Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Hate to say it but we need to bring in 1 or 2 minorities for in-person interviews after the divisional round and Morris is going to be one of them.

Not that they aren't considering him at all, but Ben Johnson seems to be the big target and yet they have to give the impression of an open process.

That is very possibly part of the soup here.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Hate to say it but we need to bring in 1 or 2 minorities for in-person interviews after the divisional round and Morris is going to be one of them.

Not that they aren't considering him at all, but Ben Johnson seems to be the big target and yet they have to give the impression of an open process.

That is very possibly part of the soup here.

I think it already happened two days ago

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lynnell from 106.7 took that Keim podcast to mean that Keim was heavily hinting that the top 3 candidates are Johnson, Raheem, Quinn.  I am not sure I heard it the same way but I get why he thinks that because Keim often doesn't say things for no reason.  Will see. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 8.20.15 PM.png

It's been Ben Johnson all along. All you have to do is look at the two people who Josh hired as advisors. It's really right in front of us.

Bob Myers - Commanders Special Advisor - legendary sports executive, close ties to San Fran 49ers, Adam Peters then current employer - close friend of Adam Peters, now new Commanders GM and supposedly Josh Harris' first pick for GM all along. 

Rick Spielman - Commanders Special Advisor - brother of Chris Spielman, Detroit Lions legend, Current Special Assistant to Lions Owner/CEO = Ben Johnson's current employer, apparently Josh Harris' first choice for HC all along.

I think it's pretty darned sharp and clever of Josh. I'd like to think I could be as slick an executive as he is being. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

It's been Ben Johnson all along. All you have to do is look at the two people who Josh hired as advisors. It's really right in front of us.

I think it's pretty darned sharp and clever of Josh. I'd like to think I could be as slick an executive as he is being. 

I agree. Everything else is just for media spin and something to talk about.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Morris and Weaver are the minority interviews aren’t they

Yes but virtual interviews don’t satisfy the RR. You have to interview 2 external minorities, in person for the RR to be met. So, we would have to interview them in person or some other minority in person.  In person interviews with people employed by other nfl teams aren’t allowed until Monday.

The nfl made it more complicated and pushing out the process longer.

NE’s succession plan was given to the nfl last year and accepted since Mayo was a minority.  

Raiders interviewed 2 external minorities who weren’t currently employed, Leslie Frazer and Kris Richard; so Raiders met the RR and could give Antonio Pierce the gig.

Interviewing virtually can be looked at as an opening interview.  Then when you can interview them in person, you bring them back.

Of course you can interview those not employed by the nfl to speed up things. Raiders did that. 

The nfl has slowed down the process and I think next year , they may not allow in person interviews until after championship games.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I was this pissed with Zorn. That played out exactly as I predicted. I have pretty much been right about almost everything other than predicting Bezos would buy and that wasn’t about evaluating a coach or player. It was assuming the wealthiest guy in the room would walk away with the object was for sale. I took a big L on that one but the record stands on the rest of it for the past 20 plus years on this board. 

Regardless, Peters is not a moron. This is a Kabuki dance he has to do. There is no realistic chance we hire Morris. None. I’m just shocked why people here suddenly want him. The dude is not good at the job. Never has been. 

With the emphasis on the word "almost".  I can recall some with ease.  But its cool we all get things wrong.  If we were brilliant flawless football minds, we'd be dumber than rocks to be hanging here on a football chat room wasting talent because clearly we should be professionals running front offices and making millions doing so.

Raheem isn't my guy.  I don't hate him either though.  I was one of the loudest critics here of Zorn.  Zorn was a zany, weird buffoon.  Reading about Raheem he's about as night and day a different dude than Zorn as it gets.  His resume is a heck of a lot different too.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. Everything else is just for media spin and something to talk about.

Judging by narratives it feels like this.  

We are the front runner unless Tepper's desire runs so deep for Johnson that he offers something irresitable. 

Ben Standig talked about this some, saying asking around the league, they believe he ends up either Washington or Carolina.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by narratives it feels like this.  

We are the front runner unless Tepper's desire runs so deep for Johnson that he offers something irresitable. 

Ben Standig talked about this some, saying asking around the league, they believe he ends up either Washington or Carolina.

IDK, a guy that has intentionally grown so much around some of the best people, even turning down a pay day last year, I can't see going to that clown show.

With Peters, Cunningham, Johnson, all turning down jobs last year, after Dan scr5ewed the sale and pushed it to far into the off season to make changes, it just seems like the safest bet in the world that Johnson is coming here and all the due diligence we're doing is for show and connections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

IDK, a guy that has intentionally grown so much around some of the best people, even turning down a pay day last year, I can't see going to that clown show.

With Peters, Cunningham, Johnson, all turning down jobs last year, after Dan scr5ewed the sale and pushed it to far into the off season to make changes, it just seems like the safest bet in the world that Johnson is coming here and all the due diligence we're doing is for show and connections.

He probably won't go to Carolina but tough to rule it out completely.  It's the state he's from.  If he lets say gets offered double the length, double the money and the ability to pick his GM -- do we know for sure there is no limit for him where none of it matters?  Maybe so.  But you never know.

Marty said on live TV that he would never work for Dan Snyder.  A fat contract and full control later and he was on Dan's payroll.

I think we likely are the front runners.  But I don't think Carolina has no shot.  Sounds like that's the same vibe Standig gets asking his sources.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Fowler on SportsCenter just mentioned that three prime candidates for Commanders HC are:

Johnson

Morris

MacDonald

Interesting. I like all three.  Johnson is my top.    Way too much noise from too many different corners about Johnson and Morris to not think they are in serious contention.

I'd rather not go defense but if they did McDonald is my top choice. 

• Like 4

I'm still impressed with Raheem Morris.  As I have explained and will not any further him working in the capacity of how Campbell is working as basically HC overseeing everything and letting the OC and DC do their job, I like that.  But Johnson is my guy.  

• Like 4

We’ve interviewed two offensive coaches. Slowik and Johnson, the rest have been defense: Morris, Macdonald, Quinn, and Glenn. I’m surprised they didn’t interview Frank Smith. 

I am beginning to doubt Slowik is the hire. If they don’t get Johnson, I’m willing to bet on Morris, then Macdonald. I think people are really underestimating Morris. He served two years as Shanahan’s wide receiver coach and passing game coordinator, and then kept that role after Shanahan left for San Fransisco.

He’s third on my list, behind Johnson and Macdonald.  Reports about Slowik’s demeanor and the number of players raving about Morris, and his diverse experience makes me think like him more than Slowik.

• Like 2

The begging for Ben Johnson is getting a little weird cause I don't get what its based on

Anyway, Mark Bullock is doing a thread on his schemes. I am already on the record as saying I like the Slowik/Shanahan scheme A LOT better because IMO it provides for better spacing and separation for WRs specifically and Johnson's run scheme really depend on a good offensive line, but its good to see  what he does

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its gonna be Johnson but we’ll have to be patient 

This is the way I feel too. I’m preparing for the possibility that Tepper gives him $20m per, full control, two popsicles, and he gets to keep the old bird cage.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is what I said yesterday.  If Tepper doubles the offer, Johnson has to take it.  Even if he knows he’s getting fired after 8 games because Tepper is an impatient ass hat.  

If Tepper makes a Godfather off, with it without the horse head, we’re on to candidate #2.

The ideal situation is we schedule Johnson’s first in person interview before Carolinas, and then don’t let him leave the building. 

And he can’t interview until the Lions are out of the playoffs.  

In person interviews can’t take place until Monday.

Maybe they can talk to Morris and one other minority candidate next week, so they’re ready for Johnson on the first day he’s available.