Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Rappaport, Jack Del Rio/ Vieselmeyer Fired. Ron will run defense for rest of Season

Reaper Skins

2 hours ago, mojo said:

Ron after we pitch a shut out against the Dolphins.

"I had no idea I was this good!'

If he shuts out the Dolphins he might have earned that last year in his deal. He'd have to knock out both of the top 2 QB's in the 1st series to get the shutout....if then. Just imagine it. 

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Commanders to hire Michigan State’s  cornerbacks coach Jim Salgado as d-backs coach. 

MSU ranks near the bottom of the NCAA in defense and cornerback play this season. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/commanders-add-jim-salgado-to-defensive-coaching-staff

RR is consistent.  Salgado worked with the Carolina Panthers.  

• Haha 6
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Welp I think we have one coach that may survive the inevitable purge of Dan's coaching staff.

The ex-Bills secondary coach we just brought in to finish the season? Why would you think that? We have nobody in the building evaluating these guys who will be here in six weeks. Rivera just hired another out-of-work person (NFL-wise) recommended to him by one of his buddies (Frazier). 

36 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

I can’t believe how Ron won coach of the year twice , and this year has to be the worst coaching decisions I ever seen from a hc here before .

Honestly coach of the year awards are usually reflective of QB play and production. How much the HC had to do with that QB play is always the question. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Someone needed to come in to fill Vieselmeyer's job. Salgado hire is a short term gig as everyone knows the staff is gone after the season. I wouldn't read too much into this hire.

I feel like any number of current assistants could have come in and done the same thing Vieselmeyer did if the gig was only for a few weeks.

"Hey Forbes, go give up a long TD to Tyreek Hill"

"Percy, take a bad angle against Waddle and give up 40 YAC"

It's not hard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Someone needed to come in to fill Vieselmeyer's job. Salgado hire is a short term gig as everyone knows the staff is gone after the season. I wouldn't read too much into this hire.

Who is everyone? Am I included in this everyone? I am not going to assume. I like to see it happen first. 

15 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Who is everyone? Am I included in this everyone? I am not going to assume. I like to see it happen first. 

I guess you're not included then. LOL. Harris is no dummy. He knows he'd loose the fan base if he doesn't make a change.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

This is what a friend who is an MSU grad texted me when he heard the Commanders hired Salgado:

OMG-what a joke. Be prepared for DBs guarding turf and not being within 10 yards of any receiver!!  Why would they hire this guy??

🤣 And that's exactly why...we want a top pick

Not that I'm in to defending Ron anymore, God knows he deserves the criticism but I gotta defend this a little.

We're over 2/3rds of the way through what is pretty much a lost season full of dead men walking and they all known it at this point.

In this scenario you're not going to get the next bright young star to quit his job and join Ron on the deck of the titanic to listen to the band play.

This is just a warm body brought in to help close this chapter and really that's all it should be.

Edited by redskinss

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Not that I'm in to defending Ron anymore, God knows he deserves the criticism but I gotta defend this a little.

We're over 2/3rds of the way through what is pretty much a lost season full of dead men walking and they all known it at this point.

In this scenario you're not going together the next bright young star to quit his job and join Ron on the deck of the titanic to listen to the band play.

This is just a warm body brought in to help close this chapter and really that's all it should be at this point. 

Agreed. And if he can do anything positive compared to what the DBs looked like (which is certainly possible) then this becomes a semi positive on his resume for someone team next year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dyst said:

Coaching vs scheme. It’s a little of both. I don’t think we have playmakers. 

Fullers shown the ability to score off takeaways, Forbes had that in college

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed. And if he can do anything positive compared to what the DBs looked like (which is certainly possible) then this becomes a semi positive on his resume for someone team next year.

It's not like we know much about MSUs recruiting of DBs

Jay Gruden talked about this some on Standig's podcast.  He was befuddled that Ron is so hands off the defense and now is claiming he's ready to reclaim it.  As he goes, its Rivera's niche. his speciality and as the HC just to let it go with no involvement is odd.

Jay actually thinks highly of Rivera the defensive coordinator from his games against him -- I know from other podcasts, Jay doesn't think much of Del Rio's coaching.

Heck according to what some have said not only was Rivera hands off on the defense -- if anything he has had Del Rio and now Bieiniemy take over some of his HC duties.  So I gather if he wanted his assistant coaches to take things off of his plate -- he wasn't going to help the assistant coaches much consideing he wanted them to help him deal with his duties.  The whole thing feels weird.  

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.33.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.34.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.34.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.34.37 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jay Gruden talked about this some on Standig's podcast.  He was befuddled that Ron is so hands off the defense and now is claiming he's ready to reclaim it.  As he goes, its Rivera's niche. his speciality and as the HC just to let it go with no involvement is odd.

Jay actually thinks highly of Rivera the defensive coordinator from his games against him -- I know from other podcasts, Jay doesn't think much of Del Rio's coaching.

Heck according to what some have said not only was Rivera hands off on the defense -- if anything he has had Del Rio and now Bieiniemy take over some of his HC duties.  So I gather if he wanted his assistant coaches to take things off of his plate -- he wasn't going to help the assistant coaches much consideing he wanted them to help him deal with his duties.  The whole thing feels weird.  

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.33.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.34.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.34.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.34.37 AM.png

RR and Co. have had 4 years to right the ship and have failed miserably to say the least. I hope on Monday morning following the last regular season game he is gone along with Mayhew and Hurney and every F.O. and coaching staff personnel.