Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo News (AP): Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell'

Jumbo

Stereotype-enabled: He's a republican and a southerner. Somewhere you know there must be an elected democrat politician who's qualified for such press and is being neglected. :)

And he's an MD.

http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-calls-evolution-lie-pit-hell-175514039.html

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior. The Republican lawmaker made those comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a medical doctor, is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats.

"God's word is true," Broun said, according to a video posted on the church's website. "I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

Broun also said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true.

<Jumbo edit---here's the damage-control disclaimer> Broun spokeswoman Meredith Griffanti told the Athens Banner-Herald (http://bit.ly/Us4O0Z ) that Broun was recorded speaking off-the-record to a church group about his religious beliefs.

<Jumbo underlined and bolded>--->He sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

< not much more at link >

this was supposed to link to the video, but it seems it's just an interesting banquet promo page with Broun as guest--very camo/NRA friendly :pfft:

http://libertybc.ws/ministries/sportsmanBanquet.cfm

Dear everyone,

We're not with him.

Signed,

Most Christians in America, especially those from mainline denominations

I think ASF can back me up here.

I think many such can, and that's something we can all be grateful for unless you're of Mr. Broun's mindset.

I guess it's okay for politicians to pander. That's what they do, but you got to imagine his medical colleagues are just embarrassed as heck

I bet he's not just pandering. I bet he's fairly sincere, after reading up a bit. :)

I know it's not how we run the Big Top, but I'd have that guy off the damn science committees. :D

So what the hell does he do when he is in a session with the Science, Space and Technology Committee? Just sit there and frown a lot when others mention anything too sciencey?

It really befuddles me when I come upon people who have such fundamentalist views regarding areas of science that clash with their beliefs, yet are part of a profession that relies completely on science itself. Obviously the brain is quite adept at selective reasoning and self-deception in these circumstances but it still seems hard to stretch it THAT far.

mistertim, the human brain (and human behavior) is an amazing thing. :)

To paraphrase The Bard

What a piece of work is a man, How noble in Reason, how infinite in faculties, and yet how like an absolute Igwad in so many ways. :pfft:

What bothers me isn't so much that there exist people who can say things like that.

It's not the fact that people who say things like that aren't institutionalized.

It's that saying things like that doesn't have consequences.

It's the fact that people can say things like that, and a majority of the people will say "I want him to represent me".

Actually, this guy sounds like a preacher that comes to our campus from time to time. I know him and his wife on a personal level. He's...a throwback, shall we say. This sounds like something he'd say.

Such "throwbacks" are still far more popular with far more supporters to a far greater degree than I care to envision (likely to the tune of at least a couple million holding much the same thoughts). I remain very grateful his views as expressed are not the majority views of the our overall Christian population, and even more grateful that those Christians are able to advocate their faith without turning time back to darker ages.

Dear everyone,

We're not with him.

Signed,

Yep, a friend of mine posted this earlier today and my reply was "what a strange time we live in where the Trinity is seen as optional and literal seven day creation is held as absolute doctrine." As early as th 4th century AD Origen denounced the literal seven day creation account as nonsense which would be shown false even with a simple reading of the texts.

It's the fact that people can say things like that, and a majority of the people will say "I want him to represent me".

And yet it's a big reality and it's a relativity free society. They get to be represented if they can pull it off within the system. It's fair. That's why it must be fairly fought IMO. You can't assume it will "not matter" because it's "just a small percentage of one religion." It''s not a truly small group or a mainly disenfranchised group, and they can and do influence as is their right. If a majority of people don't share their message and don't want to see it ascend, it should not be ignored or overlooked or minimized or they gain ground (as most studies suggest they have here in recent decades).

Have to keep your eye on 'em and stay aware---just like with the commies. :pfft:

Such "throwbacks" are still far more popular with far more supporters to a far greater degree than I care to envision (likely to the tune of at least a couple million holding much the same thoughts). I remain very grateful his views as expressed are not the majority views of the our overall Christian population, and even more grateful that those Christians are able to advocate their faith without turning time back to darker ages.

And, in my opinion, Mr. Broun's world view is getting less and less popular among Christians in America.

What bothers me isn't so much that there exist people who can say things like that.

It's not the fact that people who say things like that aren't institutionalized.

It's that saying things like that doesn't have consequences.

I used to say the same thing. Then I started thinking about how diverse we are as a nation and the fact that still about a quarter of the US doesn't believe in evolution. It doesn't shock me honestly that this guy is from Georgia. But this is one of those things where us having representatives who believe this type of stuff and are willing to go as far as calling it a "lie from the pit of hell" is holding the rest of the nation back. (By which I of course mean that his stubbornness and unwillingness to entertain other possibilities hurts our ability to get **** done. Not that the state of Georgia, or the south is holding the rest of the Nation back).

I believe it was you who said "A common sense of reality would help us a lot." Us being such a big diverse nation is hurting us right now.

And, in my opinion, Mr. Broun's world view is getting less and less popular among Christians in America.

I hope so and usually that's my mindset because most of the Christians in my circle (less so recently with my relocation) were not of such views. But most studies say more extreme forms of fundamental and evangelical Christian denominations (we can get into a bailiwick definition-wise so I choose words carefully, as is my wont anyway) and creationists (all kinds) have notably increased over recent decades. So there's that angle. I think most reasonable folks pretty much accept that and regard it now as evident (the increase), even though we all also continue to take comfort in the idea it's still "just a vocal minority" thing. :)

But most studies say more extreme forms of fundamental and evangelical Christian denominations (we can get into a bailiwick definition-wise so I choose words carefully, as is my wont anyway) and creationists (all kinds) have notably increased over recent decades. So there's that angle. I think most reasonable folks pretty much accept that and regard it now as evident (the increase), even though we all also continue to take comfort in the idea it's still "just a vocal minority" thing. :)

I'd thought it had been pretty flat.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx

You've been thinking that way? I'm curious as to why (we're going a bit OT I know)--I mean what studies or articles led you to that view other than this gallup poll? I ask simply because it seems to me that most folks I know in political studies, or sociology/psychology, or even related religious studies, have been thinking more like what I stated.

The typical conversation that I'm used to when the subject arises in most such circles is more about how research and general public perception seems (being repetitive) to indicate that denominations within the Christian community who identify as more conservative, or fundamental, or evangelical, as well as creationist and associated movements, had grown over the last few decades.

In the paragraph you quoted, I made a point to mention my using words carefully---what I stated that "most studies" suggested had increased wasn't just creationism. I point that out because of the way your reply is worded with the use of "it", and the poll being about responses to questions on evolution/creationism only, and there's a reason I want to make that clear.

But I did (and do) include creationism, so if you want to isolate creationism when referring to "it", that's fine. Now your link is one source---a gallup poll (which is also fine---and I only scanned it quickly for now) and it's worded very specifically. I remember seeing at least a couple other studies by various social scientists that show roughly similar results. Such studies do not all land the same point in terms of claims, of course. Few such ever do, including ones on global warming. But I believe! :D

I hope I am wrong in my sense of it as stated, but I admit it's unlikely I'll be doing a serious literature review on it any time soon. I would be happy if support for creationism has actually been flat for a few decades. It may not seem like this has been the case to many people, lay or professional, but I hope it is so.

But hasn't that whole Jesus riding dinos theme (and related exhibits/parks/"museums"), and increased legislative efforts to teach it in science classes and the call for textbook revisions, etc etc been mainly peaking in the last few, or couple, decades? Oh well. Never mind. :ols:

But that's all I have to say on that stuff---the dog I have in this fight is calling out wingnuts influencing the system that governs all Americans. I identify this guys' comments as wingnut comments. I got more of that feeling reading more on him and that church.

<the gallup poll is still pretty scary to me>

---------- Post added October-6th-2012 at 11:45 PM ----------

:ols: well played.

I wonder if his fellow committee members have gotten used to his dramatic interruptions.

"Get behind me, Satan!"

*douses speaker with holy water*

I was looking for something a little "Church Lady" ish with him featured, but didn't see anything. :pfft:

I did find this---it's kind of fun, and the music is swell. :D

Yep, a friend of mine posted this earlier today and my reply was "what a strange time we live in where the Trinity is seen as optional and literal seven day creation is held as absolute doctrine." As early as th 4th century AD Origen denounced the literal seven day creation account as nonsense which would be shown false even with a simple reading of the texts.

Eventually we'll get around to disproving the rest of it too. :D

Dear everyone,

We're not with him.

Signed,

You don't get to pick and chose who is in your group any more than the Muslims do and look how we've been treating that group of people, based on the actions of a small handful.

I think believing in religion is crazy and this guy isn't to far off from what you probably think, in regards to my opinion. fwiw

Archived