Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I don’t get the hype with Kingsbury. Is he a good offensive mind? Yes. But his units lack discipline. Penalties and lots of self inflicted wounds. 

The guy has done the least amount on the field to ever receive such high amounts of praise. I don’t understand it. 

If he can tutor the QBs and call a good game as ONLY an OC, he's a excellent get.  Beyond that, we could go in another direction.  Many have said this.  Him as ONLY a OC and tutor of the QB.  I'd personally would like to see a Senior Offensive Asst. on our coaching staff with Kingsbury to oversee and give assistance.  

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

How is this picking apart the eagles? Wasn't Brian Johnson only there for a year before the eagles fired him?

That team fell apart last season. I honestly don't want their cast-off OC. 

Exactly, I’d rather keep EB to be honest then to hire Brian Johnson … dude was fired after 1 season as you stated, even his players seemed to dislike him… no way do we want this guy imho… 

Just now, Command The 414 said:

Exactly, I’d rather keep EB to be honest then to hire Brian Johnson … dude was fired after 1 season as you stated, even his players seemed to dislike him… no way do we want this guy imho… 

No harm in us interviewing Johnson though, C414.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No harm in us interviewing Johnson though, C414.

Agreed no harm in interviewing I just hope he doesn’t get hired … imho eagles talent level is head and shoulders above ours offensively and he after a 10-1 start couldn’t get them going… their offense looked horrific 

Edited by Command The 414

3 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I am uncomfortable when I see...I'd rather keep EB...please refrain from this type of comments moving forward :806:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Thumb up 2

Something I don’t understand about Kingsbury: he’s considered an obsessively hard worker - like showing up to the facilities everyday a 3:30am and leaving later than everyone else kind of work ethic. I’ve heard this from media, Arizona fans, etc. And yet, his offenses have been consistently criticized for lacking attention to detail and racking up penalties (as @AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy mentioned above). 

Tough for me to reconcile those two things. Either he’s not actually working as hard as people think, or he’s focusing on the wrong stuff to be obsessive over. Hopefully he’s self-aware enough to have learned from that and will improve going forward. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I am uncomfortable when I see...I'd rather keep EB...please refrain from this type of comments moving forward :806:

Me too I just typed that to make my opinion of Brian Johnson being interviewed for the OC as a disdain or definitely not something I want to happen 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If he can tutor the QBs and call a good game as ONLY an OC, he's a excellent get.  Beyond that, we could go in another direction.  Many have said this.  Him as ONLY a OC and tutor of the QB.  

This still doesn’t address that his offenses play sloppy and his lack of attention to detail. Kinda reminds me of Gruden in some ways (Gruden run game specifically) where they run a lot of different concepts but don’t really excel at any of them. 

Kingsbury is a shiny new toy without the shine. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If he can tutor the QBs and call a good game as ONLY an OC, he's a excellent get.  Beyond that, we could go in another direction.  Many have said this.  Him as ONLY a OC and tutor of the QB.  I'd personally would like to see a Senior Offensive Asst. on our coaching staff with Kingsbury to oversee and give assistance.  

Then let’s hire an actual OC and tab Kingsbury as the QB coach. Not being serious about that, seriously doubt Klingsbury would take a QB coach job, but it speaks to the flaws in Kingsbury as an OC (let alone HC!)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This still doesn’t address that his offenses play sloppy and his lack of attention to detail. Kinda reminds me of Gruden in some ways (Gruden run game specifically) where they run a lot of different concepts but don’t really excel at any of them. 

What penalties did they get the most? If false starts and holding, a lot of that can be blamed on Kyler Murray not being a very well prepared quarterback and scrambling way too much. A qb who does not step up in the pocket but rather scrambles around the field, makes the job of the oline incredibly difficult and leads to holding calls. 

I am certainly not defending Kliff. Just trying to understand what happened in Arizona.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Something I don’t understand about Kingsbury: he’s considered an obsessively hard worker - like showing up to the facilities everyday a 3:30am and leaving later than everyone else kind of work ethic. I’ve heard this from media, Arizona fans, etc. And yet, his offenses have been consistently criticized for lacking attention to detail and racking up penalties (as @AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy mentioned above). 

Tough for me to reconcile those two things. Either he’s not actually working as hard as people think, or he’s focusing on the wrong stuff to be obsessive over. Hopefully he’s self-aware enough to have learned from that and will improve going forward. 

Not sure on this, but could be Murray.  When the guy running the offense has a rep for not putting in the work, I’m not sure it matters that Kingsbury is.

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Then let’s hire an actual OC and tab Kingsbury as the QB coach. Not being serious about that, seriously doubt Klingsbury would take a QB coach job, but it speaks to the flaws in Kingsbury as an OC (let alone HC!)

I don't think that Kliff accepts that position, MartinC. I think he wants to be OC.  So, Quinn and Peters are left with a semi big decision to make.  I'd still like to see them pry Klint Kubiak away from NO, myself. :)  

20 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I don't want Johnson either, but my God, it's become very clear that dumping EB off on his "friend" Rivera was an all-time move by Reid. Add it to his HOF accomplishments. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, RWJ said:

I don't think that Kliff accepts that position, MartinC. I think he wants to be OC.  So, Quinn and Peters are left with a semi big decision to make.  I'd still like to see them pry Klint Kubiak away from NO, myself. :)  

Completely agree he wouldn’t take a QB coach role.

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

To me, the Kingsbury appeal is in him developing a young QB we're about to devote pick 1.2 in the draft to...while DQ manages overall team discipline as the HC.

And, speaking of Gruden...I actually kind of like the dude as an OC (not here, though). Not the strongest disciplinarian or playcaller out there, but his passing scheme got WRs open by design as a matter of course.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Conn said:

So Quinn was the pick without a definite OC choice among his staff list? Isn’t that odd? I kind of assumed a huge advantage that he had was that he’d already have a hell of a staff assembled via handshake deals. But we’re doing interviews for arguably the most important position on the staff

No. Quinn was never the first choice.

He was the guy standing when the smoke cleared. And that’s not a bad thing necessarily. He survived all the tests and remained when all the other candidates moved on or weren’t our choice. 

We’re being sold that he was their guy all along (though I haven’t seen reports saying exactly that, but the implication is they were enamored from the start), but he wasn’t. If he was, we wouldn’t have been the last team to hire a head coach.

I don’t think it’s complicated.

I think they thought highly of Quinn from the start but liked other potential hires better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Not sure on this, but could be Murray.  When the guy running the offense has a rep for not putting in the work, I’m not sure it matters that Kingsbury is.

Yeah, I do think that explains at least part of it. He’s known more so for the hours he puts into video games than his hours of film study. 

• Thumb up 1

I do think Murray was a lot of the problem in Az. I'd be willing to bet most of it, if there was a truly accurate way to quantify it. When the FO puts stipulations regarding things like film review in your contract (until the typical talking heads start to squawk), there is a problem with your work ethic.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Completely agree he wouldn’t take a QB coach role.

Fleury's name has been mentioned ( 👍) and as stated I really like the other KK, Klint Kubiak :)but if Kliff Kingsbury is their hire, a Senior Offensive Asst. would almost be a must, I think.  Quinn had a Senior Defensive Asst. in Atlanta in Marquand Manuel, so why not one on Offense.  Just a thought.   

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I do think Murray was a lot of the problem in Az. I'd be willing to bet most of it, if there was a truly accurate way to quantify it. When the FO puts stipulations regarding things like film review in your contract (until the typical talking heads start to squawk), there is a problem with your work ethic.

Having one of the worst owners in the NFL and a multi DUI walking train wreck GM didn’t help matters either for Kingsbury.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No. Quinn was never the first choice.

He was the guy standing when the smoke cleared. And that’s not a bad thing necessarily. He survived all the tests and remained when all the other candidates moved on or weren’t our choice. 

We’re being sold that he was their guy all along (though I haven’t seen reports saying exactly that, but the implication is they were enamored from the start), but he wasn’t. If he was, we wouldn’t have been the last team to hire a head coach.

I don’t think it’s complicated.

I think they thought highly of Quinn from the start but liked other potential hires better.

KDawg, that may be the 64K question that never truly gets answered.  Maybe some years from now but we won't know and may never know IF Quinn was THE guy or not.  A video surfaced a week or so back where some young ladies videoed Quinn, it truly looked like before the week 18 game against Dallas and they asked if Quinn was going to be our next HC and he told them yes while laughing.  It seems legit but who knows.  

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Having one of the worst owners in the NFL and a multi DUI walking train wreck GM didn’t help matters either for Kingsbury.

Excellent point, MartinC :) Culture change around an older, wiser, caring and leader like Quinn could change him.  Just an added though to your comment. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As i mentioned Standig said at the Senior Bowl, there was much talk from people around the league about Ben Johnson looking bad but part of that was also his agent looking bad.  I gather the agent wanted to do damage control. But it IMO was a dumb move, just made them look worse, to take shots back. 

I am in business where in a different field, stuff gets leaked to the media where your client doesn't look good -- often the best solution is to leave it alone.  When you try to reframe a damaging story that's already out there, it gives it more legs, and it often it makes it worse.  I got the idea of responding.  That was my original reaction earlier in my career. But it comes off amateurish.  Dumb move IMO from Johnson's agent.  And I think this is probably mostly on the agent. It's the agent's job to manage these type of situations.

Reading the retorts from Johnson’s camp, I had the same thoughts. I was involved in something where a lot of falsehoods were written that affected me, personally. We did not respond. It eventually died out and forgotten about. When you respond, it puts another log on the fire and puts it back at the top of the Twitter list.

It will be very interesting how his interviews go next year.

I still hope he stubs is pinky toe on the leg of the bed, every morning, for the next year.

• Like 1