Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've mentioned here when digesting these head coaching prospects, the one who gave me the most pause as to a leader of men type was Slowik.   It looks like he might be a coordinator left out as to hires this cycle.  Where other offensive coordinators were hired in Tennessee and Carolina.   In both of those cases we read that those FOs were blown away by the interviews.

I figured Slowik would have a fighting chance here with Peters who I gather would know him well.   But at least judging by reports (not Vegas odds), he seems the longest of the long shots as to getting this job.

Now if all of that plays out as it looks, its my one pause about Ben Johnson getting the gig.  I still think he gets it.    And while Ben comes off to me profile wise as more of a leader of men than Slowik.  He also doesn't come off like an off the charts guy on that front.  And that's my concern about Quinn who does have that off the charts rep.  So factor that with this FO seems to be fixated on leadership, I still think Quinn has a fighting chance albiet I am rooting against him. :ols: 

Ben Johnson on the leadership front profile wise struck me as a dude that has a clear vision, values leadership-motivation based on various things he said, supposedly off the charts as a communicator -- but is not the type you run through the wall for.    But for me that's fine.  I am not in the camp that a good HC is simple a dude who was a good coordinator.  And nothing else matters much.  But am also not in the camp that X's and O's don't matter.  I am somewhere in between those two points.  Ben Johnson profile wise threads that needle enough IMO. 

I am back and forth on Quinn not where I've ever been high on him but to the extent where I am OK with it.  But the more i think about it the more uninspired it feels even though Logan Paulsen would be on Cloud Nine if they hired him. 

The high leadership traits like Quinn poses can not overlooked. It is those traits that I am certain got Raheem Morris his new gig. I am crossing my fingers that Johnson poses similar. If not, is there a way a BJ/Quinn combination be created in Washington? 

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Really makes you wonder what other candidates think when reading articles like this. The entire NFL head coach hiring process is bizarre. 

I know, it's not the kind of thing you really want to get out so you can get through the process of interviewing everyone requested.  I mean you don't want it to look like a sham.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, Rapoport just mentioned what Pauline did which is Rivera could be the Cowboys defensive coordinator if he leaves

Basically trading Rivera for Quinn if he comes here.....interesting. 😏

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The high leadership traits like Quinn poses can not overlooked. It is those traits that I am certain got Raheem Morris his new gig. I am crossing my fingers that Johnson poses similar. If not, is there a way a BJ/Quinn combination be created in Washington? 

lol, even though I don't want Quinn.  I probably have highlighted his qualities with more hype than anyone here.  I am aware of his personality.  I keep mentioning it.  I am the one who keeps saying Keim has said multiple times no one candidate has gotten more kudos when he asks around the NFL than Quinn.  i mentioned Logan loving him.

I don't try to screen what I hear to meet my preferences-predispostiions.  I'll say whatever I hear.  And even though Quinn isn't my guy, I think I've put more pro Quinn propaganda on this thread than anyone ironically.  :ols:

So if anyone here is missing his strengths its certainly not me.

Why don't i want Quinn?

A.  I want an offensive guy

B.  I don't want a coach on their 2nd stint.

I've explained why multiple times.   IMHO it won't be a disaster hire.  Judging by here, talk radio, twitter, i think it will be an unpopular hire.  Does popularity matter to a regime that's trying to rebuild fan excitement?  I don't know. 

Why do I want an offensive guy?  It's an offensive driven league.  We are likely going to draft a QB.    Good offensive coodinators tend to get plucked as Hcs elsewhere so they are tough to hold.

What do I prefer a guy who isn't on their 2nd stint?  I'd rather get a young and hungry guy who we can build with.  I am tired of hearing how guys on their 2nd stint didnt put in the time or weren't as hungry as the first time including our most recent HCs. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/28/nfl-head-coach-backgrounds/

If you were to select a team playing from 2002 to 2022 at random and that team ranked in the top five for both offense and defense, there would be a 34 percent chance that team appeared in the Super Bowl that season. If the team you selected was top five in offense and average in defense, the chance drops to 14 percent. Select a team with an average offense and a top five defense and the odds slip even further, to eight percent. Teams that didn’t rank in the top five in either category had less than a one percent chance of participating in a Super Bowl.

It’s not just Super Bowls, either. Offensive-minded head coaches have won 51 percent of their games since 2002, while defensive-minded head coaches have won just 48 percent. Over each of the past three seasons, coaches plucked from the offensive side of the ball have outperformed their defensive counterparts in regular season win rate. Coaches with offensive backgrounds have been more successful in the playoffs, too, winning 51 percent of their postseason games since 2002, compared to 49 percent for coaches from the other side of the ball. If you remove Bill Belichick (with six Super Bowls and a 31-13 playoff record) from the ranks of defensive-minded coaches, the combined playoff win rate for that group drops to 44 percent.

The good news for Washington fans is there remain some promising offensive candidates, including Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson. Johnson teamed with Coach Dan Campbell to assume play-calling responsibilities after Detroit’s 0-8 start in 2021, and the Lions’ offense took off. He was named offensive coordinator in 2022, and this season the Lions’ offense has been one of the league’s most efficient, scoring 2.6 more points than expected per game, the seventh-highest mark.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

By all accounts Johnson is extremely impressive when presenting.  Not because of over the top enthusiasm, but because of his organization, focus, and ability to communicate his ideas (which are brilliant) in a way that others can easily understand.  His impressive game plans and communication skills are what creates a confidence in the team.  He could possibly benefit by having a couple of Ra Ra, get um fired up, type coaches on his staff though.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You also can’t statistically analyze play calling.  It’s impossible.  

Credentials for statement: working in data and analytics for damn near 30 years.  

Same, but not as long. Now I know why I typically like your posts.  It’s why I roll my eyes when folks start regurgitating stats from PFF they have no idea how they were calculated or understand context.  Chicken metrics…

Math can tell you anything you want it too.  Relativity is my favorite! Freaky stuff!

• Like 1

How much of a disadvantage does it put us waiting to hire a HC until after teams are out of the playoffs or Super Bowl. I know you most likely get the coach you want but what about other coordinators. Chances are the good ones have already been hired or may not want to leave the playoff teams they are already on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, even though I don't want Quinn.  I probably have highlighted his qualities with more hype than anyone here.  I am aware of his personality.  I keep mentioning it.  I am the one who keeps saying Keim has said multiple times no one candidate has gotten more kudos when he asks around the NFL than Quinn.  i mentioned Logan loving him.

I don't try to screen what I hear to meet my preferences-predispostiions.  I'll say whatever I hear.  And even though Quinn isn't my guy, I think I've put more pro Quinn propaganda on this thread than anyone ironically.  :ols:

So if anyone here is missing his strengths its certainly not me.

Why don't i want Quinn?

A.  I want an offensive guy

B.  I don't want a coach on their 2nd stint.

I've explained why multiple times.   IMHO it won't be a disaster hire.  Judging by here, talk radio, twitter, i think it will be an unpopular hire.  Does popularity matter to a regime that's trying to rebuild fan excitement?  I don't know. 

Why do I want an offensive guy?  It's an offensive driven league.  We are likely going to draft a QB.    Good offensive coodinators tend to get plucked as Hcs elsewhere so they are tough to hold.

What do I prefer a guy on their 2nd stint?  I'd rather get a young and hungry guy who we can build with.  I am tired of hearing how guys on their 2nd stint didnt put in the time or weren't as hungry as the first time including our most recent HCs. 

Not sure if you took my comments incorrectly. I have heard and understood everything you state and believe we agree in most areas. I have posted numerous times of understanding an offensive minded HC is in Washington's best interest. I have also done so about Quinn and Morris's leadership skills being very high. I am hopeful Johnson is the HC and it will be a disappointment if it didn't work out that way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

How much of a disadvantage does it put us waiting to hire a HC until after teams are out of the playoffs or Super Bowl. I know you most likely get the coach you want but what about other coordinators. Chances are the good ones have already been hired or may not want to leave the playoff teams they are already on.

We're too appealing, I believe they would fight each other to get a job here. ;)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

don't get the point.  mention of McDonald in what context?

On another note, Rapoport just mentioned what Pauline did which is Rivera could be the Cowboys defensive coordinator if he leaves

MacDonald being seriously considered by Commanders.  Schefter mentioned it along with Fowler and others.  I have to think (Shen, then Harris who likes the culture of the Ravens) might be pushing for Johnson thus the back and forth on Johnson vs. MacDonald as HC. 

I'd take Quinn as DC any day over Rivera.  We can only hope Rivera becomes DC in Dallas.  Dallas is going to lose their DC and have already lost their OC.  They will be fighting the Giants for last place.  Possibly from 1st to worst.  

27 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

By all accounts Johnson is extremely impressive when presenting.  Not because of over the top enthusiasm, but because of his organization, focus, and ability to communicate his ideas (which are brilliant) in a way that others can easily understand.  His impressive game plans and communication skills are what creates a confidence in the team.  He could possibly benefit by having a couple of Ra Ra, get um fired up, type coaches on his staff though.

Agree with all of this, fits his profile well

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Really makes you wonder what other candidates think when reading articles like this. The entire NFL head coach hiring process is bizarre. 

I just think the entire NFL set up is a bizarre boys club. They all know what’s going on behind the scenes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think SF beats Detroit but I hope Detroit puts up some points on them. I also believe an upset will happen against the Ravens today too.  Could be wrong but got a feeling Mahomes is going to be on his game today against the Ravens D.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Not sure if you took my comments incorrectly. I have heard and understood everything you state and believe we agree in most areas. I have posted numerous times of understanding an offensive minded HC is in Washington's best interest. I have also done so about Quinn and Morris's leadership skills being very high. I am hopeful Johnson is the HC and it will be a disappointment if it didn't work out that way.

It was a little bit of your mention of Quinn's leadership can't be overlooked but more so @klwilkins1977 mention of people underestimating the power of Quinn's personality.

Since he gave a thumbs down to my post on me not wanting Quinn.  I wanted to make it clear that i am not one who underestimates Quinn's personality or that am overlooking Quinn's leadership.  I've ironically I believe put up more posts here than anyone about Quinn's personality and leadership.  So yeah i think I get it.  :ols:

So in short I get Quinn's assets.  But I still rather go elsewhere with the choice. 😎

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

MacDonald being seriously considered by Commanders.  Schefter mentioned it along with Fowler and others.  I have to think (Shen, then Harris who likes the culture of the Ravens) might be pushing for Johnson thus the back and forth on Johnson vs. MacDonald as HC. 

I didn't in that post give a full list of who is in contention.  I just mentioned that Slowik is the one who seems to get the least mention among the candidates.

If I had to quantitfy who gets the most mentions.  It's been Johnson.  Followed by Quinn.  Followed by McDonald.  I'd be surprised if its not Johnson.  I would be very surprised if its not Johnson or Quinn.  I'd be shocked if its someone outside of Johnson, Quinn, McDonald.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

That'd be fine with me as DC but I'd rather have Weaver.  Again, why has Quinn's D choked each year in the playoffs?  

Personal opinion is his defenses are built on speed and pass rush to force turnovers, which is great for the regular season when you’re playing with a lead or inferior offensive lines and QB play, but in the playoffs teams are more evenly matched.  

Green Bay got downhill on Dallas from the jump, a known weakness of that defense. Micah is awesome blitzing, but he’s small taking on double teams from 6’5” lineman ALL DAY.  He wears down.  Same for their smallish quick backers and safeties.  That’s why more teams are running the ball and having success, defenses have been built this decade to defend the pass, but they’re more susceptible to being pounded.  

Look at the teams playing today, they all bring the pain running the ball, why I turned on EB, fool refused to run the rock!  It’s not smart football to throw >40 per game on avg., you run it! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think SF beats Detroit but I hope Detroit puts up some points on them. I also believe an upset will happen against the Ravens today too.  Could be wrong but got a feeling Mahomes is going to be on his game today against the Ravens D.  

I think SF and Detroit is going to be a Shoot Out that will come right down to the end. I think KC is going to get a black eye from the Ravens though. I dont think KC can stop the Raven offense and I think Mahomes is going to get knocked around just enough to frustrate him and throw him off his game. Ravens win big. 

2 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I think SF and Detroit is going to be a Shoot Out that will come right down to the end. I think KC is going to get a black eye from the Ravens though. I dont think KC can stop the Raven offense and I think Mahomes is going to get knocked around just enough to frustrate him and throw him off his game. Ravens win big. 

Could be, Vak9Trainer.  We will know soon enough today.  

17 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Not so far....

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

They're not surprised. The agents are hashing out all this stuff behind the scenes,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

can’t say for sure. If I had to guess I would say that most of these HC candidates have a short list of who’d they bring if hired and have told those coaches their intent. Obviously these coaches can take offers elsewhere and surely have in the past.