Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A.  Seattle is annoying for surprisingly canning Carroll and entering the coaching chase.

B.  The above lacked class.

C.  I think they only do this because they have someone, likely Johnson, that they desperately want.

Hopefully, Johnson doesn’t get the warm and fuzzies based on how they kicked the coach who delivered a Super Bowl to the curb.  I also have to think that selecting a rookie QB at #2 is more enticing than inheriting Geno Smith.

I didn't think they "canned" Carroll. I thought he somewhat retired/stepped down and was going to take a front office position to help the team. One would think they would have offered the job to the OC to keep continuity and scheme. 

1 minute ago, VRIEL1 said:

I didn't think they "canned" Carroll. I thought he somewhat retired/stepped down and was going to take a front office position to help the team. One would think they would have offered the job to the OC to keep continuity and scheme. 

He was 100% given a choice with one option being worse than the other. Rather than leave entirely (at this moment) he chose the more palatable one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This is from 2 years ago but still a good watch - Mike Macdonald mic'd up

This is the guy someone has said is quiet? He does not seem quiet AT ALL here lol!

I like where he says, "You're a dog, be a dog."  😆  If he makes it to Seattle then of course it opens the door that much more for Ben Johnson.  

Anyone concerned about the lack of discipline displayed repeatedly by the Ravens? It was so obvious, it seemed an intentional choice to intimidate and effect Mahomes. Not sure if it came from the HC, DC, line coach, or purely player driven, but the fact that Macdonald didn’t get it under control reflects negatively on his leadership and gives me serious pause as far as his HC potential.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

Anyone concerned about the lack of discipline displayed repeatedly by the Ravens? It was so obvious, it seemed an intentional choice to intimidate and effect Mahomes. Not sure if it came from the HC, DC, line coach, or purely player driven, but the fact that Macdonald didn’t get it under control reflects negatively on his leadership and gives me serious pause as far as his HC potential.

I don't know man, at some point, professional football players need to be professional football players. There is only so much a coach can do. 

After a slow start, the Ravens D absolutely balled out. They stuck to the Chiefs receivers in coverage and got real good pressure on Mahomes. THAT is some great coaching. 

Macdonald essentially is to defense what Johnson is to offense. Either one we hire we're getting a brilliant tactical mind. The only reason I'm leaning Johnson is because in today's NFL you want that offensive playcaller as your HC so he doesn't get poached away and having an offensive coach is better for the development of a young QB. Look at Herbert, he's had a bunch of different OCs already because they keep hiring defensive coaches.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Exactly.

This fanbase needs hope in the worst way.  A single flame now burns thanks to the new owner and Peters. But it will not turn into a fire if Quinn is the hire.   He will not put butts in seats, and I feel like a huge contingent of this fanbase will be viewing that hire as a Snyderesque hire.  The dude had his shot relatively recently and had one good year.  And that's with a franchise QB and Kyle as his OC.

There's only one guy I vehemently do not want as the HC hire and that's Quinn.  It'll be 5 years of coming short and then another coaching search will begin.  NO RETREADS.

Later tonight when our humiliation is official and Johnson laughs at our ineptness while signing a lucrative contract with the SeaHawks we should all march to Commanders Park with pitchforks and torches ablaze chanting...

image.png.369e5ecb57dea60c9e685fdff9e77a3b.png

"No FIRE, if Quinn's the HIRE!"

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Huh? Mahomes and the Chiefs offense basically did nothing the second half of the game. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Huh? Mahomes and the Chiefs offense basically did nothing the second half of the game. 

Yeah for real. Macdonald did an awesome job coaching. I'm not gonna blame him because veterans like Van Noy and Clowney just completely lost it in the heat of battle.

You hold the 2nd best QB EVER to just 17 points in the playoffs you deserve to win.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Andy Reid seemed to be calling the game to keep the lead and run out the clock. I have no doubts that if the Ravens came out in the 2nd half scoring TD's Mahomes and crew would have had no issues keeping up. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

MacDonald with the right OC could turn into the best long term decision we make.

As a Jayden Daniels fan there may be another benefit too:

Johnson as a lifelong Tarheel player and fan may find it especially difficult to select someone other than Maye with our second overall pick.

Whereas Big Mac may be more receptive to a dual threat option because he knows how difficult it is to defend against one.

• Thanks 2

Entertaining the possibility that we don’t get Johnson (I still think we do) the best choice is Slowik. However, I haven’t heard him linked to us at all.

Neither Mac or Quinn move the needle for me. In fact, they’d be incredibly lackluster. And, it’s irrational but it’s a real fear: I’m weary that one of them may keep Bienemy on staff to call the offense and I’m not sure I can handle that. But that’s not part of why I don’t want Mac or Quinn.

I wouldn’t necessarily be out on the team with Mac. But Quinn? Does absolutely nothing for me. 

And I think this regime should really, really take a hard anti-Cowboy stance for the foreseeable future. 

We’ll see what happens.

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

MacDonald with the right OC could turn into the best long term decision we make.

Johnson as a lifelong Tarheel player and fan may find it especially difficult to select someone other than Maye with our second overall pick.

Whereas Big Mac may be more receptive to a dual threat option because he knows how difficult it is to defend against one.

I gotta disagree. Any defensive coach is a downside to our team and our new QB. If we do well, our OC is gone soon and the QB starts over.

Our hire needs to be offensive. That or get an OC that no one would want but that feels like setting ourselves up to fail.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

This is a great point- it Will be hard to separate bias if Johnson is the coach. Hopefully, if GMAP doesn’t believe in Maye he vetoes it.

So we’re to the point in the cycle where we are now coming to grips with our coach so that the team has a better chance to draft our personal favorite quarterback?

I’m numb.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I typically go by the old "a preponderance of the evidence" deal when analyzing but singular data points can deserve careful consideration, and yeah, I'm surprised the HC or DC didn't or couldn't settle that stuff down once several obvious incidents of costly excess occured.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

It'll certainly be an entertaining week full of conspiracies.  LOL

It really could be optics for our interviewing team that doesn't want to give the league any reason for punishment and not going through the correct hiring process....i.e. Rooney Rule.

We shall see....

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

It'll certainly be an entertaining week full of conspiracies.  LOL

It really could be optics for our interviewing team that doesn't want to give the league any reason for punishment and not going through the correct hiring process....i.e. Rooney Rule.

We shall see....

I mean, they could have satisfied the Rooney Rule earlier. The Seahawks did. If they wanted to hire Ben Johnson today they could, we can't because we still haven't satisfied it though we had ample time to if Ben Johnson was our guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

If Johnson is willing to take Seattle’s job before ever even taking his in-person meeting with our crew, then he probably isn’t the candidate we wanted anyways. If he takes the meeting and then chooses Seattle, I’ll have no saltiness at all. Good for him, in that case we may not even know if he was our first choice or not. But if he takes the Seattle HC job immediately, that’s a red flag imo for a guy who has been very selective about his opportunities and interviews. 

I don’t expect it to go down like that. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If Johnson goes to Seattle then so be it. I think it's a mistake given the shape they are in. They have a better foundation of players for sure. However, the key things a new HC would want are in question: 

Draft - Position is 16th and missing thier Rd 2 pick. They do have 2 3rds

QB - They have Geno Smith  He has played decent but no one is going to confuse him for a top level starter. No real resosources to get a different starter. 

Cap Space - Right now the rule of 51 for the league year of 2024 has them $4.5M over the cap - meaning they need to shed some cap before the new season starts. 

Also, there are questions about the long term ownership of Seattle while here it is known. He will be able to pretty do what he wants here. #2 pick in the draft, the most CAP space in the NFL, and a new owner that is very motivated to be successfull and is willing to do what it takes. 

Just not seeing how Seattle is a better spot. So if it is a better spot for him, then we never had a chance and he was just playing them. Otherwise he will make sure to do the interview with Harris, Peters and Co before making a decision. If he doesn't then it is what it is. Or if he does the in person with Wash and still picks Seatltle, then again, it is what it is. Not losing any sleep over it.

The consolation prize should b McDonald which to me is just about a wash. Only down side for McDanoald is you likely lose your OC every few years if you are successful. But that is a good problem to have. 

The only outcome that will be truly dissapointing to me is if they end up with Dan Quinn. He is a decent HC but will keep us mired in mediocrity. I live in Atlanta and saw what they went through. As a DC? Yes, sign me up! As a HC? Not at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1