads and that unique duel threat of arm and legs is another thing altogether.

And when the D finally catches up .....

Hail.

Garcon being back opens things up, but man, RG3 spreads the ball around like crazy. Its gotta be tough to defend when every game 7-9 different receivers are catching passes and 3-4 guys are catching long TD passes. Moss, Hank, Garcon and Robinson all have long TD passes this year. It's crazy.

Im sorry I know we won and all but the REFS were really trying there hardest to cheat us out of a victory!! The Refs called a horrible game Im just being real,I don't care that we won, the game was called one sided And it really Irked my nerves!!!!

i liked that one play where griffin clearly ran for the first, the ref gave him a HORRIBLE spot making it 3rd and inches ... and we get a touchdown on the next play. it's nice to be good enough to win even when things don't particularly go your way.

But the media has been telling me all he does is checkdown and dump off to preserve his completion percentage!

This can't be possible!

Can't wait to hear Charlie Casserly's weekly RG3 critiques. Last week he said RG3 was taking off running when the first read was not there and then discredited the perfect passing rating by saying that most of the throws were checkdowns.

I refuse to get ahead of myself so forgive my hyperbole, but the last two games it has looked like a modern day Posse out there at WR. Now I know as a unit they have a long way to go before they deserve that comparison, but they have really been dominating the secondaries of the NFC East....next up NYG!

Also, lets not forget, there were plenty of catches earlier in the season that RGIII either put right on the money, or at least looked very catchable, that were simply dropped by the WRs, so it hurt the perception of his deep ball. We have to remember, if you aren't a 'Skins fan, and aren't watching these games, incompletions simply get tallied as incompletions, no one else really looks at the game or film to see why they were incompletions.

I am not sure what the coaches did during the bye week....maybe called in Jerry Rice and Art Monk to teach "how to catch a football thrown right into your hands" seminars all week long? Whatever it is, it seemed to work.

Whats amazing is that RG III was able to be as accurate as he was while still be under duress for quite a bit of plays. The line did a fairly nice job, but there were more blindside hits on RG III then I care for. It is a testament to RG III's poise. His play action is truly elite, there will be times when he probably doesn't fool the safeties but he showed a nice ability to get the ball up to intermediate levels too. Morris running effectively is also instrumental in this. He really makes it easy for us with how much the opposing defense has to respect him. I think with the extra days off, and a relatively weaker Giants rolling into town next time, Shanny and company should be able to put together a gameplan that may have potential to duplicate this performance. The team is trending in the right direction, we finally have reason to be excited :)

Oh and to add one more thing, It is a great sign that RGIII seems to trust just about every WR/TE/RB/FB etc etc on the team. With young QBs sometimes they tend to focus on a certain player or two that they have good chemistry with, but RGIII seems willing to find whoever is in the best position and throw it to that person on any given play.

It is great to see the deep ball from RGIII....and see our wr's actually hang onto the pass. While the play designs are great, a key factor on these passes are the great handoff fakes that RGIII makes. This freezes linebackers and db's alike long enough for speedy wr's like robinson to blow by them.

So much for dcoords catching onto our college offense. If only we had a d that was a bit more stout.....

How can you call Moss a possession receiver a week removed from catching a 61 yard bomb while double covered?

Moss can still adjust to the deep pass as good or better than anyone in the league.

Moss is so much more than a possession receiver to me, it's like blasphemy what you posted. To me he is still the Skins #1 receiver. He has more TDs than anyone else on the roster. Granted Garçon being healthy all year would have probably changed that, but Moss is proving everyone wrong with how well he is playing this year. My hat goes off to him.

I won't be shocked at all if this guy ends up with a career year TD wise. Im thinking 10+. How many posters here saw that coming?

But yea, can't argue with how well RG3 is executing the deep passes. It helps when Robinson is running by safeties and dbs as if they were standing still :ols:

Deep ball is nice, but what I liked even more is the short throws where he threw to perfect windows for the receiver to make a play...

Garcon, Moss, even Morgan. That is what separates the tiers of QB, whether you can throw it accurately enough even if the receiver is only open a step

Thats why Campbell sucked ass he couldn't makethose throws and showed it by being gunshy and only dumping off to runningback

How can you call Moss a possession receiver a week removed from catching a 61 yard bomb while double covered?

Moss can still adjust to the deep pass as good or better than anyone in the league.

Moss is so much more than a possession receiver to me, it's like blasphemy what you posted. To me he is still the Skins #1 receiver. He has more TDs than anyone else on the roster. Granted Garçon being healthy all year would have probably changed that, but Moss is proving everyone wrong with how well he is playing this year. My hat goes off to him.

I won't be shocked at all if this guy ends up with a career year TD wise. Im thinking 10+. How many posters here saw that coming?

But yea, can't argue with how well RG3 is executing the deep passes. It helps when Robinson is running by safeties and dbs as if they were standing still :ols:

Love this post, and you're right. I think I remember hearing something about Moss claiming he felt in the best shape he's been in for a number of years.

And those Aldrick deep routes are also a testament to robs play action. I mean honestly ES...have ever seen more believable play fake mechanics??!

I never really meant possession receiver as a negative I was just thinking in terms of all the first down short passes he has caught this year. It's true he has had a lot of deep touchdowns as well, I didn't really think of last week because I was honestly thinking in terms of hitting guys in stride such as he did Robinson and even Moss against the Giants. :)

Archived