Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFF has Trent Williams ranked as the 28th best player in the league

Xero21

One of their writers just put out a Top 51 list. Glad to see something like this amidst all the doom and gloom.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/pff-top-51/3/

28. Trent Williams, LT, WAS

I remember when Williams looked massively out of his depth as a rookie. Now he just fends off pass rushers with the kind of ease you’d expect from a man taken fourth overall. The five penalties aren’t ideal, but he’s one of these rare tackles who can do a job in pass protection and contribute in the run game. Taking the step to elite status.

Key Stat: His 97.2 pass blocking efficiency is fourth of all left tackles.

For me, this is more evidence that Shanahan's plan needs time. Trent is playing his best football in year 3 of his career after so many were willing to depart with him last year, even before his stupidity landed him a suspension.

I've said all year that Trent and Monty have played very well this season... almost Pro-Bowl well.

Trent got hosed on that holding penalty this past week, it was actually a pancake... but he's performed well and shown a lot of heart.

Monty needs to get back to snapping his shotgun snap with some pop, but he's played well also.

Wouldn't be surprised if Trent is asked to do far more than any other tackle in the league. He needs to be the straw that stirs the drink for our run game and he is always left on an island against the best rushers in the league. Who else is asked to deal with Ware, the Eagles gang, and the Giants gang (they get to stay fresh too), without help--and wins for the most part?

The one play that sticks to my mind is the play against the Giants on the 4th down that was converted to Paulsen. Griffin was scrambling and Tuck was pursuing him, but Williams continued playing and went over and knocked Tuck to the ground. Like to see that kind of hustle. It's not easy being an OL'man for a QB like Griffin because you don't know where he is going to be half the time.

Would love to see us run more screens and utilize his elite ability to get out in space.

Many here, including I, wanted Okung with that pick. Increasingly looking foolish with time

The preseason game against Buffalo comes to mind.

When that draft came up, I was enamoured with Okung myself. But as I studied what type of linemen Shanahan wanted, I knew this was the guy he was looking at. Of course in hindsight, he looks better than Okung now and I'm glad of it.

Would love to see us run more screens and utilize his elite ability to get out in space.

Many here, including I, wanted Okung with that pick. Increasingly looking foolish with time

Agreed. I literally sat there and said "Not trent Williams, Not Trent Williams" as the commissioner walked to the podium. Egg meet face. He's been fantastic.

Archived