Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

The interview is in Detroit. So probably a hotel conference room or similar. It’s not like they are flying him in on a private jet and controlling his departure. 

I heard the Seattle interview is at the airport Starbucks. Commanders interview is at the 4 star MGM Grand Detroit Resort.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

So we hire Ben Johnson - OC is likely Hank Fraley - maybe someone else he's worked with closely that can elevate. But BJ is essentially the OC/play-caller. I'm more interested in DC. 

Is Anthony Weaver someone that would come be our DC? It's probably an upgrade in title since he's "assistant head coach/DL" in Baltimore but here he could call defensive plays. Then again, why would he come here if he can just stay in BAL and replace Macdonald.

Dan Quinn is likely going back to DAL unless he ends up in SEA. In which case Macdonald stays in BAL and Weaver could come here to call plays. Then there's the option of going after Mike Vrabel as DC, but would he come here with possibly better options on the table? Are there many DC roles currently left open? Do we know?

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So we hire Ben Johnson - OC is likely Hank Fraley - maybe someone else he's worked with closely that can elevate. But BJ is essentially the OC/play-caller. I'm more interested in DC. 

Is Anthony Weaver someone that would come be our DC? It's probably an upgrade in title since he's "assistant head coach/DL" in Baltimore but here he could call defensive plays. Then again, why would he come here if he can just stay in BAL and replace Macdonald.

Dan Quinn is likely going back to DAL unless he ends up in SEA. In which case Macdonald stays in BAL and Weaver could come here to call plays. Then there's the option of going after Mike Vrabel as DC, but would he come here with possibly better options on the table? Are there many DC roles currently left open? Do we know?

We have got some great options. This may not be a conventional take, but I think we make a minority hire for sure. Harris specifically said both he and Peters have a strong desire to build a diverse culture in the organisation. He was even astute enough to said ‘he or she’ when discussing candidates.

15 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Fraley is the current OL coach, would like him as our OL coach but no idea if he's qualified to be OC here.

Washington can't hire Fraley as it's OL coach unless either: (1) his contract is up; or (2) Detroit lets him leave for a lateral position. As to the former, I have no idea as to his contract status. As to the latter, Detroit really has no reason to want him to go. Though teams often let coaches leave if they really want to (see Vic Fangio as a recent example).

If neither option above works, Detroit cannot block Fraley from becoming an OC. Johnson would likely be the de facto OC anyhow. So it's an option to bring in a guy you want.

5 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Hope it's Mike MacDonald or Ben Johnson with Ben being my #1

I would be utterly stunned if it's not Johnson. He'll have to totally botch his interview, while Quinn or Mcdonald would have to have dancing girls and light off fireworks. Mcdonald has long been my #2 choice, but I would still be disappointed if it's not Johnson.

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

“Not let him out the building” always makes me laugh. Are we saying teams are committing felony kidnapping? Lolol

It's the "buying a car" type of not letting out of the building lol

38 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

“Not let him out the building” always makes me laugh. Are we saying teams are committing felony kidnapping? Lolol

You'd have to break into the basement of Mortons and ask poor Eddy Royal.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Fraley is the current OL coach, would like him as our OL coach but no idea if he's qualified to be OC here.

My point is he would be out OC, multiple reports have stated he would be the guy Ben brings. Ben is calling the plays he is more than qualified. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It's a figure of speech.

It's just to say we get a firm commitment before he has a chance to look elsewhere and it applies to interviews in Detroit as well.

It's not intended to be taken literally. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conn said:

Ehh, the funny part about it was he wasn’t even saying it to highlight Chase…he was actually using it to juice up the compliment towards the guy who was beating Chase during the replay when he said it. So I don’t think it was really purposeful like that. He just misidentified a washed player for a good one while hyping the OL who had just taken him to the woodshed. More of a narrative technique to paint the stakes as being high and impressive than a calculated attempt to make Chase sound good. 

I’m going to turn this into a conspiracy whether it makes sense or not goddamnit.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

I don't know man. Of course, if MacDonald interviews like a superstar and Ben Johnson lays an egg it changes things. But there is a reason why all these defensive coordinators are being asked what their long-term plan at the OC position is in this interview cycle. GMs are worried what happens when they hit on an OC and that coach gets hired away. It does not seem like they are worried about the defensive coaches in the same way. Defensive performance has been fluctuating so much over the seasons that it is just incredibly hard to get a sustainable edge there. Of course some of that is due to QBs and their massive impact on one side of the ball (you just don't have that for defenses) but you can see how much good offensive minds can get out of even good to above average QBs (Goff, Tua, Purdy, Stafford, even Baker).

I think if you have the chance to get a great offensive mind like Ben Johson who is only 37 years, you have to take that chance. It's imo gives you the clearly better chance of being in contention without requiring a top-5 QB. I understand that leadership capabilities are a really important aspect of the HC position but all other things being equal, that leadership gap would still have to be huge for me to go for a defensive HC over an offensive guy.

Good points, Panninho but it works both ways really.  If you are an OC you better have a good DC and the other way around.  MacDonald could already have an agreement with Greg Roman, OC who worked with Baltimore and had very good success with them and he has ties with Georgia too.  They have some very good schemes and game plans.  On the other hand, Johnson as OC who does he bring in?  Maybe they try to get Quinn as DC.  He is good but fall flat in the playoffs or the big games that count so it works both ways, really.  :)   FO and management has a tough decision to make.  May it be the right one for the organization and fans, long term!  :) 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Make Johnson an offer he cant refuse

Respectfully, hire the best interviewer that is the best leader fort this team going forward.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bantu said:

The presser might be at the end of the week, but I think the deal will be agreed upon by Tuesday night.

John Keim said the same as you.  See his tweet.  I believe him to be more accurate much more so than JP.  JMO.  :)  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You'd have to break into the basement of Mortons and ask poor Eddy Royal.

Off topic but I actually went to High School with Eddie Royal and was sooo hyped when I thought he was coming here lolol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

HC: Ben Johnson

DC/Asst Head Coach: Mike Vrabel

OC: Hank Fraley

This outcome would cause me to be excited all around. I really like Vrabel and believe he'd be a difference maker with our defense. 

This has been stated before but Vrabel most likely would sit out a season to wait for a HC job. Coaches with winning records don’t sit around too long.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on that segment, Seattle interviewing Ben Johnson today in Detriot.  McDonald on Tuesday.

Washington interviewing Weaver, McDonald today.  Then Tuesday morning Quinn, then later Tuesday Johnson and Glenn.

What I find interesting is seeing Myers in SF on tv yesterday and thinking he was keeping an eye on and speaking with Johnson.  Kind of placeholding and lifting him up throwing positive vibes, your word, SIP to Johnson.  Either way I believe Peters, Harris and Washington leadership is ahead of Schnieder in setting up interviews and will have 1st crack at offering and getting the guy they want.  Again, I am a MacDonald guy but of note, Peters was a TE in the day and leans OF so all he probably pushes O, but I am hoping that all of this is who's the best leader for this team.  

54 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I would be utterly stunned if it's not Johnson. He'll have to totally botch his interview, while Quinn or Mcdonald would have to have dancing girls and light off fireworks. Mcdonald has long been my #2 choice, but I would still be disappointed if it's not Johnson.

want to be at their interviews to see dancing girls and fireworks.

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

DC/Asst Head Coach: Mike Vrabel

This outcome would cause me to be excited all around. I really like Vrabel and believe he'd be a difference maker with our defense. 

I agree with most but I will make the replacment of DC with this, if they go with Johnson instead of MacDonald.

DC  Weaver

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1