Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I would prefer kingsbury with a young qb. Being here in AZ i got a chance to see his offense up close. Kyler was not his pick. It was the ownership and media influence. Murray's lack of respect for the game and not spending time in the film room was the problem for the second half of both seasons and the downfall of kingsbury. Its easier to fire the coach than the player. Teams had trouble in the beginning and had Murray played up to his potential he would still be the coach out here. 

• Like 7

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

What type of scheme does Klingsbury run? How does it seem like he would do developing a rookie QB?

More of the air raid system with a lot of motion to free up the recievers. Screen gsme used along with the run game. First option is deep them intermediate then check down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Jason Reid, Mike Jones and JLC have historically taken a dump on this org at every opportunity they could.  You know damn well they have agendas. 

The thing that makes Reid standout even among the other 2 you mention is he doesn't stop with the negatives.  Aside from Reid pumping them up for drafting Haskins, he's just trashed this organization left and right on just about everything.  JLC and Jones, especially JLC actually sometimes sprinkle some sunshine about this team.  

Why don't I post Reid's stuff generally?  Because he's not reporting he's simply giving his opinion on stuff and what makes his opinion so special?   Him for example saying Quinn fly on a commercial flight versus a private plan and that proves this team wasn't that serious about him.  Give me a break.  That's not a report.  That Reid spitballing like he always does.  And just by coincidence 😎. his spitball takes always seem to go against this team. 

Part of the reason why I like Keim is not just that he's hardly ever wrong but he's not about sharing his personal takes.  That's not his gig.  I don't care about Keim's opinion generally albiet he hardly ever shares it anyway.  But I do care about what he hears the team is thinking.  That to me is relevant.   

Fiction and Non-Fiction on NFL's Air Raid

Kliff Kingsbury adapted the Air Raid Offense for the NFL and if he brought it to Chicago as offensive coordinator it would require changes to be made.

...Matt Eberflus went out to Arizona to interview former Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury for the vacant offensive coordinator job on Friday, much to the chagrin of some Bears fans and delight of others.

Kingsbury is associated with what some consider a wide-open, gimmicky style of attack known as the Air Raid offense. There are many myths about the offensive style, but what he ran in the NFL was different than the old Air Raid.

It's really not that gimmicky and the way Kingsbury modified it for the NFL, it sometimes looks like any other modern spread style of attack in many ways.

Kingsbury had actually modified it while coaching Texas Tech when his QB was Patrick Mahomes so that it was more pro-oriented.

The goal of the offense is to spread out the defenders and get the quarterback to face man-to-man coverage while picking out favorable matchups.

One of the key tools in the passing game is the shallow cross with receivers running underneath zones or beating man coverage short as they run cross routes a few yards past the line of scrimmage.

If they're facing zone, there are specific ways to attack this with the passing game as well. It's known for an ability to attack cover-2 zone as well as man coverage.

Here are myths and realities about the Kingsbury offense, a pro version of Air Raid.

Myth: Teams Using This Offense Don't Run the Ball

Reality: The Cardinals did run the ball plenty.

Arizona ranked 19th in rushing attempts wth 396 the first year Kingsbury used the offense. They had been 28th in attempts the year before he arrived.. He adjusted the offense and also personnel improved to fit the attack more for the NFL by Year 2, the 2020 season. They ran the ball the sixth-most times in the league (479) then. In 2021 they ran it the seventh-most times (496).

Myth: Air Raid Teams Might Try But Can't Run

Reality: When the Cardinals were sixth in attempts they were seventh in yards rushing with 2,237 in 2020. When they were seventh in attempts in 2021 they were 10th in yards rushing. The effectiveness of their rushing attempts depended more on personnel. The year before they switched to Kingsbury's offense, the Cardinals were last in rushing.

Myth: Kingsbury as Coordinator Means Justin Fields is Traded

Reality: The assumption is if they hire Kingsbury, they'll be drafting Caleb Williams and trading Fields. That most likely would be the case but it doesn't have to be. Fields doesn't have Williams' experience in the offense but because of his speed he could be a better runner in this offense with defenders spread out more. Also, with opponents in a man-to-man defense more, their backs are turned to the running QB. So he has a head start more often. The Cardinals used this offense with Kyler Murray as one of their rushing leaders each season.

Still, it is more than likely to mean Williams will be Bears QB because Williams has run this offense since before Kingsbury was at USC as an advisor last year. He ran it at Oklahoma and at USC under coach Lincoln Riley.

Myth: Air-Raid Running Backs Are Useless

Reality: Actually, if you're not versatile in the Air Raid and you're a running back then you are useless. The back becomes a receiver or blocker even more often than in a conventional attack. They can split out to a wide receiver spot or run routes out of the backfield.

Myth: Tight Ends Really Are Useless in the Air Raid

Reality: Hardly.

The assumption is they'd be running four-receiver or five-receiver sets all the time. That might be true often but one of those receivers could be the tight end. In Luke Getsy's two seasons with the Bears offense, they targeted tight ends 82 times and 112 times. When Kingsbury took over, the Cardinals threw to tight ends only 56 times in 2019. That had more to do with their personnel than the position. The tight ends were Charles Clay, Maxx Williams, Dan Arnold and Darrell Daniels. They got Zach Ertz and after that threw it a total of 115, 108 and 86 times to tight ends in three seasons.

Myth: Offensive Linemen Must Be Wide Bodies as Pass Blockers

Reality: Being big can be important. They do need to move, though. There is double-teaming, a power-blocking scheme. There just isn't the wide run to the outside all the time with linemen taking the bucket step and then sliding down the line of scrimmage. All the running comes between the A-gap or the back choosing to cut off that to the B-gap. It's more between the tackles and not much time for moving linemen around. So in the future, Bears offensive linemen drafted or brought into camp might have to put the weight back on the way they were before Getsy was offensive coordinator.

Myth: Air Raid Means the Bears Need to Change the Receiving Corps

Reality: They do have to change it but not because they would be using Kingsbury's offense. When DJ Moore had more targets than all of the rest of their wide receivers for the entire season combined, something has to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't care about Keim's opinion generally albiet he hardly ever shares it anyway.

And when he does, he clearly states it's his opinion and it should be taken as such. Keim is a rarity these days--he cares more about being right than he does about being first.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I wonder if Joe Gibbs had anything to do with the hiring of Coaches.  Joe always had plenty of former head coaches as coordinators. He was spotted sitting in Harris's booth recently. Just thought I would throw that out.

I know there is a lot of media that wont like Kingsbury and the stats dont lie. The offence was kinda dull sometimes. But what the stats dont show is kyler calling the wrong formations or blocking schemes. The kid had talent but couldnt undestand the concepts. Watch some of the plays from two years ago. Kyler just loved to run. Or when the play broke down he would make the wrong read. You could see the frustration on kingsbury face and in his post game presser. He never threw kyler under the bus when everyone here in phx could see the immaturity of his qb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I wonder if Joe Gibbs had anything to do with the hiring of Coaches.  Joe always had plenty of former head coaches as coordinators. He was spotted sitting in Harris's booth recently. Just thought I would throw that out.

I hope not. Joe Gibbs needs to stay in his rocking race car chair and not attach his name to people like Ron Rivera or whoever. Legends should stay legends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1