Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

The point wasn't to use FA to go for big swing blue chip elite players. Guys like that aren't really available in FA anyway. The goal was to fill out the roster so we can at least be competitive, and especially to find some vets on the offense that can support a rookie QB.

We're gonna build the core of our team, the real blue chip cornerstones, via the draft.

• Like 11
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

The 5 games he did play last year he started in them so more than likely we'll see him start this upcoming season if he got that shoulder healed up.

Indeed.  I just wonder about the sample size of his film… if they went back to 2022, they might have a better feel for him.  Of course, they have analytics (to some extent) and our pro scouts are still on board.

29 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I agree on the injury thing too. I want to keep Howell and they added another Vet, good. So if the rookie is not ready and Howell had a bad 2nd half. does that not give you depth at QB to make a start if needed? We need 3 QBs we got lucky last year not the years before.  This was a response to the rookie has to start. Not if you have a couple Vets on the bench and you are not ready.  

I dont think a rookie HAS to start. But history shows us that its very very likely that if we take a QB #2 overall he will start.

• Thumb up 1

Seems likely Bosa or Mack will be a cap casualty . Despite Fowler JR and Ferrel I would be interested in Bosa . After that we don’t have to worry about any defense ends in the draft, honestly would give us the most solid group of depth at DE if we did that .

Shaka toney still around to who’s speedy of the edge .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

That is a bullcrap post from yesterday. Some people on X think it's humorous to post lies evidently.

Partly why I binned my Twitter account!

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I mean if they are cutting Mahomes I hope we are in in that :)

They would need to trade for him first ...

• Like 3

After our free agent signings ESPN Insider has us ranked as the 3rd most improved team  just behind Houston and Jacksonville.

2024 NFL free agency: Ranking most improved teams of offseason

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

3. Washington Commanders

Key additions: LB Frankie Luvu, C Tyler Biadasz, RB Austin Ekeler, EDGE Dorance Armstrong, G Nick Allegretti, TE Zach Ertz, EDGE Clelin Ferrell, S Jeremy Chinn, K Brandon McManus, EDGE Dante Fowler Jr., QB Marcus Mariota

The Commanders will have a new look this season, with coach Dan Quinn leading the defense and Kliff Kingsbury managing the offense.

The front office wasted no time shaking up the roster, with Luvu and Biadasz as the most impactful additions.

Luvu, once a situational linebacker/edge rusher for the Jets, emerged as a terrific every-down off-ball linebacker in Carolina over the past two seasons. He'll step into a similar role next to Jamin Davis in Washington.

Armstrong, Ferrell and Fowler might immediately be the best three edge rushers on the roster. (Quinn coached two of the three in Dallas.)

Chinn adds depth and versatility at safety, corner and linebacker.

These are big upgrades for a defense that ranked last in EPA following the trades of Chase Young and Montez Sweat in October.

Quinn brought standout center Biadasz with him from the Cowboys, and Allegretti will immediately compete for work at guard.

Ekeler is entering his age-29 season, but he's a terrific pass-catching complement to big back Brian Robinson Jr. and could push for 200 touches.

Ertz replaces Logan Thomas at tight end, and Washington might not be done at the position.

Plus, with the Commanders likely to use the No. 2 pick of April's draft on a quarterback, Mariota's arrival might send Sam Howell to the trade block.

The other rankings can be found here...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39716714/2024-nfl-free-agency-offseason-ranking-most-improved-teams-contracts-best-moves

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The point wasn't to use FA to go for big swing blue chip elite players. Guys like that aren't really available in FA anyway. The goal was to fill out the roster so we can at least be competitive, and especially to find some vets on the offense that can support a rookie QB.

We're gonna build the core of our team, the real blue chip cornerstones, via the draft.

Hunter is a cornerstone. We’re paying three rotational guys the same price as a blue chip player. I’ll always disagree with this tactic. Gamewreckers take teams to a higher level, depth does not. 

sure, I trust peters to draft well. But point is for $25m we could have landed one but we used the funds to get jags.

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Hunter is a cornerstone. We’re paying three rotational guys the same price as a blue chip player. I’ll always disagree with this tactic. Gamewreckers take teams to a higher level, depth does not. 

sure, I trust peters to draft well. But point is for $25m we could have landed one but we used the funds to get jags.

We tried to sign Hunter, but he chose to go elsewhere. Supposedly we were the high bidder too.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I agree with you that about blue chippers vs rotational guys, but at this stage in our team building we're not in a position to spend that much on one guy. Its better to spread it around and hope we can draft and develop our own studs.

Hunter's impact won't be quite as high if we have to start someone like Casey Toohill on the opposite side of him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You are assuming Hunter would have come here at $25M AAV. He took that deal because he gets to go home to Houston and it is with a better team

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

I hear you, but the timing isn't there yet.  We're in a rebuild (recalibrate-same thing) so there's no need to spend top of the market money on any one player.  You wait until you see where you are after this season and most likely year 3.  Then you add blue-chip free agents to supplement.  I'd assume we're looking to draft blue chippers, teach the new scheme, create a culture, then swing for the fences. 

We're nowhere close for that yet.  Plus, why would a blue-chip FA choose to come here now?  They'd likely be looking for a team ascending, with playoff vibes.  A Danielle Hunter type wouldn't necessarily have Washington at the top of his list, even though we're under new management. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kalu44 said:

We tried to sign Hunter, but he chose to go elsewhere. Supposedly we were the high bidder too.

Oh really? This is good to know. I try to stay on top of things but work gets in the way.

If my guy mr. @Kalu44 is correct that we went hard after hunter then it seems Peters would agree with my stance… **** it, I didn’t mean to turn this into a pissing match. We’re signing guys, improving the roster, cheers to that.

Edited by CTskin
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

If my guys mr. @Kalu44 is correct that we went hard after hunter then it seems Peters would agree with my stance… **** it, I didn’t mean to turn this into a pissing match. We’re signing guys, improving the roster, cheers to that.

I get the rationale for not going after Hunter, but if Peters made a play for him, I don't hate that either. He is a heck of a player. I just like maintaining long term cap flexibility.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

After our free agent signings ESPN Insider has us ranked as the 3rd most improved team  just behind Houston and Jacksonville.

2024 NFL free agency: Ranking most improved teams of offseason

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

3. Washington Commanders

Key additions: LB Frankie Luvu, C Tyler Biadasz, RB Austin Ekeler, EDGE Dorance Armstrong, G Nick Allegretti, TE Zach Ertz, EDGE Clelin Ferrell, S Jeremy Chinn, K Brandon McManus, EDGE Dante Fowler Jr., QB Marcus Mariota

The Commanders will have a new look this season, with coach Dan Quinn leading the defense and Kliff Kingsbury managing the offense.

The front office wasted no time shaking up the roster, with Luvu and Biadasz as the most impactful additions.

Luvu, once a situational linebacker/edge rusher for the Jets, emerged as a terrific every-down off-ball linebacker in Carolina over the past two seasons. He'll step into a similar role next to Jamin Davis in Washington.

Armstrong, Ferrell and Fowler might immediately be the best three edge rushers on the roster. (Quinn coached two of the three in Dallas.)

Chinn adds depth and versatility at safety, corner and linebacker.

These are big upgrades for a defense that ranked last in EPA following the trades of Chase Young and Montez Sweat in October.

Quinn brought standout center Biadasz with him from the Cowboys, and Allegretti will immediately compete for work at guard.

Ekeler is entering his age-29 season, but he's a terrific pass-catching complement to big back Brian Robinson Jr. and could push for 200 touches.

Ertz replaces Logan Thomas at tight end, and Washington might not be done at the position.

Plus, with the Commanders likely to use the No. 2 pick of April's draft on a quarterback, Mariota's arrival might send Sam Howell to the trade block.

The other rankings can be found here...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39716714/2024-nfl-free-agency-offseason-ranking-most-improved-teams-contracts-best-moves

Jags look to be done per OTC, and Houston could be somewhat limited in anything else they do, so I could see (expect?) Commanders to jump to #1 as most improved team by 'end' of FA.

44 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Yeah, I've fallen out of like with Williams after seeing analytics, his PFF grade has declined for three straight years and like you said, he gives up a ton of sacks. 

Josh Jones is my sole LT crush now.

I'm hoping a trade for Garett Bowles somehow happens

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"...Not an interchangeable safety, he should be in the box...Sometimes versatility can be the enemy of progress..."

Rivera is reading this and shaking his head in disgust while thinking, "Those guys Josh hired have no idea what they're doing. Everyone knows that position flexibility is the key to success".

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 4