Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

You can have a veggie sandwich as well. Meat is optional. I wasn’t writing a nuanced reply. A burrito is absolutely a sandwich. 

Cheese and pickle (or as you Barbarians I believe call it, a Ploughmans), a legendary sandwich!! Now I'm hungry!

• Haha 1

In the Blues Brothers song "Rubber Biscuit" they speak of eating a "jam sandwich" which is where you get two pieces of bread and "jam them together".  So there's that and those guys spend a nickel in Joliet.  🤣

51 minutes ago, illone said:

Since we’re on sandwiches, maybe someone from the new staff can indoctrinate Sam Howell on this:

*now that’s a sammich. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8231e3be2c713203c5569dbb91195f17.jpeg

Is that sliced red potatoes or turnips? I don’t know if the potatoes would work well. The lettuce is a little too green too without a bite. The texture contrast would be mushy. Maybe deep fried onion string instead of the potato slices to add some crunch. 

Edit. I zoomed in and the lettuce is arugula so that can stay but you still need something with a crunch.

Edited by SoCalSkins

17 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Is that sliced red potatoes or turnips? I don’t know if the potatoes would work well. The lettuce is a little too green too without a bite. The texture contrast would be mushy. Maybe deep fried onion string instead of the potato slices to add some crunch. 

Edit. I zoomed in and the lettuce is arugula so that can stay but you still need something with a crunch.

Red potatoes or turnips?!? Definitely radishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

In the Blues Brothers song "Rubber Biscuit" they speak of eating a "jam sandwich" which is where you get two pieces of bread and "jam them together".  So there's that and those guys spend a nickel in Joliet.  🤣

I thought it  was a "wish sandwich".

A “wish sandwich” is where you have two slices of bread and wish you had some meat to put between them.

Alrighty then. Let's just check in and see what's up with all the coaching and front office stuff. 

y46RJR.gif

Oh and. 

47717-reuben-sandwich-ii-mike-phillips-b

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

agreed, although i think the bread might be of the crispy variety. If not, can be toasted lightly or gently pan fried to crisp those edges a little. 

i think those are turnips. Replace w some red onion…

chefs kiss 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PCS said:

47717-reuben-sandwich-ii-mike-phillips-b

Katzs Deli..BEST...REUBAN...EVER!!!!

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I thought it  was a "wish sandwich".

A “wish sandwich” is where you have two slices of bread and wish you had some meat to put between them.

Both are in that song.

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, redskinss said:

Listen Here, sugary peanut butter sandwich guy, this thread is right where it's supposed to be!

He is a professor!

FB_IMG_1708741933729.jpg.89dc1182fb2272e08d4edfc0e4600e71.jpg

Any way. This is super exciting. 8 train is gonna roll this season. It'll be great to have coaches that aren't ****ing idiots with a rookie QB.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I pulled out some excerpts:

When interviewing Quinn, multiple sources involved in the process said, Harris asked him the same question he asked others: What was his impression of the team's personnel? Harris also focused on the relationship between the coach, general manager and owner. Myers, too, asked about the coach-GM dynamic. Spielman asked how he would handle crisis management situations, such as receiving a call at 2 a.m. about a player who just gotten a DUI arrest.

But one question stood out: Myers asked Quinn about the most adversity he had faced. That one was easy: Super Bowl LI, when Quinn's Falcons blew a 28-3 lead to the New England Patriots and lost in overtime. The group didn't ask Quinn to relive the game, but rather, how he handled the situation.

"He talked about it in a very healthy way, non-defensive way," one source who was in the room said.

They also liked what he didn't do: blame others for the loss.

"We have seen him in a brutally difficult position, go through it, get through it and get back on the horse and say, 'I want another crack at this,'" one team source said. "If Andy Reid was blamed for the Eagles losing the Super Bowl [XXXIX, in 2005] and never got another job that would've been a travesty."

"WHAT WOULD YOU do differently?"

A short question during Quinn's interview led to a long answer -- and one that multiple sources involved said cemented the team's belief in him.

Quinn detailed what he considered his blind spots during his time in Atlanta, how he rectified some of those issues in Dallas and how he would implement changes in Washington.

Shortly after he was fired by Atlanta on Oct. 11, 2020, Laura Okmin, a longtime TV sports reporter currently with Fox, contacted Quinn with an idea. She wanted to do what Quinn later termed a "360 review" -- a private report to help him identify areas he needed to improve as a coach. Okmin had done outside work with Quinn since 2015 on various aspects of the industry, including media training. She has worked with other coaches and athletes as well.

That level of self-analysis was nothing new for Quinn. In 2017, after losing the Super Bowl to the Patriots, he sought opinions from others who had been in a similar situation, including former Cleveland manager Terry Francona, whose team held a 3-1 World Series advantage against the Chicago Cubs in 2016 before losing in seven games.

During the interview with Washington, Quinn focused on improving his blind spots, detailing the 360 review, multiple people involved in the process said. Quinn had given Okmin a list of about 50 names to contact. She requested they be people he might have cut, passed over for a job or did not end with on good terms. She did not want a glowing review of Quinn, she wanted to collect information that could help him grow as a coach.

Okmin said she spoke to 30-40 people. Among the findings Quinn shared with Washington during a several-hour video conference call with him: He had spread himself too thin with Atlanta and needed to delegate more, which he eventually did in Dallas, giving his assistants more say in preparing the defense. Quinn told the interviewers in Washington his defensive coordinator would call the plays, unlike his setup in Atlanta. This would free Quinn to handle all aspects of being a head coach.

Multiple sources said the group liked Morris, whom Spielman has known for 20 years. After Atlanta offered Morris its job in late January, his side informed Washington. But the Commanders were determined to finish all of their in-person interviews. When the Falcons hired Morris on Jan. 25, Washington still had five in-person interviews remaining.

Because Detroit and Baltimore had played NFC and AFC title games on Jan. 28, and because each had two candidates, Washington wanted to visit their respective cities for the interviews. Commanders brass went to Baltimore on Jan. 29 for two interviews, talked to Quinn the next morning in Washington and then boarded their private plane for Detroit.

Though many NFL sources believed Johnson was the top candidate, Washington had not interviewed him in person. Before he could be considered one of the favorites, the committee wanted a face-to-face interview.

According to team sources, Washington's decision-makers were looking forward to their Detroit trip to meet with Glenn and Johnson. But Washington never got that chance with the latter. While the committee members were en route, Johnson texted them to say he had decided to stay with the Lions. According to multiple people involved, because Johnson texted when they were in the air, they found out about his decision via social media, before his text went through -- a sequence that irked the Commanders delegation.

The Commanders also liked Macdonald. But after their interview with Glenn on Tuesday, Jan. 30, they wanted to have more internal conversations about the candidates. Mayhew and Peters flew to Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl; Harris went to Miami and Myers to Los Angeles. They spoke later that night and again Wednesday morning.

However, that morning they learned Macdonald was flying to Seattle for a second in-person interview with the Seahawks. Washington called to see if Macdonald was still interested in its opening, but, after talking to him, the group knew it was a matter of time before he got the Seattle job. Indeed, he was named the Seahawks' coach several hours later.

That same day, Slowik got an extension to stay with Houston, leaving Washington with three candidates: Quinn, Weaver and Glenn. Sources involved in the process said Quinn's experience and his detailed plans won him the job. Washington also liked pairing its new general manager with an experienced coach.

The Commanders also evaluated each candidate on seven qualities: leadership, intelligence, honesty, integrity, consistency of personality, communication and ability to build a staff. Each candidate received a score from 1 to 10; Quinn received all 9s and 10s and scored the highest, according to a source involved in the process. The source said that the Commanders did not hire Quinn because he had the highest score, but that it reflected their thoughts on him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Fwiw Randy Mueller was in the Ben Standig podcast explaining why Randy Mueller has been fired twice and is no longer a GM.

In his 150 FAs for the NFL, on the commanders, he has Charles, Pringle, Reaves, Brissett, and Fuller.

And no Kam Curl.

In no world is Charles or Pringle a better player than Curl.  I agree Curl isn’t a top 5 safety, but he’s a heck of a lot better than those guys.

He also said he would prioritize re-signing Lucas to play left tackle.  I think he got Leno and Lucas confused.  And re-sign Charles.  Who isn’t good and can’t stay healthy.

He said “I protect big guys, and I protect fast guys. Charles is a big guy and Pringle is a fast guy.”

I would normally say “national guy, tough to watch film on all 32 teams and make a determination.”  But he went on and on about how much film he watched.

He isn’t high on Maye, and likes JJ McCarthy.  

Also, he said Peters basically shouldn’t even consult Quinn on a QB.  But he should talk, minimally, to Kliff.  But at the end, Peters needs to make the decision. 

All of that read like “and this is why I work for the Athletic and not an NFL team.”

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’m growing more confident with this hire. Unlike Ron, he felt he didn’t do anything wrong In Carolina and didn’t do anything different; Dan seems have learned from his past mistakes and learned what to do now and not to do now. Dan seems to have grown as a coach and is willing to change things that didn’t work in the past.

Some coaches refuse to change and adapt.  Which why unless BB finds a desperate owner in 25; he is done coaching in the NFL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I’m growing more confident with this hire. Unlike Ron, he felt he didn’t do anything wrong In Carolina and didn’t do anything different; Dan seems have learned from his past mistakes and learned what to do now and not to do now. Dan seems to have grown as a coach and is willing to change things that didn’t work in the past.

Some coaches refuse to change and adapt.  Which why unless BB finds a desperate owner in 25; he is done coaching in the NFL.

We’ll see what happens if we start 0-3, but I feel we’ll have fewer Quinn Bots than we did Ron Bots the last few years. This process was clearly better than what we did in 2019…mostly because we HAD a process, and it was run by competent basketball…I mean football people. The real feeling of genuine optimism is palpable.

I was very meh on the hire. I was also still down and in a bit of shock because Dan Campbell told Ben Johnson to put on his gimp suit and obey, like a good little *****.

But seeing the staff they put together, as well as the number of people leaving good teams and good situations to jump at the chance to work here? It’s a feeling we’ve not known in a long time…a long time. I’d venture to say there are many here who have never known it.

• Like 3

I'm optimistic about this staff for all the listed reasons and also because that's what I do, I hate going into a season already pessimistic, I believe there will be plenty of chances to be depressed once we're actually cruising towards a losing season rather than expecting it to happen even if in your heart of hearts you know that's the most likely outcome. 

Most people point towards quinns big choke in the superbowl as reason for caution and it's a good place to start but there are several other examples to be worried about his penchant for choking.

Last year in the playoffs is one example but also his last season with the falcons when he got fired mid-season. 

They started 0-5 which included two big blown leads in the fourth quarter and after they fired him they won 3 of their next 4 games.

He clearly has a knack for bonding with players and getting them extremely motivated but does he instill enough discipline for his teams to execute all 4 quarters?

Hopefully that's one of the things he has worked on, his so called blind spots so to speak but that big choke job against the packers might suggest otherwise. 

Either way he'll get the benefit of the doubt from me until he shows me otherwise.