Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We’ve all be drawn in to a degree on the ability of these coaches, very difficult to judge if they were ‘right’ to tackle this challenge as this moment in time. Will be interesting to see how Macdonald goes in SEA.

Plenty to consider, but as a minimum our new HC has to grab hold of that locker room and drag it forward years….in a short space of time….

I am just not big on quiet dudes as HCs where people question their motivational skills.  I was already borderline with Ben Johnson on that front and the way it played out with him soured me on it more.

I am not into a HC is basically still a coordinator mostly but with a bigger title because few of them actually stick with the play calling so their personalites loom large to their ability.  I think its ironic that one of the things that Quinn apparently learned that he will use in his 2nd stint was delgating the defense was a mistake.  He was known for his defensive chops in Seattle and then again i Dallas but as a HC he didn't call plays and that unit suffered.  But in his defense many of therse guys find they have too much in their plate to still call plays.

Some here are big on Weaver.  I am ok with it.   He ran the defense one year, the unit ranking was dead last on points, he never got a defensive coordonator job again this far.  But I notice some on twitter talk him up by giving him credit for defensive rankings when he was an assistant coach when he wasn't calling the defense.  That hits me silly.  Yet, I am OK with him as a candidate because supposedly his drill isn't X's and O's but leadership.  And maybe the bad year as a coordinator was a one off?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 hours ago, PigskinPhat said:

Dan Quinn was coach of the Falcons for 5 years and got fired! End of story! You willing to spend another 5 years going nowhere, get Dan Quinn!

Exactly!!!! No need to beat a dead horse.  He also had Matt Ryan at QB so he didn't have some bum. 

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Some random Lions podcast. Seemed like a couple of fanboys. Most likely the Johnson camp trying to change the narrative.

If that is the most credible source that has actually reported that, I'll believe Keim when he said no offer has been made. I also don't think we made an offer to BJ before meeting him a second time (and actually the first time in person). That does not seem credible at all.

• Like 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure it was reported a few weeks back that GMAP was *not* going to be the sole decision maker on HC, yet more than a few in this thread are laying it all at his feet. This was always going to be a brain trust thing. So yes, maybe too many cooks and all that but this isn't solely on Peters. He probably gave his input/wish and then left it up to HOG to make the final call, if I had to guess and considering he's already at the Senior Bowl. 

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Peters basically walked in the room and said I’m all yours. Easy

Well, yeah but that's my point, they didn't say we gotta do our diligence and have somebody else scoop him up or give him time to ponder.

That's what can happen when you're not aggressive enough.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Well, yeah but that's my point, they didn't say we gotta do our diligence and have somebody else scoop him up or give him time to ponder.

That's what can happen when you're not aggressive enough.

Keim addressed this a while back. They knew they wanted Peters. He was the runaway favorite. There wasn’t the prohibitive number one choice in the coaching search. That’s the difference 

• Like 3

My gut is we didn't miss out on Ben Johnson (with the power of hindsight) and Slowik doesn't appeal to me that much.

But I do think we missed out with MacDonald.  Will see.  😢

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Keim addressed this a while back. They knew they wanted Peters. He was the runaway favorite. There wasn’t the prohibitive number one choice in the coaching search. That’s the difference 

Yeah he doubled down on that last night.  They aren't in a panic about any of these because they were torn between multiple candidates.  I know some fans don't agree with them on that but I gather they don't care.

My only criticism of them is for example listening to the rap on MacDonald seems to be.  He loved Seattle and it was clear that Seattle really really loved him.  Washington seems to be coming off like we love multiple guys, we don't just have eyes for you.  And maybe there is a small chance that it was part of the soup for MacDonald wanting Seattle because maybe they came off much more into him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I agree, I addressed that in my first post.

The only thing maybe we could have done better is try get a better read on johnson in the virtual meeting but that's total speculation on my part.

My original point was my disdain for the "we were just being patient and doing our diligence" excuses. 

That's just not the case and if it is, it's the reason we're in this mess.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut is we didn't miss out on Ben Johnson (with the power of hindsight) and Slowik doesn't appeal to me that much.

But I do think we missed out with MacDonald.  Will see.  😢

6 shoeboxes of receipts might make you an above average coordinator but it sure as heck doesn’t guarantee you a leader of men.  Silly take by Mr Soran..  As you say, we will see.

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I agree, I addressed that in my first post.

The only thing maybe we could have done better is try get a better read on johnson in the virtual meeting but that's total speculation on my part.

My original point was my disdain for the "we were just being patient and doing our diligence" excuses. 

That's just not the case and if it is, it's the reason we're in this mess.

I think its a mess with fans.  So the question is do they care about that or not?  Maybe they should?

But as to their process, doesn't feel like a mess at all because they genuinely seem to dig multiple candidates.

Specific to Quinn, it was mentioned weeks ago that they were hot about him.  Now some (not you) seem to think that was made up and that never happened.  But lol if you read this thread from weeks back we mentioned over and over again we kept hearing they were into him. 

As I've mentioned before Johnson and McDonald bowed out it felt like judging by buzz especially from Keim.  1. Johnson.  2.  Quinn. 3.  McDonald.

My guess is the delay right now might be that Weaver came on strong in his 2nd interview so they are waffiling between the two.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

This is kinda bordering on ridiculous now tbh. We need a freaking coach. There is no perfect candidate. If you like Quinn just hire him. 

Keim said he got the impression from the start of the week, the decision would be made today or tomorrow.  Hopefully he's right.

Especially if I were Quinn, I'd hold a grudge if they kept this dangiling.  

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim said he got the impression from the start of the week, the decision would be made today or tomorrow.  Hopefully he's right.

Yeah if its going to be Quinn we should know before this weekend, if not its not a warm fuzzy as far as Quinn's view on the process, cements the second fiddle feeling.

Announcement today of Quinn hire? Put this all to rest. They weren't going to do it yesterday after Seattle hired Macdonald. Then we can all move on and start obsessing over OC, QB coach, etc, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It has to be today so you can set up a press conference for tomorrow. Otherwise have to wait till after the Super Bowl.

I expect something to happen today. It may not be a good thing, but it will be a thing. Seattle had literally never met Macdonald before Tuesday (they somehow failed to submit a prior interview request for him) and he was hired 24 hours later on Wednesday after "first contact". Because of NFL interview rules, it's very difficult to hire a coach before the divisional round is over. You can only start in person interviews after that round, unless the person is outside the NFL. So to actually met people and comply with the Rooney Rule, you don't typically see hirings before then (except with the Patriots and Raiders who promoted from within). The Titans hired Callahan on January 22. The Chargers hired Harbaugh on January 24. Atlanta hired Morris on January 25. Ditto for Carolina and Canales. Point being, it didn't take long for these other teams to decide and make a move. Like a day or two. What exactly Washington is doing, no one knows. But it's basically the complete opposite of the rest of the NFL. By my count this team mean TWICE with Slowik, Glenn, Macdonald, Quinn, Weaver, Morris, and attempted the same with Johnson. And still seems unable to make a decision. Which suggests it either hates all options or can't make one. But, to save face, it'll choose something soon.

If they would have made a hire prior to Ben Johnson being available, this place would have rioted.  Ben Johnson could and should have been candidate #1.  The teams that hired offensive guys earlier knew they had no chance at him.  Full due diligence requires you wait until your top target is available.  

Macdonald apparently had his sights set on Seattle.  It’s a damning reality for us.  I cannot blame Peters or Harris or anyone else for where our org sits today.  They can sell a dream, a realistic one at that - but much of what they can promise won’t come to fruition for years.  Years for an NFL coach are like dog years.

The fact of the matter is we likely need a guy like Quinn, a respected, grizzled vet to steward this team through this period and turn us into a more attractive option down the line.  Sad, but true.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

Just throwing this out there - is it possible there is someone on the Chiefs or especially the 49ers that has been their main target all along but they have kept it quiet? Adam coming from SF that seems very likely there is an under the radar candidate he really likes and wants. And they did thier due dilligance with the othre candidates but really want this under the radar person. 

Just feels like there is a lot we fans do not know, which is normal. Not worried either way. It will be taken care of soon. Then the real hand wringing by fans can start!  LOL 

image.png.0fda087f35103cad10b0c5aaa8e64a40.png

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, goskins10 said:

Just throwing this out there - is it possible there is someone on the Chiefs or especially the 49ers that has been their main target all along but they have kept it quiet?

I thought about this and scoured the org charts of both teams and just don’t see who that could be.  I def see whoever we hire as coach poaching from those teams for coordinator and staff positions.  But head coach, I don’t see it - perhaps Wilks, but meh.

• Like 1

Just now, goskins10 said:

Just throwing this out there - is it possible there is someone on the Chiefs or especially the 49ers that has been their main target all along but they have kept it quiet? Adam coming from SF that seems very likely there is an under the radar candidate he really likes and wants. And they did thier due dilligance with the othre candidates but really want this under the radar person. 

Just feels like there is a lot we fans do not know, which is normal. Not worried either way. It will be taken care of soon. Then the real hand wringing by fans can start!  LOL 

image.png.0fda087f35103cad10b0c5aaa8e64a40.png

I seriously doubt it since they didn't request interviews for anyone from either staff. They may scramble now to make it happen but the Ben Johnson flakeout made us botch this process.