Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Bea

KDawg

While embarrassing, what happened last night was probably the best thing that could happen for the long term health of this franchise. Many of us have been calling for a complete and total overhaul of this franchise from the ground up. Events like last night bring that closer to happening. We have a QB, some weapons and a couple of pieces on the DL. Tear the rest of it down and rebuild it the right way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

You still have to play balanced ball to score points. And you have to rest your D.  I know but when they came back against Philadelphia, they did it by playing balanced ball.  They ran the ball a lot to get back in it.   It is a poorly coached team.

The running game got blown up by the Bears early, 3rd and 1 Gates gets blown up. 2 -3 and outs while the D gives up 17. Can't be balanced if you cannot block. Bears were in backfield all night.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We have a QB, some weapons and a couple of pieces on the DL. Tear the rest of it down and rebuild it the right way. 

Tough to say, because I do like Sam - but a complete overhaul likely means complete overhaul.  New regime will want their own QB.  Probably also a great time to dump salaries of the fan favorites and legit start from scratch.  

• Like 1

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

I watched some of the pregame on Amazon last night and all of the commentators picked Washington to win except Fitzpatrick.  At the time

I thought he was nuts but it turns out he knows his former team well.

Yep!  The one guy with insight to that locker room.  Still a lot of carry over from last year.  Who are the leaders on this team?

• Thumb up 1

I posted a gif of this in the game thread last night but it's worth another look because this is exactly how i felt watching that game last night.

After years of abuse that cosmic level of incompetence on a scale I'm not sure I've ever seen before, this is all I could do.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Is it possible that the players sent a message to the new ownership that they want a coaching change?  They knew the owner would be in his box

watching.  How do you play so well against the Eagles and lay down for the Bears?  Glad Magic Johnson sent out the tweet.  He calls them as he

sees them.

Could be… the first half felt like someone put NyQuil in their Gatorade. I’ve never seen a team look so flat all at the same time. 

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Tough to say, because I do like Sam - but a complete overhaul likely means complete overhaul.  New regime will want their own QB.  Probably also a great time to dump salaries of the fan favorites and legit start from scratch.  

Where are they getting this new QB from though? We might win just enough games not to go #1. You will need to go #1 to get Williams. 

Why keep using the verbiage "saddle the new regime with Sam Howell"?

If Howell is the QB here next year he can't be "saddled". He would have to be chosen by the new regime as a stop gap type or as the franchise guy to be the QB. It can only be saddling if someone forces the new regime to keep him.

Who's going to force that change?

Harris likely wouldn't. No one else is here to do so. 

Snyder saddled Rivera. Snyder is gone. 

• Like 1

My biggest beef last night was with the coaching. Abysmal all around.

RR did not have these guys ready to go last night. We were nowhere near a bad Bears team. Even worse, he doubled down at the half by doing a little as possible and allowing the players to work it out. That is not leadership, or an effort to take accountability. I'd say he was checked out like a library book but doing pretty much nothing is status quo for Ron on Gameday. That habit looks even worse after games like that.

JDR has been given the lions share of the assets, even pieces he seemingly pounded the table for, and he is failing to produce a unit worth much of anything. Pick an O in the NFL and they seem to have the ability to shred us right now. We are not just giving up yards, but obscene numbers of chunk plays. They are not creating something that is the summation of its parts and are instead being dragged to the depths by the weakest parts of the D unit. Not being able to stop the Bears felt like a bad joke. Making them look like some prolific O transformed things from a comedy to a tragedy.

EB does not look up to the task. Nearly every week he rolls out an unproductive O that seems incapable of putting up points on the board until we are down like 3 Major Tuddys and the opponents ease up and let us have our weekly allowance of offense. It has now occurred in three of our 5 games... and that does not even count the game vs Ari that was a horrific offensive showing in and of itself. And don't get me started on that Run pass ratio. 6 called runs. All game. That is not even bush league. EB has learned nothing and he earned this extra helping of humble pie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Where are they getting this new QB from though? We might win just enough games not to go #1. You will need to go #1 to get Williams. 

Williams listed the teams he wants to play for. Washington isn't on it. He can go back to school.

If there is a whiff of him going to Washington he may not even come out.

I always find it fascinating that people think we can just go get a high end QB... like we haven't been trying for 30 years. 

RUMOR: Caleb Williams Has List Of 5 NFL Teams He’ll Play For, Otherwise He Will Return To USC And “Make More Money” (msn.com)

image.png.9d3867176b6951ab27c0668ea162b4de.png

image.png.bbb05315a32bb11030573c1239e8a0af.png

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Agreed.

But they will want their own, unless Sam performs miracles by showing undebatable growth during however long he’s healthy this season.  

Anything is possible, if willing to part with assets in a trade to move up.  Which if you are doing full rebuild is no big deal.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

I rather keep Sam and build around him instead of trying to reach for the stars and getting burned.  

Whatever we do, I just want for once our entire team to be on the same page. Ownership, FO, head coach. If EVERYONE is on board with Howell then fine. If EVERYONE is on board with moving on and getting their own guy to develop, then I'm fine with that too.

The major downside of keeping Howell is that we've already burned through half his rookie contract at the end of this year. And we'll need to build up the roster. That reduces our window to contend big time. Meanwhile if we draft a QB in the 1st round you get a four year window(five with the fifth year option). And you're probably getting someone with more raw talent and upside(especially if its Williams or Maye).

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

I rather keep Sam and build around him instead of trying to reach for the stars and getting burned.  

Id rather have the best player at the QB position possible. Sam is under contract. If a new group comes in and wants their guy Sam is a tradeable commodity. 

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And I would be fine with that. Howell has shown enough to get some decent compensation in a trade.

9 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Drake Maye and a few others 

Yes it is a good QB class. But if Howell is the guy there is no need to go for one just because you took over the team. A smart coach will know that the team needs a real OL and build it correctly. The whole tear it down rebuild from scratch is just stupid Madden fantasy. (not directed at you but there is a thread on it and it is just silly). 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why keep using the verbiage "saddle the new regime with Sam Howell"?

If Howell is the QB here next year he can't be "saddled". He would have to be chosen by the new regime as a stop gap type or as the franchise guy to be the QB. It can only be saddling if someone forces the new regime to keep him.

Who's going to force that change?

Harris likely wouldn't. No one else is here to do so. 

Snyder saddled Rivera. Snyder is gone. 

I like Sam and believe the odds are inevitably stacked against him.  I don’t expect new ownership to saddle the next regime with anyone.  The likelihood the next regime will choose Howell over their own handpicked guy is incredibly slim unless he defeats all odds and puts the league on notice which is hard to do as 22 year old, in a new offense behind a bad OL, with a bad defense to boot.

• Like 1

Howell would have been great if he went to a team like the Packers or Steelers. Good stable FO and coaching where you know he can stick around and develop and after year 3 or so can really take over and be a good QB. His development is now effed here once the regime gets kicked to the curb. Its not much his fault, he got stuck in a bad situation.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That looks like a complete garbage report. I don't doubt the possibility of Williams returning to school, but that report is junk.

Not the first time that Williams has said that.

Caleb Williams’ father sends a not-so-subtle message to NFL teams (usatoday.com)

image.png.a91f6d24efa2580390c607f149e34b9f.png

There is probably some truth to it. How much? Who knows. I doubt he can make NFL money in college... and this doesn't address the fact that the longer he stays at USC the longer it takes to get to the big money second contract. So he could change if this was even his stance.

My point is these dudes don't grow on trees.