Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Luke McCaffrey WR ~ RICE

zCommander

5 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Tge Extremeskins bylaws require that we all have to stake a training camp claim on a non-first round rookie as a potential breakout star.

I was gonna hop on the Jer'Zhan "He Plays Nasty" Newton bandwagon, but it's filled to overflowing abd they wouldn't let me on board.

So as of today I'm officially  staking my claim, for this year's surprise breakout rookie star of training camp, on young Lucas Jebediah  McCaffrey.

Don't let me down kid!

The cool thing for me about this draft is its difficult for me to pick one player.

McCaffrey though would be the one who I didn't dig that deep before the draft but love more and more about his chances the more I hear about him and watch his interviews.

In an interview, he comes off as polished and mature as Terry does.

Interesting to hear his coach explain that people are surprised to lean about his speed because he's a heavy foot runner -- that is, he lands hard on his feet when he runs so to the naked eye he doesn't look as fast.   Makes sense to me on reflection.   Meaning a lot of fast athletes sort of glide when they run but some don't. 

My hesitation when watching him was he didn't come off as twitchy as some of the WRs I watched but hearing his coaches explanation was interesting to me.  I am not a heavy foot runner myself when I run but I never really thought about the point until he made it. 

• Thumb up 1

Clearly raw.

However, also clearly about as focused and professional as you would get from a rookie. It’s in the blood. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In an interview, he comes off as polished and mature as Terry does.

Agree. That’s a massive sign of encouragement for me.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree. That’s a massive sign of encouragement for me.

Yeah McCaffrey and Sainstril in particular come off uber mature, articulate and driven.  Sinnott to some extent, too.

I don't want to jinx it but my early vibe about this draft class is very optimistic.  Feels good to feel this way.  Last year around this time, I started turning on Ron and trashing his off season.  But I feel really good about everything this regime did.

You can't rebuild a crap team in one off season.  But they've gone very far towards that goal.  Next off season, they clearly need to zone in on tackle, outside corner and maybe edge.  But we don't have a zillion holes IMO anymore.

And that's before launching into the coaching.  All the reports about how much energy this coaching staff brought compared to the previous one.  Quinn supposedly already working around the clock.  Peters has barely seen his family.  We've gone from Rivera who was stuck on 35 miles an hour as a GM and a coach to a 70 mile an hour staff.   This staff comes off much more hardworking and ambitious.

I know we've been burned so much that some are predisposed to be cynical.  I get it.  Years ago, I'd be giddy about all of this.  Now am cautiously optimistic.  But as much as I had a bad feeling about the last off season and how it would fliter to the season.  I feel the opposite this time.  I think this team exceeds expectations.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Magee is probably the guy who is going to blow up and be the steal of the class for us.  He would be my bet anyway.  I can't find enough cut ups to really form my own solid take on him, but what I saw of him looked fine.  A couple of reasons why I think he could be the gem:

- elite athlete

- leadership potential.  Background as QB and 2x team captain

- best mentorship opportunity given the expertise of Dan Quinn and company for developing linebackers.  Scheme should be really favorable to him.

- gonna get a year to simmer on the bench behind Jamin and Wagner

- day three linebackers hitting big is fairly common compared to other positions

My guess is that Newton is part of an elite IDL rotation with fringe Probowl pressure/sack production early in his career, Sainristil and Sinnott are solid long term starters, and Magee eventually takes over the starting weak side LBer role next to Luvu.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Magee is probably the guy who is going to blow up and be the steal of the class for us.  He would be my bet anyway.  I can't find enough cut ups to really form my own solid take on him, but what I saw of him looked fine.  A couple of reasons why I think he could be the gem:

- elite athlete

- leadership potential.  Background as QB and 2x team captain

- best mentorship opportunity given the expertise of Dan Quinn and company for developing linebackers.  Scheme should be really favorable to him.

- gonna get a year to simmer on the bench behind Jamin and Wagner

- day three linebackers hitting big is fairly common compared to other positions

My guess is that Newton is part of an elite IDL rotation with fringe Probowl pressure/sack production early in his career, Sainristil and Sinnott are solid long term starters, and Magee eventually takes over the starting weak side LBer role next to Luvu.

Agree with your take except for the last sentence. Newton has a boot on his foot. Didn't know he had surgery - apparently 5 months ago (still in the boot). That might have been a reach pick for us now. 

7 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Agree with your take except for the last sentence. Newton has a boot on his foot. Didn't know he had surgery - apparently 5 months ago (still in the boot). That might have been a reach pick for us now. 

I think he'll get healthy.  He's a special player that is cartoonishly productive when he's out there.  He could have a 60 tackle season as our third IDL.

30 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

- l

Good to hear.  I recall you were down on him from the first game you watched.  I gather you found more games to watch.

He's the only dude I haven't watched yet but will.

5 sacks and a 90 pass rushing grade from PFF among other things appeal to me.  But I don't have a take yet from watching him.

• Like 2

Just watched Luke's press conference.  Am getting up there is age where I can sadly say I've watched decades of interviews from player after player.  He's easily top 10 for me among the players we've had.    As a dude, he comes off a lot like Terry.  

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think he'll get healthy.  He's a special player that is cartoonishly productive when he's out there.  He could have a 60 tackle season as our third IDL.

Last question on Newton since I realize this is the wrong thread - do you think he actually sees the field this year? (not based on skill, based on health)

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think he can play outside in the way that TEs sometimes line up outside.  His role at Rice was like being a mini-TE.  Mainly a middle field and first level zone beater and blocker, and I assume he'll play a similar role here.  He doesn't have the vertical element in his game to be the kind of outside receiver you're thinking of, nor the ability to build up speed and separation out of downfield breaks against man coverage.  I think his release game is also fairly underdeveloped.

Agree about his release, which is what I was alluding to regarding “in time”.  I’m not sure I follow the vertical element piece though, what am I missing beyond the combo of speed/quickness (and release)?

14 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Last question on Newton since I realize this is the wrong thread - do you think he actually sees the field this year? (not based on skill, based on health)

Dude has "the next Aaron Donald" type of potential and should have easily gone top 15. If he doesn't play a snap this year, who cares.

Anyway.....

I loved this pick and was kind of a pound the table pick for me. Super hard worker, tough guy possession WR type of guy is something I've wanted for a very long time. I think he'll move up the depth chart fairly quick. Having guys like this on the field move chains consistently.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I loved this pick and was kind of a pound the table pick for me. Super hard worker, tough guy possession WR type of guy is something I've wanted for a very long time. I think he'll move up the depth chart fairly quick. Having guys like this on the field move chains consistently.

Can't take much away from interviews and/or the one Rookie minicamp, but there is something about Luke that tells me he will outperform his draft position. Maybe it's wishful thinking considering his bloodlines, but I like that he's getting early reps with Jayden. I could see there being some good chemistry there. 

One thing that's kinda interesting considering Luke isn't even that tall (6'2", I believe), he is the tallest of all our WRs except for that UDFA from UGA. Did I read somewhere where B Mitch thinks he'll end up starting this year over Crowder?

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Can't take much away from interviews and/or the one Rookie minicamp, but there is something about Luke that tells me he will outperform his draft position. Maybe it's wishful thinking considering his bloodlines, but I like that he's getting early reps with Jayden. I could see there being some good chemistry there. 

One thing that's kinda interesting considering Luke isn't even that tall (6'2", I believe), he is the tallest of all our WRs except for that UDFA from UGA. Did I read somewhere where B Mitch thinks he'll end up starting this year over Crowder?

Crowder isn't a lock to make the roster.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Crowder isn't a lock to make the roster.

He was so consistent for us towards the end of last season. I can understand how he's not a lock as a starter (which would be totally understandable) but I'd be surprised if he didn't make the roster. He's a great return man, if nothing else.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

He was so consistent for us towards the end of last season. I can understand how he's not a lock as a starter (which would be totally understandable) but I'd be surprised if he didn't make the roster. He's a great return man, if nothing else.

He's old, not great at anything and fumbles. It doesn't matter how great he tapped danced on the deck of the titanic.

There's not much ahead of him at WR and that's the most he has going for him.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

On a different roster, he's probably not making the cut. But it's tough to find 5-6 WRs that will make it over him here. You'd need some UDFAs to really standout.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2024 at 9:07 PM, skinny21 said:

Agree about his release, which is what I was alluding to regarding “in time”.  I’m not sure I follow the vertical element piece though, what am I missing beyond the combo of speed/quickness (and release)?

He barely ran any deep breaking routes at Rice.  They used him as an underneath zone and flat weapon, where the vast majority of his breaks are coming within ten yards of the line of scrimmage.  I don't think he has the speed and shiftiness and route savvy to be a vertical threat in an offense.  I've read he also struggles with beating press, but I didn't really see a lot of press coverage in his cut ups.  Mostly he was running through zones.

The concepts he ran in college were very reminiscent of the kind of role that a TE tends to run.  I guess it's similar to what Ed did back in the day.  There was a lot of slot alignment, and even looked like some h-back alignments.  A bit of wildcat QB, but not much effectiveness from that.  He doesn't have TE size, but he has TE toughness, and I could see him also developing into a very good blocker like his dad, which that plus the Sinnott pick makes me think that Kingsbury is going to run a SF style outside zone run game.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He barely ran any deep breaking routes at Rice.  They used him as an underneath zone and flat weapon, where the vast majority of his breaks are coming within ten yards of the line of scrimmage.  I don't think he has the speed and shiftiness and route savvy to be a vertical threat in an offense.  I've read he also struggles with beating press, but I didn't really see a lot of press coverage in his cut ups.  Mostly he was running through zones.

The concepts he ran in college were very reminiscent of the kind of role that a TE tends to run.  I guess it's similar to what Ed did back in the day.  There was a lot of slot alignment, and even looked like some h-back alignments.  A bit of wildcat QB, but not much effectiveness from that.  He doesn't have TE size, but he has TE toughness, and I could see him also developing into a very good blocker like his dad, which that plus the Sinnott pick makes me think that Kingsbury is going to run a SF style outside zone run game.

Appreciate the response and the insight/info you provided.

To be clear, I have no idea what to really expect from him, and I definitely buy that at this point he has a limited route tree, lacks some of the experience to sell routes, and struggles vs press.  But, and I’m not trying to be obtuse here, I don’t understand the idea that he lacks speed, shiftiness, and can’t learn the nuances of the position… or the idea that him running a certain route tree in college means he can’t expand that in the pros (not that you’re saying that last part explicitly).  

And not to belabor the point, but a 4.46 is a solid 40 time, and he posted great 3 cone and short shuttle scores.  Now his vert/broad were just good, but still, those athletic scores, combined with decent size and good hands suggest to me he could potentially fit outside.  And his intangibles - work ethic, experience at qb, lack of experience at wr, and family history - suggest he could/should improve his route running and other nuances of the position.

Put another way, (IIRC) he’s got Dyami Brown’s speed, he’s a lot quicker than Dotson, he’s bigger than both of them, arguably has better hands than both, and seems to have the edge on contested catch ability over them as well (I could be wrong on that point though?).  It’s just coaching and experience that he seems to lack.  I’ll certainly concede though that there’s no guarantee that coaching/experience elevates his game enough to warrant snaps on the outside.

Now don’t get me wrong, I see him as competing solely for a slot role this year - all signs point to that.  I just don’t see anything (besides lack of experience) that would inherently preclude him from playing outside at some point in the future.  Well, besides the depth chart.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Saw a clip of McConkey (who I wanted badly in the 2nd), and while I do think he can be a really good WR, man did he look absolutely tiny next to other NFL players. McCaffrey is definitely a ceiling pick 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 7:13 PM, bird_1972 said:

It’s the other foot, not the same one. The other one has healed. He’ll be fine, and he was a steel where we got him.

On 5/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, bird_1972 said:

That and he'll be great for our new culture including the veteran leadership he'll provide for JD and the rookie WR's. Love Crowder. 

44 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

If Luke does not make the team, it won't be for a lack of effort. That whole family are a bunch of genetic freak athletes and driven. 

Lol there is zero chance he gets cut in camp are you mental mate

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1