Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

51 minutes ago, sinews said:

Some people still seem to think that we had the pick of the litter in HC candidates and Harris/Peters simply dropped the ball. We didn't, and they didn't. 

Quinn is almost certainly the best they could do, especially in terms of someone with a track record and experience. That stuff matters for a brand new FO running their own show. Gonna let it play out and hope for the best. Still a lot needs to happen. 

This is probably true to an extent. Quinn is certainly the biggest "name". Best is very subjective and often, in hindsight, many of the best options weren't as obvious at the time. I feel, with hindsight, this will not prove to be the the best option. It is the safe option, however. And the thought that this is the best safe option is still pretty disappointing.

Adam Schefter on Sheehan just now.

Quinn was hot in the running the whole time.  He believes they like that Quinn has previous coaching experience considering the context of the organizations (new GM, etc)

Among these candidates they got more people backing-supporting Quinn than any other candidate with unsolicited calls, people they were surprised to even hear from. An unusual amount of support to quote Schefter.

Ben Johnson after meeting with Seattle he realized that the idea that he wasn't excited or perhaps ready to be a HC.  He suggested that he's the type of personality that might not dig change.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Can't wait to hear who the OC will be....please no to EB

EB still has one year left on his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he is retained to give him another shot. After all he did work with SB winning Mahomes and that still holds some weight.

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

This is probably true to an extent. Quinn is certainly the biggest "name". Best is very subjective and often, in hindsight, many of the best options weren't as obvious at the time. I feel, with hindsight, this will not prove to be the the best option. It is the safe option, however. And the thought that this is the best safe option is still pretty disappointing.

In hindsight, yes, we will know. But at this time, I think it's pretty obvious that for a rookie FO that Quinn makes the most sense–best choice for them. Frankly, I'm not excited by this hire, like many others, but I'm also not ready to completely write off what hasn't even transpired yet. May turn out that it wasn't the best option and all we can hope for is that the FO learns a lesson, unlike Snyder. 

Just now, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Remember the last time we hired a hot coordinator from Dallas? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

norv-turner-head-coach-for-the-washingto

We've whiffed on Dallas coordinators before, and we've whiffed on head coaches who really liked the military. But we haven't whiffed on Dallas coordinators who were head coaches that really liked the military. 😎

• Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I was curious......before Quinn, what happened to the Falcons after Mike Smith had several good seasons with them? Of course Matty Ice was doing well, but under Smith they fell off a cliff for a couple years which led to Quinn getting the HC job there. What contributed to them having those poor seasons?

Which seasons are you referring to?  The Mike Smith seasons or the ones at the end of Quinn's tenure.

If it's the Mike Smith seasons, I think their roster kindof fell apart a bit and frankly I never loved Mike Smith as a coach.  The defenses in 2013 and 2014 were absolutely horrendous.  Which kindof sunk the team.  In 2013, they were 12th in points for and 27th in points against.  The defenses just crumbled.  

I think there were 3 things which contributed to Quinn's lack of success late:

1. Kyle Shanahan is impossible to replace as an OC.  Though, they went to the playoffs the year after he left.  But if you lose one of the best offensive minds in the game, it's going to hurt in some way.

2. The roster deteriorated.  The staff down there didn't do a great job replenishing talent after the SB run, and the roster started be lacking in general.  

3. Matt Ryan got old. He was only OK after Quinn left, and then was traded to Indy, and out of the league shortly thereafter.  

I think another thing to keep in mind, Quinn's records:

2015: 8-8

2016: 11-5 (Lost SB)

2017: 10-6 (Beat the Rams in the playoffs before losing to Philly)

2018: 7-9

2019: 7-9

2020: 0-5 then replaced by Raheem Morris. The defense was an abomination.  They actually scored 25, 39 and 26 points in the first 3 games and lost them all.  

I'm not going to say Quinn is Lombardi or anything.  I'm in complete wait and see mode.  But I don't think the Falcons FO was that hot in the late 2000's, and still isn't that hot.  The last winning season they had was actually Quinn's 2017 season.  Since then:

2018: 7-9

2019: 7-9

2020: 4-12

2021: 7-10

2022: 7-10

2023: 7-10

MAYBE the problem down there was bigger than Quinn?  QB and Roster seem to be an issue.  

I'm not saying he's Lombardi or anything.  Just that some of the over-the-top hate is unwarranted.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

All that fire was drowned and fizzled out in the playoffs game against the Packers just mere weeks ago.....

It's just one game.  A Dallas reporter talked about it a few minutes ago on 980.  They had LB issues all season because of injuries and in that game it came to a head so they had players playing out of position, and had one of the CBs banged up and decided to play a different defense -- heavy zone scheme to try to offset those injuries and it blew up on them.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I just realized I love this hire. It's the best hire ever. Because our new HC's initials are DQ. And that makes me think of 

image.png.3befb95e5bee144cb7df9729a138f14f.png

So yes, I'm totally on board. It's the most delicious hire in Commanders history.

The Washington Blizzard??? You may have stumbled on to something here?

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I hope Quinn is allowed to chose his staff. 

Of course he will.  Who else would choose them?  Why would you even think that he wouldn’t?

He needs to be on the same page as his staff and if they didn’t like his ideas for a staff they probably wouldn’t have hired him.

Just nit-picking here...I hope he wears team colors on the sideline.  I hate when coaches wear black, and it's not even a team color.

(completely irrelevant to any potential team success, just one of the dumb things I think about)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's just one game.  A Dallas reporter talked about it a few minutes ago on 980.  They had LB issues all season because of injuries and in that game it came to a head so they had players playing out of position, and had one of the CBs banged up and decided to play a different defense -- heavy zone scheme to try to offset those injuries and it blew up on them.

He also blew a 28-3 lead in the superbowl.   This is an established pattern with him in the biggest moments.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Hopefully the Peters connection to the Kubiaks outweigh the possibility of bringing in Kelly. Do not want.

Chip signed an extension with UCLA through 2027. He gets over 6 mil per year there. Why would he leave to be a OC? He’s probably going to get fired from UCLA after this season. It would make sense then but not now. 

Welp...it's a hire.  That's about the best I can say about this.  An incredible yawn of a hire.  Quite the letdown after an exciting start by Harris.  

For people that say if we trust Peters, we should trust them on this hire, I say this:  We trust his talent evaluation.  It's what he's known for.  A coaching evaluation is an entirely different skillset.  And this one - at the present moment - is as much of a yawner as you can possibly get.  And we also have in the HC evaluation group a former ho-hum GM from Minnesota, an owner who has never been an NFL owner, and a dude who was a great FO man...in basketball.  I'm not saying these guys won't get it right.  I want to be clear about that.  However, there's no way any doubters should be frowned upon for not exactly implicitly trusting this committee after this search.

Hopefully, Quinn can hire a big time staff (if there's anyone left).  And the most important hire will be the OC and QB coach.  If he gets less than great at these positions, especially OC, we're in big trouble, as is the probable new QB we're about to take second overall.  

Quinn (fair to him or not) will have an unbelievable amount of pressure thrust upon him by this fanbase vs. a first time HC.  He's stepping into a hornet's nest of a fanbase that has suffered retreads, and will give him about a 6 game honeymoon, circumstances be damned.   Just the way it is.   He better turn this team around pronto, or home games will remain a very hostile environment for the home team.   Possibly worse than ever.  That goes for Harris, too.  I truly hope those men are aware of this. 

Fans need and deserve (after decades of punishment) some hard answers at the presser.  We need to know what Quinn thinks happened in Atlanta to come away with a .500 record with tons of talent and why things will be different this time.  What has he learned to make him a better coach this time around?  And Harris and/or Peters needs to address why they believe Quinn will be better here.   That's not too much to ask.  Heck, it's routine in this circumstance.  

My gut tells me Quinn will be a 1 contract HC and we'll be right back to our search in 4-5 years.  (Maybe that is just my PTSD talking.  It's possible.)  I think at best he's a guy who will do what Ron was supposed to do in being a large factor in establishing a solid foundation for the next Head Coach to take all the way.  I have very little faith and next to no expectation that Quinn will be a driving factor in us returning to consistent championship calibre heights the way Harris predicted.  I will root for him hard (I have absolutely zero animosity towards him.  By all accounts, he's a truly great human being.).  He better nail his OC hire and he better damn well figure out a way to get his defense to be able to compete against a Shannahan style offense, which we're likely to run up against should we make the playoffs eventually, because he got his ass handed to him by such an offense twice this past season.  Once in the playoffs.  

I can't consciously decide to be jazzed about this hire or to blindly trust the HC evaluation skills of the new ownership group.  (I don't mistrust, but I am now highly skeptical of them when it comes to this set of skills.)  Only major success on the field will turn that around.  I'd love to be stoked about the next few years but I just can't be.  Not now.  I love this ownership group to death and am praying they prove my gut to be wrong (as Dan never did).  I want nothing more to be proven wrong, and I hope we now have our Pete Caroll, Andy Reid, etc. type of retread HC turned SB championship-worthy coach.  I abhor the thought of ruining yet another QB and having to get back on the QB and HC carousel four years from now.

Quinn and Ownership have now set themselves upon a very short honeymoon.

• Thanks 1