Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Paddleboat Ron leaves, is promoted, or traded at the deadline, who do you want as our next coach?

Redskinscub

For me it’s either Eric Bienemy or Brian Johnson. No more defensive head coaches, no more retreads. Bring in the hungry and the brilliant offensive minds.  I would prefer EB since Howell clearly had a connection with him already and he’s bringing the best out of Sam.  But Brian Johnson is also quite intriguing, paired with a good GM

• Thumb up 1

The way it is going, I believe there is a real chance that Bieniemy will be offered a Head Coach position next year by a team other than Washington.

Of course, the season may really nose-dive and derail his chances, but there are several things in his favor:

1. Offensive minded coach - that is the new rage, people want offensive HC's

2. Improvement of a "rookie" QB - that is appealing to several teams who will changing HC's

3. Showing he can succeed without Andy Reid

In fact, I think if he wasn't already on staff, more people here would be on the Bieniemy train.

For sure, he has elevated his stock and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to develop my opinion on EB as HC.  I do know, it will not be predicated on making the post season because he has no control over the defense and was not helped in FA or the draft.

image.png.57761ec1e75016cffe201ba0d5f5194e.png

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I know one who wouldn’t be.  

Yeah, we could probably name dozens of posters.  (I'm waiting for the season to end before making a decision.) 

But that statement above is more about the "grass is always greener" effect of fans.  I am AMAZED there are people who want Bill Belichick when he is basically Rivera (elderly, defensive minded, bad GM) with a better past. SMH

:229:The Rook

• 3 weeks later...

Time to dust off this tread....  Thus far I am throwing in my vote for Ben Johnson.  I would prefer us going for a young offensive mind.

If we are going go for an older HC than I would want to go get either Jim Harbough or Dan Quinn.  This is on the assumption that these guys will bring a young offensive mind on the staff as OC.

https://theathletic.com/5066519/2023/11/20/nfl-head-coaching-candidates-2024/

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Brian Johnson

I just hope we bring in a GM first, who makes a calculated decision on the HC. 

yup.  I am just surprised that we are not seeing much smoke surrounding the GM search.

I would want the GM position to be settled by end of the year so we can start interviewing HCs as soon as the season is over.  It would not be ideal for us to start the GM search when the season ends because then there will be definite delay on the HC search.  

the NFL has proven 1 thing to me the last 15-20yrs, keep it simple, don't go outside of the box, hire the fresh new up and coming coordinators as HC (most of them only had 1 maybe 2 decent yrs in their Coordinator roles) 

I say go outside of the box a bit, kinda like the Ravens did when they hired John Harbaugh a ST coach at the time for Reid in Philly.

I want Bubba Ventrone of the Browns, guy was in NE for a bit as a Assistant ST coach then got the ST Coordinator job in Indy and now is in Cleveland and in all his stints the ST has been at or near the top.  High energy guy as well.

I'm tired of things being so predictable in the NFL, stop the retread coaches, don't hire guys who have only been in their Coordinator roles for a 1 or 2 at most.

38 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

the NFL has proven 1 thing to me the last 15-20yrs, keep it simple, don't go outside of the box, hire the fresh new up and coming coordinators as HC (most of them only had 1 maybe 2 decent yrs in their Coordinator roles) 

I say go outside of the box a bit, kinda like the Ravens did when they hired John Harbaugh a ST coach at the time for Reid in Philly.

I want Bubba Ventrone of the Browns, guy was in NE for a bit as a Assistant ST coach then got the ST Coordinator job in Indy and now is in Cleveland and in all his stints the ST has been at or near the top.  High energy guy as well.

I'm tired of things being so predictable in the NFL, stop the retread coaches, don't hire guys who have only been in their Coordinator roles for a 1 or 2 at most.

It’s not just a fad or craze or something, there’s a deeper reason young OC’s get hired at such a high clip in an offensive league. You can hire a stud ST’s coach to be your HC, but anytime you hit on a good playcaller they’re going to be stolen away to be someone else’s HC. So if you want to build that long term playcaller/QB relationship that is essential to so many elite championship caliber regimes, you need to have the offensive genius be the HC. Then they can’t be stolen and your QB gets consistency. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s not just a fad or craze or something, there’s a deeper reason young OC’s get hired at such a high clip in an offensive league. You can hire a stud ST’s coach to be your HC, but anytime you hit on a good playcaller they’re going to be stolen away to be someone else’s HC. So if you want to build that long term playcaller/QB relationship that is essential to so many elite championship caliber regimes, you need to have the offensive genius be the HC. Then they can’t be stolen and your QB gets consistency. 

completely agree with everything you said but if the new HC (who was a ST coach) hires his own guys to run the O and D (kinda like all the HC out there now who were on the Redskins staff at 1 time either w/Shanahan or Gruden) then whats the difference, my point I guess I was trying to make is that not all these new OC and DC with only short time stints as the Coordinator pan out, and maybe their best suited as just a OC or DC...kinda like Norv Turner, Robert Saleh, Staley (with the Chargers) Josh McDaniel to name a few.

Edited by Command The 414

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Brian Johnson

I just hope we bring in a GM first, who makes a calculated decision on the HC. 

I’d interview:

Ben Johnson 

Scott Waldren

Brian Johnson

Bobby Slowik

Mike MacDonald

Brian Flores

I’d look at Ejiro Evero for DC if the new Carolina coach wants to bring in their own DC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

completely agree with everything you said but if the new HC (who was a ST coach) hires his own guys to run the O and D (kinda like all the HC out there now who were on the Redskins staff at 1 time either w/Shanahan or Gruden) then whats the difference, my point I guess I was trying to make is that not all these new OC and DC with only short time stints as the Coordinator pan out, and maybe their best suited as just a OC or DC...kinda like Norv Turner, Robert Saleh, Staley (with the Chargers) Josh McDaniel to name a few.

The difference is that those coordinators get stolen from you, and you have to have a deep, elite coaching tree pipeline to keep replacing them with viable alternatives. Non-offensive HC’s fail every year because they lost the coordinator that made their elite QB hum. 

All those ex-Shanahan/Gruden assistants who head coach their own teams now are kinda what I’m talking about—they are the playcallers, so they can’t be stolen again. And Kyle Shanahan’s teams never missed a beat because at the end of the day, he was still the playcaller and offensive genius behind it all, he just collected and groomed other intelligent young offensive coaches. So when you have a Kyle (or now one of his disciples) you can grow the coaching tree but that takes time, and eventually you’re going to run out of branches and it comes crashing down. 

For me, that’s why I don’t want a HC who isn’t an offensive guru. It can be done, but you rely too much on the quality of other assistants to maintain consistency when you have even a smidge of success with a QB. 

You‘re right that you’re taking a risk when you do that—but that’s the case with any unproven coordinator, including a ST’s guy. Nothing makes them infallible, offensive guys aren’t inherently more risky there’s just a lot of them being hired, so there’s a lot of them being given the chance to fail, which is normal. And guys who are already “proven” HC’s failed in some other way, and you usually don’t want to take the risk on a retread either except in special circumstances.

The upside about there being 7-10 HC openings is that most of the previous staffs are going to be let go, which also means there are going to be a number of great DC candidates and rising position coaches under them. For DCs, off the top of my head, you are going to have Dennis Allen, Leslie Frazier, Eberfluss, Evero and Staley available at a minimum and you may also have McDermott and Saleh. Lot there to choose from. These guys also mostly have strong defensive position coaches currently working for them. 

• Like 2

I definitely do not want Bellichek making any personnel moves if he comes here as coach.

He cannot figure out QB nor WR; clearly spoiled by Brady riding his coattails for a long time now.  Final nails in the coffin?  Clinging onto DeVante Parker. Not using Mike "2 Targets" Gesicki. Letting Jakobi Meyer walk who looks suddenly fantastic in Vegas. 

There is just too much smoke about him going to a mystery team... its so us. No other team mid season was so ripe for a predictable HC vacancy when the talks were clearly being held. I am fine if he wants to be our DC but would rather take his son.