Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread ~ The Commanders vs. The Giants - A Giant Opportunity!

zCommander

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

We absolutely lack real All Pro type blue chip talents. We have Allen, Payne and Terry as fringe Pro Bowl types. But not a single guy would be in the perennial All Pro conversation.

But those guys I list are building block type guys. They are studs - Terry doesn’t destroy games but he’s so dependable and consistent, even this season when he looks like he’s playing through that turf toe.

You need a blue chipper at QB, LT,

WR, Edge/pass rusher and CB.

The only position we have a blue chip player at from that list is WR. Howell has shown enough IMO to get another year to show he can lock down the QB spot.

That means we need to find dudes at LT, Edge and CB. Hard - and hideously expensive - to find those guys in free agency. The draft is absolutely key.

Struggiling to find elite players has plagued this team forever.  It's another reason why if they can draft Harrison (agree there is a long way to go) I'd do it.  As a prospect, he's an even bigger deal than J. Chase was coming out of LSU.  He screams elite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He got too close to me when pretending to be Sam holding the ball too long and fell over a curb.  

He had no help, just lost equilibrium when you passed by and, oops, Loomis there, a curb, right?

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Evaluations of people much more qualified than me will matter and what I think plus $5 will get you a caramel latte at the Starbucks of your choice.

$5 doesn’t buy you caramel anything at Starbucks.  You must be stuck in 2012….

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Struggiling to find elite players has plagued this team forever.  It's another reason why if they can draft Harrison (agree there is a long way to go) I'd do it.  As a prospect, he's an even bigger deal than J. Chase was coming out of LSU.  He screams elite.

Problem is when they have elite players they piss them off and they refuse to sign with us. get franchised then leave. Rivera inherited a pretty elite OL. And while he didnt cause the Williams debacle he couldnt save it either. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

He had no help, just lost equilibrium when you passed by and, oops, Loomis there, a curb, right?

He was being a jackass and doing a really bad QB drop back impersonation and didn’t realize there was a curb behind him.  He tumbled, we all laughed at his expense, and he got up salty that we all thought it was so funny.  I then made fun of his shoes and we- not him, laughed some more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

Jay had notoriously terrible luck with injuries, absolutely no talent on defense, and Snyder and Bruce calling the shots behind the scenes.

There's no doubt in my mind of he had the current roster it'd be an instant upgrade.

You’d be wrong.

it would be the same ineptitude.  Not worse.  

But absolutely not better.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He was being a jackass and doing a really bad QB drop back impersonation and didn’t realize there was a curb behind him.  He tumbled, we all laughed at his expense, and he got up salty that we all thought it was so funny.  I then made fun of his shoes and we- not him, laughed some more.

That would be funny.  I was thinking of the roof scene from Shawshank where the guard says something like, “step aside, this guys about to have an accident.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Problem is when they have elite players they piss them off and they refuse to sign with us. get franchised then leave. Rivera inherited a pretty elite OL. And while he didnt cause the Williams debacle he couldnt save it either. 

We drafted two and gave em both to San Francisco for peanuts

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Come on man you can't act like Chase was/is anywhere near Trent's level.

I agree. But Young definitely has game changing type of talent and his impact is already being felt for the 9ers. 

You don't give up on talent like that for a meager compensatory 3rd. 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

JDR's defense is overly complicated. No surprise to me since I know our players didnt forget how to play defense. Terrible scheme.

I thought we were playing a lot of man today.

Can someone explain how what St. Juste is describing is different than just "zone defense"?

40 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

JDR's defense is overly complicated. No surprise to me since I know our players didnt forget how to play defense. Terrible scheme.

Thats what I was saying when he was hired. He coached the Broncos defense before Wade Phillips did and they won the SB and had the best defense in the league in 15. The Broncos players were all saying how it was so much better to just attack than to react to everything, which is what they were doing to previous season. 

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Thats what I was saying when he was hired. He coached the Broncos defense before Wade Phillips did and they won the SB and had the best defense in the league in 15. The Broncos players were all saying how it was so much better to just attack than to react to everything, which is what they were doing to previous season. 

It used to grind my nerves to learn Jason Campbell had to digest Al Saunders 800 page playbook. That they only purged it back in year 2.

When you see competent defenders that had no history of mental mistakes making mental mistakes, it's points the finger at the DC. Tis a rare thing to hear a DB come out and just say it - thanks Ben for pulling the curtain back for all to see JDR standing there like a stubborn mule. I still remember the Bears games blitzing us attacking at the LOS and our WRs blanketed deep. JDR played it passive at the LOS and the Bears WRs were wide open deep, running at will on us. All in the first quarter. Bears were jubilant to win the coin toss and receive (almost completely unprecedented) to get to work vs our DBs running around in a failed system.

JDRs scheme may be 3D chess level of sophistication but just implying the players are too stupid by never adjusting shows who really is stupid.

The job of the coach above all else is to teach. We all had good teachers and bad teachers. The good teachers made concepts simple to understand. They communicate and correct mistakes effectively. The bad teachers just overcomplicate matters and don't address mistakes in an efficient manner.

I remember when McVay first took over in LA and the players raved about how simple everything was for them to learn because how good McVay is at communicating his tactics and concepts to his players. Same thing with McDaniel in Miami.

Above all else, our coaches are not good teachers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

The sooner Rivera is gone the better, he's lost the players confidence. 

That's how I see it as well. I find it hard to believe he still has their respect. His continuance on the sideline will become more of an embarrassment and do more damage than good.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

That's how I see it as well. I find it hard to believe he still has their respect. His continuance on the sideline will become more of an embarrassment and do more damage than good.

He doesn't actually do anything, its maddening.

I was watching SNF last night and Sean Payton literally stood in the middle of a huddle on the sideline instructing his guys.

Rivera just stands there, arms folded, while occasionally yelling at the refs.

When was the last time he actually coached someone up on the sideline? Or even spoke to an assistant? 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

He doesn't actually do anything, its maddening.

I was watching SNF last night and Sean Payton literally stood in the middle of a huddle on the sideline instructing his guys.

Rivera just stands there, arms folded, while occasionally yelling at the refs.

When was the last time he actually coached someone up on the sideline? Or even spoke to an assistant? 

Exactly. He only speaks to someone on the sideline if:

They walk directly in front of them

An assistant or ref comes to him for a discussion

he feels like complaining to a ref about some trivial call (ignoring all the crap calls)

• Thanks 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

Exactly. He only speaks to someone on the sideline if:

They walk directly in front of them

An assistant or ref comes to him for a discussion

he feels like complaining to a ref about some trivial call (ignoring all the crap calls)

Jon Allen was just on the Junkies and when asked if Rivera had changed the culture, he couldn't really give an answer. I mean he said "yeah he changed it" but gave no real reasoning as to how. Now Allen is a good soldier and won't throw anyone under the bus publicly but if HE'S fed up then you know the locker room is too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Jon Allen was just on the Junkies and when asked if Rivera had changed the culture, he couldn't really give an answer. I mean he said "yeah he changed it" but gave no real reasoning as to how. Now Allen is a good soldier and won't throw anyone under the bus publicly but if HE'S fed up then you know the locker room is too. 

And this is why his head really needs to roll. He is stealing his pay, not earning it at this point. And he has become detrimental to future of this organization.  Funny how for 2 years he was the opposite but has turned. 

Eventually, inaction from Harris may lead to players losing confidence in him. Its growing to be more than lack of confidence in Ron at this point.  Harris was the cavalry we all reveled here to save the day. That starts with cleaning house.  The house is dirty af with snyders crap still smeared all over the place.

If Ron isn't fired by this weekend Harris has completely punted on the entire season, other than trading away 2 soon to be overpaid players.  I get it, many say can't just willy nilly name a coach. But you can willy nilly just ****ing do it and name an assistant interim thats probably going to get axed anyways. Lets hand the keys to Ernie Zampese and just ****ing deal with it. Stop terrible coaches one foot out the door from creating any more dysfunction.

"It's time for someone to put their foot down, and that foot is me. " - Josh Harris, 25th November 1963.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's hard to miss that Jay is salty about Ron. Especially as to how much Ron has stressed that he's changing the culture -- Jay took that as aimed some at him.  So Jay has taken some snipes with his vintage sarcastic quips.

Knowing Jay some, I bet if Ron is canned he won't celebrate it at first because he thinks it sucks for all the assistant coaches to lose jobs, etc.  But I bet ultimately (as he typically does when he doesn't care for someone) he will take some shots at Ron again once time passes. 

I think Ron and Jay are more alike than not.  No competitive fire.