Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

At least it’s not as bad as baseball, ohtani pushed his first paycheck all the way back to the end of the deal. 

What I don’t like is that teams are allowed to push the money into void years that are not even part of the contract per se, but when we try to push it forward during an active part of a contract we get penalized.

For the teams with young QBs that are truly superstars that they know will want to keep, this does give them a competitive advantage. Most teams don’t have the qb that would make a major void year deal viable, which makes it unfair. It’s not like the Patrick Mahomes and Jalen Hurtz’s of the world grow on trees. It puts the teams with aging QBs, and or bad QBs at a disadvantage, especially with the cap continuously rising. It’s an unfair way to keep talent around superstar QBs in a league that’s supposed to value parody. 

You can do this with any player. Having the young stud QB is the advantage, not what you can do with the cap and contracts. You’re just wrong imo.

And you need to let go of the salary cap penalty from 12 years ago, when only 3 of the most arrogant owners pushed back on the rest of the league’s planned collusion and got punished for it in a year with no salary cap rules. Maybe it was unfair, but it doesn’t matter. It has nothing to do with this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Tho I think he had a serious injury.

Tore his ACL. Not expected to be ready for the start of the 2024 season per Adam Achwfter on Twitter. (Dont know how to post tweets)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Cards are taking a tackle at 27.  I know everyone wants OL, but it probably won’t be BPA with our 2nd rounders.  Everyone will be gone

9 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Is coach Kliff pounding the table. 

Tore ACL at end of season, may not play at all in 2024.

Edit: Pro-Bowl caliber when healthy, wonder if our cap situation would allow a 2-year deal that really is looking to 2025 as a prove-you're-the-same-guy year so he can hit FA again, stash him on IR for 2024.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Does Fuller want to stay and be part of this? Would be nice to have him and sign another vet corner. 

Unfortunately I think fuller is at that stage of his career where he wants what’s best for fuller, but I think he could sign something short term here and bank off that if things go well.

5 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Wow what a time to be a fan of this organization after the last 3 decades.  All these signings the past few days and to think we have all those extra picks in the draft.  The fun is only beginning!!!! 

If I recall correctly, we used to always win (in our minds) the FA offseason in the early Synder days. I'm not trying to dull the excitement, but it's about how we perform during the season.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFanRob said:

So don’t get me wrong I’m loving these signings. But what’s the deal with signing the older guys on 1 year deals when we are most likely several years from competing. Unless they are hoping we pull a Texans 

The deal is that the best way to develop a young QB and build a good culture is to be competitive, and these veterans can help us do that without compromising future cap space. You can keep doing this as long as you need over the next year or three without getting into an unhealthy cap situation that prevents you from going all-in with your roster when it’s ready, in the future. While you compete with these guys, you build a young core via draft picks that keeps growing every year as you continually shed the short term veteran contracts in favor of long term re-signings of your own developed players, eventually.

Basically it lets you win games and actually walk the walk of your new culture  while you backfill talented young players through the draft into that culture. Instead of just stinking for 2-3 more years as a super young team, or conversely becoming over-committed to expensive veterans and ruining your future cap. 

It’s smart imo and carries no risk—but everything I said above is only true (imo) because we’re drafting a franchise QB at #2 overall. You wouldn’t want to do this if you didn’t have the QB you want to develop, because it would prevent you from bottoming out—but we’ve already successfully completed the “tank for QB” (or at least “acquire potential franchise QB”) part of any successful rebuild so we get to skip it and jump right from “rebuild” to “retool”. We’re incredibly fortunate for that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sebestian said:

I’m torn between really wanting J Simmons and re signing K Curl. 

NGL, JS would be unreal, really like his game for a long time. 

Curl would be much cheaper, but Simmons would be an improvement… 

Im torn too. I like the idea of re-signing our own, but this overhaul might not include Kam…

13 minutes ago, Conn said:

And you need to let go of the salary cap penalty from 12 years ago

Abso-****ing-lutely not.

May the Giants have Daniels Jones as their QB for a hundred years for the nonsense they pulled those 2 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 FA & Trades - OUT: L. Thomas, Leno, Gibson, Brissett, S. Charles IN: TE Ertz, DE Armstrong, C Biadasz, LB Luvu, RB Ekeler, K McManus, LG Allegretti, DE Ferrell, QB Mariota, DE Fowler Jr., LS Ott, S Chinn, LB Wagner BACK: Reaves, Crowder
19 minutes ago, Conn said:

You can do this with any player. Having the young stud QB is the advantage, not what you can do with the cap and contracts. You’re just wrong imo.

And you need to let go of the salary cap penalty from 12 years ago, when only 3 of the most arrogant owners pushed back on the rest of the league’s planned collusion and got punished for it in a year with no salary cap rules. Maybe it was unfair, but it doesn’t matter. It has nothing to do with this. 

I know you can do it with any player, but the fact of the matter is that it helps extend the window of these teams that have superstar QBs. It really doesn’t help anyone else. Nobody is going to push any players money deep into voided years if said team doesn’t have a great young qb. Once these QBs get paid the big bucks it should be harder to put the talent around them, that is what a salary cap is for. What’s the point of having a hard cap if you aren’t held to that cap.

How would it help a team that doesn’t have a superstar qb that’s under the age of let’s say 32? It won’t. What it does do is lower the level of parody, that this league is supposedly designed for above all others. 

If it was so beneficial for all teams and not just the ones with great QBs that need the extra cap space, the other teams would’ve been doing it. It’s a copycat league. That and the other FOs are not just a bunch of idiots that don’t know the ins and outs of what they can and can’t do, cap wise to help the team, other than a Ron Rivera FO.

Edited by mac8887

Just now, Lovi said:

Depending on Humphries age we may be able to get him cheap and redshirt him. I don’t know his age though

He's 30.

He's an intriguing option though.  Kling will be intimately familiar with his game though, first time he started 16 games was 2019, Kling's first year, and started 56 games in the 4 years he was there (looks like he got injured in 22 and only played 8 games).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, illone said:

Curl would be much cheaper, but Simmons would be an improvement… 

Im torn too. I like the idea of re-signing our own, but this overhaul might not include Kam…

I guess the thing that sticks with me about Curl, is that Quinn/Whitt have said they want a defense that will turn the ball over. Curl has gone 44 straight games without an INT.

Simmons has 14 INT over his last 44 games, and 3+ in each of the last 6 years.

Curl still a solid football player, seems like a good guy, just not sure he fits the current profile they want.

Edit: Curl is still only 25, though, versus Simmons at 30, have to think that's a plus for Curl given our FA signings so far.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Or we could trade back with minnesota for #11 and jefferson, then grab mccarthy

Minny would never make that trade. But IF we were actually contemplating going WR I would much prefer to trade back a spot with NE and pick Marvin Harrison at 3 after adding some more draft capital. Then trade back up for McCarthy if thats the way they want to go. 

14 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

He’s 30, but for all I know he may suck

2021 Pro-Bowler, actually graded better the next year but missed half of 2022 due to back injury, then solid-ish in 2023 before ACL tear end of year. He's good, just wonder how much money he'd want to not play in 2024.

Edited by Dah-Dee