Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I honestly expect us to double-tap OT in the draft. Grab the best OT at #36 and then get someone that falls in R3 ... or someone like Rosengarten. 

Both do not and will not start out of the gate but in theory you've got your future LT and RT to build around if those picks hit. If not, come back to OT next off-season, but at least you've got a Swing Tackle and starter at either LT or RT out of this draft.

I think we can expect a stopgap signing at LT but just not sure who is out there (or who could become available). We've got plenty of cap space so I think we're well positioned to make a move ala Leno a few years ago.

Still a lot of time and money. Draft, FA 2nd wave, etc. I can imagine all sorts of scenarios in the next month or so.

9 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Micky 

Oh yeah. My avatar, I thought you meant we still had sigs at the bottom of our posts and I started worrying that I had some dumb **** written there or a Mod was ****ing with me.  :ols:

• Haha 4

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Still a lot of time and money. Draft, FA 2nd wave, etc. I can imagine all sorts of scenarios in the next month or so.

Yep, I can't see us going into the draft with Daniels and Wylie as our only tackles. 

Reason I said roll-over $20m is because we should be sitting at around $50m now (which includes our draft pool). Usually you want around $8-10m to carry into the season. Even last year I think we took about $14m in and rolled over $8m (so only spent $6m in-season). It is REALLY hard for me to see us committing another $30m in 2024 salary even if we tried. So I think $20m is pretty conservative.

I think we carry $20+ over to next year even if we make a splashy signing or two in the interim. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Conn said:

He just recently had a serious hip surgery and may not play this season (or ever again). Big cap number to gamble on that

They could also re-sign him at any point if he wanted to play.   

His wife, however, in a pretty funny and very down-to-earth instagram post kindof announced his retirement.  

"BREAKING NEWS: Charles Leno Jr has officially accepted a new role as a stay at home dad. Nurse Jen activated. Thanks for everything Washington! Y’all have embraced our family with open arms these past 3 years through some super difficult times & we will forever love y'all!" 

I think he's retired, and I think he's fine with that. He had to have hip surgery, so who knows if/when he could play again.  They also went through a family tragedy during the season, and I wouldn't be surprised if Charles just wanted to stay home with his family for a while.  I would.  

13 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I wonder if there is a trade candidate out there that they would be comfortable paying big money to long term.  Then RT in draft somewhere?

I doubt they want to trade one of their 2nd or 3rd round picks for a player when they have the possibility of picking a player with them or packaging them to move up to grab a player at a need position in a higher tier.  

Build through the draft, they said.

TRADE YOUR PICKS! we say. 

NO! They said.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I had to check out your bio due to "over here" comment. Had never put 2 and 2 together that FR was in reference to France. lol

Even knowing it stands for France, for some reason I always read it as Friar Fran, lol.

I have to wonder if Lucas (or any other 3rd tackle type) is on hold until they see 1) if they can add a starter level LT and 2) what the draft brings.  Heck, they may even wanna see what they have in Wylie, Scott and Daniels at the first round of OTAs before looking at adding depth.

I’m betting we land a starting caliber corner sooner than later, probably on a 1 year deal.  Counting on our current guys or the draft doesn’t fit the staff’s MO to this point IMO.

We’re almost guaranteed to draft a receiver I believe, but I’d guess they’d wanna raise the floor of the receiving group - ie not rely on Dotson making big strides or a rookie contributing heavily… not to mention this group looks pretty dang lackluster if Terry were to miss time.  Probably a 1 year deal again.  Maybe someone like Beckham or Gallup?  A guy you can trust to start on the outside (Dotson or Crowder can man the slot), but that won’t affect future cap space?  I didn’t mention Dyami, but… I’m not sure there’s a reason to, lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep, I can't see us going into the draft with Daniels and Wylie as our only tackles. 

Reason I said roll-over $20m is because we should be sitting at around $50m now (which includes our draft pool). Usually you want around $8-10m to carry into the season. Even last year I think we took about $14m in and rolled over $8m (so only spent $6m in-season). It is REALLY hard for me to see us committing another $30m in 2024 salary even if we tried. So I think $20m is pretty conservative.

I think we carry $20+ over to next year even if we make a splashy signing or two in the interim. 

I haven't looked, but I know there is both a cap/spending floor and also some type of limit on how much you can roll over.  I have no idea what these are and don't have the time to research, but I'm sure Peters knows.  I wouldn't be surprised if both of those numbers are playing significantly into the strategy: spend only what we have to and roll over as much as we can to next year.  

They can't fix everything in one year.  Keeping cap flexibility and ability to spend with a young team as they are building it is a HUGE advantage and accelerates roster construction.

Flip side, eventually you should spend the money to "go for it."  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m betting we land a starting caliber corner sooner than later, probably on a 1 year deal.

They really need to...imo this spot is just as desperate a need as LT, since all we have at CB are Little-Man and Grabby.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Wylie's cap hit for '24 is $7.8 mil and '25 goes down to ~$2.7.  2025 is the time to let him go. 

We're riding another year with him at R-tackle.

I agree he will be on the team this year. Not necessarily as a starter though. If a starting RT falls to you in the draft you pick him and use WIley as your backup or Swing guy. He has Guard experience as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

Quick read on Davis is he was a beast in 22 but regressed quite a bit in 23. He is already 29.

And NFL players keep lasting longer.

Yeah a 29 year old CB is scary. CBs actually decline really early, but on the flip side you occasionally get older guys who have big bounce back years(Patrick Peterson had one recently IIRC).

8 minutes ago, sebestian said:

With the money the team had, would it have not been a good idea to keep K. Fuller…seemed like a reasonable contract.

Maybe he's not a scheme fit or he didn't wanna come back. He signed with Miami so he probably wants a chance at a ring. And of course, who doesn't wanna live in South Beach...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

They really need to...imo this spot is just as desperate a need as LT, since all we have at CB are Little-Man and Grabby.

Personally, I have it a tick behind LT due to playing a rookie QB and the importance of offense in general, but yeah, I think it’s a huge need and I’m almost certain they’ll address it - with a vet and likely a rook as well.  While they could wait on it (until after the draft or even later), I think they’ll wanna get a guy in early to start the process of getting comfortable within the scheme.  Probably helpful to have a vet that can help St Juste and Forbes as well.

As for a FA grade, I’m putting a lot of weight on the combo of 1) longer term deals for guys that are in their prime, 2) short term deals on solid stop gaps (responsible spending with an eye toward the future and building through the draft), 3) finally addressing the linebacker corp, 4) living up to their stated goal of strengthening the middle of the field, 5) setting themselves up for the draft, and 6) swinging bringing in Wagner.  Really it’s too early to give them a grade just yet because I’m certain they aren’t done, but process-wise, it’s an easy A for me to this point.  

I also can’t bring myself to ding them for tackle not being “solved” via FA.  Obviously this is all a work in progress, but as of now, they’ve improved most positions, some in a smaller way like DT (Obada) and WR (Crowder), some in a decent/promising way (Ekeler and Chinn), and some massively (DE, linebacker).  IOL and ST are looking pretty good as well.  We’re on the right track for sure, let’s see how it plays out (it being FA, the draft, and how the team/schemes/staff come together).

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

CB is one of the more random positions when you get outside the elite players. Lots of bounce back years for vets that were on the down trend, lots of disappointing years for established good players. You can succeed at CB taking on reclamation projects, you just don’t want your whole group to be that type. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure the current plan is Wylie at RT, but I'm not convinced that he makes it to the final 53, although I'm sure he'll play better, because our OCs are morons this year.

If our OCs are morons this year then what was EB?

Saw Joey Slye signed with Jags, so essentially we traded kickers with them. Feeling like maybe Jacksonville got better end of that deal, not sure why we didn't keep Slye at 5 years younger, stronger leg, better FG% - notwithstanding moderate issues on extra points, he looks like the better kicker.

2 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Saw Joey Slye signed with Jags, so essentially we traded kickers with them. Feeling like maybe Jacksonville got better end of that deal, not sure why we didn't keep Slye at 5 years younger, stronger leg, better FG% - notwithstanding moderate issues on extra points, he looks like the better kicker.

You have to dig down into the numbers. Within 50 yards McManus was better. He doesn’t miss gimmes or anything out to deep 40’s. McManus attempts a lot of 50+ yarders and his overall FG% was hurt by being 5/10 on them. But he’s also had years where he does better beyond 50 than he did last year. 

• Like 5