Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure. I bet he does declare but will see. I didn’t say that I know Maye is the pick at 2 

Less a response to where you think Maye is going (I sort of assumed he would be #2 overall).

Just that the calculus completely changes if Williams is no longer in the mix.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Howell is smallish, has some good attributes but nothing great.  If his upside was high then I think you can write off this season.   

I've defended Howell to death on this site.   I still think he has a chance.

But as enthusiastic as I am about this season coming up and potential for it if they decided to run it back with Howell it would take a lot of wind out of my sails.  And judging by fan polls it would be a downer for many other fans, too.

Not that I think they need to pander to fans.  But speaking for myself It would be cringe worthy for me if they skipped a QB in this draft.  I think the chance it happens is like 1% so am not worried about it though.  

Depends what they think of the top 2 QB's as opposed to the other prospects and the trade haul. I get everyone wanting a franchise QB but just because we pick at #2 doesn't mean we're in love with either QB who's projected to go in the top 2. None of us can answer what Peters and company will do. It's all conversation and wishes based on who posts. Ask Browns fans if they'd like the Tim Couch and Baker Mayfield picks back. That's a franchise as desperate for a franchise QB as we are and they made their picks. Jets fans were probly thrilled with Zak Edwards....I could go on and on as you all know. Do what's best for the franchise...if the haul is too good to pass up then take the draft pick haul this year and set up your franchise for future drafts. There is no right or wrong answer to this debate until the picks play out. I think the Bears are in a tremendous position by trading out of the #1 spot last year....we'll see what Peters and company do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Less a response to where you think Maye is going (I sort of assumed he would be #2 overall).

Oh, he's going to declare.  With the performance that the USC heir to be put on in their bowl game, the Trojans are his team now.  

6 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Sure we were talking about it on the draft thread this morning. But I’ll worry about it only if Caleb doesn’t declare. he already said it will be right around the deadline. Most think he declares but will find out soon enough 

For anyone who thinks the Seahawks HC job is one of the top ones, Pete Carroll sure doesn't make it sound that way. In fact, the Seahawks are starting to sound more like the old Commanders.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pete-carroll-laments-non-football-people-calling-seahawks-shots-after-losing-coaching-job-225744994.html

Two days after the conclusion of his head coaching tenure with the Seattle Seahawks, Pete Carroll opened up about his fateful meeting with Seahawks brass in his final weekly radio show.

In it, he said that he's open to other head-coaching opportunities, but not counting on one. And he lamented the challenge of making his football case in that meeting with non-"football people" calling the shots in Seattle.

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Depends what they think of the top 2 QB's as opposed to the other prospects and the trade haul. I get everyone wanting a franchise QB but just because we pick at #2 doesn't mean we're in love with either QB who's projected to go in the top 2. None of us can answer what Peters and company will do. It's all conversation and wishes based on who posts. Ask Browns fans if they'd like the Tim Couch and Baker Mayfield picks back. That's a franchise as desperate for a franchise QB as we are and they made their picks. Jets fans were probly thrilled with Zak Edwards....I could go on and on as you all know. Do what's best for the franchise...if the haul is too good to pass up then take the draft pick haul this year and set up your franchise for future drafts. There is no right or wrong answer to this debate until the picks play out. I think the Bears are in a tremendous position by trading out of the #1 spot last year....we'll see what Peters and company do.

Of course we don’t know what they think.

But it’s rare for a draft to have multiple hyped QBs (the buzz is NFL teams believe it’s one of the better drafts for QB) and a team is picking top 2 and needs a QB and they trade down and blow off the opportunity. 

If this team ends up one of the rare teams to do it and it blows up on their face I don’t think Peters would be long for this job.

I think almost zero chance it happens but will see.

The idea of blowing off the opportunity to get a QB in this draft is a narrative for a small but vocal group of fans. But aside from that I don’t think it’s going to be something in play in reality but will see 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

….There’s no way they’re passing on QB, guys. There’s no need to even bring it up. This is a universally praised QB class. It’s not 2022. 

If Williams doesn’t come out I think there is potential that they pass on one. 

If Williams is in the draft: 0% chance they pass on QB

If he’s not? 30% chance they pass.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Of course we don’t know what they think.

But it’s rare for a draft to have multiple hyped QBs (the buzz is NFL teams believe it’s one of the better drafts for QB) and a team is picking top 2 and needs a QB and they trade down and blow off the opportunity. 

If this team ends up one of the rare teams to do it and it blows up on their face I don’t think Peters would be long for this job.

I think almost zero chance it happens but will see.

The idea of blowing off the opportunity to get a QB in this draft is a narrative for a small but vocal group of fans. But aside from that I don’t think it’s going to be something in play in reality but will see 

I think a lot of us post based on what we would do or what we think is the best approach and we defend our reasons/postions. I get taking a QB with the #2 pick but understand, I'm skeptical based on how RGlll, Chase Young and how other QB's have flopped for other franchises over the years. I want as many assets and stud players as we can accumulate over the risk of the miss at QB, as that's whats happened to so many other franchises in our position. 

There are two ways to look at the #2 overall pick; you'll never be this high to get your franchise QB again or you'll never get a chance to get this big of a haul for picks again. What's the better bet? For me, history shows that the team who trades back almost always wins the trade. I guess I'm playing the odds over the gamble of hoping the QB picked at #2 plays out favorably. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Oh, he's going to declare.  With the performance that the USC heir to be put on in their bowl game, the Trojans are his team now.  

Not to mention that USC will be playing Big 10 defenses next year, and the numbers might not be so gaudy.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What are the chances CW doesn’t declare?  He didn’t play in the bowl game.  His stock could plummet if things don’t go well next year.  He is coming out.   Just waiting to declare for some weird reason.  

Edited by Idaho fan

Just now, Idaho fan said:

What are the chances CE doesn’t declare?  He didn’t play in the bowl game.  His stock could plummet if things don’t go well next year.  He is coming out.   Just waiting to declare for some weird reason.  

Could probably hit the portal. Not 100% sure since he already transferred, though. College rules change weekly, so who knows.

But I think he’s going to declare. But it’s fun to talk about the what if and realize how bad him not declaring ****s us :ols:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think a lot of us post based on what we would do or what we think is the best approach and we defend our reasons/postions. I get taking a QB with the #2 pick but understand, I'm skeptical based on how RGlll, Chase Young and how other QB's have flopped for other franchises over the years. I want as many assets and stud players as we can accumulate over the risk of the miss at QB, as that's whats happened to so many other franchises in our position. 

There are two ways to look at the #2 overall pick; you'll never be this high to get your franchise QB again or you'll never get a chance to get this big of a haul for picks again. What's the better bet? For me, history shows that the team who trades back almost always wins the trade. I guess I'm playing the odds over the gamble of hoping the QB picked at #2 plays out favorably. 

well put post, and i share your sentiments about our past high picks that didn't turn out favorably for us, add to it the amount of busts at QB each and every season, the list is long for sure, and yet there are the rare situations where a Josh Purdy imho fell into the right place at the right time, Purdy wouldn't even be a name fans around the NFL know if he was on several other teams.  In a perfect world Howell (or a trade) QB could/would be the starter in 2024 and beyond given we get the right HC and OC, I mean the Purdys, Brownings, O'Connells and a few more show a great OC/HC can make a huge difference, and for that I ask how much was Howell coached in 2023?  Not advocating drafting for or against a QB with the #2 just things I think about

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure we were talking about it on the draft thread this morning. But I’ll worry about it only if Caleb doesn’t declare. he already said it will be right around the deadline. Most think he declares but will find out soon enough 

He loves the spotlight.  That's just Wililams.  Celeb Caleb. 

Edited by RWJ

5 hours ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

The day I’ve been dreading for the last 5 years has turned into euphoria , unbelievable. (Just seeing the  hiring news after leaving my Colonoscopy ) . 

Are you speaking metaphorically here? Because rooting for this team has been like a 20-year colonoscopy…

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Not to pile on too hard here, but Casserly didn't sign Brad Johnson. He traded a first, second, AND third round pick for him. All because he actively chose to not re-sign Trent Green.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/16/sports/plus-pro-football-minnesota-johnson-is-traded-to-the-redskins.html

Oh, that first rounder he traded for Johnson? The Vikings selected Daunte Culpepper. So the options were:

(1) resign Trent Green and keep first, second, and third round picks;

(2) draft Daunte Culpepper and keep second and third round picks; or

(3) trade all picks for Brad Johnson.

And that's supposed to be one of his good moves?

I'll give you Stephen Davis though. That's at least one good draft pick in ten years.

Not to defend Casserly bc he was horrible, but as I remember it, he was limited in what he could do bc of the ongoing settling of the Squire’s estate. That said, he made things even worse by trading for Limp Arm Johnson who was coming off a shoulder injury I think. At the right price, maybe, but Casserly gave up picks in that trade like he was foreshadowing Lord Farquaad.

Looks like all that BS is over now though bc we’ve got a quality owner and a kickarse GM🤞🏽🤞🏽.

44 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If they don’t hit on a QB within the first 3 seasons, they’ll all be fired. They are not gonna wait to do so. 

I guess understand fan angst but RG3 and Chase Young will be the last thing on their minds. That has nothing to do with Adam Peters. 

I mean the Texans drafting David Carr 1 overall didn’t stop them from taking Shroud last year 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It just doesn’t compute in my brain. Every time a coach or GM is fired now, the root cause is tied back to the lack of a QB. I don’t see how anyone could think they’d wait on that especially since that is is what just doomed Ron. 

If for whatever random reason Williams stays then WSH is taking Daniels. There’s no debate to me. That’s the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If they don’t hit on a QB within the first 3 seasons, they’ll all be fired. They are not gonna wait to do so. 

I guess understand fan angst but RG3 and Chase Young will be the last thing on their minds. That has nothing to do with Adam Peters. 

I mean the Texans drafting David Carr 1 overall didn’t stop them from taking Shroud last year 

doubt anyone is getting fired in 3 years over missing on a qb.

1 minute ago, dunfer said:

doubt anyone is getting fired in 3 years over missing on a qb.

…..are you serious ? Arthur Smith just got fired for that exact reason. His owner fed that exact reasoning to Ian Rappaport to be read on NFL Network

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

…..are you serious ? Arthur Smith just got fired for that exact reason. 

If the entire team is a ****show? mabye....but not because they havent found a franchise qb. I dont think harris and co will react that way

1 minute ago, dunfer said:

If the entire team is a ****show? mabye....but not because they havent found a franchise qb. I dont think harris and co will react that way

Ron Rivera basically admitted that was why he was fired. 

Jay Gruden just tweeted this. It’s known across the league. That’s why the QBs go so high in drafts. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ron Rivera basically admitted that was why he was fired. 

Jay Gruden just tweeted this. It’s known across the league. That’s why the QBs go so high in drafts. 

ok im talking franchise qb, but i think youre just talking success. They may go hand in hand but not always. Yeah if they cant find a guy to run the offense in three years ok

Like joe flacco...browns are a good team but they dont have a franchise qb

Edited by dunfer