Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

24 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree.  But MartinC wouldn't you have thought that the advisory team, which it seems to me putting all their eggs in one basket with Johnson would have done their homework, day and night to have a HC coaching draft list, per say, like a draft list of potential HCs that fit the leadership mold and what they were looking for rather than not. 

Right now, it seems like they either don't have that list, or they can't make a decision.  Are there too many cooks in the kitchen?  

I will provide my answer - No, fans are impatient. They defnitely had a list. They are doing thier due dilligence. A search like this is not like deciding if you want fires or not. This is the leader of thier team. I would much prefer this then to go out and just hire someone, like I think a few of the teams not in the running for the top guys have done - see Carolina. 

It's literally only 3 days since the Conference games. Johnson deciding to stay in Detroit was likely a surprise but that does not mean they do not have a plan and are not working dilligently to make a decision. And I am sure they are in contact with the serious condidates and if tthey felt they had to make a decision sooner they would.

Outside fans impatience there is no reason to rush the most important decision they will make as a team. Trust the process. This is not dan strugglingto find a sucker. This is a ideal landing spot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'd rather let this team draw up plays on the ground than have Quinn as the HC. Does that sound Petti Labelle? Yes and I couldn't give a **** less.

Choked on his one SB appearance, choked less than a month ago in the playoffs.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Position coaches are getting jobs all over the league right now. I am not saying we should panic. But they need to get this done sooner than later. 

That's the issue with not getting Johnson. Whoever we do end up with is going to be putting together a staff with either the leftovers of the NFL or whatever is left of Rivera's staff.

I could care less that someone has a connection to Dallas except I feel like every Dallas coach actually has a different job than the one assigned to them. That team is run from the owner's suite. McCarthy is a souped up corrdinator. His coordinators are souped-up position coaches. And so on and so forth.

It's just not a place where someone develops an autonomous personality.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 4

That didn't take long.... Wikipedia already calls Mike McDonald "the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.."

``

It looks like we'll have a head coach with a background in defense, which again begs the question who do they get as an OC?

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Al Harris has been doing a great job for the Pukes. If it’s Quinn, I’d consider Harris to join the staff.

Yes. I like Quinn. The guy is a hell of a coach. And hiring him weakens our biggest rival. It also gives us in advantage when poaching their players in free agency. Someone like Tyler Biadasz or Fowler would be more likely to come play for him. My biggest issue with a defensive head coach is what is his plan for the rookie QB and also what are his expectations for draft capitol on the defensive side of the ball. We have wasted way too much capitol on defense imo. And he is going to want more top round players to make his system work.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I understand that Quinn is the uninspired choice, to say the least, but it does make sense for an ownership group and GM who are new to the game as far as running their own show. It's safe, unexciting, whatever. But that's also why I'm choosing to remain agnostic on Quinn, if it's him.

Not blindly following or trusting Harris/Peters but I do think they deserve the benefit of the doubt–for now, and perhaps only for this offseason. We'll know a lot more this time next year about how this shakes out. It's the unpopular take but I'm just going with it, whoever the choice. They need to prove it one way or the other before I come crashing down on things. 

I must admit, this is a new low for this fanbase.  Perhaps it’s still just the lingering effects of being abused for so long.

But it’s laughable to watch some of you guys jump off a cliff, because you think that you know better than the guys doing the interviewing.  Guys who have literally been part of so much success, not just some regular dudes.

And I say this as a guy who is disappointed with how this has all shaken out.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. I like Quinn. The guy is a hell of a coach. And hiring him weakens our biggest rival. It also gives us in advantage when poaching their players in free agency. Someone like Tyler Biadasz or Fowler would be more likely to come play for him. My biggest issue with a defensive head coach is what is his plan for the rookie QB and also what are his expectations for draft capitol on the defensive side of the ball. We have wasted way too much capitol on defense imo. And he is going to want more top round players to make his system work.

I'm not worried about the draft capitol aspect. GMAP is in charge of building the roster and will allocate resources appropriately.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Veretax said:

We need tos top being gloomers.  So what if we didn't get who the media thought we'd pick.  Who cares what they think?

Here's the reality:

This team was historically bad on Defense
We struggled on offense due to the slow growth of Howell, a lack of a Run Game, and pass block break downs.

Even though we fixed some of the blocking issues, that doesn't mean it is solved.   We have a lot of spots to fill in the offseason.  This team feels like it needs a tossing, and it may be that we need 2-3 years to really get back to being a solid team.  We might need more than one BAD year in a row.  So if that's the case, and we end up with a brief caretaker even if it means finding another coach in 2-3 years so what?

We are overselling ourselves. 

We always overvalue our talent.

We have multiple players who are not resigned for next year who may not be signed back

If this team doesn't land the elite talent they hoped for, in part because there wasn't an elite on the market, that is not the owner or Peters fault.  So if they come to that realization.  They still need to hire a Head Coach, they need a leader, and they need someone that may develop assistants, and that will make sure players are developed too.  TO me those are the key issues.  I wouldn't care if they Hired a hamster if he can lead and develop his team and staff.

Everything you say here can be mostly true and we can still be disappointed. It’s a disappointing end to the process. If you want to pretend that a month ago you had stars in your eyes for Dan Quinn, go ahead. No fanbase in the NFL feels that way. He can still be a stud here and build a winner. It doesn’t mean it’s not disappointing on January 31, 2024. 

• Like 1

On BMitch and Finlay they mentioned the Anthony Weaver interview went on for 6 hours and that for it to go on that long could mean something.

I look at as diliberate, thorough and due diligence, taking their time to get to know all people they interview.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I must admit, this is a new low for this fanbase.  Perhaps it’s still just the lingering effects of being abused for so long.

But it’s laughable to watch some of you guys jump off a cliff, because you think that you know better than the guys doing the interviewing.  Guys who have literally been part of so much success, not just some regular dudes.

Yeah its disappointing but to say things like "this is Snyder all over again" is just silly.

Fact is, we did NOTHING wrong in this situation. NOBODY saw Johnson crawling his way back to Detroit. He took zoom interviews with us and multiple other teams and then took in person interviews with us and Seattle. He interviewed with Seattle and then literally last minute(actually beyond last minute) he bailed on us. NOBODY saw it coming. To put this on GMAP and the HOG is absurd.

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

On BMitch and Finlay they mentioned the Anthony Weaver interview went on for 6 hours and that for it to go on that long could mean something.

I look at as diliberate, thorough and due diligence, taking their time to get to know all people they interview.

At this point I'd actually be happy with Weaver. Or Aaron Glenn. If we're gonna go defensive, go for a young up and comer and swing for the fences.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think the disappointment with Johnson is twofold.

One, the team clearly seemed to be waiting for him. And then he decided to stay in his old gig. That means something was not communicated or the team badly misread the situation. As a fan. I didn't want this new group to look anything less than 100 percent competent in this hiring process. And they failed that test in a fairly meaningful way.

Two, we're now at the point where the game of musical chairs is not only over for head coaches but for all the coordinators. It feels like every position is now going to be filled by someone that no one else wanted.

Granted, this is all perception and winning cures all. But I wanted the triumphant press conference with the hot young coordinator everyone coveted. You know, like real teams do.

I am not so clear that they were waiting for Johnson only. But they liked him and needed the interview to make a decision. I think the media is the culprit and he was a favorite of many fans. A big letdown for many but it was not written in stone. There is still a good chance for a triumphant press conference because he was not everybody's pick. May not be so for me if they pick Quinn. I want no part of another area with a Dallas coach like the last time. But I can live with it also.

THere have been several coaches who choked in a super bowl and later won.  Note among them includes the Chiefs HC: Andy Reid

• Bill Belichick (although I doubt he takes a 2nd team to a victory just because of history)
  • Pete Carol (see Belichick)
  • Tony Dungy (Bucs then Colts)
  • JohnG ruden (Raiders then Bucs)
  • Dick Vermeil (Lost with Phily in 1980, Won in st Louis in 99)
  • Don Shula lost to the Jets, and Cowboys before winning 2 with the Dolphins.
  • Tom Landry (Lost with the Cowboys to the Colts, before winning the next year)
  • Bill Cowher lost to the Cowboys before WInning over the Mike Holmgren Seaahawks.
  • Sean McVay lost to the Chiefs before winning over the Bengals a few years later.

So let's not presume that a loss in the super bowl necessarily means no chance in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Position coaches are getting jobs all over the league right now. I am not saying we should panic. But they need to get this done sooner than later. 

The guys who pitched themselves to our search committee all have staffing laid out and ready to go. These guys operate on handshake deals when they’re going for HC jobs, but whoever we hire is going to have people lined up. Especially if it’s Quinn (who it seems to be). So our assistants aren’t taking other jobs imo, they’re pretty much figured out. Maybe we’ll interview for some of them 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah its disappointing but to say things like "this is Snyder all over again" is just silly.

Fact is, we did NOTHING wrong in this situation. NOBODY saw Johnson crawling his way back to Detroit. He took zoom interviews with us and multiple other teams and then took in person interviews with us and Seattle. He interviewed with Seattle and then literally last minute(actually beyond last minute) he bailed on us. NOBODY saw it coming. To put this on GMAP and the HOG is absurd.

At this point I'd actually be happy with Weaver. Or Aaron Glenn. If we're gonna go defensive, go for a young up and comer and swing for the fences.

You do know that the difference in age between Quinn and Glenn is about two years, right?

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think nearly everyone expressing disappointed have literally said that this is not the end of the world.

But, again, I was hoping for something that felt "triumphant" out of this process. Presenting the defensive coordinator of out biggest rival who was de-pantsed on national tv three weeks ago is not the triumph I wanted. It just feels like a White Elephant party and we ended up with the soap someone bought at Target.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Veretax said:

THere have been several coaches who choked in a super bowl and later won.  Note among them includes the Chiefs HC: Andy Reid

• Bill Belichick (although I doubt he takes a 2nd team to a victory just because of history)
  • Pete Carol (see Belichick)
  • Tony Dungy (Bucs then Colts)
  • JohnG ruden (Raiders then Bucs)
  • Dick Vermeil (Lost with Phily in 1980, Won in st Louis in 99)
  • Don Shula lost to the Jets, and Cowboys before winning 2 with the Dolphins.
  • Tom Landry (Lost with the Cowboys to the Colts, before winning the next year)
  • Bill Cowher lost to the Cowboys before WInning over the Mike Holmgren Seaahawks.
  • Sean McVay lost to the Chiefs before winning over the Bengals a few years later.

So let's not presume that a loss in the super bowl necessarily means no chance in the future.

Gruden beat the Raiders with the Bucs, he wasn't the HC of the Raiders.

Also, most of those guys lost a Super Bowl before winning one later with their same team. They weren't retreads.

The retreads that lost with their original team and then won with a new team: Bellicheck, Carroll, Dungy, Vermeil, and Reid.

Three defensive guys, two offensive guys FWIW. But all of them ended up with HOF caliber QBs on their 2nd team: Brady, Wilson, Manning, Warner, and Mahomes.

So I guess, if Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels are THAT good, then we can win with a defensive coach....

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

You do know that the difference in age between Quinn and Glenn is about two years, right?

Yeah I just looked up and didn't realize Glenn was over 50. Yeesh. Nevermind on him then.

Weaver is my pick now.