Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Add another 1 too that list 

It's interesting how the Falcons are publicizing their HC search.

Josh seems inclined to keep the Commanders' process quieter. We've gotten updates from the beat reporters, but the team itself is keeping things under wraps.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Theyll give Peters a ring. He was instrumental in building that roster and is deserving of one. And Lynch is way too class of a guy to not reward his long time #2.

No question in my mind he gets one. But I think Baltimore gets the ring. 

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I'm sure this will go over well on the board. 

Why not interview him? If nothing else, it gives the advisory committee some further insight about the roster and why things went the way they did in 2023. That's not even getting into the Rooney Rule stuff (which I hope Harris would take seriously and not as a cynical exercise).

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

Discovering what not to desire in a coach is useful information.

Seriously tho, EB is flaming garbage and not only would I not want him as a HC or OC, I'd flame the very idea of keeping him anywhere on this staff.

Whoever our new young QB is, the first order of business should be acquiring a restraining order to keep EB a set distance away. Man tore Sam Howell apart at the seams. He's not worthy to teach our new guy a single thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, profusion said:

Why not interview him? If nothing else, it gives the advisory committee some further insight about the roster and why things went the way they did in 2023. That's not even getting into the Rooney Rule stuff (which I hope Harris would take seriously and not as a cynical exercise).

This is probably the main reason.

5 minutes ago, profusion said:

That's not even getting into the Rooney Rule stuff (which I hope Harris would take seriously and not as a cynical exercise).

Totally agree with this statement… I’ve never been in a position to interview anyone for any type of employment but if I were I know for darn sure I wouldn’t schedule a interview with anyone without me first thinking they were qualified for the job… not just to check a box off to meet a quota… we see this all the time… 

I do think they already interviewed Raheem Morris though before EB to meet the requirement

Edited by Command The 414

5 minutes ago, profusion said:

Has nothing to do with the Rooney rule since the in person interview has to be made with an external candidate. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, profusion said:

Agreed!  He's an inside house interview.  Pick his mind and see what he has to say.  Shoot, RR couldn't give a press conference so at least we have someone who can give others in the house who can.  He's not on my list but why not.  

I would really like to see a Lions vs Ravens Super Bowl.  Then see (OC Ben Johnson vs DC Mike MacDonald).  If the Lions lose today and there is no soon to be word on the hiring of Ben Johnson, then it'd be fair to say that Adam Peters and Harris and Co. are looking hard at Mike MacDonald as HC. 

Edited by RWJ

11 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Totally agree with this statement… I’ve never been in a position to interview anyone for any type of employment but if I were I know for darn sure I wouldn’t schedule a interview with anyone without me first thinking they were qualified for the job… not just to check a box off to meet a quota… we see this all the time… 

I do think they already interviewed Raheem Morris thought before EB

EB seems to have a more favorable reputation inside the league than he does among us Commanders fans.

I'm torn on this.

• There were alarm bells in camp about his leadership style.
  • His playcalling seemed odd at times, decent at others.
  • I didn't see a lot of adjustments.
  • Brissett moved the team down the field pretty easily in EB's offense. 
  • Tough for me to say how much of Howell's struggles late in the season were on him versus EB.

The concerns about his leadership style are the main reason I wouldn't hire him. Maybe the team needed some shaking up, but I didn't sense that the offensive players were willing to "run through a brick wall" for him.

Edited by profusion
  • Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

All the talk about MacD’s defense stopping the offensive candidates’ teams is almost nonsensical. That only proves he knows his Xs and Os and can lead a unit. Being a HC is a different deal. There are a lot more skills involved, not to mention the temperament and personality. We’ve seen any number of brilliant, successful coordinators on both sides of the ball be awful HCs.

I think MacD will probably do well wherever he lands. That said, I’d prefer we go with Johnson or Slowik. Finding DCs is a hell of a lot easier than finding a new OC every few years. If the HC is calling the plays, or can do it if need be, it gives your team a real advantage in terms of continuity IMO.

Completely on board with going against the norm and bringing in a defensive coordinator (DC) who offers a potential schematic advantage in the playoffs. Macdonald demonstrated a comparable impact to that of an elite quarterback in yesterday's game against the high-flying Texans by effectively shutting them down.

I support the idea of maintaining a defensive schematic edge for the next two decades while hoping to secure an elite quarterback, thereby diminishing the significance of an offensive coordinator (OC).

Not suggesting that this is the sole model. I'm fully aligned with the concept that in an organization, elite leadership and intangibles reign supreme when it comes to a coach.

47 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Jayden Daniels and Chip Kelley sounds like my nightmare.

Unlikely due to his strong personality, but if he clearly communicates that he's done as a head coach, there could be some potential value. This is contingent on Daniels being the pick for me.

37 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Chip Kelly hasn’t been able to re-create anywhere he’s been since the old days at Oregon, not w/Eagles or UCLA, I’d rather take a flyer on Greg Roman (and I don’t want him either) then on Kelly… a HARD NO for me

Greg Roman would be a stellar hire if Daniels is the pick. It's amusing how he gets criticized for being a trailblazer in the NFL, especially considering the current Ravens OC receiving all the credit.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Completely on board with going against the norm and bringing in a defensive coordinator (DC) who offers a potential schematic advantage in the playoffs. Macdonald demonstrated a comparable impact to that of an elite quarterback in yesterday's game against the high-flying Texans by effectively shutting them down.

I support the idea of maintaining a defensive schematic edge for the next two decades while hoping to secure an elite quarterback, thereby diminishing the significance of an offensive coordinator (OC).

I can see that too. Arguably the two best QBs of all time Peyton Manning and Tom Brady spent the vast majority of their careers, and their entire primes, with defensive coaches. But both were transcendent. Can we draft a guy like that? Its not likely, but it is possible. 

While the rest of the league goes offense heavy, it'd be cool if we were the new trend setter and get the defensive guy that can stomp all the other supposed gurus. Belichick 2.0 if you will.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, profusion said:

They have to interview two minority or female candidates under the current version of the Rooney Rule. Interviewing both Bienemy and Morris would satisfy that.

EB seems to have a more favorable reputation inside the league than he does among us Commanders fans.

I'm torn on this.

• There were alarm bells in camp about his leadership style.
  • His playcalling seemed odd at times, decent at others.
  • I didn't see a lot of adjustments.
  • Brissett moved the team down the field pretty easily in EB's offense. 
  • Tough for me to say how much of Howell's struggles late in the season were on him versus EB.

The concerns about his leadership style are the main reason I wouldn't hire him. Maybe the team needed some shaking up, but I didn't sense that the offensive players were willing to "jump through a brick wall" for him.

The resurgence of his leadership style in the NFL is noticeable, with Dan Campbell leading the way and the recent inclusion of Antonio Pierce. Trends in the league often follow cyclical patterns. 

In line with your observation, players might not immediately rally to his defense, but building genuine rapport takes time, often linked to financial rewards. It's likely that players like Wylie and Pringle, who potentially benefited financially, have a positive view of him.

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

The resurgence of his leadership style in the NFL is noticeable, with Dan Campbell leading the way and the recent inclusion of Antonio Pierce. Trends in the league often follow cyclical patterns. 

In line with your observation, players might not immediately rally to his defense, but building genuine rapport takes time, often linked to financial rewards. It's likely that players like Wylie and Pringle, who potentially benefited financially, have a positive view of him.

Are you sure that EB can be grouped with Campbell or Pierce in terms of leadership style? The stories that came out of camp remind me more of a Parcells-type character.

If Terry Mclauren was griping about him, I take that seriously. He's the opposite of a diva or malcontent.

Of course, EB wasn't the HC in camp, so the dynamic was very different.

• Like 1

Something else that just came to mind: Interviewing EB is part of a culture change, too. Don't forget that he's still employed by the Commanders. NOT interviewing him for the HC position would be a pretty cruddy thing to do, even if it ends up just being a courtesy interview.

• Like 9

Just now, profusion said:

Something else that just came to mind: Interviewing EB is part of a culture change, too. Don't forget that he's still employed by the Commanders. NOT interviewing him for the HC position would be a pretty cruddy thing to do, even if it ends up just being a courtesy interview.

Agreed.  Since he signed a 2-year deal, he'll probably be reassigned to another position once the HC finds his OC.  IMO, EB probably goes back to KC as their RB coach.  Obviously players have made it known that they don't like him

• Like 1