Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Interesting... I went to Broad Run with Larry, sandwiched right between him and his older brother Lenny. Knew Lenny better, even if Larry and I had overlapping circles of friends. You wouldn't have called Ashburn "NoVa" at that time, especially since my family moved from the Loehman's Plaza area to Loudoun in early '87... :rofl89:

His Wiki says he went to school in TX. Did they move away?

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

His Wiki says he went to school in TX. Did they move away?

He did, yeah. I think it was after my Junior year... ? He was a year younger and Lenny was a year older.

• Like 1

Kaczor was ok but despite the fact that some of our vets expressed their  support for him, I'm not at all sorry to see him leave.

It's beneficial for a team that's been a perennial loser to have as many new voices as practical.

I want our players to be uncomfortable and uncertain where they stand.

That should lead to a more aggressive and competitive environment as players fight to prove their worth to coaches unfamiliar with them.

image.png.64655acf0e0661c3a62c1317c782a6b2.png

Age 49

Larence Alexander

Coaching career: 

New York Giants (2011–2015)

On June 24, 2011, Izzo joined the New York Giants as assistant special teams coach. Izzo was credited with helping turn around the Giants special teams during their Super Bowl run in 2011-12. In the pivotal 2011-12 NFC Championship game, the Giant's special teams changed the momentum of the game when rookie linebacker Jacquian Williams caused a fumble on a punt return to set up Lawrence Tynes' game-winning field goal in overtime against the 49ers. The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl, and Izzo received his fourth Super Bowl ring.

Houston Texans (2016–2017)

On January 15, 2016, the Houston Texans hired Izzo as special teams coordinator. During Izzo's tenure with Houston the Special Teams unit improved its DVOA ranking from dead last (ranked 32 in 2015) to 26 in 2017, including finishing in the top 10 in two critical statistical areas related to coverage teams (Opponent Kickoff Return Average and Net Punt Average, which was 41.3 yds). On January 2, 2018 Texans reached a mutual parting of the ways with Izzo.

Seattle Seahawks (2018–present)

On February 1, 2018, the Seattle Seahawks hired Izzo as assistant special teams coach.

On September 11, 2020, Izzo became the interim special teams coordinator for the Seahawks after their coordinator Brian Schneider left the team indefinitely due to personal reasons; Izzo subsequently led the Seahawks into the top 3 for Special Teams DVOA rankings. He was promoted to full-time special teams coordinator on March 3, 2021.

Source: Wikipedia

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I would, but I'm bad at evaluating college players, because it is not my job and I have no training.

....I'm not sure if you understand how the Internet works....😉

• Haha 8

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Seattle's ST has always been rock solid. Good hire. Quinn is killing it. 

Yes Sir… man this isn’t any joke, finally a franchise that’s seems to making every effort to be a winner, being fans for so long I can’t say I remember when the assembling of coaches at a high standard with great skills in coaching their particular positions has come together seemly so nicely… man I’m pumped Sept can’t get here fast enough…. 

• Like 5

Hires that are not based on nepotism and comfort from past relationships -- is a novel change.  Last time we had that was with Gibbs.

Shanny had a great offensive staff in his case the nepotism-relationships was an advantage.  But often it isn't.  We've tried to rebuild this team for years to be Tampa North or Carolina North -- even though those teams were meh.   This is a radical change from that.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I am hoping the offense becomes a sort of blend of their styles. I just don't have much faith that the offense he ran when he was HC of the Cardinals can have sustained success. I was hoping he involved but the video of him saying he still thinks its not really necessary to be able to read a defense made me 🥴 Hopefully Brian and others have some influence. I really wish we had someone with experience running the WCO in house 

Amen, @ThatNFLChick You are spot on.  We have been Blessed to have been able to hire Brian Johnson.  Call me what you will and anyone as I am a straight shooter and try to be, Kliff is unique and this team needs unique but so is Johnson and I just read before getting on this board an seeing your reply back that we also hired Larry Izzo as special teams coach.  Quinn for the win on LI and we are fortunate to have landed Brian Johnson and Kliff's intangibles shall be seen too.  What a staff so far.  Yes?  :)  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hires that are not based on nepotism and comfort from past relationships -- is a novel change.  Last time we had that was with Gibbs.

Shanny had a great offensive staff in his case the nepotism-relationships was an advantage.  But often it isn't.  We've tried to rebuild this team for years to be Tampa North or Carolina North -- even though those teams were meh.   This is a radical change from that.

I just mentioned to @ThatNFLChick something comparative to what you just posted here with Izzo and Johnson being added to our O staff same can be said about the D staff and the entire coaching staff and F.O., ownership and leadership. :)  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Maybe a potential for Dline coach.  Is assistant DL coach in SF right now.

We shall see.  Had some good #s under mentor and current 9ers DL Kocurek.  I like it and hope it happens.  :)  He's ready!  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thanks. I'm laid up post eye surgery face down on a massage table. I was going to use the time to be productive, but I'm a drooling frittata with cross eyed vision. This will be great.

I had “face down in the mud” on my bingo card. So close!! 😆

Hope the surgery went well brother!!

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Bloody Hell we really are having a proper go here. We have some FO pull now.

The more British you sound the better we’re doing, I’m feeling GOOD today 

• Haha 13

I remember constantly hearing Izzo's name as a great player back in the day. That is saying something, (other than kicker/punter/returner), those ST guys rarely get the glory they deserve.

• Like 3

Congrats to Quinn on assembling a solid staff. I have my preferences (like the rest of you degenerate idiots 😆), but I’m willing to see how things shake out. 

I’m most interested in how we attack our glaring roster weaknesses (QB/OL/ILB/EDGE) and how we go about getting some weaponry for our young QB.

This is the most important offseason for us since Sega Genesis came out. If we can nail it, our rise from the ashes might be closer than we think. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It's ironic for me to be the one to say this, but another thing I like about our new coaching staff is the fact that, compared to some of the old geezers that were wheeled in with Rivera, they are younger, and hungrier, while still being knowledgeable, and experienced.

In other words they are either in their prime or approaching it.

The Rivera crew was filled with "lifers", coaches holding on from season to season, whose best years were clearly behind them.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Anyone seriously think that Ben "Roids" Johnson or Mike "Doobie Brothers" Macdonald could have assembled such an impressive staff so quickly?

Seems like there are more levels to a head coaching hire than being a trendy young coordinator, or being the last guy to have coffee with Shanahan or McVay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1