Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Depth signing but probably means Stromberg doesn't have much future here. 

hope it says more about Chris Paul and maybe Braedon Daniels

Stromberg was not supposed to be a project or a reach, just dumping him feels like such a waste

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Depth signing but probably means Stromberg doesn't have much future here. 

depth signing maybe, means nothing about Stomberg....competition in camp is good. Stromberg will have his chance to step up and declare his spot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

I think that may be the case. Chris Paul wasn't any better than Saahdiq Charles, and they let him go. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrJL said:

Stromberg was not supposed to be a project or a reach, just dumping him feels like such a waste

Stromberg was a project and a bit of a reach. There was about a 25/30 players drafted between Stromberg and the previous OL. He was a 3rd tier player drafted day two. Sure, end of the day, but still. He was never a starter.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stromberg was a project and a bit of a reach. There was about a 25/30 players drafted between Stromberg and the previous OL. He was a 3rd tier player drafted day two. Sure, end of the day, but still. He was never a starter.

You mean for us right? He won the award as the SECs top lineman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

You mean for us right? He won the award as the SECs top lineman

I mean for any and every team. He was never a starter as a prospect, regardless of being a board favorite. Heck, the guy who replaced him, Beaux Limmer is a much better prospect and still a day 3 pick and might be a day one starter.

10 hours ago, MrJL said:

Looking at some of the current depth charts, they are showing Daniels as the starting LT with Lucas the backup...for whatever it may be worth. 

Strom, Daniels, Brooks, Paul, Scott will all be battling with the new recruits

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I mean for any and every team. He was never a starter as a prospect, regardless of being a board favorite. Heck, the guy who replaced him, Beaux Limmer is a much better prospect and still a day 3 pick and might be a day one starter.

The dude spent his entire college career at a starter including 11 games as a freshman .

The guy he replaced is an NFL starter and he was compared to him

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrJL said:

The dude spent his entire college career at a starter including 11 games as a freshman .

The guy he replaced is an NFL starter and he was compared to him

Okay. So, being compared to players means they're starters? I also didn't realize being a starter for the Arkansas OL was such a huge endorsement. I wonder why he was passed over by all the teams in need of a starting center. Hell, he couldn't even start on our line.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Okay. So, being compared to players means they're starters? I also didn't realize being a starter for the Arkansas OL was such a huge endorsement. I wonder why he was passed over by all the teams in need of a starting center. Hell, he couldn't even start on our line.

You may have felt this way at the time and have been proven right so far but a lot of this is revisionist history.  He was after all the SEC OL Of The Year and that can't be ignored.  That's hard to do playing for a program like Arkansas so his play must have stood out.  I clearly remember (for what they are worth) several draft sites saying he was a solid center prospect.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You may have felt this way at the time and have been proven right so far but a lot of this is revisionist history.  He was after all the SEC OL Of The Year and that can't be ignored.  That's hard to do playing for a program like Arkansas so his play must have stood out.  I clearly remember (for what they are worth) several draft sites saying he was a solid center prospect.

He is a solid prospect and most likely will be a starter eventually. He just wasn't last year and now it appears that he's still injured.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ultimately, like a lot of Ron’s picks, the though process here was broken. He was never going to truly get the chance to compete for the starting job year 1 with a young QB in Howell. Center is not a position you take a guy Day 2 to have him sit for a year. The position lacks that type of value. I feel bad from Stromberg that he got hurt because he would have had a shot to show what he has after Larsen went down

• Like 3

The new kickoff rule explains why we got rid of Slye. His value in just booming it out of the end zone is worthless now that the objective is to kick it within the 10-20.

I am interested to see if there are more legit strategies now to KR, but I think early on it'll be a disaster with countless flags because of guys lining up wrong, moving early etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not sure where else to put this, but how much does the new Kickoff rules change people's roster designs?

They overhauled the kickoff and the change seems pretty drastic.

image.thumb.png.1cb8319db86311da8aa8f0575c257b90.png

I originally put this post in another thread, but it seems that it's being discussed here.

XXXXXXX

According to Sirious NFL radio the NFL owners stayed up late last night (aka hit the sauce pretty hard) and while they were feeling no pain and in a jovial mood evil Mara saw his opportunity and rushed through a quick vote on the new kickoff rules.

Unconfirmed reports suggest a few owners were drooling and semi-comatose and had to have others lift their hands to register affirmative on the vote. 😃

In any event it's a done deal for next season.

Based on the theory that a picture is worth 1,000 words and a video at 24 frames/sec is worth two dozen pictures.

Here's a few very short videos of what the new kickoffs will be like...

Since we were planning for this with some of our cheaper free agent pickups and our ST coach is one of the top rugby tackling technicians in the game we should potentially see a significant early  advantage on teams for a change next year.

XXXXXX

EDIT:

I'm curious what the forum thinks about the new rule.

Thumbs up if you like it and thumbs down if you don't. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 4

10 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I'm curious what the forum thinks about the new rule.

Thumbs up if you like it and thumbs down if you don't. 

When I first heard about the rule, I didn't like it but I'm coming around to it now. 

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The new kickoff rule explains why we got rid of Slye. His value in just booming it out of the end zone is worthless now that the objective is to kick it within the 10-20.

I am interested to see if there are more legit strategies now to KR, but I think early on it'll be a disaster with countless flags because of guys lining up wrong, moving early etc.

"...I think early on it'll be a disaster with countless flags because of guys lining up wrong, moving early etc..."

I think overall their will be some early chaos as many teams will not fully understand or be prepared for the New rules.

However, sharp teams, who are on the forefront, always looking for an edge, will spend mini-camp and training camp preparing like a pack of ravenous wolves to feast on a host of unwary victims hopelessly lost in the wilderness.

For once I can honestly put our team firmly in the pack of wolves category.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, method man said:

Ultimately, like a lot of Ron’s picks, the though process here was broken

So true.

Ron was a really good salt of the earth guy, but he lacked the charisma, insight, strategic thought, drive, and ruthlessness, it takes to be a great head coach.

Darwinism would have weeded him out after his first few years in Carolina, if it weren't  for two things--

1. He hired a great initial staff, the best of which eventually shuffled off to Buffalo.

2. He hit the jackpot drafting (and unfortunately failing to properly develop) Cam Newton.

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"...I think early on it'll be a disaster with countless flags because of guys lining up wrong, moving early etc..."

I think overall their will be some early chaos as many teams will not fully understand or be prepared for the New rules.

However, sharp teams, who are on the forefront, always looking for an edge, will spend mini-camp and training camp preparing like a pack of ravenous wolves to feast on a host of unwary victims hopelessly lost in the wilderness.

For once I can honestly put our team firmly in the pack of wolves category.

I think we could be. The ST coach we hired from Seattle is one of the best and we made quite a few ST players signings(including bringing back Reeves).

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, RVAskins said:

When I first heard about the rule, I didn't like it but I'm coming around to it now. 

Just watching that video, my first impression is that I like it.  So many kickoffs were touchbacks.  Boring. Now we will get more returns, which is exciting. 

• Like 3