Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The HFStival is BACK!!!

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure every year when June 1 comes around, it reminds me of my first HFStival on June 1 1996.  I was looking forward to that day for months ahead of time, which feels like a lifetime when you're 15.

It's a shame I don't live in DC anymore, but I'll be excited to see the lineup.

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I want to see the lineup but I haven't listened to music probably since the last concert. 😂 

I listen to mostly sports talk radio now.

Same and the few times when I listen to music it's only bands from the 80's and 90's.

I remember when HFS changed the format.  I was at a Taco Bell in Reston (If you know the area, you know the McTacoHut, that's exactly where I was) and going through the drive thru and listening to HFS.  It was around noon.

Suddenly, the air went dead for like, 5-10 minutes and I was like, WTF.  I was sitting there eating my food, wondering what happened and as the minutes ticked by, I wondered what the reasoning was and what they'd say when they came back on the air...like, whatever DJ it was goofed or something and how they'd joke about it.

And then, Spanish music came out of the radio.  Changed the channel, changed it back....same thing.

Called the station.  "Is something wrong?  You guys are playing Spanish music."

"It's a format change."

"What do you mean?"

"HFS is gone, dude.  We're as surprised as you are."

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I remember when HFS changed the format.  I was at a Taco Bell in Reston (If you know the area, you know the McTacoHut, that's exactly where I was) and going through the drive thru and listening to HFS.  It was around noon.

Suddenly, the air went dead for like, 5-10 minutes and I was like, WTF.  I was sitting there eating my food, wondering what happened and as the minutes ticked by, I wondered what the reasoning was and what they'd say when they came back on the air...like, whatever DJ it was goofed or something and how they'd joke about it.

And then, Spanish music came out of the radio.  Changed the channel, changed it back....same thing.

Called the station.  "Is something wrong?  You guys are playing Spanish music."

"It's a format change."

"What do you mean?"

"HFS is gone, dude.  We're as surprised as you are."

I came home from a deployment a few months after that. It was old enough for everyone to be used to it but new enough that I didn't know. Everyone I asked was like, "yea where have you been?"

Posted (edited)

Nice! I went in 96 (I think that was the year). First concert with my buddies on our own...saw some wild ****. Oddly the only groups I remember actually sitting down and watching were Blondie and Verve Pipe...and I think Jamiroquai? We left early so we didn't see the later acts. I want to say it was Beck, Prodigy, and Beastie Boys but I'm not sure, gotta look it up now.

Edit - it was 97. My memory was mostly correct, except for the Beastie Boys. My buddy was obssessed with them at the time (and still is) so I assume he was yapping about them the whole time we were there, so some kind of Mandela effect.

Edited by Metalhead

I too remember the format change. Everyone I knew was unhappy about it

on a related note - dc 101 literally still running the same rotation they did when I was in middle school 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFStival

i went to 90, 91, and 93 before i moved to california.....   then i THINK i went to either/or/both 94 95?? when i was back in town for internships   

i lost my shirt.......... and my wallet..... and one shoe........ and my wedding band ...... to the turf of RFK in 93.   good times :)  I figure part of my spirit remains imbued there   

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm interested. Nats Park..... this middle age guy will splurge for seats. Maybe on the Club Level to hang out all day and watch from a distance with clean bathroom access.

This could go so many directions with a lineup. If it's all new bands then I'm probably out. Need some OG HFS bands to come back.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:43 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I remember when HFS changed the format

I remember it too. They had the Junkies when they were funny in the morning. I worked this horrible job out in Reston and a guy I worked with was a big 99.1 fan too. We were pretty pissed about it.

in comes douchebag, know-it-all middle manager (who actually told someone that “you should drive an Audi like I do”) “well actually Spanish music is a growing demographic in this area. It makes sense.”

We just stared at him, and then made fun of his ham radio and called his Audi a Volkswagen

I hope they get some good bands and not the crap early 2000s ass rock.

• Haha 1

Those were the very best concerts in the dc area. Glad to see them back, though I hope the tickets are reasonable. The last two concerts my kid wanted to go to, were north of 500 each, for terrible seats. 

Posted (edited)

Glad it's back, even though it came along after HFS had sold out. I found WHFS at 102.3 way back when, only if the air was right, their signal was weak AF.
In the 80s, i felt lucky we had them, so much new music, and their dee-jays had free reign, could play whatever they wanted if it fell in FCC guidelines. 
Then it changed into We Have Five Songs.
WRNR tried to fill in but hired too many Deadheads. 

Old guy rant over. 

Enjoy the show though, and i say that in all good spirit. But I hope you don't need to take out a mortgage to get in.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 5

Exclusive Nationals Season Plan Holder Presale
It's baaaaaaaack!!! That's right, the legendary HFStival is returning to DC for one day only this September. We're super stoked to announce a stacked lineup of HFStival favorites, like Garbage, Incubus, Bush, and Violent Femmes,and a few others who we always thought should've played the festival, like The Postal Service, Death Cab For Cutie, and Jimmy Eat World. Other activities, vendors, and maybe even a few familiar faces/voices will round out a full day of alt-rock ridiculousness. Whether you're a veteran HFStival-goer or you've only heard the epic tales of the fabled fest, this is your chance to be a part of the concert event of the year at Nationals Park on September 21.

As a Nationals Season Plan Holder, we are excited to offer you the unique opportunity to purchase tickets before they are available to the general public.

Presale Begins Today, June 11, 10:00 a.m.
Presale Ends Tomorrow, June 12, 10:00 a.m.

IMPORTANT: To purchase tickets, please click on the Nationals Season Plan Holder Access "Buy Now" button and enter the password below to access this exclusive opportunity.

40 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

lot of people complaining about the pricing 

I have checked for myself, the pricing is insane. 150 just for one person and that's before fees.

That's actually far less than the average festy ticket price kid. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thumb up 2

Oh snap that lineup looks awesome.

Postal Service was in my car's CD changers for the better part of my 20s. 

Garbage played my first HFStival in 1996.

Lit had the song of the summer in 1999.

Counterpoint: I have tickets to see Billy Joel and Sting in St. Louis that evening.

This looks like the lineup for a PBS special about marginal bands and one-hit wonders of 25+ years ago. (Donate 75 bucks and get a CD!)

This mosh pit will smell like Ben Gay

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Haha 5