Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

It's funny how people are suddenly jumping on the Raheem Morris bandwagon just because of a few video clips. Luckily we now have a front office that does their due diligence.

Rams had the number 1 defense in the NFL in 2020 under Brandon Staley.

When Morris took over in 2021 they dropped to 17

In his second year in 2022 they dropped to 19

In his third year this year they dropped to 20

During that same span, Jack Del Rio fielded a better average ranked defense. Del Rio was also far more successful as a head coach. 

Raheem is taking a step back from Jack and Rivera. You guys who want him are insane. Just lunacy.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

I really want to like Raheem Morris as the hire here, but I can’t wrap my head around hiring a guy who has been mediocre in every year as DC except for one outlier.  With that being the case, I really don’t care how great of a leader he is.  

Even if he decides not to call plays and chooses two great coordinators/playcallers to come with him this year, he’d have to be right every time in choosing the next ones when they inevitably leave or things will go poorly (a la the Eagles this year). We’re at a competitive disadvantage with the HC’s who only need to choose right on one side of the ball every time. 

Defensive DVOA with Morris at DC:

- 2020: Falcons finished 19th

- 2021: Rams finished 3rd

- 2022: Rams finished 18th

- 2023: Rams finished 22nd

Ugh.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Rams had the number 1 defense in the NFL in 2020 under Brandon Staley.

When Morris took over in 2021 they dropped to 17

In his second year in 2022 they dropped to 19

In his third year this year they dropped to 20

During that same span, Jack Del Rio fielded a better average ranked defense. Del Rio was also far more successful as a head coach. 

Raheem is taking a step back from Jack and Rivera. You guys who want him are insane. Just lunacy.

So dismissive.

You’re right, Brandon Staley had the number one defense. We should totally hire him as a HC. Oh that’s right, he sucked ass as a HC.

It’s almost as if other factors like personality, ability to relate to people, communication, leadership might make for a good HC…

My preference is an offensive minded head coach for reasons we already discussed but Morris worked under Shannahan on the offensive side with the Falcons. 

Both Shanny and McVay vouch for the guy. Players too. We could do A LOT worse.

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Tell ya, Arthur has a lot of lines in the water.  I thought Billy B. was the guy but now Aaron Glenn, DC from the Lions and Jimmy Harbaugh from Michigan and Mike Vrabel too.  Whew!  He may be pushing Billy B. to make a decision quick.  Interesting watching this one play out.  😆

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I really want to like Raheem Morris as the hire here, but I can’t wrap my head around hiring a guy who has been mediocre in every year as DC except for one outlier.  With that being the case, I really don’t care how great of a leader he is.  

Even if he decides not to call plays and chooses two great coordinators/playcallers to come with him this year, he’d have to be right every time in choosing the next ones when they inevitably leave or things will go poorly (a la the Eagles this year). We’re at a competitive disadvantage with the HC’s who only need to choose right on one side of the ball every time. 

Defensive DVOA with Morris at DC:

- 2020: Falcons finished 19th

- 2021: Rams finished 3rd

- 2022: Rams finished 18th

- 2023: Rams finished 22nd

Ugh.

It's worse than that. He sucked under Haslett here and had the job because of being buddies with Kyle. After he followed Kyle to Atlanta, Dan Quinn only let him be DB coach for a year. He demoted him from Asst Head Coach defensive backs to Wide Receiver coach because Kyle insisted on keeping him because they were buddies. I don't think he has a tattoo of Raheem's name like he does of Chris Simms but those guys are BFFs. It wasn't until toward the end of the 2019 season after Quinn started 1-7 that Raheem got moved to defensive back coach. It was assumed Quinn would be fired but wasn't. Morris became DC in the lame duck year and Quinn was fired in season. Raheem took over as interim coach after Quinn as fired in season. He didn't work again until McVay did him a favor and made him DC after Staley took the Chargers gig. He tanked the Rams D last 3 years and now that the Rams are in contention again they want to dump him and get the comp picks if they can. The Super Bowl was despite the defense. Rams took a huge step back after Staley left.

Those are the hard facts, Raheem is a joke. His career trajectory since being a HC in Tampa does not warrant any realistic shot at a HC job. If Peters and Harris hire him, then they are idiots and we way overestimated them.

14 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

So dismissive.

You’re right, Brandon Staley had the number one defense. We should totally hire him as a HC. Oh that’s right, he sucked ass as a HC.

It’s almost as if other factors like personality, ability to relate to people, communication, leadership might make for a good HC…

My preference is an offensive minded head coach for reasons we already discussed but Morris worked under Shannahan on the offensive side with the Falcons. 

Both Shanny and McVay vouch for the guy. Players too. We could do A LOT worse.

Morris was 17-31 as head coach. Staley was 24-24.

Staley is far better. Don't get me wrong, he sucks, but he's miles better than Morris. 

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Morris was 17-31 as head coach. Staley was 24-24.

Staley is far better. Don't get me wrong, he sucks, but he's miles better than Morris. 

You were dead wrong on Bezos.

But you’re dead right on this 😂

By all accounts, Morris sounds like a guy people like. Everywhere he goes.

But this is a results league… and this franchise needs results fast. Morris just doesn’t have a great track record.

Sounds like a person you want to work with… but don’t know where to put them.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Also worth noting, the Chiefs defense historically has been a byproduct of teams chasing the team's offense, leaving them vulnerable to sacks/turnovers etc. It's lawn chair folding worthy in the same way as say, the Eagles was, if the offense struggles. Now add in that your division included the vaunted attacks of Las Vegas (27th), Denver (19th) and an imploding Chargers team (16th), and it's not a surprise that the Chiefs D ranked fairly well (they did play Detroit and Green Bay, both top 6, but then also played the 22nd and 23rd ranked Bears and Vikes. 

I don't get what its about either. The Chiefs have Mahomes and a great coach. That's what all of the Chiefs stuff is built around, that and Kelce and Hill before he left and an adequate defense that could take advantage of teams forced to play catch up, but its not some miracle build, it's a team that consistently patches holes and gets by because of Mahomes. The Niners, like the Ravens the past 15 years have largely had to get by with crap to average quarterbacking while completing perfect builds everywhere else (and then both appeared to hit on QB over the past 5 years). The Ravens and Niners builds are far more impressive to me. Hell the Chiefs needed WR help for years, and we just had an endless litany of mega elite, and deep WR drafts year after year after year and they busied themselves drafting the handful of busts from those classes until they finally got Rice. Color me not impressed. Hell they even got RB wrong in the mega loaded '20 class. They took CEH, CEH!!! Over Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, and D'Andre Swift. Luckily they hit on Pacheco. Definitely not terribly impressed with their building, at all. They'd be far more competitive if they'd been more competent at providing Mahomes with at least average drafts, generally, they did not have that, especially in early rounds. 

You're stuck in a different era. The current Chiefs are a ball-control and defense team. Sneed's the best corner in the league. Mcduffie is in his second year and he's an all pro. Bolton is a KILLER. George the Greek has 10.5 sacks. They're better than Baltimore at defense. Which is how Mahomes had a mediocre year yet they're still in the second round. That's drafting. The 49ers defense can't hold a candle to the Chiefs this year. And that may be one fo the reasons the chiefs worked them last year.  And the offense has an all pro center, a 7th round running back that tore up Miami (Paecheko) and Rice is a record setting rookie receiver for the franchise. The Chiefs are in a better spot than Baltimore and the 49ers. Better personal and more picks. And all of that with the best QB in the league on his second contract. 

Edited by seamonster

Damn socal don't hold back.

But seriously i agree with you but with lesser conviction. 

The nfl is dog eat dog, when teams are overselling somebody it's a red flag.

You don't see the lions organization or the Texans jumping up on soap boxes and desperately trying to get somebody to hire johnson or slowick or any of the other hot candidates for that matter they sell themselves.

Obviously there's another way to interpret this and that's race but I don't think that's what's going on here demeco Ryan's didn't need to be oversold to the Texans last year his resume did that for him.

Raheem may be worthy of another shot but I hope it's with another team I want either a first time head coach or someone with a resume that doesn't need to be rehabilitated.

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if Bobby even interviews with us.  Falcons are zeroing in on several candidates as Arthur has been flying his bird all over the place picking people up and flying them in for interviews.  Bobby knows Adam so if Adam and Harris really want to interview him, he'll wait for it.  Time will tell.  

58 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

You were dead wrong on Bezos.

But you’re dead right on this 😂

By all accounts, Morris sounds like a guy people like. Everywhere he goes.

But this is a results league… and this franchise needs results fast. Morris just doesn’t have a great track record.

Sounds like a person you want to work with… but don’t know where to put them.

I was dead right on Zorn. This is a Zorn level candidate. 

Edit: As far as his likability and eagerness to work with him, Dan Quinn was not big on him. He threw him off his defensive staff and took away his asst head coach title after 1 year and Kyle made him a WR coach to prevent him from being outright fired. He lingered there until Arthur Blank demanded some changes after a 1-7 start and Quinn made him a DB coach in November of 2019.  

Jalen Ramsey vouching for him is the same as Matt Haselbeck vouching for Zorn. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

I have no idea why everyone is in a hurry to hire Mike MacDonald. 

He didn't even have a good memory 40 years ago:

This week, granted I listen to the Sirrius 80s station a lot so that increases the odds, Ya Mo Be There, was on multiple times.  I wondered if its a sign?

Lynnell from 106.7 took that Keim podcast to mean that Keim was heavily hinting that the top 3 candidates are Johnson, Raheem, Quinn.  I am not sure I heard it the same way but I get why he thinks that because Keim often doesn't say things for no reason.  Will see. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 8.20.15 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It’s Ben Johnson. It’s always been Ben Johnson. The rest is just for show. 

I hope so.  I don't passionately dislike some of the other candidates like some do here.  No one I hate in the mix.  But for me its been Ben Johnson by a mile as to who I want. 

The media guys are, some of them are big on Raheem including Lynnell who is pushing him tonight

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lynnell from 106.7 took that Keim podcast to mean that Keim was heavily hinting that the top 3 candidates are Johnson, Raheem, Quinn.  I am not sure I heard it the same way but I get why he thinks that because Keim often doesn't say things for no reason.  Will see. 

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 8.20.15 PM.png

I’d rather have Slowik than Morris or Quinn. But between Morris and Quinn… if I really had to choose… it’d be Quinn. 

Quinn’s done things in this league. 

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2