Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFF has Trent Williams ranked as the 28th best player in the league

Xero21

It's not only Trent Williams play this seasons that has me hyped, it is his attitude. Anybody on the opposing team's defense come at anybody on our team with some nonsense, especially RG3, Trent Williams is over there to let his presence be known. I love that type of attitude.

This. I have been wanting to see that nasty side of him for the last two years and it seems to have come out. He really seems to get upset when people are giving RG3 the business. That nasty streak is what will ultimately make him an elite LT for years to come.

The preseason game against Buffalo comes to mind.

When that draft came up, I was enamoured with Okung myself. But as I studied what type of linemen Shanahan wanted, I knew this was the guy he was looking at. Of course in hindsight, he looks better than Okung now and I'm glad of it.

I was so pissed about that pick at the time. But, Trent has become a mauler.

I love Trent's play this year along with the maturity, leadership, and aggressiveness that he is showing this year. There seems to be a recurring situation at the beginning of a lot of our games where the opposing defenders like to shove RG3's face in the dirt after the play is blown dead. Trent (and Darrell Young) is usually there first to let the defenders know to back off.

Allow me to channel the thoughts of the souls from beyond as of 1/1/2012:

Trent Williams is a pothead and doomed to failure. Cut him. He is what he is. Helplessly addicted to pot. Will get suspended again. Forget about him. Put Willie Smith in at LT. It would be a upgrade. ****, where's D'Anthony Batiste? He's a blue collar, character guy. Trent is worse than him. Let's pick him up.

Trent has really answered all his critics this year in fantastic fashion. He is becoming an elite left tackle, he just needs to keep improving. I sensed maturity issues with him in interviews early on, and the drug suspension was the cherry on top confirming my fears. Clearly, he spent the last year growing up a lot, and his play this year has been great. One of the plays that really stood out for me was the block he put on Pierre-Paul in the Giants game on Robert's 4 down scramble. He almost upstaged Robert on that play.

It's not only Trent Williams play this seasons that has me hyped, it is his attitude. Anybody on the opposing team's defense come at anybody on our team with some nonsense, especially RG3, Trent Williams is over there to let his presence be known. I love that type of attitude.

Your absolutely right. You know what else I feel like I have noticed? He has bated OTHERS into stupid emotional responses to him that have gotten us 15. His first few years his lack of discipline drove me insane. Now I agree he is a protective force for RG3 but a smarter one than he was earlier in his career. I have HUGE hopes for him moving forward. Really strong teams have a few things:

1) A top flight Qb

2) A premier left tackle

3) A lock down corner or a safety with incredible range

4) a playmaking wide reciever that commands over the top help on every play.

5) A premier pass rusher

We lack #3 and #4 and the jury is out on #5. Other teams also have SOLID players at other positions and we can use some upgrades but we are on our way thanks to Robert and Trent.

When Rg3 was hit while going outta bounds late In the fourth, seeing Trent rushing over to the scene put a smile on my face. I like It.

This. I have been wanting to see that nasty side of him for the last two years and it seems to have come out. He really seems to get upset when people are giving RG3 the business. That nasty streak is what will ultimately make him an elite LT for years to come.

I think Trent was pretty nasty day one. He's been the first to join any scrum since he was a rook.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 12:11 AM ----------

Transition? He played LT at Oklahoma.

Correct. He was an All American at RT his junior year and the same at LT his senior year.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 12:15 AM ----------

It was fairly clear Trent was special early as a rookie. By the first game of his second year, it was clear he was already pretty dominant. He played at a Probowl level last season and he was hurt most of the year, probably would have been recognized for it if he hadn't gotten himself suspended.

Can someone tell me what the 97 percent efficiency actually is for pass protection? Not that I am an expert by any means I have him at roughly 85 percent but I am basing mine off of a successful block as in kept the defender from getting pressure period. Is that 97 percent the times he did not get beat? If so that stat is off. I know I am not perfect when I am doing the grade but if that is indeed the case that is off.

havent posted in a while, but after the way last year ended i have been extremely impressed with Trent.

he didnt say a whole lot other than the usual "i let my teammates down and it wont happen again." instead he SHOWED actual leadership by keeping his head down, putting in the work, and simply coming back better than ever. that was the only way he was going to earn anyone's respect back.

good for him - just keep it up.

Can someone tell me what the 97 percent efficiency actually is for pass protection? Not that I am an expert by any means I have him at roughly 85 percent but I am basing mine off of a successful block as in kept the defender from getting pressure period. Is that 97 percent the times he did not get beat? If so that stat is off. I know I am not perfect when I am doing the grade but if that is indeed the case that is off.

It isn't graded on only was he beat or not. They graded based on completing his assignment, how long did he hold his block, did the QB hold the ball too long causing the sack etc.

The way you're grading isn't an effective way of grading. Pressure happens. Preventing pressure is nearly 100% impossible. You must prevent the pressure from getting to the quarterback. Riding your man outside and behind the QB isn't the same as letting him get to the QB to apply a pressure situation. The quarterback must be able to use evasive techniques to step up and avoid pressure.

Furthermore there are other factors in play. Was it his assignment to block that guy or was he chipping and picking up someone else? Was the RB supposed to help out? Did Griffin hold the ball too long? There's many factors in play. Blocking is NEVER a one man show.

The way you're grading isn't an effective way of grading. Pressure happens. Preventing pressure is nearly 100% impossible. You must prevent the pressure from getting to the quarterback. Riding your man outside and behind the QB isn't the same as letting him get to the QB to apply a pressure situation. The quarterback must be able to use evasive techniques to step up and avoid pressure.

Furthermore there are other factors in play. Was it his assignment to block that guy or was he chipping and picking up someone else? Was the RB supposed to help out? Did Griffin hold the ball too long? There's many factors in play. Blocking is NEVER a one man show.

I am aware of the other factors going on in the play. When I watch a guy I see if he keeps his block for a set amount of time. I know the Quarterback has a set amount of time to get the ball out. But if a man gets pushed to the outside only to cut back inside making the Quarterback step up into the pocket is that not pressure? It altered the Quarterback did it not? And for a Left tackle I personally think its obvious to what his assignment is when the ball is snapped. Usually a guy is lined up right overtop of him or slightly to the side. Now if a corner comes running up then yes usually a back is supposed to pick that up. All I am saying is 97 percent is really high and yes I see that it is on numerous situations and I guess what I am getting at its all subjective at the end of the day.

I am aware of the other factors going on in the play. When I watch a guy I see if he keeps his block for a set amount of time. I know the Quarterback has a set amount of time to get the ball out. But if a man gets pushed to the outside only to cut back inside making the Quarterback step up into the pocket is that not pressure? It altered the Quarterback did it not? And for a Left tackle I personally think its obvious to what his assignment is when the ball is snapped. Usually a guy is lined up right overtop of him or slightly to the side. Now if a corner comes running up then yes usually a back is supposed to pick that up. All I am saying is 97 percent is really high and yes I see that it is on numerous situations and I guess what I am getting at its all subjective at the end of the day.

You're in a tough position trying to actually grade the players without knowing what protection they're in. What's the set amount of time? It is more for a 7 step drop than a 5 step drop? What about a 1 step drop that the quarterback decides not to throw? Those are the things you can't possibly see.

If a corner comes running up it's not necessarily the back helping out. It's dependent on protection call. Some teams will kick that tackle out and the guard to the original defensive end if there is a 1-tech defender to that side. Some teams will keep the big on big principles and have the back pick up the blitzer. It all depends on protections. 3x3? 2x3? JET? Tons of variations to be had.

You're in a tough position trying to actually grade the players without knowing what protection they're in. What's the set amount of time? It is more for a 7 step drop than a 5 step drop? What about a 1 step drop that the quarterback decides not to throw? Those are the things you can't possibly see.

If a corner comes running up it's not necessarily the back helping out. It's dependent on protection call. Some teams will kick that tackle out and the guard to the original defensive end if there is a 1-tech defender to that side. Some teams will keep the big on big principles and have the back pick up the blitzer. It all depends on protections. 3x3? 2x3? JET? Tons of variations to be had.

I see what you are saying I really do and I am not trying to start an argument at all. I am just a fan and I conceded to that. My question is do the folks on PFF have intimate knowledge on what the play is that the Shanahans are calling? Do they know the specific blocking assignments? If they do well then I concede what I have said.

I see what you are saying I really do and I am not trying to start an argument at all. I am just a fan and I conceded to that. My question is do the folks on PFF have intimate knowledge on what the play is that the Shanahans are calling? Do they know the specific blocking assignments? If they do well then I concede what I have said.

I doubt they do, either. :ols:

Trent has progressed this year, and I am glad he is getting recognized for his contributions.

However, lets not get carried away. He is no Jim Lachey, or Chris Samuels. With continued hard work in time he might get there.

Archived