Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Commander20180 said:

Good Lord you're negative. This is going to be a much better team than you think.

The Over Under is 6.5. What are you expecting exactly? Btw, I'm not even being negative, I want us to be in position to continue building out the roster over two years, I don't want the team to get so good so fast that they outpace the talent they can land with good draft capital on day 1 and day 2. If we improve from 4 wins to 5, that's fine, 6 is pushing it, but I can live with it. 7 or 8 wins will make it harder to build out the roster. There's a lot of work to do. Fixing four years worth of stupidity under Ron, and a near decade's worth preceeding him takes time. It's fine. I'm actually quite hopeful long term. I think we got 3 starters and a reserve out of day 1 and day 2, that's actually a solid to good haul, if we can land one more on day 3, it's a very good one, and if the DT becomes what he seems like, and Daniels legit hits, that trumps the rest of it anyway. A QB hit transforms everything, as Houston illustrated in '23, Cincy in '20, Buffalo in '18, KC in '17 etc. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yep. Two time team captain apparently. I am building my Commanders draft board next year with all team captains. :)

That's great these draftees are all Captains, but they better be the best players and athletes too. It's starting to feel a little like Ron and his high-character guys...

I don't care if this is the "guy you want your Daughter to marry" - get me a dude with a mean streak that can ball out on the field. 

Edited by Kalu44

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why?

Why? I'm guessing you know why and are just playing devil's advocate.

That's okay, but just in case you are being sincere; I don't think most ESer's would approve, and would view it as a wasted pick, also I think it would send out the message that we might not be 100% convinced with JD.

Even if it didn't create an actual QB controversy with those involved, it would create a lot of background noise that could become a distraction.

1 minute ago, London Kev said:

Why? I'm guessing you know why and are just playing devil's advocate.

That's okay, but just in case you are being sincere; I don't think most ESer's would approve, and would view it as a wasted pick, also I think it would send out the message that we might not be 100% convinced with JD.

Even if it didn't create an actual QB controversy with those involved, it would create a lot of background noise that could become a distraction.

The reality is we have a long haul. We could make the playofs next year be an early out, and be back below .500 in 25.  I'd rather build methodically and set a foundation for long term success than mortage everything for this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

Some of you guys are hilarious. We should draft based on Mel's big board apparently. 

My favorite part of the draft is the reactions to picks that no one know enough about cause we literally don’t do this for living. It’s easy to get caught up looking at Kiper’s big board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Some of you guys are hilarious. We should draft based on Mel's big board apparently. 

Not Mel's board. MY board dammit. 

I am gonna go watch some tape on Magee. Because I didnt watch a second of him unfortunately. Athleticism and leadership appear to be what matters to Peters and Quinn. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know about this pick, but then I don't know about any of them. That's why I sit on the couch on Sundays and eat snacks in front of the TV. :D

It feels like these late round picks are always a crapshoot, so I guess GMAP figures to draft primarily for athletic ability and then hopes the coaches can take it from there.

• Like 2

For clarity, I'm not upset with the Magee pick.  I've no problem in the position, the measurables, or that he's from Temple.  I'm just shocked I didn't recall hearing his name at least once in the last year.   

If he's really good that could be some great scouting work by AP and company.

Broncos get Kris abrams Draine 😕

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Not Mel's board. MY board dammit. 

I am gonna go watch some tape on Magee. Because I didnt watch a second of him unfortunately. Athleticism and leadership appear to be what matters to Peters and Quinn. 

Reading about him, smarts too. 

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/24/jordan-magee-nfl-draft-interview

Temple linebacker Jordan Magee is among the most athletic linebacker prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft. Magee finished tied for first in the 10-yard split (1.54), third in the broad jump (10-foot-4), fourth in the vertical (35.50 inches), and fifth in the 40 (4.55) at his position. It’s safe to say NFL scouts were impressed with Magee’s performance.

Magee recently spoke exclusively with The Draft Network about his standout showing at the NFL Combine, his favorite aspects of playing the linebacker position, which teams are showing interest in his services, and so much more.

JM: What a showing you put forth at the NFL Combine. You finished tied for first among your position in the 10-yard split (1.54), third in the broad jump (10-foot-4), fourth in the vertical (35.50 inches), and fifth in the 40 (4.55). How would you grade your overall performance?

Jordan Magee: I would grade my overall performance as a “B.” I wanted to run faster even though a 4.55 was still a great time for me. I also know I could jump a higher vertical, like an inch, maybe an inch and a half to get me to 37 inches.

My broad jump was a PR [personal record] so I was satisfied with that. I’m also going to run a good shuttle time at my Pro Day (3/25).

JM: Have you noticed an uptick in attention you’re receiving since the NFL Combine?

Jordan Magee: Yeah, I most definitely am. Before the NFL Combine, some teams told me they had me going around the sixth or seventh round, or maybe an undrafted free agent. That was the word around town.

I’m hearing different things now. I’m hearing early day three, maybe the fourth round. Some teams even told me I could sneak into the late day two range. There’s definitely way more buzz around my name after my performance at the NFL Combine.

JM: You’re extremely instinctive and rangy on tape. How did you develop that aspect of your game?

Jordan Magee: I have a lot of natural athletic ability. My dad was a track star in high school. My mom also played sports, she ran track and played basketball. I inherited my athletic abilities from them.

I play with great twitch. I’m able to go out there and use those athletic abilities to my advantage.

JM: You totaled 235 tackles at Temple, 31 for a loss, and 8.0 sacks. What is it about your game that allows you to always be around the ball and in the backfield?

Jordan Magee: I play with great instincts. I love running to the ball. I’m always swarming to the ball. That’s just the type of player I am, the type of attitude I play with. Good things happen when you run to the ball. I feel like when you watch my tape, I’m always making plays around the ball.

JM: You really are. Talk to me about playing man and zone coverage. You also had 11 pass breakups at Temple. Today’s linebacker has to defend the pass.

Jordan Magee: We have to. The game we’re playing in today, NFL teams are throwing the ball more than ever before. You have to defend against quarterbacks like Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson that can extend plays with their legs.

We need to be able to cover for longer periods of time, or we have to stop those quarterbacks before they extend the pocket. Linebackers have to be prepared for all scenarios nowadays.

JM: Did you have any formal interviews at the combine? Do you have any Top 30 visits coming up?

Jordan Magee: I do. Pro Day is on March 25. I already had a Top 30 visit with the Denver Broncos. I flew in and out the same day. I had a great time with their general manager George Paton. It was a little hectic because they were also dealing with free agency.

I have another visit lined with the Dallas Cowboys coming up. I’m going to be there for a day or two. They interviewed me formally at the NFL Combine as well. I have a lot of meetings with inside linebacker coaches. I just met with the Ravens coach. 

I’m working out for the New Orleans Saints. Their linebackers coach is coming to Temple. We’re going to watch film and go to dinner together as well. I have a local day with the Philadelphia Eagles coming up as well. 

JM: There’s a lot of interest in you and it’s easy to see why. Your pre-draft stock has soared lately. I’ve appreciated your time today. What kind of impact is Jordan Magee going to make at the next level?

Jordan Magee: I’m going to be a leader from day one. I’m going to come in and be consistent every single day. I can play special teams, or I can start at linebacker on the defense. I’m going to be the same guy every day. I have a consistent approach.

I’m going to bring that Temple mentality to whichever team drafts me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, method man said:

This “Peters killed it by passing on a tackle” narrative is groupthink homer talk. Look at the organizations who picked up those tackles. Paul to the Fins, Suataiama to the Chiefs and Rosengarten to the Ravens. All dumb orgs right?

It was absolutely worth it taking one of those guys at 50 or 53. If one of those guys becomes even a Bolles level left tackle, he is not seeing FA for 10 years. It was absolutely worth taking that gamble over drafting a slot corner.  You want to go bring in a great slot corner? Go sign a guy for a $5M-$6M AAV. That is what Mike Hilton is getting paid.

For those of you arguing that the answer is Coleman, there was clearly a separation between the 3 guys I cited and Coleman

Oh I would've 100% taken one with the Sinnott pick. Pass on Sinnott, see if he lasts to 67 (I think he does, the TE run didnt really start until day 3, but maybe I end up being wrong, and Sinnott is not so special that I would've passed on OL's for him), otoh, Coleman was rated higher than Rosengarten by Brugler, if not Suamataia, and Paul, and the dude who does it for nfl.com, forgot his name, had Coleman above Rosengarten and Suamataia....

So? I don't know, maybe there's method to the madness, for two of the top guys doing this, they very much had Coleman in the same tier with either 2 of the guys you mention, or at least 1 in the other case....so? But yeah, I would've pulled the trigger with the Sinnott pick on OL, and waited on him. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pairing Jordan Magee with Frankie Luvu seems like it could be very smart. Luvu will teach Magee as will Bobby Wagner. Peters is definitely working on making this defense an attaking one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Like the picks but still not as optimistic as most. We have two starting corners who are 165 and 180lbs. Eagles are going to bully us

Darrell Green would like a word with you.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I had Sinnott and Sainristil at 58 and 59 on my own board.  Just going off that board, we pretty much got them at slot, or after a tiny reach that isn't meaningful this late in the class.

The problem for me is Kingsley Suamataia was still on the board at both picks, and I had him way higher on my personal board, and he fit a really big roster need too.  I like both Sinnott and Sainristil, but I would have sacrificed one of those two in order to get Kingsley.

The caveat is maybe there were character concerns with Kingsley we didn't know about.  It would take something more than homesickness for me to move off him, but maybe there were work ethic concerns.  If so, then I am fine with both Sinnott and Sainristil over him.  But if that's not the case and he pans out big in KC, then passing over him will haunt us unless both Sainristil and Sinnott are big time hits too.

He would have been my guy as well and I would've waited on Sinnott till the 3rd, but, judging by those other dudes Brugler and the nfl.com guy (is that jeremiah?), we took a guy from the same tier of OL's as the ones that went late 2nd, so....time will tell, plus Coleman clearly has the added value of being versatile, playing Guard in a pinch too, which at least some of those guys clearly did not, maybe we wanted the versatility since our entire OL is largely garbage beyond Center and a Guard spot and maybe Stromberg if he develops. So having versatile should be a plus, especially for playing time.