Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yeah, that's the only negative for me too.

A puzzling thing is thatcwe all thought they might trade back into the first round for an OT.

It does appear that they did indeed try to acquire mid first, but according to Keim, it was to draft a wide receiver, not a tackle.

Which leads me to think that either AP is more satisfied with our tackles than we are (possibke but doubtful) or he has another plan, beyond the draft, for the position. 

We shall see.

They liked Brian Thomas jr a lot. Wouldn't shock me if, after the Jags moved down from 17, they tried to trade up for him. Unfortunately we couldn't quite get up to 22 and Thomas went to the Jags anyway at 23(great value by them).

I do think we tried to move up for Guyton though, but the Detroit/Dallas trade kinda effed things up in that respect.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean Im pretty sure we had the most picks going into it and made a great value trade with Philly. All the picks are real good players, no head scratchers like im years past(Newton doesnt fill an immediate need but talent wise hes a 1st round caliber player). 

I loved the DT, liked the DB, I like Sinnott and think we have our TE now, but yeah I think it was early, but hey, probably our new pass catching TE, so I'll take that, Coleman is legit depth and potential starter at OT or G though the ceiling I think is average (but that's better than we have). I don't like the McCaffrey pick at all, just felt stupid, with much better talent on the board, reports from the senior bowl at least from one sight suggested he couldn't translate his athleticism later shown at the combine to the senior bowl practices where he wasn't getting separation. I hated that pick, especially with Franklin falling like a stone, and Baker still available, Jaylen Wright at RB, and some interesting OL, and Defensive fallers still there. It felt like a reach luxury pick based on name, just betting on genetic heritage and combine results, but not on the player. Hated that, especially with us not picking again for 39 picks. Just stupid. I hope I'm wrong, like with Daniels, but at least with Daniels, I get it, I just just am seriously skeptical that it is translatable long term, but with Luke, it's just the combine, and genes...I need more.

For now, my take away:

We got our starting QB, if he stays healthy and the word on his processing and hopefulness w/anticipation is on point, the p2s issue can get fixed and more, he's a stud. I hope.

We got a top 7-8 OL that should be able to develop into a starter by '25, and emergency starter in '24. 

We got a nickel corner and leader for the DB's.

We got our replacement for Allen, and a rotational DT for now.

We got a guy who should win the starting TE job by '25, and we'll make do with catch and fall slugs as he learns in '24. 

In a lot of ways this is kind of ideal because it gives us long term help that isn't going to effect the bottom line too much in '24 (I don't see Sinnott, or Newton or Coleman or McCaffrey starting, Newton and Coleman will probably see a good chunk of snaps though), and for me, it's important that this team only win 4-6 games this year, and the nice FA haul meant w/a '24 steelers level draft, we'd potentially move towards 6-8 wins, I now don't see that happening. I think we've only pulled 1 immediate starter from this draft, maybe 2 if you include the DB who will be on the field a ton as a nickel eventually. 

For now, the O/U on the win total is 6.5. The betting for now is predicting 7 wins (-130 on the over). I look at this draft, and the free agent hault. Its pretty clear we aren't fixing the OL this year (it was nigh on impossible so not a criticism, that looked like a 2 year project), we aren't fixing edge, LB is improved but not great, the secondary may be improved, Forbes can't be that bad again though losing Curl sucks. The WR group is not improved, RB is not improved, QB is. For me that's a net: meh. Not a criticism, they are plugging holes, and the draft looks like a draft a team does when its looking to '25 and '26 more than '24. Fine w/me. I see 4-6 wins still, ceiling of 7, that should slot us 3-13, I would project a middle of 5-6 wins, which is more like 5th-12th zone. I don't much about '25 other than that the QB's stink, RB's are a bit better, WR's are worse, not sure on TE, don't know the rest. Our needs next year look like OL, Edge, LB, WR, RB, maybe DB, we'll see.

I am okay with this, so far, I hated the Daniels pick, and I hated the McCaffrey pick, but felt the rest ranged from fine to good or very good. So far mostly good and if Daniels hits and stays healthy, it creates a 10x value boost period. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

A puzzling thing is that we all thought they might trade back into the first round for an OT.

It does appear that they did indeed try to acquire a mid first, but according to Keim, it was to draft a wide receiver, not a tackle.

Which leads me to think that either AP is more satisfied with our tackles than we are (possible but doubtful) or he has another plan, beyond the draft, for the position. 

We shall see.

I don’t understand this mentality. What high end OT did you guys want us to take? Was Patrick Paul a 100%, can’t miss, have to take him prospect to you? 

There weren’t any available to us and trading up would have been costly on a team that is, quite frankly, rebuilding.

I agree we need to find a way to get OT help in FA (and if we can somehow get Christian Jones he could be a day one starter for us). They need to address it. But the draft isn’t the place, really, and the OT FA market was wild.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Coleman is a LT I think.

Would love to add Christian Jones too. But not sure he lasts to our pick. 

Overall happy with our haul. Newton is definitely an interesting pick and we probably had a R1 grade on him. And reading that we could do 3 DL packages with him Allen and Payne with Luvu roaming as a rusher is fun to envision. 

Newton rushed from the outside some at I. And Allen is capable of doing it as well. Imagine the stunts we are going to see with immediate interior pressure on opposing QB's. I know some say Newton wont see much field time. I disagree completely. Quinn will get his best players on the field in the situations where they will thrive. I am a little less optimistic about our offense. But I do not doubt that this defense will take a major step forward this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Trotter Jr to me best player right now available. Wonder why he dropping

Because he wasn’t that good. I don’t think he’s dropping. I think we’re coming into the range he should have been selected. Great flashes, but the play to play left something to be desired.

• Like 2

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

A puzzling thing is thatcwe all thought they might trade back into the first round for an OT.

It does appear that they did indeed try to acquire mid first, but according to Keim, it was to draft a wide receiver, not a tackle.

Which leads me to think that either AP is more satisfied with our tackles than we are (possibke but doubtful) or he has another plan, beyond the draft, for the position. 

We shall see.

We shall. But FA has been picked over, so that part isn't a very good solution anymore. David Bakhtiari is there, but he's there for a bunch of injuries. And then it's Leno. Whom we cut.

And RT is worse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

sainstril 5’9 180.

im butthurt over giving up Cooper to the Eagles. 

Sainistril isn’t an outside corner. Why do you think he’s playing outside? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Sainistril isn’t an outside corner. Why do you think he’s playing outside? 

I don’t, I know he’s nickel. Size will be an issue as it was last year. Forbes is not a starting CB.

Trade up for Cedric Gray. Pro Comp is Patrick Queen

42 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Interesting that Peters dealt with Roseman. Also referred to them being good friends. Eagles got these left. Wonder if we swing an another trade with them using a 2025 pick….

Round 4: 120th overall (from the Pittsburgh Steelers)

Round 4: 123rd overall (from Houston Texans)

Round 4: 132nd overall (from San Francisco 49ers)

Round 5: 152nd overall (from Washington Commanders)

Round 5: 171st overall (compensatory pick)

Round 5: 172nd overall (compensatory pick)

Round 6: 210th overall (compensatory pick)

Some teams have an embarrassment of riches.  If we want to get to that point, we have to avoid trading away future draft picks for the "now".  

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I don’t, I know he’s nickel. Size will be an issue as it was last year. Forbes is not a starting CB.

Trade up for Cedric Gray. Pro Comp is Patrick Queen

I know Forbes is scary, but he’s got a full year on a NFL roster and on a NFL nutrition plan. If he added any weight and gets some better coaching he may wind up living up to the hype. Of course, he also may show to be a bust. Who knows. But let’s see what happens there. We need outside corner help, not just because of Forbes but because St Juste gets in these weird rhythms where he holds on every play and then other times he looks like a legit shut down player. 

We need an outside corner bar. But we have three slot corners now. So there’s that.

Still can’t get over allowing a perennial NFC and NFL powerhouse yet alone a Division rival move up 10 spots and grab a stud in DeJean who regardless of his being white and many of the nay sayers saying he’ll move back to safety is a very good player, in fact would have been a great draft pick for us, also the funny thing is if in any of our past drafts this was done ppl would be revolting… but the love for AP is blinding I guess, I think the jury is still out….

And the DT Newton was a huge reach with the 2nd round pick when clearly a blind man could see we had other glaring needs at other positions ….this was kinda like a weekend warrior picking a kicker in his fantasy league in round 3 with only 8 teams in it…. Huge reach 

Also McCaffrey with a 3rd round pick? he was at best a late 4th or 5th and had his name not been McCaffrey the love wouldn’t be there as it is.

So far the only moves I like is Daniels and Sinnott 

Just now, KDawg said:

I know Forbes is scary, but he’s got a full year on a NFL roster and on a NFL nutrition plan. If he added any weight and gets some better coaching he may wind up living up to the hype. Of course, he also may show to be a bust. Who knows. But let’s see what happens there. We need outside corner help, not just because of Forbes but because St Juste gets in these weird rhythms where he holds on every play and then other times he looks like a legit shut down player. 

We need an outside corner bar. But we have three slot corners now. So there’s that.

I’m with you. I’ve been pushing for Xavien Howard. team captain who could push these young guys and line up with the AJ Browns

Just now, Command The 414 said:

Still can’t get over allowing a perennial NFC and NFL powerhouse yet alone a Division rival move up 10 spots and grab a stud in DeJean who regardless of his being white and many of the nay sayers saying he’ll move back to safety is a very good player, in fact would have been a great draft pick for us, also the funny thing is if in any of our past drafts this was done ppl would be revolting… but the love for AP is blinding I guess, I think the jury is still out….

And the DT Newton was a huge reach with the 2nd round pick when clearly a blind man could see we had other glaring needs at other positions ….this was kinda like a weekend warrior picking a kicker in his fantasy league in round 3 with only 8 teams in it…. Huge reach 

Also McCaffrey with a 3rd round pick? he was at best a late 4th or 5th and had his name not been McCaffrey the love wouldn’t be there as it is.

So far the only moves I like is Daniels and Sinnott 

Wait… JZNewt was a reach? On what planet? He had absolute first round ability but fell due to the run on QBs, OTs and WRs. In most draft classes he’s a first rounder. How is taking a first round talent in the second round a reach?

Isnt that the definition of value?

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

sainstril 5’9 180.

im butthurt over giving up Cooper to the Eagles. 

"Sainristil is a former receiver who plays with surprising field awareness and attention to detail as a zone defender.

Explosive athletic traits with above-average football demeanor.

Quick to digest and respond to play design from zone" from NFL.com

Not bad for a 2 years experience at CB, he's a work in progress, he is very smart and has a high ceiling.

His size is a concern as he won't be able to play outside corner, but he's going to shine at nickel corner.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t understand this mentality. What high end OT did you guys want us to take? Was Patrick Paul a 100%, can’t miss, have to take him prospect to you? 

There weren’t any available to us and trading up would have been costly on a team that is, quite frankly, rebuilding.

I agree we need to find a way to get OT help in FA (and if we can somehow get Christian Jones he could be a day one starter for us). They need to address it. But the draft isn’t the place, really, and the OT FA market was wild.

I don’t understand this mentality. What high end OT did you guys want us to take?

I think if you reread my post you'll find that we actually are in accord. (That's my fault as I could have done a better job of explaining my position.)

Basically, my intention was to admit that even though I, and others in the forum, wanted a trade back into the first for an OT, Peters, who clearly knows more than I do (can't speak for anyone else) didn't think the available tackles were worth trading up for and instead tried to acquire a wide receiver.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why are people harping on JZNewt being a “rotational” player? DTs rotate a lot in the NFL. I know we aren’t used to that because Allen and Payne play a high % of snaps, but that’s not normal.

Kevin Sheehan and company were thinking that was a why they took him, and that's before was it Craig Hoffamn came back with the stats on  just how few games and snaps Mathis played last year.  Mathis couldn't stay on the field, which meant our Starters HAD to be on the field more than necessary, which contributed to fatigue.  Whether he's #3 and Future Replacement for Payne or Allen, Phenomenal pick, and I gotta think he's going to make Dallas Scary.  Watch him end Dack's Dallas Career.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

A puzzling thing is that we all thought they might trade back into the first round for an OT.

It does appear that they did indeed try to acquire a mid first, but according to Keim, it was to draft a wide receiver, not a tackle.

Which leads me to infer that either AP is more satisfied with our tackles than we are (possible but doubtful) or he has another plan, beyond the draft, for the position. 

We shall see.

Peter’s appears to be playing the long game - stock piling guys with high upside without reaching on tackles simply because it’s a need.  This will be a multi year process given the poor state the roster was in when Peters got here.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I don’t understand this mentality. What high end OT did you guys want us to take?

I think if you reread my post you'll find that we actually are in accord. (I could have done a better job of explaining my position.)

Basically, my intention was to admit that even though I, and others in the forum, wanted a trade back into the first for an OT, Peters, who clearly knows more than I do (can't speak for anyone else) didn't think the available tackles were worth trading up for and instead tried to acquire a wide receiver.

Please don’t caveat that Peter’s knows more than you. You are entitled to an opinion. You may be called to defend the opinion, but you don’t have to be Adam Peters to have an opinion.

And, quite frankly, the blind trust in ANY regime to never make a single mistake is actually hurtful to the mission.

Peters is going to **** up. Every human in a GM role does. That does NOT mean he isn’t and won’t be doing an excellent job. 

This team, at least on paper, is very much improved. I think he’s doing great.

But I do question some of the decisions he made… and guess what? That’s okay.

Let’s get away from the “Peters knows best!” Stuff. That sets expectations so high that the guy could literally turn us around but then make one mistake and a portion of this fanbase will turn.

RE: OT - yes. I think we are aligned. The draft just didn’t fall that way. But Christian Jones is still there and I like him. Maybe he’s a candidate.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, FrFan said:

"Sainristil is a former receiver who plays with surprising field awareness and attention to detail as a zone defender.

Explosive athletic traits with above-average football demeanor.

Quick to digest and respond to play design from zone" from NFL.com

Not bad for a 2 years experience at CB, he's a work in progress, he is very smart and has a high ceiling.

His size is a concern as he won't be able to play outside corner, but he's going to shine at nickel corner.

Wicked!

For his size my man hits like prime Pat Fisher (the timers know who I'm talking about).

XXXXXXXX

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Please don’t caveat that Peter’s knows more than you. You are entitled to an opinion. You may be called to defend the opinion, but you don’t have to be Adam Peters to have an opinion.

And, quite frankly, the blind trust in ANY regime to never make a single mistake is actually hurtful to the mission.

Peters is going to **** up. Every human in a GM role does. That does NOT mean he isn’t and won’t be doing an excellent job. 

This team, at least on paper, is very much improved. I think he’s doing great.

But I do question some of the decisions he made… and guess what? That’s okay.

Let’s get away from the “Peters knows best!” Stuff. That sets expectations so high that the guy could literally turn us around but then make one mistake and a portion of this fanbase will turn.

RE: OT - yes. I think we are aligned. The draft just didn’t fall that way. But Christian Jones is still there and I like him. Maybe he’s a candidate.

Trust me-- Peters knows much more than I do when it comes to college players, and if he doesn't we are in serious trouble.

I never even heard of 90% of these guys we drafted until after we drafted them.  lol

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1