Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hamas Attacks Against Israel

Fergasun

20 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If it is what leads the the words recognition of the Palestinian state why wouldn’t it be?

In recent history, you could pick the date Israel targeted the aid convoy. Or the assault of Raffa. Or the future date when Netanyahu dies. Finding a solution to fix the cluster**** that is this particular part of the Middle East does not have to be seen solely as rewarding Hamas.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

In recent history, you could pick the date Israel targeted the aid convoy. Or the assault of Raffa. Or the future date when Netanyahu dies. Finding a solution to fix the cluster**** that is this particular part of the Middle East does not have to be seen solely as rewarding Hamas.

image.gif.438d24d461b611fb4fefe894a3ea21a8.gif

very optimistic of you to say they wouldn’t choose the date they killed the most Jews as the day to celebrate.

Your 60s soap opera memes have no meaning to this immigrant. :ols:

Palestine and Gaza is not Hamas. An entire generation in Gaza had never seen as Israeli tank until Hamas did October 7.

The US and the rest of the world would not be providing the aid they are if Hamas ran Gaza.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

Avoiding a future where Oct 7th and Hamas become important is easy.  Get serious in conversations with the PA over creating a Palestinian state.  If the only way to create a Palestinian state is through violence, then if the Palestinians ever get a state then the day will probably be day associated with violence.  The key is then to create a path to a viable independent state through an organization that isn't (openly) supporting violence.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Use that noodle, coeds!

As an aside, Morehouse Men are protesting Joe coming here for the their commencement address, 

Of course, the Spelman Girls are in solitude. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Sad 1

Israel's Independence Day reads like the day it was formally established as an official sovereign state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(Israel)

They give it flexibility to keep it from falling in the sabbath...point I see here is there's no need to overthink this.

The day Palestine is formally recognized as a separate sovereign state (if that ever happens) would be a more then appropriate choice for Independence Day.

People talking about October 7th are jus starting ****...

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Israel's Independence Day reads like the day it was formally established as an official sovereign state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(Israel)

They give it flexibility to keep it from falling in the sabbath...point I see here is there's no need to overthink this.

The day Palestine is formally recognized as a separate sovereign state (if that ever happens) would be a more then appropriate choice for Independence Day.

People talking about October 7th are jus starting ****...

I did a little looking.  Most countries that are born of violence celebrate some day other than an important violent day as their national holiday.

(Though there are exceptions e.g. Bastille day)  It certainly is possible that the Palestinians would celebrate Oct. 7th, especially if Hamas ends up being the entity that brings them a state.  But there is plenty of precedent for them to pick something else (a day when the final documents are signed or they have a "national" election, etc.)  We celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  Not the battles of Concord and Lexington or the Battle of Trenton, or the Battle of Yorktown.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I did a little looking.  Most countries that are born of violence celebrate some day other than an important violent day as their national holiday.

(Though there are exceptions e.g. Bastille day)  It certainly is possible that the Palestinians would celebrate Oct. 7th, especially if Hamas ends up being the entity that brings them a state.  But there is plenty of precedent for them to pick something else (a day when the final documents are signed or they have a "national" election, etc.)  We celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  Not the battles of Concord and Lexington or the Battle of Trenton, or the Battle of Yorktown.

Glad you brought up ours.

That was the day we "said" we were independent by finally signing the declaration before sending it to the King.

We still had to earn it the hard way 6-8 years later (Treaty of Paris was technically two years after Battle of Yorktown).

Had to follow up on me hearing many thought July 2nd should be instead of the 4th (since thats when the decision to formally declare Independence was voted on amd "yes" won). 

The reasons as to "why" we declared Independence was signed on the the 4th but way I'm reading it (anyone can correct me) the King of England at the time didn't even get the copy sent to him directly until August that same year (and we took names off the copy we sent him to shrink his official list of people to kill).

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think some of you are being too literal. I took it more as "we can't let events like Oct 7th be a manner in which places earn their independence."

There needs to be a converse, though.  What should desperate, oppressed people do to earn their independence?  Something that will actually work.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

There needs to be a converse, though.  What should desperate, oppressed people do to earn their independence?  Something that will actually work.

To be clear, are you defending the actions that day?

47 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think some of you are being too literal. I took it more as "we can't let events like Oct 7th be a manner in which places earn their independence."

Is that even a serious proposal or just something far-right came up with out of thin air to get mad at and speak into existence to get other people mad?

That shouldn't be the date, but I'm not sure we should even entertain this debate if it's specifically designed to be chum thrown in the water.

Swim away.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

To be clear, are you defending the actions that day?

I'm saying that desperate people do desperate things.  Telling them "don't do that" doesn't help if there's no viable alternative given.

• Like 2

Well, I’ll be darned…we fixed it!

All we need now is some intrepid campus lefties to head over this summer and show these sweethearts how to do a constitutional convention, brotherly love-style!

#peacetrain

#allaboard

IMG_1888.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm saying that desperate people do desperate things.  Telling them "don't do that" doesn't help if there's no viable alternative given.

You didn't answer my question. A simple yes or no will do 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It isn't like Hamas invented terrorism or taking hostages.  And historically some times it works and some times it doesn't.  The long term impacts on the people/society tend to be minimal.

And it isn't like some other group in a similar situation isn't going to try because it didn't work for Hamas (if it doesn't).

Now in the context of us ("WE"), what are we supposed to do?  Let Israel commit something akin to genocide and kill everybody in Gaza and then invade Lebanon so that Oct 7th doesn't become an important date in the Palestinians winning independence?

Is that the argument?  How do you get from here to there being a Palestinian state without Oct. 7 being important?

Israel could have prevented this by sitting down with the PA and others and negotiating the creation of a Palestinian state 20 years ago.  And at some level if they did so today, they'd at leas minimize the effects of Oct. 7, but even if they do, some will always point to Oct. 7 as being the thing that drove them to the table.

(Realistically, it is a dumb talking point because it doesn't give any clear options.  It is a great sounding statement, but what does it practically mean.  Really, I suspect whoever started that idea is against the creation of a Palestinian state.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

I would have asked, "Is Israel really at risk of losing this war?"  It's insane to frame this as "the Jewish state is at risk."  This is not an existential threat war.

Recently the UN general assembly voted to allow Palestinian state full membership.  Israel responded by sending up their delegate to compare Palestine to Nazi Germany and shred the UN charter. 

Edit:  it is not full membership, which requires security council approval.  The US is blocking full membership.  The recent vote was for certain rights and priviledges. 

Edited by Fergasun
Clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I would have asked, "Is Israel really at risk of losing this war?"  It's insane to frame this as "the Jewish state is at risk."  This is not an existential threat war.

It’s not predictable what happens in that region if it becomes clear US support is dwindling. how others react, how Israel

deals with it, what the US would and wouldn’t do, is all guessing. 

it’s certainly plausible that it could be problematic for Israel. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Recently the UN general assembly voted to allow Palestinian state full membership.  Israel responded by sending up their delegate to compare Palestine to Nazi Germany and shred the UN charter. 

Edit:  it is not full membership, which requires security council approval.  The US is blocking full membership.  The recent vote was for certain rights and priviledges. 

It’s the Israeli ambassador. What did we expect?

I agree with Lindsay Graham. Do the job.

But as soon as the job is done there isn’t a reason not to allow Palestinian statehood, though. I doubt he agrees with that.

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I shed no tears for the Palestinians. What Hamas did on Oct 7th is absolutely beyond evil. 

Is this American privilege?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84