Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The deep ball

CaliSkinsFan92

i liked that one play where griffin clearly ran for the first, the ref gave him a HORRIBLE spot making it 3rd and inches ... and we get a touchdown on the next play. it's nice to be good enough to win even when things don't particularly go your way.

Yeah,you noticed that too? Or What else was funny was when Jones was tackled in bounds,but the refs stopped the clock,and ruled him out of bounds 12 seconds before the two minute warning. Then on the next Play Kerriugan sacks Romo sits to pee..buhahah!!! I think the worst call of the game was when they hit RGIII late when he was out of bounds,and the ref threw the flag,but later on picked it back up with no explanation at all??? SMH This was right after the LF59 INT..it made it 3 and 6 ..and the gave us our penalty RGIII would have scored and the score would've been 35 -6 lol They really tried to give Dallas the game

rg3 currently leads the league in TD passes over 30 yards with 9. nobody else has more than 7.

That stat blew me away, with the likes of Brees, Brady, Manning, Rogers, Schaub, and Stafford out there, I could name more but wow. Given the fact he was knocked out of the Falcon game, and struggled in the Steeler, and Panther game the fact that he leads in the category is insane.

On NFL website, it says "Just call him RG4" for the 2 consecutive games with 4 touchdowns. I was one who promised myself not to get too excited during the whole preseason hype of him. I even tempered my excitement during his first game against the Saints. I remember the criticism was that he was doing short passes, and Garcon's YAC would pad his stats. With that said, it almost seems unfair when he unleashes his deep ball. He can kill you with his legs, so you have to contain him. His accuracy on short passes makes you play him as a bonafide NFL QB. Add in his deep ball, and you just know this guy will be elite in this league. The scary thing to his opponents is that he has the ability to use each one of his traits at will.

***Note on his accuracy. Today, he threw an interception. That is to be expected. Looking at it closer, you can see that Ware pushed Paulsen back into RG3's front leg. RG3 couldn't complete the entire throwing motion correctly. http://imgur.com/a/cH8iy#8 (got this from a Dallas forum)

What I've loved about the deep ball this year is how we've run it.

It seems like guys are always running wide open when we use it. Probably because of basically everything else we run they have to think about, the deep ball is gotta be the last thing on anyone's mind.

If ya think about it this was true last year. Roughly half of Grossman's interceptions were wide open bombs that fell five yards short of their target, but the receiver was there. The difference is arm and timing, and not necessarily playcalling.

AA could get open deep, Grossman just couldn't get it there. Griffin can. Mind you, some of the wide open's are WIDE open. Paul had half the field to himself yesterday.

Yeah,you noticed that too? Or What else was funny was when Jones was tackled in bounds,but the refs stopped the clock,and ruled him out of bounds 12 seconds before the two minute warning. Then on the next Play Kerriugan sacks Romo sits to pee..buhahah!!! I think the worst call of the game was when they hit RGIII late when he was out of bounds,and the ref threw the flag,but later on picked it back up with no explanation at all??? SMH This was right after the LF59 INT..it made it 3 and 6 ..and the gave us our penalty RGIII would have scored and the score would've been 35 -6 lol They really tried to give Dallas the game

That was very disturbing. Every iffy call went the Cowboys' way.

Glaringly obvious when they played the Browns last week as well. Against the Browns it even seemed as if they were feeding into the tone of what the fans wanted to hear when they'd announce their calls, as if refs were a home-team concept or something. Yep, disturbing.

How can you call Moss a possession receiver a week removed from catching a 61 yard bomb while double covered?

Moss can still adjust to the deep pass as good or better than anyone in the league.

Moss is so much more than a possession receiver to me, it's like blasphemy what you posted. To me he is still the Skins #1 receiver. He has more TDs than anyone else on the roster. Granted Garçon being healthy all year would have probably changed that, but Moss is proving everyone wrong with how well he is playing this year. My hat goes off to him.

I won't be shocked at all if this guy ends up with a career year TD wise. Im thinking 10+. How many posters here saw that coming?

But yea, can't argue with how well RG3 is executing the deep passes. It helps when Robinson is running by safeties and dbs as if they were standing still :ols:

Moss has been amazing and has never had a QB under center to truly showcase his talent. He has never ****ed. He has been the consummate team player and IF ANYONE on the Skins deserves a SB ring it is him IMO>

I have been waiting to see more deep balls, at least tried. They dont have to all be successful but maybe thats for the best. RG3 and his grade A fakes can get another step in the wrong direction out of safety's, and we have the speed at wideout to blow by.

I like the deep ball to be led out in front of the WR, let the WR be able to run to it, or slow down and still shield the trailing DB if needed. It allows for off target throws to still be easily caught. Over the shoulder or back catches are more difficult to adjust to and catch.

Heavy play action deep post option is now my favorite play. Teams will have to adjust and sit flat footed which means easier yards for Morris. The wheels on the bus go round and round.

I liked right before the AR TD, he had a false start. It was like an Omen. Jumping the gun to get on top of that safety and the camera zoomed in on him. Then Aikmen does a huge BIO on him talking about his fast he is, college etc.

Garcon has to be about the strongest RAC wideout we have ever had. He looks like a TE with WR speed. What a beast.

It will be interesting to see how the deep ball continues to develop. The fact that the last two weeks have seen bombs to Aldrick Robinson is awesome. Wasn't he a 7th round pick? Got to love seeing those late picks working out so well.

If the coaches start to develop some confidence in Niles Paul to catch the ball I see him getting a deep ball in the next few weeks. He is a TE with WR speed who is getting covered by LB's.

Aikman was calling the game from the booth, I swear. When RGIII didn't get the 1st down, and we had a 'link of the chain' to go, Aikman said,"He could air it out here, knowing he can get an inch on 4th down if he misses." Next play, aired-out touchdown pass. Was a great game, and I can't wait to go to work later...for once!! LOL

HTTR!!!:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

Completely agree that's it's a MORE than welcome return to the game of a guy who had arguably the best deep ball game in college last year. And I've been critical of the OC for not letting him air it out more often purely because of that ability we know he posses in abundance.

But to be fair, we've utilized him fantastically well all year long to both utilize what he's comfortable with in helping him transition to the pro's and play to his strengths therein; and also to play the current strengths of the O and the weakness' we have. All the B/S from the talking heads, and indeed many fans about the 'gimmicky' offense and 'teams catching up with the scheme' are simply that, B/S. This O is as pro as any other O out there. It just looks more college like as we run far more base sets out of the gun and pistol. But the plays are far from collegiate. And the more we go, RGIII will placate everyone as he has the ability to cover ever single facet of a QB's bag of tricks. Those that want a drop back passer will get that in abundance. Those that relish the option runs and his unique athletic ability will continue to see that. The dude has EVERYTHING and more.

This will be the most dynamic offense in the entire league within the next year or so. And even if teams do catch up, stopping it and more so him with the brilliant use of zone reads and that unique duel threat of arm and legs is another thing altogether.

And when the D finally catches up .....

Hail.

Great post. Agreed!

Aikman was calling the game from the booth, I swear. When RGIII didn't get the 1st down, and we had a 'link of the chain' to go, Aikman said,"He could air it out here, knowing he can get an inch on 4th down if he misses." Next play, aired-out touchdown pass. Was a great game, and I can't wait to go to work later...for once!! LOL

HTTR!!!:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

He also called Robinson's TD out. Love him or hate him the dude was a great QB and knows football. Its the little moronic chihuahua looking man Joe Buck that degrade his commentary most of the time.

When Robinson got his deep ball and Niles Paul got his touchdown both plays seemed to just shock the Cowboys players when the FOX cameras showed the bench players.

Long pass plays really have an effect on changing momentum and I wish I could have heard how quiet that stadium was last night as we were scoring so often in the first half.

***Note on his accuracy. Today, he threw an interception. That is to be expected. Looking at it closer, you can see that Ware pushed Paulsen back into RG3's front leg. RG3 couldn't complete the entire throwing motion correctly. http://imgur.com/a/cH8iy#8 (got this from a Dallas forum)

I noticed this too.

I couldn't tell if his leg was tangled with, but it was clear his feet were not set to throw the ball properly.

nice catch on seeing and work on posting those stills ginsu. We should know, when he throws an INT, its probably not his fault.

I agree we are a different team with Garcon in the lineup, but we should still be able to have guys get open deep based on RG3s play action fakes alone. Even if guys cant get open deep, at least still air it out to make teams respect it, plant the seed, open up things underneath, and then dial deep again later.

I think its time to let RG3 pass the ball more often, in goal to go. But thats not really a problem, when you score from 50+!

Deep balls are only effective and work when you have Garcon. He changes how defenses play no matter how injured he is. He is a playmaker. We are 4-0 when he plays and it shows.

Agreed 100%. They need Garcon out there without question to stretch the defense which was definitely the case yesterday. He's the key to the Shanhan's offense.

Moss has been amazing and has never had a QB under center to truly showcase his talent. He has never ****ed. He has been the consummate team player and IF ANYONE on the Skins deserves a SB ring it is him IMO>

Fletcher is the other. You cannot underrate his ironman ability. Its uncanny. Superhero status.

As for the deep ball.....oh it is so awesome.

Robinson needs to get as many snaps as possible. The guy is a legit deep threat and you have to account for him when he's on the field. He opens everything up underneath.

Garcon is just a stud though. FINALLY we have a WR who can make the tough catch and get YAC and bail out his QB. Guys like Eli and Matt Ryan have made a career out of putting the ball basically up for grabs and letting the receiver make a play.

"i liked that one play where griffin clearly ran for the first, the ref gave him a HORRIBLE spot making it 3rd and inches ... and we get a touchdown on the next play. it's nice to be good enough to win even when things don't particularly go your way."

Good point

These are the types of inevitable mistakes made during a game that "Good Teams" can routinely overcome and not become a game changer!!

WOW...2 weeks and what a difference throughout the mediots conversations..."""MVP talk"""""

Why are we having Trent downblock on the tackle? Just have Trent match up one on one on Ware. One of the little known secrets about Trent is that he OWNS DeMarcus Ware. DeMarcus Ware has done nothing against Trent in any game they matched up.

Archived