Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

So now I'm wondering, if Ben Johnson does become our HC, would he and Peters keep Howell as the QB and draft Marvin Harrison Jr? Johnson did an amazing job of reviving Jared Goff's career. Could he do the same with Howell? If he thinks he could, Marvin Harrison Jr would be a no brainer for our draft pick. Howell did a good job for the first half of the season before the wheels fell off. I blame the coaching staff for a lot of that. They sucked as game planners and as teachers.

I'd be shocked if he did.  It would be a ballsy move IMO in a bad way. 

I was listening to a SF reporter who covered Peters suggest he thinks (like just about everyone else does) he likely goes QB at #2.  He talked about when Kyle-Lynch-Peters started the regime they waited some for going after the young QB in part because they thought they had a shot at Kirk and he believes they all regret it and learned from that experience.

Goff has some good seasons in LA.  Getting Howell going isn't about reviving him -- he's trying to establish himself.

2 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson apparently wants at least $15 million per year to be a head coach

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lions-offensive-coordinator-ben-johnson-apparently-wants-at-least-15-million-per-year-to-be-a-head-coach/

If he does come here, it'll  be interesting to see how much he ends up getting, compared to those others. Especially McDaniel. 

That was shot down by his agent. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson apparently wants at least $15 million per year to be a head coach

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lions-offensive-coordinator-ben-johnson-apparently-wants-at-least-15-million-per-year-to-be-a-head-coach/

If he does come here, it'll  be interesting to see how much he ends up getting, compared to those others. Especially McDaniel. 

I think it was Josina Anderson that quoted that one but his agent came out and said that wasn't true.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/21/lions-ben-johnson-agent-salary-head-coach

“I'm told personnel around the league are discussing their awareness that there is no asking price or demand and this tweet is 100% false and irresponsible reporting, per source,” Flowers wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, in response to Anderson.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to a SF reporter who covered Peters suggest he thinks (like just about everyone else does) he likely goes QB at #2.  He talked about when Kyle-Lynch-Peters started the regime they waited some for going after the young QB in part because they thought they had a shot at Kirk and he believes they all regret it and learned from that experience.

Goff has some good seasons in LA.  Getting Howell going isn't about reviving him -- he's trying to establish himself.

Hopefully, Johnson can establish Howell.  You think Johnson, if hired as HC is ALL in on Maye?  Do you think Peters is too?

49 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Ill be shocked and bummed if Mayhew is retained. Our drafting has been horrible. Sure maybe it was all Ron but I see folks here knowing more about the players on our roster than anyone Snyder selected.

With all due respect, I couldn't begin to possibly judge Mayhew or Hurney or any other front office guy because of the RR/Snyder factors involved. For all I know Mayhew is tremendous at his job which is primarily behind the scenes and secondary to what RR controlled. If Peters likes working with Martin Mayhew then who am I to judge? Mayhew is a Redskin, I like that, and if Peters thinks he would be a good leutenant then that's good enough for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

2nd most important guy on the team is the backup QB.  If you look around the league 54 different QB's started in the NFL this year and 68 the prior year.  Howell has value here in a backup role.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-qb-injuries-a-look-at-all-16-starters-whove-been-sidelined-in-2023-with-justin-herbert-now-joining-them/#:~:text=Dec 2023·Pick Six NFL&text=This season%2C 54 different starting,set last year of 68.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

No. He develops both the rookie and Howell. Howell probably ends up as a quality backup like Colt McCoy or if he improves a lot a potential trade chip next year or comp pick when he leaves in FA.

Be ironic if its Ben Johnson and they draft Maye.  Working two North Carolina QBs at once.

Yeah I am getting the vibe too that Jay Gruden's (among others) comparisons of Howell to Minshew isn't crazy.   I had some optimism about Howell when he had those three big games in the middle of the season.  But him fading since the first Dallas game along with me not thinking his upside is very high -- makes me wonder if his ceiling is anything greater than being a middle of the road starter.  I do think at a minimum he's a good backup.

I'd gag if they ran it back with Howell as the #1 QB.  But I'd suck it up and let it play out.  I doubt it happens though.  I'd say 5% chances tops.

Goff had some really good seasons in LA.  Howell has had one below average season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

That article was printed Dec. 21st and has been debunked the day after that article was published.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Does our free agency success or failure help determine what we do in the draft regarding drafting a QB or trading the #2 overall pick? 

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

I think it was Josina Anderson that quoted that one but his agent came out and said that wasn't true.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/21/lions-ben-johnson-agent-salary-head-coach

“I'm told personnel around the league are discussing their awareness that there is no asking price or demand and this tweet is 100% false and irresponsible reporting, per source,” Flowers wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, in response to Anderson.

I'm probably way off and I am just guesstimating, HigSkin but I think he get's between $10-$11 million annually on a 5 year deal.  

image.png.531274f3570b0856d55b966a2fd164c0.png

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hopefully, Johnson can establish Howell.  You think Johnson, if hired as HC is ALL in on Maye?  Do you think Peters is too?

I got no idea.

But it would be wacky for them to have a to 2 pick in a strong draft for QBs and they just passed them over for a dude who struggled more than not in his first season as a starter.

I was willing to go on the ride with Howell.  I still don't think he's a bust.   I think at a minimum he has a Minshew-McCoy type career.  But I don't see anything about him that screams franchise QB.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Goff had some really good seasons in LA.  Howell has had one below average season.

The sample size for Howell is quite small. I'm not saying I think this how it plays out but it's worth talking about. I think the coaching staff was so bad this year. It's hard to truly make that call. Time will tell.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1

Just now, RVAskins said:

The sample size for Howell is quite small. I'm not saying I think this how it plays out but it's worth talking about. I think the coaching staff was so bad this year. It's hard to make truly make that call. Time will tell.

You have to take a QB though to cover that bet. If Howell blossoms then you’re in Drew Brees/Phillip Rivera territory.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got no idea.

But it would be wacky for them to have a to 2 pick in a strong draft for QBs and they just passed them over for a dude who struggled more than not in his first season as a starter.

I was willing to go on the ride with Howell.  I still don't think he's a bust.   I think at a minimum he has a Minshew-McCoy type career.  But I don't see anything about him that screams franchise QB.  

I expect them to draft a QB at #2 I am just curious as to who fits what Peters/Johnson would like at #2.  Is it Williams, Maye, Daniels?  

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

think it was Josina Anderson that quoted that one but his agent came out and said that wasn't true.

Yeah, I thought it sounded a little ridiculous myself, and thought it most likely had been mentioned somewhere in the thread before, but I am curious to see what his contract ends up looking like,  compared to those others. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'm probably way off and I am just guesstimating, HigSkin but I think he get's between $10-$11 million annually on a 5 year deal.  

image.png.531274f3570b0856d55b966a2fd164c0.png

If you take a look outside the top talent, it's significantly lower.  Given he's 1st year and inexperienced, I would suspect it's half that but we'll see.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/how-much-nfl-head-coaches-make-exploring-5-highest-lowest-paid-coaches-2023

As of 2023, the average NFL head coach earns approximately $6.6 million annually

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

You have to take a QB though to cover that bet. If Howell blossoms then you’re in Drew Brees/Phillip Rivera territory.

True. And both would be on rookie contracts. Interesting times ahead for us for sure.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Does our free agency success or failure help determine what we do in the draft regarding drafting a QB or trading the #2 overall pick? 

Zero IMO.

There is a reason why every mock drafter that I've noticed has us either staying put at #2 or trading up to #1.  This franchise hasn't been relevant and QB has been a major part of that narrative.  No one is really talking about this team passing over a rare lottery ticket aside form 5 or 6 people on the board.

To each their own.  But personally I think its insanity.   The only rationale I can see (and I seriously doubt its the case) is if Peters thinks he has a secret sauce to know that a QB a little further down the draft is better than Caleb-Daniels-Maye.   As far as the odds they do nothing at Qb and build around Howell?  I'd guess 1% tops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

That can be true sometimes, but Peters is himself a personnel guy, he’s already been grading and boarding these guys. It’s early in the process so it’s not like he had a finished big board. And he’ll be operating with reports from our current scouts, sure. But he’s already been on the job all season. It won’t be fully his show until he fills out the scouting department with his own hires, and building a big board is a collaborative process, but ultimately you’re trusting in the eyes of the stud evaluator you just hired. And he’ll be making the picks. 

I can see this working one of three ways:

1. Peters nails this draft, everyone here gives him credit. 

2. Peters botches this draft, people make excuses for him. 

3. Peters botches this draft, the honeymoon stage is officially over. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I can see this working one of three ways:

1. Peters nails this draft, everyone here gives him credit. 

2. Peters botches this draft, people make excuses for him. 

3. Peters botches this draft, the honeymoon stage is officially over. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, Kyle is making $14 million a year and hasn't won a SB.  Salaries continue to skyrocket for HCs and GMs.  It wouldn't shock me to see a $10 million dollar a year contract for Johnson.  He's the most coveted right now.  

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I expect them to draft a QB at #2 I am just curious as to who fits what Peters/Johnson would like at #2.  Is it Williams, Maye, Daniels?  

Don't know.  If Purdy or Goff is the template than I gather Drake Maye.  But Ben Johnson is known to be a chameleon as to what he likes so i am not assuming Goff is his prototype.

Drake Maye IMO isn't so much that his skill set reminds me of either QB.  But IMO he's the most pro ready as to visual processing-setting protections and is the best pocket passer of the three.  And there are more parallels on that front to those 2 QBs.  Maye is more talented than either QB -- stronger arm and the better athlete.

Johnson being from North Carolina I'd assume would have good intel on Maye.

Ultimately I think it comes down to 2 things - do the Commies get a huge offer for the #2 pick, and how much confidence do they have in Williams or Maye.  Is this really like choosing between the next Mahomes or Herbert, or is it more like between Vince Young and Daniel Jones.

Howell won't be the starting QB, but they could amass more picks and sign a FA caretaker vet QB... maybe even Russell Wilson. Or if they really think Maye is the guy, pull the trigger.

What I don't see happening is trading the farm to move up one spot, not when analytics are supposed to be driving the decisions.

• Like 1