Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Florio the now saying the hiring of Peters might have been wrapped up before the season ended,  probably wants us to lose a draft pick.

They should ban him from doing commentating of any form for the NFL.  He's an NBC product though so it fits him. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He also said that he recently learned that the first draft afte ra team hires a new GM isn't typically that GM's draft board.  Feels that Peters' first complete draft for us will be next year.

Your buddy could be correct as it relates to other teams where the previous GM wasn't Ron Rivera.  Peters' first draft will most definitely be THIS year.

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wondering what the potential link is between Peters and Ben Johnson that has so many people so sure he's the top choice.

Apparently there is some kind of penis name fraternity that these guys are in....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I can dig on Slowick as HC. Probably even prefer him.

@Skinsinparadise has a good point that Slowick is calm, cool and collected, which is great.  Ben Johnson has more energy.  

You don't need to be "ra ra" to be an NFL coach.  But a certain level of enthusiasm and energy is helpful.

You don't want Norv.

That said, neither Reid nor Belichick are exactly overflowing with energy.  

But if you look at the trend, the McVays, LaFleurs, McDaniels, etc.  they all have quite a bit of personality around them.  

From a scheme perspective, I prefer Slowik.  From a "just worked with a young QB, do it again" perspective, I prefer Slowik.

From a "leader of men" perspective?  I honestly don't know.  That might be Ben Johnson.

I DO know Ben Johnson runs the ball a hell of a lot more than I like, and in the games which they lose, they run, run, run, run, run and run some more to stick with it, punt a lot, and then lose.  In the games they win, they run and it works, and they can get to play action and other things, and it's an extremely efficient, explosive offense.  

If the Bucs stop the run this weekend, the Lions will lose.  It's that simple an equation.  In each of the games I've watched of theirs, they have no plan-B.  Now, that could be because Goff is at best average, and Johnson knows this, and he's protecting him.  

Counter to my schtick, I actually do appreciate a running game.  And I think it's important.  But I also think you have to mix run and pass, and be able to adjust from one to the other when something isn't working.  EB absolutely could not do that and got stuck on pass pass pass visit the QB in the hospital.  I fear Ben Johnson is the other side of the coin.  But we'll see.  

** Another reason I prefer Slowik: When they put that graphic of the 18 HC's who were on Mike Shanahan's 2013 staff that went 3-13, Slowik would be on it and he would be OUR head coach, so year, it would have taken 11 years, but we finally would have gotten one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

*Rant on* Right JP Finlay. You also said the GM announcement would come next Wednesday. This shows you among others have any real knowledge. You're just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. *Rant off* Carry on everyone.

No he didn’t say that. He said he “would imagine a decision wouldn’t last longer than next Wednesday”.

23 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He also said that he recently learned that the first draft afte ra team hires a new GM isn't typically that GM's draft board.  Feels that Peters' first complete draft for us will be next year.

Thing is Peters was already working on his draft board in SF. If he was a hire off the street I might agree with this. He will be fully involved in our draft imo. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Florio the now saying the hiring of Peters might have been wrapped up before the season ended,  probably wants us to lose a draft pick.

Florio is an idiot. I don't know why anyone pays him any attention. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

31 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

he thought doctson was good and for years after he busted insisted he was good

he doesn't know ****

but it's dan and bruce's fault.

Peters drafted Trey Lance and a slew of other bad players but who cares?   I know i don't

That's not how you judge a draft.  If we cherry pick the bad picks of any GM, they are all morons.  I can make fun of them all.

2015 wasn't a bad draft by any measure.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Thing is Peters was already working on his draft board in SF. If he was a hire off the street I might agree with this. He will be fully involved in our draft imo. 

True, but he won't have his staff of scouts, and he won't have had time to evaluate the scouts yet.  There will be very quite movement in the scouting department after the draft.  The scouts contracts typically run through the draft.  And it's a big no-no (might even be against league rules) to poach scouts outside of the appropriate time period.

So while I'm sure Peters himself is up to speed, the infrastructure behind him isn't.  And every scout is not the same.  He physically can not watch film and grade every single possible player.  That's why there is an entire team of people doing it, feeding information up the chain, and then he puts his grade on it, and it moves forward.

So I think there will be a lot of change year over year. 

That doesn't mean he's going to have a "bad" draft this year.  Just that he won't have all the support from the people he really wants this year.  He'll probably find some folks he really likes, and they will be retained, and some he doesn't, and they won't, and that's going to be that.  

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Florio is an idiot. I don't know why anyone pays him any attention. 

You brits are too formal and proper.

I like my version better:

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Florio can go **** himself gently up the ass with a chainsaw.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Peters and Mayhew worked together in San Fran.  Peters will probably need somebody to answer the phones and interact with agents, and things like that.  That's something Mayhew can certainly do. That might only last a season, then they might bring somebody else in.

Mayhew basically looked like an admin assistant for Ron and Hurney on all the draft footage. 

I’d just get rid of him. Why keep hold ? Let go, move on. Half the people on here could do our FA and draft moves 😂

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

Everyone making the Peters-Johnson dick jokes realizes now we'd be locked into Michael Penix, right?

Tell me you haven't logged in in the last 2 weeks without telling me you haven't logged in in the last 2 weeks 😂

20 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

No he didn’t say that. He said he “would imagine a decision wouldn’t last longer than next Wednesday”.

According to JP Finlay, HOFO announcement will be on or about next Wednesday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise has a good point that Slowick is calm, cool and collected, which is great.  Ben Johnson has more energy.  

You don't need to be "ra ra" to be an NFL coach.  But a certain level of enthusiasm and energy is helpful.

You don't want Norv.

That said, neither Reid nor Belichick are exactly overflowing with energy.  

But if you look at the trend, the McVays, LaFleurs, McDaniels, etc.  they all have quite a bit of personality around them.  

From a scheme perspective, I prefer Slowik.  From a "just worked with a young QB, do it again" perspective, I prefer Slowik.

From a "leader of men" perspective?  I honestly don't know.  That might be Ben Johnson.

I DO know Ben Johnson runs the ball a hell of a lot more than I like, and in the games which they lose, they run, run, run, run, run and run some more to stick with it, punt a lot, and then lose.  In the games they win, they run and it works, and they can get to play action and other things, and it's an extremely efficient, explosive offense.  

If the Bucs stop the run this weekend, the Lions will lose.  It's that simple an equation.  In each of the games I've watched of theirs, they have no plan-B.  Now, that could be because Goff is at best average, and Johnson knows this, and he's protecting him.  

Counter to my schtick, I actually do appreciate a running game.  And I think it's important.  But I also think you have to mix run and pass, and be able to adjust from one to the other when something isn't working.  EB absolutely could not do that and got stuck on pass pass pass visit the QB in the hospital.  I fear Ben Johnson is the other side of the coin.  But we'll see.  

** Another reason I prefer Slowik: When they put that graphic of the 18 HC's who were on Mike Shanahan's 2013 staff that went 3-13, Slowik would be on it and he would be OUR head coach, so year, it would have taken 11 years, but we finally would have gotten one!

If you look at rushing attempts per game, 7 of the top 10 teams are in the playoffs, and 2 of the other three that didn't make it came close.  So running the ball isn't exactly some clownshow move.  And I get you are out on Bieniemy now but hung in there with him for a chunk of the season -- I still think he'd be your guy if that's a key driver with you because that dude was really over the top in preferring the pass.

Johnson is more famous ironically for his passing game.  Played QB.  Coached QBs. 

Kyle's offense if that's who Slowik adapts is heavy run oriented.

I mentioned Slowik months back here.  But I've become less steamed about him the more I've digested.  As I've been listening to SF sports writers gush about Peters when asked about Slowik they give off the vibe that he's a nice guy but they are a bit surpised he's a HC candidate considering while he's a nice guy, they nicely describe him as a low key-non-charasmatic-not a leader of men type.

But I do recall this dynamic didn't bother you when you pushed the idea of Scott Turner as a legit HC candidate a couple of off seasons ago -- I pushed back on his low key personality but that didn't move you.  So I wouldn't expect it to bother you with Slowik. 

Do you have to be charamatic to be a good HC?  Nope.  But I do think its a good arrow to have in your quiver.  I am good with Slowik but he hits me with more red flags that's all.    If you listen to Keim-Jones, other front offices aren't valuing the other young offensive coordinators (implying Slowik, too) in the same orbit as Johnson. 

Dan Campbell turned heads when he put together a staff made up mostly of ex-NFL players, but it has been a career coach who had no initial plans of getting into the business who has helped jumpstart the team’s passing game.

Tight ends coach Ben Johnson has taken on increased responsibilities as a pseudo pass game coordinator the past five weeks.

Johnson described his role Friday as being “maybe a little bit more hands-on with a couple different position groups” while still coaching tight ends. But everyone from Campbell to quarterback Jared Goff has credited him as a key figure in the collaborative process designed to get more out of the Detroit Lions’ languishing offense.

The Lions (1-10-1) are looking for their second straight win Sunday when they play the Denver Broncos (6-6) at Empower Field at Mile High.

“Ben’s been awesome,” Goff said Wednesday. “Ever since I got here, he’s been one the guys that you can kind of rely on as a good voice and understands kind of everything we’re trying to do. Since he’s been in that role, being able to lean on him and asking these questions and having him take some ownership over some stuff has been really cool. He’s a guy who’s got a lot of experience in the quarterback room and applying himself back in his time. But it’s been a lot of fun working with him.”

Johnson was a walk-on quarterback at North Carolina who fashioned himself as “a math geek” before landing a graduate assistant position at Boston College under his former UNC offensive coordinator, Gary Tranquill, in 2009.

He spent three seasons with the Eagles, the last as tight ends coach, and the past decade as an NFL position coach with the Miami Dolphins and Lions, where he worked with quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends and learned a variety of systems that he says now form the basis for his schematic philosophy.

“I was in Miami and a veteran coach, we had Al Saunders there at one time, and he said, ‘You can only coach what you know,’” Johnson said. “And I think that’s kind of where I benefit is, I’ve been around a lot of different things. It’s been from Bill Lazor, he kind of brought that Chip Kelly system that Duce (Staley) knows really well up in Philly, and the digit system. He was doing the Mike Martz pass game, and then Mike Sherman was more west coast, and then Adam Gase has been more the Peyton Manning offense, the Omaha, Omaha that Jim Bob Cooter had here.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/12/12/detroit-lions-offense-ben-johnson-nfl-coach-jared-goff-dan-campbell/6475511001/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I wonder if that individual is one of those poor souls that didn't get to experience 1981-1992 like I did, or 1971-1976 as some others did? I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be born in the late eighties or nineties and been indoctrinated into this. Yikes. I should've been a Niner fan, but my brother got to me first and made me a Redskins fan back in '78 or '79, so at least I got to experience Gibbs I (which oddly corresponded almost exactly with my public education years (Kindergarten was that 1980 Pardee year, and 1992-1993 was my senior year of High School, so it made for nice years, for the most part, except when the Niners killed us in '81, '84, '85, '88, '90, '92 etc). 

• Like 1