Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OJ Simpson dead at 76

ixcuincle

I’ve been having trouble sleeping, and I’ve been staying up late watching Dateline. They had a case where Robert Shapiro was the defense attorney - his last case. They kept referring back to the OJ trial.

I remember years ago when the FX show came out and explaining the chase and trial with coworkers who were too young to remember.

My 11th grade chemistry class was interrupted for the verdict.

11 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I was in Spanish class.  My Spanish teacher was in her late 20s, she was super cool.  

Head of the school is storming around the school telling teachers not to turn it on, etc.  She stuck her head in the door, told her not to turn the tv on, then went storming down the hall to tell others not to turn it on.

Spanish teacher rolled her eyes, turned on the tv.  

Couldn't believe that verdict.  

**** off, OJ.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I dropped out of chemistry class the first day. Teacher was all "you'll have to memorize the periodic table". I asked if I could go see my counselor. So I was in etymology class instead. 🤣

Mr Parker let us listen to the verdict on the radio. Great guy,  helluva teacher. 👍 

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Like 1

Reading his obit in the Washington Post, I didn't remember that Nicole Simpson had called the police multiple times in the years before the murders because of Simpson's violent assaults on her.

Simpson met her when she was an 18-year-old waitress right out of high school and moved in with her the next year while still married to his first wife.

O.J. Simpson, football great whose trial for murder became a phenomenon, dies at 76 - The Washington Post

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Also didn't know he had cancer.

I wonder what his final couple of days were like and if anyone tried to get him to confess. I mean, I can't recall a case where someone was so clearly guilty but got off because of technical errors and perceived discrimination/bias by the police. I don't remember all the facts of the case, but I remember his legal team did a great job throwing doubt at the LAPD, particularly that Mark Fuhrman guy. That's essentially how he got off.

The way story was told to me (as I was too young when it happened to get it) was everyone knew he was guilty...

The question was whether he was going to be the first black man clearly guilty and got off Scott free in our criminal justice system.

White people be beating the system all the time, why this first was bittersweet and not just another failure.

As I got older and saw him go to jail for something else kinda realized how much an asshole he really was.  But that moment was still an assbackwards leap forward in equality where finally if you have the resources you can beat the system, too, no matter what color you are.

I'm pretty sure his wife's family doesn't want to hear that ****, I know I wouldn't.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Also didn't know he had cancer.

I wonder what his final couple of days were like and if anyone tried to get him to confess. I mean, I can't recall a case where someone was so clearly guilty but got off because of technical errors and perceived discrimination/bias by the police. I don't remember all the facts of the case, but I remember his legal team did a great job throwing doubt at the LAPD, particularly that Mark Fuhrman guy. That's essentially how he got off.

Also, the prosecution team was hitting it like rabbits and the judge became completely starstruck/captured by his own fame.

A veritable perfect storm of SoCal bull****.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

There's a conspiracy theory floating around that his son did it.  That the son had some violent episodes when he was younger, that he was also into knives and stuff, I think there was something about threatening a boss with a knife.   

But I doubt it.

Anyway, I remember my family took a vacation to SC.  One night on the way back from dinner out in Charleston, I fell asleep in the back of the car we'd rented, but woke up to hear on the radio that OJ Simpson's wife was found murdered.  

Later that week, watching the Knicks/Rockets play in the finals, they interrupted the game for the Bronco chase.  That whole week was so wild.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1