Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Ferrrell is a depth/reclamation piece. Totally fine with the signing. But this actually gets us in a position to not be desperate for DE in the draft. My guess is we'll grab someone who is BPA in the 3rd/4th round range for the long-term. But Ferrell and Armstrong + Henry and Jones, Jr. give us a compelling 4 man rotation at least.

• Like 4

Didn't remember the name, so went looking.  Interesting option.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/49ers-free-agents-clelin-ferrell-stay-chase-18707549.php

Keepers

DE Clelin Ferrell

What’s the old line? You don’t know what you’ve got until he’s gone because of a season-ending knee injury.

After Ferrell started and finished the first 16 regular-season games, collecting 3.5 sacks and playing largely in the shadows, his immense value as a run defender became evident after he was injured in the Week 18 finale against the Rams.

Without Ferrell, the run defense went from stingy to stunningly bad. In the regular season, the 49ers allowed 89.7 rushing yards per game (third in the NFL) and 4.1 yards per carry (10th). In three playoff games: 149.3 yards per game and 5.1 yards per carry, figures that would have both ranked last in the NFL in the regular season.

Ferrell, the No. 4 pick in 2019 by the Raiders, has failed to meet draft-day expectations in his 13.5-sack career. But he’s elite when it comes to setting the edge, NFL lingo for a defensive end or linebacker’s ability to not allow running backs to get outside of them. It’s gritty and unglamorous work for a pass rusher, and Ferrell’s primary playoff replacements, Young and Randy Gregory, weren’t up to the task.

“Clelin brought probably the best effort of anybody on the team,” pass rusher Nick Bosa said when asked about Ferrell’s absence during the playoffs.

The 49ers should make a strong effort to bring back Ferrell. It’s a relatively low-cost move — he counted $2.46 million against the salary cap last year — that could pay big dividends.

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Fun watching this team build come together. The FO is approaching FA exactly as I had expected/hoped. Build through the draft, add quality pieces in FA, but don't overpay.

Ferrell will help set the edge against the rush, Armstrong will be looked to get to the passer, and Luvu will be a do-it-all backer who can blitz. None are breaking the bank. Defensive front already completely re-made.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

Didn't remember the name, so went looking.  Interesting option.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/49ers-free-agents-clelin-ferrell-stay-chase-18707549.php

Keepers

DE Clelin Ferrell

What’s the old line? You don’t know what you’ve got until he’s gone because of a season-ending knee injury.

After Ferrell started and finished the first 16 regular-season games, collecting 3.5 sacks and playing largely in the shadows, his immense value as a run defender became evident after he was injured in the Week 18 finale against the Rams.

Without Ferrell, the run defense went from stingy to stunningly bad. In the regular season, the 49ers allowed 89.7 rushing yards per game (third in the NFL) and 4.1 yards per carry (10th). In three playoff games: 149.3 yards per game and 5.1 yards per carry, figures that would have both ranked last in the NFL in the regular season.

Ferrell, the No. 4 pick in 2019 by the Raiders, has failed to meet draft-day expectations in his 13.5-sack career. But he’s elite when it comes to setting the edge, NFL lingo for a defensive end or linebacker’s ability to not allow running backs to get outside of them. It’s gritty and unglamorous work for a pass rusher, and Ferrell’s primary playoff replacements, Young and Randy Gregory, weren’t up to the task.

“Clelin brought probably the best effort of anybody on the team,” pass rusher Nick Bosa said when asked about Ferrell’s absence during the playoffs.

The 49ers should make a strong effort to bring back Ferrell. It’s a relatively low-cost move — he counted $2.46 million against the salary cap last year — that could pay big dividends.

Good info, CDM.  

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Calvin Ridley is someone I'd be interested in taking a look at even with a strong WR class. Ridley and Terry would seem like a potent dual threat. 

Ridley seems to be the Patriots top target (but the Jags are trying to keep him)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTC has the Armstrong, Ekeler and Allegretti deals on the books.

Cap hits ('24, '25, '26)

Armstrong:$4.9m - $9.8m - $12.3m

Allegretti:$3.6m, $4.5m, $8m

Ekeler: $3.2m, $5.1m, ----

If Armstrong's hit is $4.9m in 2024, I would expect Luvu to be in the range of $5-6m. We know McManus is $3.5m. Ertz around $3m, Biadiasz is probably around $5m as well.

Armstrong: $4.9m

Biadiasz: $5m

Luvu: $6m

Allegretti: $3.6m

Ekeler: $3.2m

Ertz: $3m

McManus: $3.5m

Total: $29.2m

We've got about $60m remaining. Less our draft capital, that's still $46m to spend. And that can go a LONG way with how these are structured.

10ish mil for rookie class, and I’m guessing they’ll wanna hold onto 20+mil for in-season moves and to roll into next year.  Maybe earmark some money for a Cosmi extension?  Still gives them 30 or so to play around with.  OT, possibly/likely a swing OT, safety and corner left to sign.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

10ish mil for rookie class, and I’m guessing they’ll wanna hold onto 20+mil for in-season moves and to roll into next year.  Maybe earmark some money for a Cosmi extension?  Still gives them 30 or so to play around with.  OT, possibly/likely a swing OT, safety and corner left to sign.

Yep, it's $10m for the Top 51, I think about $14.5m for the total allocation.

I agree ... think we'll carry over quite a bit of $$.

What I expect rest of this primary FA cycle:

Offensive Tackle - spend $$ here, is my guess

Cornerback - reclamation project would be my guess (1-2 year deal)

Safety - Stopgap type (Kearse)

Linebacker - 1 year deal, smaller contract, primarily depth

Offensive Tackle - 1 year deal, swing tackle

• Thumb up 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I'll take every Edge coming our way, we need em all.

Also not against a cheap reclamation project.

Not against calling him a reclamation project, but I’m reminded of Quinn/Whitt talking about finding what guys do well and using them to their strengths.  Ferrell’s gonna be setting some edges in the run game for sure.

• Like 3

Just now, skinny21 said:

Not against calling him a reclamation project, but I’m reminded of Quinn/Whitt talking about finding what guys do well and using them to their strengths.  Ferrell’s gonna be setting some edges in the run game for sure.

I don't think he's lived up to his draft status, but I don't think reclamation makes sense (depending on what the knee issue was).  

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep, it's $10m for the Top 51, I think about $14.5m for the total allocation.

I agree ... think we'll carry over quite a bit of $$.

What I expect rest of this primary FA cycle:

Offensive Tackle - spend $$ here, is my guess

Cornerback - reclamation project would be my guess (1-2 year deal)

Safety - Stopgap type (Kearse)

Linebacker - 1 year deal, smaller contract, primarily depth

Offensive Tackle - 1 year deal, swing tackle

Yeah, beside swing tackle, I didn’t (and maybe should have) included depth.  We’ll sign a bunch of cheaper guys, though I doubt they affect our top 51/53 too much.